Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not enough space? 12:59 - Oct 7 with 3123 viewssaint901

First post here so please be gentle.

I'm a season ticket holder but for various reasons have seen only two matches so far, Man U and Wolves.

A couple of observations.

Against Man U, we seemed focused and were at full concentration and importantly looked as though we would survive going behind if we had to. Against Wolves, there was no intensity and no prolonged pressure on the goal and all too often the high press was bypassed. I put this down to a lack of focus and concentration. This is something RH jas to sort and quickly.

Tactically, I'm a long way from convinced that KWP neither understands what he is meant to do at left back nor what his football instincts tell him to do.

When we were attacking he was filling the left wing channel and that left Redmond no option but to go inside which is where Wolves outnumbered us. I would have liked to have seen KWP go inside the wing position and leave Redmond outside. Let's face it, WP has no left foot and when he gets the ball wide, he comes inside or hits a poor cross. In turn that leaves Adams and Armstrong uncertain about which position to be in or post to attack. They need to be given good service or no service. Having inconsistent service is hopeless.

Further, when Wolves had the ball, WP went inside toward the centre backs and left the wide man to Redmond. There was no cover in the Wolves inside right position which pulled Redmond inside, giving Wolves and easy out ball to the wide right. If WP had been 10 yards further to the left, he would have stopped that. For me that's a lack of instinct at being a left back. (I hope it's not what he has been told to do.

Just a personal view.
Not enough space? on 13:08 - Oct 7 with 2609 viewsSonicBoom

Could you just repeat the part where you said the stuff about all of the things ?
Not enough space? on 13:18 - Oct 7 with 2592 viewsDorsetIan

Good to hear a bit of technical analysis on here.

I was really disappointed when Targett left because I though his crossing ability was impressive, and he seems to have continued this at Villa.

I can remember Perraud putting in at least one good cross from the left side, and generally he didn't look a bad player to me, so it's surprising to me that he's been dropped.

I don't think Ralph has realised quite how difficult this season is going to be for Saints, and that arriving at a settled team where everyone can get used to knowing where they and everyone else is meant to be is going to be vital. Uncertainty around this sort of thing is helping no one.

And we simply don't have the squad to have the luxury of tinkering with the team each week - particularly as a few of them are busted flushes as far as I'm concerned.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Not enough space? on 13:37 - Oct 7 with 2555 viewsSadoldgit

We aren’t the only club who play right footed people on the left and vice versa. A number of coaches like players to cut inside rather than go on the outside and cross from the byline. The ball often gets played back and a cross delivered from a deeper angle which isn’t ideal and is easier to defend against. I don’t blame Ralph for wanting to play both KWP and TL as full backs but I think most of us would love to see KWP and TL play down the right together.
Not enough space? on 13:55 - Oct 7 with 2537 viewssaintwizzler

Not enough space? on 13:37 - Oct 7 by Sadoldgit

We aren’t the only club who play right footed people on the left and vice versa. A number of coaches like players to cut inside rather than go on the outside and cross from the byline. The ball often gets played back and a cross delivered from a deeper angle which isn’t ideal and is easier to defend against. I don’t blame Ralph for wanting to play both KWP and TL as full backs but I think most of us would love to see KWP and TL play down the right together.

All well and good on the left and right of midfield, but as a full back it’s easier to defend on the side where your natural foot is. Unless your Paolo Maldini of course.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Not enough space? on 14:50 - Oct 7 with 2481 viewsSadoldgit

Not enough space? on 13:55 - Oct 7 by saintwizzler

All well and good on the left and right of midfield, but as a full back it’s easier to defend on the side where your natural foot is. Unless your Paolo Maldini of course.

I played a number of seasons at left back and I am right footed. Never really found it a problem but mind you I was playing at a much lower level. X X1
Not enough space? on 15:25 - Oct 7 with 2440 viewsI_would

Most people on here are not interested in the game and the way we play it only bigging our most average players up like Prowsey and Redmond etc and dreaming of better times. It hasn't occurred to them yet that a manager could get the present group of players to play better and could make some positive changes to the first team.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Not enough space? on 15:56 - Oct 7 with 2410 viewskernow

A Premier League footballer is highly rewarded for being at the top of his game.
He should have two good feet. All the best players do.
Not enough space? on 20:38 - Oct 7 with 2260 viewsBerber

Last season, KWP (WP could be JWP) advanced leaving a gap behind which was exploited repeatedly, with Bednarek usually and sometimes Stephens being too slow to be able to cover effectively. The Wolves game showed a repeat with Livramento advanced, and ditto, goal conceded. What I don't understand, is how come, with two CBs and two 6s, we still get exposed so frequently.

I could live with the FB deficiencies as they bring a lot more to the attack, given how ineffective Walcot, Redmond et al are at getting to the byline. (Incidentally, KWP has done that quite a lot even at LB, so much more effective than Redmond.)
Login to get fewer ads

Not enough space? on 21:21 - Oct 7 with 2233 viewsPatfromPoole

Re the OP.

Welcome to the message board.

May all your contributions be erudite and eloquent.

Top 3 biscuits please.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Not enough space? on 21:56 - Oct 7 with 2202 viewskingslandstand1

Not enough space? on 21:21 - Oct 7 by PatfromPoole

Re the OP.

Top 3 biscuits please.

Not enough space? on 06:31 - Oct 8 with 2143 viewssaintwizzler

Not enough space? on 21:21 - Oct 7 by PatfromPoole

Re the OP.

Top 3 biscuits please.

He/she hasn’t replied with top 3 biscuits yet so he/she are either Old Bill or a Club Plant.
GAO OUT!!!
RALPH IN!!!

Not enough space? on 08:45 - Oct 8 with 2088 viewsdwayne_dibley

Not enough space? on 06:31 - Oct 8 by saintwizzler

He/she hasn’t replied with top 3 biscuits yet so he/she are either Old Bill or a Club Plant.
GAO OUT!!!
RALPH IN!!!

the French have stolen all the biscuits

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Not enough space? on 09:26 - Oct 8 with 2064 viewsAndylad63

Not enough space? on 08:45 - Oct 8 by dwayne_dibley

the French have stolen all the biscuits

"Ou la la" Bonne Maman, mon ami
Not enough space? on 10:33 - Oct 8 with 2038 viewsBison

Not enough space? on 13:55 - Oct 7 by saintwizzler

Exactly and now we have 2 right footed players playing on the left with Redmond pretty useless at crossing with his left and you always know the pair of them will cut in.

We have a left footed left back play him , or perhaps Ralf saw SoG's ploughing his furrow up that left side in his youth and decided that might work.

i cant recall any decent fullbacks playing on their wrong foot , I think England have tried it with Trippier but I didn't think that worked too well and in fact he reverted to Shaw at left-back which was much more effective.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Not enough space? on 12:17 - Oct 8 with 2003 viewspjt50

(True story) Some of you will remember John Sydenham who was the most left footed of left footed players. A work colleague of my cousin was discussing the match on a Monday morning & said how good JS would be if he had 2 feet. One woman in the office overheard this & asked “How can he play football if he's only got one foot?”

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Not enough space? on 12:47 - Oct 8 with 1986 viewsPatfromPoole

Not enough space? on 12:17 - Oct 8 by pjt50

(True story) Some of you will remember John Sydenham who was the most left footed of left footed players. A work colleague of my cousin was discussing the match on a Monday morning & said how good JS would be if he had 2 feet. One woman in the office overheard this & asked “How can he play football if he's only got one foot?”

The woman in your office sounds like a comedy genius, sir.

Is she type to organise all the office parties, and for it to be the absolute highlight of her year?

Not enough space? on 13:58 - Oct 8 with 1967 viewsBerber

Not enough space? on 06:31 - Oct 8 by saintwizzler

GAO OUT!!!
RALPH IN!!!

Well, if it is not
1. Jammie Dodgers
2. Jammie Dodgers
3. Jammie Dodgers
...they can ferk right off.
Not enough space? on 14:41 - Oct 8 with 1959 viewsPatfromPoole

Not enough space? on 13:58 - Oct 8 by Berber

Well, if it is not
1. Jammie Dodgers
2. Jammie Dodgers
3. Jammie Dodgers
...they can ferk right off.

That’s a far more controversial comment than anything anybody has said about Gao….

Not enough space? on 15:45 - Oct 8 with 1946 viewssaintwizzler

Not enough space? on 14:41 - Oct 8 by PatfromPoole

That’s a far more controversial comment than anything anybody has said about Gao….

Is a Jaffa Cake a cake or a biscuit?

Not enough space? on 15:49 - Oct 8 with 1935 viewsPatfromPoole

Not enough space? on 15:45 - Oct 8 by saintwizzler

Hugely excitingly, as somebody who has to deal with the intracacies of VAT law on a regular basis, this was one of the classic cases in VAT law….

(I rather suspect you were testing me on that one, Wiz…..)

https://www.kerseys.co.uk/jaffa-cakes-cakes-biscuits/

Not enough space? on 15:51 - Oct 8 with 1933 viewsPatfromPoole

I am available at a highly competitive price to liven up any office party, BTW………

Not enough space? on 15:54 - Oct 8 with 1925 viewsDorsetIan

Not enough space? on 15:45 - Oct 8 by saintwizzler

The VAT tribunal spends a good part of its time identifying cakes and biscuits. They ruled that they are cakes.

Not enough space? on 15:57 - Oct 8 with 1921 viewsDorsetIan

Not enough space? on 15:49 - Oct 8 by PatfromPoole

Hugely excitingly, as somebody who has to deal with the intracacies of VAT law on a regular basis, this was one of the classic cases in VAT law….

(I rather suspect you were testing me on that one, Wiz…..)

Sorry didn't spot that you'd beaten me to it!

Not enough space? on 16:12 - Oct 8 with 1913 viewsPatfromPoole

Not enough space? on 15:57 - Oct 8 by DorsetIan

Sorry didn't spot that you'd beaten me to it!

Wiz could surely not have dreamed this would trigger such frenzied activity…….

Not enough space? on 17:11 - Oct 8 with 1887 viewsDorsetIan

Not enough space? on 16:12 - Oct 8 by PatfromPoole

Wiz could surely not have dreamed this would trigger such frenzied activity…….

He's clearly never experienced thrill of a VAT dispute.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024