Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Selles said ... and what he meant 11:07 - Apr 4 with 1572 viewsIfonly

From his press conference reflecting on the West Ham game ...

What he said: "We know it’s one goal that puts you in a game or out, up to the goal, nothing happened for them. We had total control of the game. We showed how we are and how we want to play."

What he meant: "To me total control means cancelling out the opposition, it's not about creating chances for ourselves. Even though it was a must-win, all we were interested in doing was cancelling them out and hoping to sneak a goal somehow. This is the Selles style so expect more 4-2-2-2 and no creativity. All we have to do is score one goal because our defence is so well coached by me that we wont concede."

On why he used Maitland-Niles rather than Orsic: ""I think Mislav is a left winger and we brought Ainsley on as he could move inside and make some good positions. He is a player that can play in many positions and I need his calmness and control"

What he meant: "I'm more interested in stopping the opposition rather than giving us a goal threat, even when we desperately need a goal. Putting crosses in to tall Paul is a low priority. I want our midfield players to slow things down and make us very predictable."

On why we played with less intensity after the goal: "I don't think it was the four minutes, I think it was the goal that changed our mentality."

What he meant: "We have no leadership and after the goal, instead of upping the intensity, we just gave up a bit. Maybe that's because, in their hearts, the players knew that the way we were set up, it would be a miracle if we got a goal, let alone two."
What Selles said ... and what he meant on 11:30 - Apr 4 with 1518 viewssaintwizzler

I’d forgotten about that bizarre substitution.
Hasenhüttl the second coming.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 11:36 - Apr 4 with 1520 viewsSouthamptonfan

And he means "I have to play the way the players demand. Nathan Jones as bad as he was, tried to tell the players to be more direct and play a different way. No more compromising he said. They downed tools after that, so we have to play this way. It's player power you see."

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 11:48 - Apr 4 with 1509 viewssledger

hopefully the worst wasters will go when we go down,and will mean some of our youngsters will have a better chance of game time and we have plenty of talent waiting in the wings.First priority at the end of the season get a manager who knows what hes bloody doing.
What Selles said ... and what he meant on 13:04 - Apr 4 with 1437 viewsrobcoe5

Untill we start playing to win games and picking the flair players things won’t change,
I would rather try to win games
Don’t like to say it but Selles is out of his depth
Any of the two recent sacked manager might give us a chance of staying up
What Selles said ... and what he meant on 13:42 - Apr 4 with 1386 viewsSaintNick

Lets be honest over the past few years when we have pressed forward we have always seem to have got caught on the break, whether you are Manchester City or Saints you have to stop the opposition scoring more than you and that means being tight at the back.

Look at the games like Wolves when we poured forward with gay abandon and got caught on the break by a 10 man team, Jones team's had no game management, Selles has stopped us conceding goals but there is a price to pay,

On Maitland Niles, he is primarily an attacking right sided player, he has been shoe horned in as a full back and even a central midfielder and makeshift central defender, but most of his games whether for Arsenal or out on loan have been as a right midfielder /wingback.

But what Selles probably meant was I'm low on choices here I have Orsic who has done very little since arriving and has not shown me anything to believe he will do it now or I have Joe Aribo who has been dire since before the World Cup break as the only other attacking options to Maitland-Niles for the final 10 mins, I'll go with the man who has done more in the past two months

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 14:21 - Apr 4 with 1342 viewsIfonly

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 13:42 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

Lets be honest over the past few years when we have pressed forward we have always seem to have got caught on the break, whether you are Manchester City or Saints you have to stop the opposition scoring more than you and that means being tight at the back.

Look at the games like Wolves when we poured forward with gay abandon and got caught on the break by a 10 man team, Jones team's had no game management, Selles has stopped us conceding goals but there is a price to pay,

On Maitland Niles, he is primarily an attacking right sided player, he has been shoe horned in as a full back and even a central midfielder and makeshift central defender, but most of his games whether for Arsenal or out on loan have been as a right midfielder /wingback.

But what Selles probably meant was I'm low on choices here I have Orsic who has done very little since arriving and has not shown me anything to believe he will do it now or I have Joe Aribo who has been dire since before the World Cup break as the only other attacking options to Maitland-Niles for the final 10 mins, I'll go with the man who has done more in the past two months

Nick, it's about the balance between defence and attack. To me, it was a must-win game and you could see that Selles was 95% concentrated on stopping the opposition. When tall Paul came on that shifted to about 90%. He was given one half chance and hit the bar.

Selles clearly wants to play 4-2-2-2 with high pressing just like Ralph. He even used 11 of Ralph's players. But we know that strategy with those players isn't good enough. It failed long ago. One of the many problems with that tactic is that it needs 100% commitment from the players because it has to be played with high intensity. But if the players stop believing for one second then the intensity drops off and the tactic fails. That happened again on Sunday (it's also a key reason why Liverpool are a shadow of themselves this season).

I would agree that Maitland-Niles has given Selles more than Orsic, but who's fault is that? How much has Selles done to get the best out of Orsic? I suspect what happened was that Selles came in and said "I want you to run around like a blue arsed fly pressing the opposition". Orsic said "that's really not my game" and that was that. The bottom line is that Maitland-Niles is a jorneyman pro who is unlikely to create a goal, while Orsic is a world class talent who is proven at the highest level. It says everything about where Saints are now that at probably the most critical moment of the season when we were desperate for at least one goal, it was AMN who came off the bench and not Orsic.
What Selles said ... and what he meant on 14:52 - Apr 4 with 1325 viewsGRIM

When we brought in the new players in January they should have come straight into the team playing regularly & built the team around them. (with the exception of James Bree because he's not good enough)
We needed that radical change to turn our season around.
It's no good giving them 10 mins occasionally, they need a chance to prove themselves.
We'll probably lose all of them at the end for the season without knowing what they are capable of.
Plus by not playing them we have devalued their sell on price.
We'll lose money on all of them.
What Selles said ... and what he meant on 14:53 - Apr 4 with 1324 viewsSaintNick

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 14:21 - Apr 4 by Ifonly

Nick, it's about the balance between defence and attack. To me, it was a must-win game and you could see that Selles was 95% concentrated on stopping the opposition. When tall Paul came on that shifted to about 90%. He was given one half chance and hit the bar.

Selles clearly wants to play 4-2-2-2 with high pressing just like Ralph. He even used 11 of Ralph's players. But we know that strategy with those players isn't good enough. It failed long ago. One of the many problems with that tactic is that it needs 100% commitment from the players because it has to be played with high intensity. But if the players stop believing for one second then the intensity drops off and the tactic fails. That happened again on Sunday (it's also a key reason why Liverpool are a shadow of themselves this season).

I would agree that Maitland-Niles has given Selles more than Orsic, but who's fault is that? How much has Selles done to get the best out of Orsic? I suspect what happened was that Selles came in and said "I want you to run around like a blue arsed fly pressing the opposition". Orsic said "that's really not my game" and that was that. The bottom line is that Maitland-Niles is a jorneyman pro who is unlikely to create a goal, while Orsic is a world class talent who is proven at the highest level. It says everything about where Saints are now that at probably the most critical moment of the season when we were desperate for at least one goal, it was AMN who came off the bench and not Orsic.

You make some good points, the problem Selles has is that he lacks defenders that can defend, so he has to play in a way that protects his defence from the counter attacks

In terms of Orsic I agree he is a class player, but I have watched him play for the B team and he was anonymous, he hasn't shown anything yet that warrants him getting in ahead of even Maitland-Niles

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Login to get fewer ads

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 15:31 - Apr 4 with 1298 viewsIfonly

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 14:53 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

You make some good points, the problem Selles has is that he lacks defenders that can defend, so he has to play in a way that protects his defence from the counter attacks

In terms of Orsic I agree he is a class player, but I have watched him play for the B team and he was anonymous, he hasn't shown anything yet that warrants him getting in ahead of even Maitland-Niles

When we've played 4-2-3-1 that has allowed the 2 DMs to protect the defence - while also allowing JWP to play further forward at 10 and actually create something. Alcaraz, Stu A and Aribo could also play that 10 role (for SA and JA that role would suit them far better than the ones they're being asked to play).

As for Orsic, fair enough I haven't seen him play for the B side and he hasn't exactly done much for the first team. But again, why is a world class player not producing? Some players just need the manager to believe in them and work on patterns of play that suit them. Marcus Rashford is a good example in the same position. He went through a period of being totally anonymous, was said to be on his way out of Man U and then Ten Haag comes in and works with him and suddenly he looks like a world beater again.
What Selles said ... and what he meant on 15:43 - Apr 4 with 1287 viewsIfonly

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 14:52 - Apr 4 by GRIM

When we brought in the new players in January they should have come straight into the team playing regularly & built the team around them. (with the exception of James Bree because he's not good enough)
We needed that radical change to turn our season around.
It's no good giving them 10 mins occasionally, they need a chance to prove themselves.
We'll probably lose all of them at the end for the season without knowing what they are capable of.
Plus by not playing them we have devalued their sell on price.
We'll lose money on all of them.

I agree. We'll lose money on them, apart from anything else, because we'll be forced sellers (as opposed to Selles).
What Selles said ... and what he meant on 17:23 - Apr 4 with 1187 viewspjt50

Average points per game under our 3 managers this season:

RH: 0.86
NJ: 0.37
RS: 1.14

Replicated over the whole season, Selles would have kept us up comfortably with 43 points. Hassenthuttl with a fully-fit squad would likely have improved on his 33 points. Jones' 14 points would have been the second lowest total in PL history.

We'll probably never know the ins & outs of the Jones appointment but it amazes me that the people responsible for the monumental blunder are still in post. The error was compounded by splashing the January transfer budget on players suited to Jones' style of football when he was to get the push within weeks.

With the fat lady (no longer PC, I know) clearing her throat I don't have any sympathy for SFC executives or players — all of whom will do OK for themselves. The ones to suffer are any staff at SFC who might face the threat of redundancy because of relegation and long-suffering supporters.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 19:10 - Apr 4 with 1102 viewssledger

What Selles said ... and what he meant on 13:42 - Apr 4 by SaintNick

as i remember we wernt attacking 10 men with gay abandon more that jones went 5 at the back and invited them to attack and they did just like spurs did yesterday
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024