Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic 14:00 - Jan 11 with 2747 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/61678/southampton-fc-fin

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 14:05 - Jan 11 with 2425 viewsBerber

I am not convinced that “ honoring” the stripes means anything like a return to red and white stripes. The image of the club has been and still is being driven by marketing firkwits.
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 14:49 - Jan 11 with 2338 viewssaints__fan__73

A striped home deck chair shirt every other year is ok.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 15:38 - Jan 11 with 2278 viewsSaintNick

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 14:05 - Jan 11 by Berber

I am not convinced that “ honoring” the stripes means anything like a return to red and white stripes. The image of the club has been and still is being driven by marketing firkwits.

Maybe it is, but surely after rebranding with the "Iconic Stripes" on everything they would be stupid not to change to that design next season, other wise they will look "!marketing firkwits"

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 16:46 - Jan 11 with 2192 viewsNYC_Saint

I got a paper round, washed the neighbors' cars weekly and a lot in between to save up for my first Saints shirt. It was the 88/89 Hummel one. As such I confess to having a fondness for this season's resuscitation of it. However, I totally agree and would prefer is we play in stripes every season.

My guess is the lack of striped teams probably means it's more expensive to producefor the manufacturer. Hence their preference is to just cut and paste colors into a stock templates to present to the club and let the club choose from one of these.
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:07 - Jan 11 with 2156 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Seriously, your club should bin the red and white stripes. There is nothing iconic or original about them. There are at least 4 other clubs who play with the same shirt.

You need to bin the shirt, then either revert to your yellow glory short as the new home kit, or have a new and original shirt with a sash or get some polka dots. But obviously you need to win something with the new design shirt at some stage otherwise it will quickly be forgotten or remembered as another failure shirt.

The red and white tops has not brought you any luck or fortune. Be honest about it to yourselves eh?

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:21 - Jan 11 with 2135 viewsgrumpy

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:07 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Seriously, your club should bin the red and white stripes. There is nothing iconic or original about them. There are at least 4 other clubs who play with the same shirt.

You need to bin the shirt, then either revert to your yellow glory short as the new home kit, or have a new and original shirt with a sash or get some polka dots. But obviously you need to win something with the new design shirt at some stage otherwise it will quickly be forgotten or remembered as another failure shirt.

The red and white tops has not brought you any luck or fortune. Be honest about it to yourselves eh?

I've just had a look at some of your shirts from the past.
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:22 - Jan 11 with 2127 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:21 - Jan 11 by grumpy

I've just had a look at some of your shirts from the past.

Were they winning shirts, or failure ones?
[Post edited 11 Jan 17:23]

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:23 - Jan 11 with 2124 viewsSaintNick

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:07 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Not like the iconic and original Blue Portsmouth shirt, worn by Chelsea, Everton. Cardiff, Leicester, Ipswich, Carlisle United, Peterborough United, Gillingham, Colchester, Stockport County, Wimbledon, Chesterfield, Oldham, Rochdale, Halifax, Southend.

As you will see it is quite a common colour, 17 teams who are in the league or have played in the league recently wear it, when you factor in the number of teams who have blue 2nd or 3rd kits, it truly isnt iconic.

My list above Chelsea, Everton & Leicester aside has one thing in common with Pompey, they have all spent most of their time in the doldrums

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:25 - Jan 11 with 2118 viewsgrumpy

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:22 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Were they winning shirts, or failure ones?
[Post edited 11 Jan 17:23]

What have you seen in yours?
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:27 - Jan 11 with 2115 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:23 - Jan 11 by SaintNick

Not like the iconic and original Blue Portsmouth shirt, worn by Chelsea, Everton. Cardiff, Leicester, Ipswich, Carlisle United, Peterborough United, Gillingham, Colchester, Stockport County, Wimbledon, Chesterfield, Oldham, Rochdale, Halifax, Southend.

As you will see it is quite a common colour, 17 teams who are in the league or have played in the league recently wear it, when you factor in the number of teams who have blue 2nd or 3rd kits, it truly isnt iconic.

My list above Chelsea, Everton & Leicester aside has one thing in common with Pompey, they have all spent most of their time in the doldrums

The point you seem to have missed, is that Pompey are the only club to play with Blue shirts, White Shorts and Red Socks.

Its is an iconic shirt as we have won a few trophies with the kit. It is a successful and original kit.

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:30 - Jan 11 with 2106 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:25 - Jan 11 by grumpy

What have you seen in yours?

Well I have seen a few lower league triumphs? have you?

Then we played in blue, white and red in 2008, but reverted to all blue for the final.

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:33 - Jan 11 with 2082 viewsgrumpy

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:30 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Well I have seen a few lower league triumphs? have you?

Then we played in blue, white and red in 2008, but reverted to all blue for the final.

'Well I have seen a few lower league triumphs?'
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:38 - Jan 11 with 2074 viewsSaintNick

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:27 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

The point you seem to have missed, is that Pompey are the only club to play with Blue shirts, White Shorts and Red Socks.

Its is an iconic shirt as we have won a few trophies with the kit. It is a successful and original kit.

Your blue shirt is hardly original given you didn't play in it till 1912 a few clubs had beaten you to the colour by then, claiming that you are the only team to play in blue shirts, white shorts and red socks is scraping the barrel it just isnt worth wasting 5 minutes researching it, ill only find a few clubs and then you will say that you were the only club playing in elasticated sock tie ups when you won the League back in the Jurassic age.

I suspect that you are the only club who decide to change their socks to the colours of their most hated rivals

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:40 - Jan 11 with 2068 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:33 - Jan 11 by grumpy

'Well I have seen a few lower league triumphs?'

Yes, meaning actually winning a league or two. Have you?

Be honest now

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:45 - Jan 11 with 2058 viewsgrumpy

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:40 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Be honest now

A league or two below us.
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:46 - Jan 11 with 2056 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:38 - Jan 11 by SaintNick

Your blue shirt is hardly original given you didn't play in it till 1912 a few clubs had beaten you to the colour by then, claiming that you are the only team to play in blue shirts, white shorts and red socks is scraping the barrel it just isnt worth wasting 5 minutes researching it, ill only find a few clubs and then you will say that you were the only club playing in elasticated sock tie ups when you won the League back in the Jurassic age.

I suspect that you are the only club who decide to change their socks to the colours of their most hated rivals

Oooh, Nick has done some research, how about that.

The point being, we changed kit, and we won something, thereby making the kit iconic, especially for the south of England.

You werent hated back then, you were just a little cuddly club down south with a quaint little stadium.

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:47 - Jan 11 with 2052 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:45 - Jan 11 by grumpy

A league or two below us.

So, you haven't seen your club win a lower league championship.

OK then.

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:52 - Jan 11 with 2046 viewsSaintNick

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:40 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Be honest now

We won the Southern League when it was the Southern equivalent of the football League and after you were formed and joined that League we won 6 out of the next 8 titles, so yes we have won a league.

How come when I go to Huddersfield their fans dont spend all their time reminding me that they won 3 Division One titles in a row or when we had Bury in the FA Cup a decade or so ago they didn't spend all their time chanting 4-0 at us referring to our meeting with them in the FA Cup final of 1900.

These teams don't cling to their past, you lot do, the 2008 Cup win aside all your stuff was in a different age and of no relevance to anyone these days, try telling a Spurs that you have won the same number of league titles as them and are as big a club, they will laugh in your face.

Stick to clinging to the past and making up myths about Southampton dock strikes, if you read the real history of that you will find out who the real scummers were. 125 years or so ago

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:52 - Jan 11 with 2045 viewsgrumpy

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:38 - Jan 11 by SaintNick

I had you laugh when the Spinnaker Tower was built and they were going to paint it Red and White.They threw their toys out their prams so much they had to change it, then the work was postponed and a council spokesman said it was due a delivery of blue paint being delayed from Lancashire.
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:55 - Jan 11 with 2041 viewsgrumpy

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:47 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So, you haven't seen your club win a lower league championship.

OK then.

That's because we were playing with the big boys.
Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 18:11 - Jan 11 with 2025 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:52 - Jan 11 by SaintNick

We won the Southern League when it was the Southern equivalent of the football League and after you were formed and joined that League we won 6 out of the next 8 titles, so yes we have won a league.

How come when I go to Huddersfield their fans dont spend all their time reminding me that they won 3 Division One titles in a row or when we had Bury in the FA Cup a decade or so ago they didn't spend all their time chanting 4-0 at us referring to our meeting with them in the FA Cup final of 1900.

These teams don't cling to their past, you lot do, the 2008 Cup win aside all your stuff was in a different age and of no relevance to anyone these days, try telling a Spurs that you have won the same number of league titles as them and are as big a club, they will laugh in your face.

Stick to clinging to the past and making up myths about Southampton dock strikes, if you read the real history of that you will find out who the real scummers were. 125 years or so ago

'Stick to clinging to the past and making up myths about Southampton '

"We won the Southern League when it was the Southern equivalent of the football League"

Nick this is one of the most desperate and cringy things you have ever said on this forum, and it is super-hilarious

So, the Southern League was equivalent to a League One title

I honestly think you believe this. How come your club took so long to get to the top league after the leagues were joined??

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 18:13 - Jan 11 with 2021 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:55 - Jan 11 by grumpy

That's because we were playing with the big boys.

Not seen a league triumph in your lifetime then.

Thanks for being so honest.

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 18:16 - Jan 11 with 2017 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:52 - Jan 11 by grumpy

I had you laugh when the Spinnaker Tower was built and they were going to paint it Red and White.They threw their toys out their prams so much they had to change it, then the work was postponed and a council spokesman said it was due a delivery of blue paint being delayed from Lancashire.

Unbelievable attitude, just unbelievable,

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cy0d39ypn2vo
[Post edited 11 Jan 18:17]

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 18:22 - Jan 11 with 1992 viewsSFC_Referee

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 17:27 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

“Successful”
Yeah as winning 1 trophy over almost all your fans lifetimes, whilst spending most of that time down in the depths of the EFL sure is successful! 🤣🤣🤣 As it sure is hard to tell with you bottling promotions so much recently, which yet again looks like it’ll be happening this season!

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 18:26 - Jan 11 with 1984 viewsSFC_Referee

Southampton FC Finally Realise That Their Stripes Are Iconic on 18:11 - Jan 11 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

'Stick to clinging to the past and making up myths about Southampton '

"We won the Southern League when it was the Southern equivalent of the football League"

Nick this is one of the most desperate and cringy things you have ever said on this forum, and it is super-hilarious

So, the Southern League was equivalent to a League One title

I honestly think you believe this. How come your club took so long to get to the top league after the leagues were joined??

Yeah because it isn’t as cringe with some of the stuff you come out with…
But even then you’ve got my sympathy as there’s a reason why you ask any fan of who’s bigger outta the two of us, they’ll all say saints bar you lot and maybe the cherries, who may even become are main rivals one day with how irrelevant you’re becoming to us, being stuck down in the depths of the EFL and just never playing us in the higher divisions anymore.
[Post edited 11 Jan 18:27]

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024