Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
reaction to sat 06:06 - Jan 25 with 6937 viewsBazzanne

Wonder what the best manager Rochdale Football Club ever had (his words) will do now? I don't think we will see anyone coming in or going out this window. We didn't strengthen our squad close season and now we seem to be playing in League 1 with a league 2 squad.
We have a group of forwards who can't score goals and we have a group of defenders who can't stop goals!
This season for me has been depressingly boring so far, but it might just get more interesting soon if we have a relegation battle on our hands.
There is obviously no money in the pot for improvements with gates falling, and they might just get worse. You can't expect people to part with good money to watch some of the rubbish offered this season. Obviously there have been good days like the walsall game but far too many mediocre ones. One can but wait and see.
reaction to sat on 06:40 - Jan 25 with 4996 viewsaleanddale

you obviously started "supporting" after 2000.

what are your expectations?

if it is a relegation battle then bring It on I say. Remember Walsall earlier this month?

what do Hilly and the players do now? aim for that kind of performance I think on a more consistent basis.

I will be there supporting the team and hoping for an improved performance and at least a point.

Get behind the manager and players.
reaction to sat on 09:34 - Jan 25 with 4819 viewsdingdangblue

This is a great read. A very balanced report from the Barnsley forum. Splits the game into 2 parts. The first 68mins and the last 22mins. Seems the lad Fletcher really changed the game when he came on.

"Today my report comes in two sections. The first covers the first 68 minutes and the second covers the last 22 minutes.

The first 68 minutes
We scored first, a glancing header by Mawson from a superb Hammill free kick. Nothing else much happened in the first half. We kicked off the line when our right side had gone missing from a throw-in, the Rochdale keeper robbed Watkins with a brilliantly timed siding tackle when he was clean through and Hammill kicked weakly wide from the wing with the ‘dale keeper on the deck, and the rest of the ‘dale defence AWOL. Although we had less of the possession, I thought that our shape was good and defensively, we were in control. But the game lacked interest and drama, the highlight of the final 15 minutes of the first half being an argument about cricket behind me in the East Stand.

The second half began as the first. The ball was cleared to Watkins who flicked on to Hammill who took it to the line before finding Winnall at the near post for his first. Keith Hill decided he had seen enough and made 3 changes. Whether so many changes at once caused confusion in our defensive organisation, I do not know, but one of the new players was left unmarked at a corner, and his header fluked in off the far post. For the next 5 minutes, ‘dale were back in the game and it looked like it could go either way.

Thus far, the teams had been evenly matched, but Barnsley had the edge because of their superior forwards. But like all Keith Hill teams, ‘dale played good football and for a team assembled for pennies, they posed a real threat. For us, George Williams is not quite a left back, but he did a decent impression of one and Brownhill is not quite the defensive midfield player that we have searched for long and hard. Long is starting to look the part at the back and he and Mawson were dominant. Bree has already made me forget about the loss of Wabara. Hammill was good and bad in almost equal measures. He made our first two goals, but he frustrates and inspires in almost equal proportions. Winnall is a goal scorer, but if he is to progress to the next level, he will have to improve his touch, his passing and his play outside the box. Many will say this is harsh, but he must become more of a rounded player.

The last 22 minutes
The game ceased to be a contest in the 68th minute. Keith Hill says he does not know what happened. I can tell him. Fletcher happened. Fletcher has instant control, he has touch, he has pace and he wins the ball in the air. In that 22 minutes, he did everything. He broke through the ‘dale defence on the right using his pace, looked up to see Winnall free in the centre, and his pass left a finisher like Winnall with the simplest of tasks. The game was over, and all that was left was to decide how many we would win by. Watkins was put through with a lovely ball inside the full back, and he finished easily. Fletcher beat the ‘dale keeper to a cross leaving Winnall with the simplest tap in, and Long scored when a cleared corner was returned to the box by Winnall. Make no mistake, Ashley Fletcher is going to be one hell of a player and I wish he was ours."

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

reaction to sat on 09:53 - Jan 25 with 4780 viewsTVOS1907

Which other manager has been better, to make 'his words' untrue?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

reaction to sat on 10:09 - Jan 25 with 4736 viewsdawlishdale

What a negative post by Bazzane.

Yes; we aren't playing as well as last season, but we are still doing ok. It's times like this that we need all the fans to support us...not keep moaning.
reaction to sat on 10:23 - Jan 25 with 4694 viewsdingdangblue

reaction to sat on 10:09 - Jan 25 by dawlishdale

Yes; we aren't playing as well as last season, but we are still doing ok. It's times like this that we need all the fans to support us...not keep moaning.

Comparing to last season , at this point (26 games) we had 38 points as opposed to 34 now. We lost the next 2 games away at Walsall and Peterborough and weren't playing very well then either. Hill sorted it out and we recovered - I expect him to sort it out again.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

reaction to sat on 10:46 - Jan 25 with 4641 viewsBazzanne

Yes it's negative, but it's how Saturday left me feeling. I have been a Dale supporter for well over 60 years and yes I have witnessed some absolute rubbish at Spotland. This was the first time that I have been critical about Dale, but I think after all those years I have earned the right to speak my mind without upsetting those on here. I was not saying as was implied by someone that there had been a better manager than KH but he is not God and doesn't always get things right. I fervently hope we stay up this year, but after last seasons effort I was hoping for some hint of ambition, but sadly none is evident. It won't stop me supporting Dale till I die.
reaction to sat on 10:49 - Jan 25 with 4627 viewsSuddenLad

Bazzanne is a balloon.

OK, we lost. Got thumped, even. That's football. What happened, happened. We all move on. One game in isolation, over 90 minutes does not define the status of a manager or his team. We conceded 7 at home to Shrewsbury - remember that ? - but I don't recall people aggressively verbally abusing the manager and/or players with such venom as was reported last Saturday.

If you want to spend your money elsewhere, feel free to do so. In reality, supporting a team involves taking the rough with the smooth and the poor performances and results alongside the good.

Without a doubt, Keith Hill is the best manager this club has ever had (my words) and whatever you or I say, nothing will change that.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

reaction to sat on 10:53 - Jan 25 with 4610 viewsaleanddale

reaction to sat on 10:46 - Jan 25 by Bazzanne

Yes it's negative, but it's how Saturday left me feeling. I have been a Dale supporter for well over 60 years and yes I have witnessed some absolute rubbish at Spotland. This was the first time that I have been critical about Dale, but I think after all those years I have earned the right to speak my mind without upsetting those on here. I was not saying as was implied by someone that there had been a better manager than KH but he is not God and doesn't always get things right. I fervently hope we stay up this year, but after last seasons effort I was hoping for some hint of ambition, but sadly none is evident. It won't stop me supporting Dale till I die.

good response Bazzane....

we have been here before and we will in all probability get relegated sometime in the future.. if not this season then almost certainly some point in the next 20.

I am enjoying league one and I am enjoying the build up to a match day and the 90 minutes.

top middle or bottom its important to remember the whole point is enjoying the good football we are often treated too*

*hard after a 6-1 mauling I accept that
Login to get fewer ads

reaction to sat on 10:54 - Jan 25 with 4612 viewsValleySaddler

A lot of fans me included were angry after saturdays total second half surrender,and yes I'm still moaning...
Saturdays result smarts but will it stop me going,NO
Do i think anything less of Keith Hill NO
For me sucess this season will be staying in league one,which we will and owning the ground.
For what its worth my theory is that its a case of getting through the season on as little expenditure as possible with the ground sale going through..
I firmly believe with the ground sorted next season we will kick on,but after a 6 1 drubbing i am going to moan a little more.....
reaction to sat on 11:39 - Jan 25 with 4539 viewsD_Alien

I have some sympathy with the OP

Not what I'd post, exactly, but he's entitled to say it as he sees it right now. Being critical isn't the same as being unsupportive.

I also agree that this season could end up being written off whilst the stadium ownership issue gets sorted.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

reaction to sat on 11:56 - Jan 25 with 4477 viewswimborne_dale

reaction to sat on 10:49 - Jan 25 by SuddenLad

Bazzanne is a balloon.

OK, we lost. Got thumped, even. That's football. What happened, happened. We all move on. One game in isolation, over 90 minutes does not define the status of a manager or his team. We conceded 7 at home to Shrewsbury - remember that ? - but I don't recall people aggressively verbally abusing the manager and/or players with such venom as was reported last Saturday.

If you want to spend your money elsewhere, feel free to do so. In reality, supporting a team involves taking the rough with the smooth and the poor performances and results alongside the good.

Without a doubt, Keith Hill is the best manager this club has ever had (my words) and whatever you or I say, nothing will change that.

A little more respect would be in order towards a supporter 60 years, though I don't know if you had read his 2nd post when you posted. Suppose we all took your tacit advice and spent our money elsewhere. Where would RAFC be then?

Edgar Allan's Crow

reaction to sat on 12:15 - Jan 25 with 4416 viewsNigeriamark

reaction to sat on 10:53 - Jan 25 by aleanddale

good response Bazzane....

we have been here before and we will in all probability get relegated sometime in the future.. if not this season then almost certainly some point in the next 20.

I am enjoying league one and I am enjoying the build up to a match day and the 90 minutes.

top middle or bottom its important to remember the whole point is enjoying the good football we are often treated too*

*hard after a 6-1 mauling I accept that

you make a good point in that being a fan is more than just the 90 minutes. In the really bad old days in the 70's 80's I still went home and away although now I only go to about 8 games a year as I don't live close by anymore.

.For me It's the anticipation and banter with your mates before the game and then the discussion after the game in the pub. Tactics, who played well who should be dropped who was MOM etc etc are part of the value of admission.. In fact discussions are often more interesting at times like this than when you are winning ( although give me winning every day of the week. My next game will be Oldham away game, and however well or badly we are performing I can'y wait

My final comment is that you can express disappointment without being abusive to manager, players or other posters ( not referring to you aleanddale but generally)
reaction to sat on 12:28 - Jan 25 with 4372 viewsfitzochris

“My final comment is that you can express disappointment without being abusive to manager, players or other posters.”

That’s the key one for me.

I described Saturday’s result as disgusting on Twitter. I stand by that. No team at full strength should concede six to a team in the same division. Having seen the goals and how they were conceded, I feel my opinion is more than justified.

That said, I’m talking about a game of football. I don’t have any animosity towards any player or member of coaching staff. Nor do I feel the need to berate them on social media (as one particular numpty did).

So while I’ll critique team performances, and even individual player performances, I can differentiate between the sport and the person. Those who feel the need to fire abuse at individuals have sadly let those lines blur.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

reaction to sat on 12:57 - Jan 25 with 4238 viewsohwhenthedale

What i don't understand is negative mind set of some supporters, Yes we used to be awful and fought to stay in the FL for many uneventful years but we are not any more we are a well run club with a talent for developing players and playing good football. Problem is we aren't at the minute, our squad is no where near good enough to compete at the top half of lg1. The fact we used to be awful and bordering on a laughing is not a excuse for playing badly week in week out !!!!! do you think Bournemouth look at where they were 8 years ago??? nope.
reaction to sat on 13:00 - Jan 25 with 4221 viewsfitzochris

reaction to sat on 12:57 - Jan 25 by ohwhenthedale

What i don't understand is negative mind set of some supporters, Yes we used to be awful and fought to stay in the FL for many uneventful years but we are not any more we are a well run club with a talent for developing players and playing good football. Problem is we aren't at the minute, our squad is no where near good enough to compete at the top half of lg1. The fact we used to be awful and bordering on a laughing is not a excuse for playing badly week in week out !!!!! do you think Bournemouth look at where they were 8 years ago??? nope.

While I understand your point to an extent, you need to remember Bournemouth’s circumstances have changed immensely with foreign investment. Ours haven’t. We’ve simply benefitted from more prudent management at boardroom level.

reaction to sat on 14:16 - Jan 25 with 4095 viewsdingdangblue

reaction to sat on 12:57 - Jan 25 by ohwhenthedale

Is this the team who went to Walsall and won 3-0 the away game before Barnsley? I really wouldnt compare us to Bournemouth as Fitz stated - totally different circumstances. They got promoted on the back of 10,000 sell out crowds every home game and 15 million investment by their billionaire owner? I'm thinking central heating in churches doesn't pay as well somehow.

reaction to sat on 14:48 - Jan 25 with 4043 viewsDaleiLama

reaction to sat on 14:16 - Jan 25 by dingdangblue

Is this the team who went to Walsall and won 3-0 the away game before Barnsley? I really wouldnt compare us to Bournemouth as Fitz stated - totally different circumstances. They got promoted on the back of 10,000 sell out crowds every home game and 15 million investment by their billionaire owner? I'm thinking central heating in churches doesn't pay as well somehow.

Specially this winter!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

reaction to sat on 15:41 - Jan 25 with 3949 viewsrobbowood

reaction to sat on 12:28 - Jan 25 by fitzochris

“My final comment is that you can express disappointment without being abusive to manager, players or other posters.”

That’s the key one for me.

I described Saturday’s result as disgusting on Twitter. I stand by that. No team at full strength should concede six to a team in the same division. Having seen the goals and how they were conceded, I feel my opinion is more than justified.

That said, I’m talking about a game of football. I don’t have any animosity towards any player or member of coaching staff. Nor do I feel the need to berate them on social media (as one particular numpty did).

So while I’ll critique team performances, and even individual player performances, I can differentiate between the sport and the person. Those who feel the need to fire abuse at individuals have sadly let those lines blur.

But teams (full strength or not) do concede six goals in a game

This season Man City beat Newcastle 6-1. Everton and Newcastle have both won 6-2

No player should miss a penalty kick - but they do

I was at Spotland when Shrewsbury put seven past us and can remember the goals going in at the Pearl Street end

Whether Barnsley beat us 1-0, 6-1 or 10-1 they only get three points

All teams let in six and score six - that's football!!!
reaction to sat on 15:47 - Jan 25 with 3926 viewsfitzochris

reaction to sat on 15:41 - Jan 25 by robbowood

This season Man City beat Newcastle 6-1. Everton and Newcastle have both won 6-2

I was at Spotland when Shrewsbury put seven past us and can remember the goals going in at the Pearl Street end

No team SHOULD concede six goals when at full strength. If they do, it implies something is wrong - whether just on the day or something more terminal.

That is the point I'm making.

If a team gets walloped for six, then that team has got problems.

As for the Shrewsbury result, I was there too. Parkin got his tactics wrong that day. Lincoln did the same to us under Parkin, too.

Neither of those results were acceptable either.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 16:01]

reaction to sat on 16:51 - Jan 25 with 3812 viewsrobbowood

reaction to sat on 15:47 - Jan 25 by fitzochris

No team SHOULD concede six goals when at full strength. If they do, it implies something is wrong - whether just on the day or something more terminal.

That is the point I'm making.

If a team gets walloped for six, then that team has got problems.

As for the Shrewsbury result, I was there too. Parkin got his tactics wrong that day. Lincoln did the same to us under Parkin, too.

Neither of those results were acceptable either.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 16:01]

I do't follow the logic of the point you are making

Surely it's not just one result (e.g. losing 6-0) that decides whether a team "has got problems"

A team can get beaten 1-0 and have more "problems" than one which gets beaten 6-0 (or 5-0 or 4-0 or 3-0)

You've rightly pointed out the Shrewsbury result was down to Parkin getting his tactics wrong - but happens many times in a season along with bad team selection, players playing badly, refereeing decisions which all contribute to scorelines such as 6-0. As I say that's football

"Neither of those results were acceptable either" - we all like to see Dale win as many matches as possible but surely we have to "accept the result"
when we lose whether we like it or not
reaction to sat on 16:57 - Jan 25 with 3789 viewsTVOS1907

reaction to sat on 16:51 - Jan 25 by robbowood

Surely it's not just one result (e.g. losing 6-0) that decides whether a team "has got problems"

A team can get beaten 1-0 and have more "problems" than one which gets beaten 6-0 (or 5-0 or 4-0 or 3-0)

You've rightly pointed out the Shrewsbury result was down to Parkin getting his tactics wrong - but happens many times in a season along with bad team selection, players playing badly, refereeing decisions which all contribute to scorelines such as 6-0. As I say that's football

"Neither of those results were acceptable either" - we all like to see Dale win as many matches as possible but surely we have to "accept the result"

Fitzo's point is that a 6-1 defeat is the exception, rather than the norm, when it's two mid-table teams in opposition.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

reaction to sat on 16:59 - Jan 25 with 3776 viewsfitzochris

reaction to sat on 16:51 - Jan 25 by robbowood

I'm not sure why you're labouring the point. I don't know many football fans who wouldn't brand a 6-1 defeat unacceptable or similar. I'm not alone in that.

I can accept a Dale defeat. I have done many since 1988.

Under Keith Hill, a Dale defeat usually comes despite effort, too, which is great. I can accept that.

I cannot accept a capitulation, however, which conceding six goals quite clearly is.

reaction to sat on 18:33 - Jan 25 with 3657 viewsnordenblue

reaction to sat on 16:57 - Jan 25 by TVOS1907

Fitzo's point is that a 6-1 defeat is the exception, rather than the norm, when it's two mid-table teams in opposition.

I think we should just get a banner made?
reaction to sat on 18:46 - Jan 25 with 3622 viewsYorkshire_Dale

reaction to sat on 15:41 - Jan 25 by robbowood

When dis we last score 6 (or 7 if Stockport?) H or A??
reaction to sat on 18:51 - Jan 25 with 3594 viewsD_Alien

reaction to sat on 18:46 - Jan 25 by Yorkshire_Dale

When dis we last score 6 (or 7 if Stockport?) H or A??

Our 2-7 win at Stockport rather disproves Fitz's point. Wasn't it on the back of a run of games where County hadn't conceded at all? Plus, they hardly "had problems" at the time. It was just one of those things. We scored 4 goals in the first 20 minutes, which is just about as capitulating as it gets, but then again, we were just brilliant that day and Stockport hardly knew what hit them.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024