Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thread 19:31 - Sep 29 with 8006 viewsrafc1984

Dale XI v Shrewsbury Town: Lillis, Cannon, Lancashire, McNulty, Kennedy, Rafferty, Allen, McDermott, Vincenti, Hendo, Andrew.

Subs: Eastham, Lund, Allessandra, RNL, Diba, Camps, Bunney.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2015 19:36]
Match thread on 22:17 - Sep 29 with 2747 viewsDaley_Lama

No idea.

Years and years ago when we truely had a yellow peril, i remember Shrewsbury above anybody else being fed up of it.

It got to the point that their messageboard had numerous 'i'm not going because of their stewards' posts.

Things at Dale are so much better but from their perspective, this one ejection will no doubt stir memories

Poll: DF in or out

Match thread on 22:21 - Sep 29 with 2704 views442Dale

Match thread on 22:17 - Sep 29 by Daley_Lama

No idea.

Years and years ago when we truely had a yellow peril, i remember Shrewsbury above anybody else being fed up of it.

It got to the point that their messageboard had numerous 'i'm not going because of their stewards' posts.

Things at Dale are so much better but from their perspective, this one ejection will no doubt stir memories

I'd expect questions to be asked within the club because even from the other side of he pitch it didn't look at all good.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match thread on 22:26 - Sep 29 with 2629 viewsfitzochris

Match thread on 22:21 - Sep 29 by 442Dale

I'd expect questions to be asked within the club because even from the other side of he pitch it didn't look at all good.

Check out @TimNash_star's Tweet:

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match thread on 22:34 - Sep 29 with 2560 viewsShun

A good match. Shrewsbury played well and were very unlucky.
Match thread on 22:38 - Sep 29 with 2527 viewszxcvbnm

agree with the zonal marking issue it needs some adaptation that's at least 3 goals conceded in recent games due to problems with the system

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Match thread on 22:43 - Sep 29 with 2488 viewsSwissdale

Match thread on 22:16 - Sep 29 by ColDale

Think tonight's game had us at our best and our worst throughout the game.

First half almost something of a blur it happened so fast. 3-0 and I thought we'd get revenge for the seven. We were on fire and Shrews had no answer to us. But zonal marking cost us once again. Worked a treat at the start of the season, but teams have scouted us and are taking advantage of it now. (and have been for a few games).

Turning point for me was the miskick by the referee that sent Jamie Allen clean through. Maybe those at the Pearl Street had a better view but it seemed like he was happy to give a free kick for Shrews for anything to atone for his mistake. An easy decision to make at 3-0 to prevent an outstanding chance to make it 4-0.

Second half it was if we played without any brains at all. Long ball after long ball to Calvin, and around 90% of them must have been easy pickings for the Shrews defence who dealt with them at ease. We have been at worst this season playing long ball football but Calvin up front seems to attract it.

But for all their possession and wave after wave of attack, did Lillis actually get called upon to make a save? Big balls were needed tonight and we were like Buster Gonad at times standing tall against a side footballing us to death, but without the killer touch.

A very thankful three points against a more than decent team.

It certainly was the turning point. Allen running with the ball but not clean through, ref's decision to give a foul against Henderson was completely unexplainable. He'd given us a dubious penalty and was terrified his poor positioning was going to award us another goal.

I'm not one to moan about ref's but tonight he really was atrocious, for both teams. Completely lost control of the game, bullied by the players really.

As for the performance we went from the sublime to the ridiculous. Excellent for the first 15, but at 3-0 up we need to be more professional and shut the game down. Don't care if fans don't want to see us sit back for 75 minutes, it's what you should do with a three goal lead.

Calvin Andrew was superb, showed cleverness, hard work and aggression. Looks a completely different player this season and could well be Hilly's "most improved player" ever. Great to see Hendo tuck away the penalty with style, and Vincenti yet again popping up in the right place at the right time.
Match thread on 22:51 - Sep 29 with 2429 viewsTalkingSutty

Enjoyed that. We played great for twenty minutes and then Shrewsbury ran through us for the remainder of the game, they did themselves proud when other teams would have gone for damage limitation.

We lost the plot really and it was disappointing that nobody seemed to get a grip of the situation, no real sign of leadership. Andrew during the first half was terrific and i thought Vincenti also had a decent game. McDermott shows flashes of brilliance but he came perilously close to conceding a penalty in the second half with a reckless tackle, he escaped by the skin of his teeth.

A Jeckyll and Hyde performance but the whole team deserve some credit for digging deep and securing the win, they showed great character. Three priceless points in the bag.
Match thread on 22:53 - Sep 29 with 2411 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread on 22:16 - Sep 29 by ColDale

Think tonight's game had us at our best and our worst throughout the game.

First half almost something of a blur it happened so fast. 3-0 and I thought we'd get revenge for the seven. We were on fire and Shrews had no answer to us. But zonal marking cost us once again. Worked a treat at the start of the season, but teams have scouted us and are taking advantage of it now. (and have been for a few games).

Turning point for me was the miskick by the referee that sent Jamie Allen clean through. Maybe those at the Pearl Street had a better view but it seemed like he was happy to give a free kick for Shrews for anything to atone for his mistake. An easy decision to make at 3-0 to prevent an outstanding chance to make it 4-0.

Second half it was if we played without any brains at all. Long ball after long ball to Calvin, and around 90% of them must have been easy pickings for the Shrews defence who dealt with them at ease. We have been at worst this season playing long ball football but Calvin up front seems to attract it.

But for all their possession and wave after wave of attack, did Lillis actually get called upon to make a save? Big balls were needed tonight and we were like Buster Gonad at times standing tall against a side footballing us to death, but without the killer touch.

A very thankful three points against a more than decent team.

For the Jamie Allen incident it was more their defender grabbing hold of Henderson and pulling him to the ground - absolutely scandalous award of a free kick. And Vincenti was pushed over before they got the penalty. Very strange decision making all game by the ref - including our penalty which although handball and possibly stopping it going goalbound it was never intentional and no chance of getting out of the way he was so close to big Pete. Massive 3 points and brilliant we held on.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Match thread on 22:53 - Sep 29 with 2412 viewsrochdaleriddler

The referee completely spoiled the game, he got so many decisions wrong, he constantly allowed their right back to gain 10 yards every throw in, his positioning was awful. Calvin was immense, lillis's kicking was very poor

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match thread on 23:01 - Sep 29 with 2357 viewsdeeplishblue

Match thread on 22:43 - Sep 29 by Swissdale

It certainly was the turning point. Allen running with the ball but not clean through, ref's decision to give a foul against Henderson was completely unexplainable. He'd given us a dubious penalty and was terrified his poor positioning was going to award us another goal.

I'm not one to moan about ref's but tonight he really was atrocious, for both teams. Completely lost control of the game, bullied by the players really.

As for the performance we went from the sublime to the ridiculous. Excellent for the first 15, but at 3-0 up we need to be more professional and shut the game down. Don't care if fans don't want to see us sit back for 75 minutes, it's what you should do with a three goal lead.

Calvin Andrew was superb, showed cleverness, hard work and aggression. Looks a completely different player this season and could well be Hilly's "most improved player" ever. Great to see Hendo tuck away the penalty with style, and Vincenti yet again popping up in the right place at the right time.

Don't know what was dubious about our penalty?
Vincenti headed the ball. Their player stuck his hand in the air and knocked it away. Nailed on for me.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Match thread on 23:01 - Sep 29 with 2355 viewsonedalefan

Match thread on 22:53 - Sep 29 by rochdaleriddler

The referee completely spoiled the game, he got so many decisions wrong, he constantly allowed their right back to gain 10 yards every throw in, his positioning was awful. Calvin was immense, lillis's kicking was very poor

In addition to Lillis's poor kicking, who's idea was it for him to start time wasting after 16 minutes? Allowed them to regroup and get back in the game.
Match thread on 23:10 - Sep 29 with 2306 viewsRosun

Shrewsbury are up there with Walsall as one of the better teams we've played this season.
They passed us to death and it would be interesting to see the possession stats. I'd guess at 40:60.
Another 3 points we've smuggled there.

We don't have a midfield that can grasp the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate. Maybe missing a Dawson type player who closes down and distributes. Plus, no outlet of runners from midfield. Maybe Lund could take on a Matty Done type role and spin off once we have possession?

Anyhow Bradford next and can't wait for their taunts of how Mc'Cardle / Darby etc left us 'coz we're $hit.
Match thread on 23:11 - Sep 29 with 2298 viewsdingdangblue

Match thread on 23:01 - Sep 29 by onedalefan

In addition to Lillis's poor kicking, who's idea was it for him to start time wasting after 16 minutes? Allowed them to regroup and get back in the game.

Lillis didn't get them back into the game - conceding from another sodding corner did!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match thread on 23:21 - Sep 29 with 2247 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Plenty to be a bit concerned about despite a good 3 points..........?
Match thread on 23:36 - Sep 29 with 2190 viewsD_Alien

Match thread on 23:21 - Sep 29 by Yorkshire_Dale

Plenty to be a bit concerned about despite a good 3 points..........?

That's football though. if we were expecting Shrewsbury to roll over and have their balls tickled at 3-0, we were in for a shock. Their attitude and some of their interplay was outstanding, even if the final ball didn't work out for them and I think we have to give them credit rather than thinking we've got problems.

Tonight showed that we're capable of great attacking intensity ourselves, and I think it was col who posted about the balls we showed in coming away with the points. Our early season game plan needed changing, and at least now we've got alternatives to present the opposition with instead of being predictable.

Bring on Bratfurd.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match thread on 00:05 - Sep 30 with 2070 viewsSandyman

Match thread on 22:53 - Sep 29 by rochdaleriddler

The ref was exceptionally poor tonight. The number of opportunities he gifted Shrewsbury with foul throws, throws taken ten yards in front of where they should have been, fouls against us that were given to them, a penalty for them which involved no contact, a late free kick for us where Shrewsbury players were allowed to stand in front of the line he painted, Vincenti ending up with a bloody nose and lip with no punishment to the opposing player who caused it, Vincenti getting cropped, pushed and having a free kick and yellow card given AGAINST him etc etc. The first song that erupted from The Sandy at full time was "Your not fit to referee" and rightly so.

We've played two games with Stockbridge in charge and he has had shockers in both. He missed so much of what really went on in the second half that we wondered if his real name was Tommy, or he was a primary school supply teacher who had a whistle but had never seen a game of football before. Or did he have bets on? He was so bad it makes you wonder. Given one personalised number plate seen in the car park where the refs usually park up, it seems SEB is a bit of an egotist as well.

Calvin was bloody magnificent in the face of the adversity the ref allowed to happen, probably on purpose. Stockbridge was that bad.
Match thread on 00:26 - Sep 30 with 2030 viewsDaley_Lama

Can i add that defensively TK was ace tonight.

Shrews switched their wingers as do most teams periodically.

Their number 11 had Cannon in heaps of trouble. When switched he got short change

Poll: DF in or out

Match thread on 07:24 - Sep 30 with 1895 viewsaleanddale

Larnell Cole stood out for them ( the ex Man United starlet ) on load from Fulham.

Very tricky quick and direct.

Some player that lad.

Up the Dale.. Off to work now with a huge smile on my face.

Roll on Saturday when we entertain the massive Bradford.
Match thread on 07:49 - Sep 30 with 1858 viewsTalkingSutty

Match thread on 07:24 - Sep 30 by aleanddale

Larnell Cole stood out for them ( the ex Man United starlet ) on load from Fulham.

Very tricky quick and direct.

Some player that lad.

Up the Dale.. Off to work now with a huge smile on my face.

Roll on Saturday when we entertain the massive Bradford.

I thought JLAA also showed up well for the Shrews, it's good to see him progressing in the game, a honest player who always put a shift in.
Match thread on 11:24 - Sep 30 with 1688 viewsfrenzied

With games coming up against Coventry Sheff Utd and Bury..it will give us and idea of where we are in terms of a poss top 6 finish...personally im happy with 19th!! or 20th...
Match thread on 12:38 - Sep 30 with 1623 viewsisitme

I have just watched the highlight and the same issue is still cropping up at set pieces. As we have a line of defenders zonally on the edge of the six yard box they are static when the ball is delivered. The scorer for Shrewsbury has a running jump at the ball and is therefore able to get higher than the defenders. We also look to have too many players stationed there, could one not be placed on line?

Our goals were really well worked. I think both penalties were a little harsh with JLAA going to ground really easily. For the hand ball he did stop a header on target, although his arms were much lower than I first thought.

In the second half they had a lot of the ball, but Lillis didn't really have a save to make.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024