Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diversity & Pony Tails 09:31 - Jul 27 with 2355 viewsSaintNick

Something struck me last night whilst watching the Engalnd womens game.

Firstly there was not a black player in either side, this morning I looked at the Saints woman's squad, again not a black player or any other person of colour for that matter.

Given the spread ow women's football and the number of black women at the top of the game in other sports, added to our multi racial country i find it hard to believe that there wasn't one black player good enough to play in the England squad.

Secondly literally every player had a blond pony tail, even the manager had that hair do.

Again a look at the Saints squad shows a little more diversity in the hair department, some have dark hair ! but out of 18 players shown, only one had no long hair and pony tail.

I have to say that it must be off putting at corners and set pieces with all that hair flying around

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Diversity & Pony Tails on 09:35 - Jul 27 with 1977 viewsdarthvader

Are you jealous in the hair department Nick? Would you like a whip round for some hair extensions ?

keep the faith coyr

Diversity & Pony Tails on 09:37 - Jul 27 with 1961 viewsSaintNick

Diversity & Pony Tails on 09:35 - Jul 27 by darthvader

Are you jealous in the hair department Nick? Would you like a whip round for some hair extensions ?

If you look at my hair you will see that im still capable of growing a pony tail, it might just take some time and be grey rather than blonde lol

Diversity & Pony Tails on 10:08 - Jul 27 with 1917 viewsBazza

Diversity & Pony Tails on 09:37 - Jul 27 by SaintNick

If you look at my hair you will see that im still capable of growing a pony tail, it might just take some time and be grey rather than blonde lol

There is a black player in the England women’s squad and there have been plenty in the past. What’s your point?
Why is there a disproportionately high number of black/mixed race in the men’s squad?
Diversity & Pony Tails on 10:25 - Jul 27 with 1891 viewsgeezershoong1

I get the impression that some people would rather we lose 'heroically' but score a 'win for diversity'...

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Diversity & Pony Tails on 10:39 - Jul 27 with 1876 viewsPaleRider

Nick - Saints women signed Lexi Lloyd-Smith last week. She is clearly not white!

A bit of simple research would have helped!
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 10:39]
Diversity & Pony Tails on 10:43 - Jul 27 with 1865 viewsSaintNick

Diversity & Pony Tails on 10:08 - Jul 27 by Bazza

There is a black player in the England women’s squad and there have been plenty in the past. What’s your point?
Why is there a disproportionately high number of black/mixed race in the men’s squad?

Im glad to hear it

My y point was about womans football not the mens

In answer to your question I can only assume the figure is disproportionate because they are better players, I have never thought that a white player has been left out for a black player just to fill a quote

Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:04 - Jul 27 with 1845 viewsdwayne_dibley

but are they actually true blondes?

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:07 - Jul 27 with 1830 viewsSonicBoom

What i find odd is we have a large Asian population in this country such as Indians and Pakistani's yet I've never seen an Asian pro footballer. There probably is, but I can't think of ever seeing one in the Premier league. I am not even sure I've seen any represented at academy level but I could be wrong on that.
Login to get fewer ads

Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:15 - Jul 27 with 1804 viewskingslandstand1

Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:07 - Jul 27 by SonicBoom

What i find odd is we have a large Asian population in this country such as Indians and Pakistani's yet I've never seen an Asian pro footballer. There probably is, but I can't think of ever seeing one in the Premier league. I am not even sure I've seen any represented at academy level but I could be wrong on that.

I think there are in hockey, and obviously cricket but that is generally their heritage sports, moreso that football?
Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:17 - Jul 27 with 1797 viewsBerber

Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:07 - Jul 27 by SonicBoom

Hamza Choudhury that we were linked to last summwe?
Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:21 - Jul 27 with 1798 viewsSonicBoom

I agree that cricket and hockey are possibly more popular in the Asian community (or appears to be). But there are plenty of Asian fans at games. Plus many families that were immigrants are now many generations down the line, and are far more integrated into football culture.
Choudry is a good shout though.
Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:31 - Jul 27 with 1784 viewskingslandstand1

Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:21 - Jul 27 by SonicBoom

I agree that cricket and hockey are possibly more popular in the Asian community (or appears to be). But there are plenty of Asian fans at games. Plus many families that were immigrants are now many generations down the line, and are far more integrated into football culture.
Choudry is a good shout though.

I am not too hot on the local football scene, but for those that are, are there many Asian players at that grass root level?

I'll probably get lambasted for not having much knowledge of the game at that level and daren't pass comment on the quality, but I seem to recall back in the day that there were a few from that area that used to play at St Mary's Sports Hall?
Diversity & Pony Tails on 13:01 - Jul 27 with 1720 viewsSaintNick

Diversity & Pony Tails on 11:31 - Jul 27 by kingslandstand1

I am not too hot on the local football scene, but for those that are, are there many Asian players at that grass root level?

I'll probably get lambasted for not having much knowledge of the game at that level and daren't pass comment on the quality, but I seem to recall back in the day that there were a few from that area that used to play at St Mary's Sports Hall?

I played with and against Asian players back in the late 1970's at youth level, I also played against many in the local leagues, some of the best players were of Indian descent, they were certainly no worse or better than the rest of us.

Yes as a percentage there were less Asian players in local football than say those of West Indian descent but I have always found it surprising that virtually none have made it into the professional ranks and zero at the highest level.

Speaking to old pros and coaches from the 70/80's even 90's there was a feeling that they didn't have the bottle and application, or words far ruder and thats why professional clubs didnt want to gamble on taking them on as apprentices etc.

But times have moved on, yet still no change in how many get taken on by clubs.

Likewise there are some Asians at non league level, again none really get picked up by League clubs.

In my experience there was little racism involved in local football in terms of on the pitch, at least by the standards of the time and there were clubs in the local leagues set up by various ethnic communities.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Diversity & Pony Tails on 16:01 - Jul 27 with 1601 viewsHeisenberg

I think it’s about ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity. Kids from inner city areas where most black kids live don’t have access to facilities or parents that can run them around to training sessions or drive them miles for games. Many kids from poorer backgrounds don’t have the same chances as a kid from wealthier families. Alex Scott was saying exactly this last week. I bet if you asked most of the women that play for England they would talk of the sacrifices their parents made. If you are poor from an inner city area you often don’t have that choice.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Diversity & Pony Tails on 16:10 - Jul 27 with 1586 viewssolent_toffee

Diversity & Pony Tails on 16:01 - Jul 27 by Heisenberg

I think it’s about ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity. Kids from inner city areas where most black kids live don’t have access to facilities or parents that can run them around to training sessions or drive them miles for games. Many kids from poorer backgrounds don’t have the same chances as a kid from wealthier families. Alex Scott was saying exactly this last week. I bet if you asked most of the women that play for England they would talk of the sacrifices their parents made. If you are poor from an inner city area you often don’t have that choice.

This is exactly it. I know that we could say that it doesn’t cost much to access football, but there is transport, boots, shin pads, time (a lot of sessions are after schools/evenings when parents are working).

The FA are well aware of this and have a talent pathway programme targeting young girls playing through football via their local CCO’s (charity arms of clubs) who can talent scout them via school sessions, during school times and can make referrals into the programme.

It’s a start anyway.
Diversity & Pony Tails on 16:17 - Jul 27 with 1579 viewsdwayne_dibley

a massive improvement in opportunity since I went to secondary school. In those days only boys did chemistry and physics. Girls did Domestic Science and needlework

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Diversity & Pony Tails on 16:35 - Jul 27 with 1548 viewsBerber

Diversity & Pony Tails on 16:17 - Jul 27 by dwayne_dibley

a massive improvement in opportunity since I went to secondary school. In those days only boys did chemistry and physics. Girls did Domestic Science and needlework

At my Sec Mod, the boys did woodwork, metalwork, technical drawing and “Rural AScience” (gardening).
Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:11 - Jul 27 with 1404 viewsButty101

Ironically the BBC don’t do diversity in the studio after the match. 3 black woman doing the analysis. One is proper street and I can’t understand a word she is saying. Judging by the comments on here the bbc did well to find 3 ex black players

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:15 - Jul 27 with 1399 viewsHeisenberg

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:11 - Jul 27 by Butty101

Ironically the BBC don’t do diversity in the studio after the match. 3 black woman doing the analysis. One is proper street and I can’t understand a word she is saying. Judging by the comments on here the bbc did well to find 3 ex black players

Were you offended when Sky had 5 white blokes on it including Paul Merson who can hardly string a sentence together or George Best slurring his words. I think you’ve got an issue pal.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:39 - Jul 27 with 1370 viewsBicester_North

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:15 - Jul 27 by Heisenberg

Were you offended when Sky had 5 white blokes on it including Paul Merson who can hardly string a sentence together or George Best slurring his words. I think you’ve got an issue pal.

Look sharp, here’s sanctimonious Sebastian jumping to sneering conclusions!

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:40 - Jul 27 with 1366 viewsButty101

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:15 - Jul 27 by Heisenberg

Yeah mate, i wrote asking why there isnt a jenny from the block

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:40 - Jul 27 with 1366 viewsSaintNick

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:39 - Jul 27 by Bicester_North

Lets keep this civil

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:47 - Jul 27 with 1345 viewsButty101

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:39 - Jul 27 by Bicester_North

NT
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 22:54]

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:49 - Jul 27 with 1344 viewsBicester_North

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:47 - Jul 27 by Butty101

NT
[Post edited 27 Jul 2022 22:54]

No need for that I was talking to “Heisenberg”!

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:51 - Jul 27 with 1338 viewsBicester_North

Diversity & Pony Tails on 22:40 - Jul 27 by SaintNick

Lets keep this civil

What’s the problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024