Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge 20:54 - Jan 26 with 7821 viewsmikehunt

WARNING: Don't read this if you don't like religious aguments

Is the muslim call to prayer over loudspeaker legal in this country? Because it was blasted out, loud as you like over Tweedale Street / Rochdale station area a few days back. And my daughter heard it in Blackburn a couple of days ago.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 20:59 - Jan 26 with 4316 viewswroughtironron

Islam is a peaceful religion devoted to equal rights, harmony and integration.

Anyone claiming otherwise, will be stoned to death
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:12 - Jan 26 with 4293 viewsTVOS1907

Must have been a bloody loud speaker system!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:20 - Jan 26 with 4268 viewsDaley_Lama

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:12 - Jan 26 by TVOS1907

Church bells for weddings and services should be vanned too.

#nuicancelawisgash

Poll: DF in or out

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:29 - Jan 26 with 4249 views49thseason

I guess the law will take a similar view to this: http://www.bristol.anglican.org/parish-resources/buildings/church-bells-law-and-
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:51 - Jan 26 with 4188 viewsmikehunt

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:12 - Jan 26 by TVOS1907

He He! My daughter does have an extremely acute sense of hearing. But, seriously, what I heard was very loud. I just wonder if I have missed something. New legislation that allows this sort of thing now or whatever
The mosque near Tweedale Street does use a bell which is not intrusive. But the amplified wailing was. Also, a bell is merely a call. The muezzin is a statement. It's not even in English.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 22:05 - Jan 26 with 4153 viewsdale1968

It was a one off authorised by the authorities due to it being the prophet Mohamed's birthday.
And your right it was bloody loud and quite entertaining.

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 22:09 - Jan 26 with 4143 viewsR17ALE

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:51 - Jan 26 by mikehunt

He He! My daughter does have an extremely acute sense of hearing. But, seriously, what I heard was very loud. I just wonder if I have missed something. New legislation that allows this sort of thing now or whatever
The mosque near Tweedale Street does use a bell which is not intrusive. But the amplified wailing was. Also, a bell is merely a call. The muezzin is a statement. It's not even in English.

You should know by now in England, it's one rule for one, and one for another.

It's the modern way.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 22:18 - Jan 26 with 4123 viewsnordenblue

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 22:09 - Jan 26 by R17ALE

You should know by now in England, it's one rule for one, and one for another.

It's the modern way.

You must leave other cultures to do just as they please in this country for fear of being tarnished racist,have you not read the rules, it baffles me more how these buildings that fly up all over the town get anywhere near passing planning consent,imagine ringing up the council and asking for a giant 50 foot high gold dome on top of your house roof,im sure youd get the thumbs. up.
Login to get fewer ads

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 23:18 - Jan 26 with 4035 viewsAtThePeake

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/84788/rochdale-mu

Tangled up in blue.

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 23:39 - Jan 26 with 4018 viewsoff2div1

I wonder why we don't have many Asian,s coming to the Dale.
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 01:17 - Jan 27 with 3955 viewsTalkingSutty

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 23:39 - Jan 26 by off2div1

And so it begins, another relgious/political thread that usually ends up in posts being deleted/insults being thrown etc. There are loads of forum for this sort of debate so why bring it up on one of a sporting nature?

If its not a regular thing and part of a celebration what harm is the announcement doing. We live in a multi cultutal society, live and let live is my take on it.
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 06:48 - Jan 27 with 3910 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 23:39 - Jan 26 by off2div1

For a town of 100,000 people...I wonder why we don't have many of anyone/anything coming to Dale!
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 07:29 - Jan 27 with 3876 viewsaleanddale

Marketing people take note >>

muslim call to prayer over loudspeaker at Spotland at 1.30pm Saturday ( and every home game )

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 08:27 - Jan 27 with 3809 viewsrod_leach

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 21:51 - Jan 26 by mikehunt

They'll be doing all that religious stuff in Latin next
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 10:33 - Jan 27 with 3704 viewsBobbyjoe

Thing is, if it's not racist I'm struggling to think why anyone would bring the subject up (unless it's a noise abatement issue). Also, I think you're getting the ends of your wedges confused!
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 11:43 - Jan 27 with 3644 viewsD_Alien

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 07:29 - Jan 27 by aleanddale

Marketing people take note >>

muslim call to prayer over loudspeaker at Spotland at 1.30pm Saturday ( and every home game )

I'm sure rkershaw could put some words together to the tune of...

Come on the Sandy, you know you want to!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 13:16 - Jan 27 with 3555 viewsnordenblue

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 10:33 - Jan 27 by Bobbyjoe

Thing is, if it's not racist I'm struggling to think why anyone would bring the subject up (unless it's a noise abatement issue). Also, I think you're getting the ends of your wedges confused!

How is asking a question racist?Its not an insult or offensive its a question?Are people not allowed to question other peoples ways?
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 13:53 - Jan 27 with 3497 viewsBobbyjoe

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 13:16 - Jan 27 by nordenblue

How is asking a question racist?Its not an insult or offensive its a question?Are people not allowed to question other peoples ways?

Just a coincidence, then.
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 14:38 - Jan 27 with 3436 viewsSuddenLad

I think this topic reared its' head a few years ago when the residents (presumably non-Muslim) near to a mosque (in Oxford I think) complained about exactly the same thing. Obviously, 'festival days' caused more disturbance than 'ordinary days' but it was perceived by them to be a 'problem'.

I seem to remember that the response was akin to, the freedom to follow one's religion is an inalienable right, enshrined in Article 18 of the Human Rights Act. That includes its' practices, beliefs, teachings, worship and observance.

There was also a case where a resident was so aggravated that he sat outside the mosque sounding his car horn in protest. He was prosecuted and convicted for 'interfering with a religious ceremony.

Usually common sense prevails after discussions with the Asian elders and the local residents. Specific days are nominated when it is mutually agreed that the calls will take place, but generally these days are only 2 or 3 days per year. What would happen if the muezzin refused to stop the call, one can only speculate.

Tolerance is the word that needs to be emphasised.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 14:52 - Jan 27 with 3400 viewsnordenblue

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 13:53 - Jan 27 by Bobbyjoe

Just a coincidence, then.

Get yourself introduced to a dictionary before posting ridiculous comments,in no way was his question offensive or abusive in any way shape or form,using your analogy would I be racist if I asked the question "why do the Spanish celebrate Christmas twice every year"?
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:05 - Jan 27 with 3384 viewsD_Alien

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 14:52 - Jan 27 by nordenblue

Get yourself introduced to a dictionary before posting ridiculous comments,in no way was his question offensive or abusive in any way shape or form,using your analogy would I be racist if I asked the question "why do the Spanish celebrate Christmas twice every year"?

You've got me wondering what the answer is to that one nb?

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:06 - Jan 27 with 3381 viewsBobbyjoe

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 14:52 - Jan 27 by nordenblue

Well, I can't recall, off-hand, any threads questioning the legality of broadcasting any other loud sounds (music, say, or electioneering, or even tannoy-announcements from football grounds!). Of course I may have missed them.
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:22 - Jan 27 with 3363 viewsnordenblue

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:05 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

You've got me wondering what the answer is to that one nb?

They celebrate the regular christmas as we do in this country and another in January generally called the 3 kings where theres street carnivals where the children line the streets and the procession throws sweets and gifts to everyone within striking distance!!!Sorry for the racist reply
Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:24 - Jan 27 with 3359 viewsD_Alien

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:06 - Jan 27 by Bobbyjoe

Well, I can't recall, off-hand, any threads questioning the legality of broadcasting any other loud sounds (music, say, or electioneering, or even tannoy-announcements from football grounds!). Of course I may have missed them.

I think what nb may be referring to is your choice of the word "racist".

It's what's sometimes known as a category error.

The question in the OP can be interpreted (if you choose to) as anti-muslim, but that's not racist as such.

Indeed, it could be said that you're being racist by inferring racism when the question is one of religion!!

[Post edited 27 Jan 2014 15:25]

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:35 - Jan 27 with 3341 viewsBobbyjoe

Off Topic: Thick End of The Wedge on 15:24 - Jan 27 by D_Alien

I think what nb may be referring to is your choice of the word "racist".

It's what's sometimes known as a category error.

The question in the OP can be interpreted (if you choose to) as anti-muslim, but that's not racist as such.

Indeed, it could be said that you're being racist by inferring racism when the question is one of religion!!

[Post edited 27 Jan 2014 15:25]

It's very convenient for many to hide behind semantics, D'Alien (Not you, I hasten to add), but if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, call it a duck.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024