Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get with the programme! 17:59 - Feb 17 with 6779 viewsborntogo

If match programme sales were low last night (and I'm sure they were) it might be because the seller(s) hared off (past lots of possible punters) about 15 minutes before the kick off. This was at the Sandy Lane end of the ground.

At half-time someone walked around the pitch waving them but at such a speed it was impossible to negotiate the stairs and folks carrying pie and peas to actually flag him down.

Such a shame when it's a good read.
Get with the programme! on 18:01 - Feb 17 with 5086 viewsTVOS1907

Could you email this information to the club?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Get with the programme! on 18:13 - Feb 17 with 5043 views49thseason

Hey TVOS,
Given that there were less than 2000 fans there last night, is it actually possible to make a profit from selling programmes over the whole season?

If you printed say 10,000 per match and got enough advertising to cover the print and editorial costs, could you not give a copy to everyone at the match and distribute the remainders to schools (via Keith Hicks)?
Get with the programme! on 18:24 - Feb 17 with 5009 viewsTalkingSutty

Get with the programme! on 18:13 - Feb 17 by 49thseason

Hey TVOS,
Given that there were less than 2000 fans there last night, is it actually possible to make a profit from selling programmes over the whole season?

If you printed say 10,000 per match and got enough advertising to cover the print and editorial costs, could you not give a copy to everyone at the match and distribute the remainders to schools (via Keith Hicks)?

That's a form of child cruelty.
Get with the programme! on 19:07 - Feb 17 with 4927 viewsTVOS1907

Get with the programme! on 18:13 - Feb 17 by 49thseason

Hey TVOS,

To be honest, I don't deal with the money side of things so I don't know how it goes regarding profit.

I do know that games like Leeds, Forest, etc, help greatly in that regard, however.

The second idea would need some thought and is a big gamble, especially as it would take a lot more advertising to cover costs.

Get with the programme! on 19:18 - Feb 17 with 4895 viewsD_Alien

With the Crewe game being played last night following the Boxing Day postponement, was last night's programme the original?

Just thinking about the revenue from our two postponements, we'd have lost over 1000 spectators last night, and will possibly lose around 500 next week against Fleetwood.

That's in the region of £30,000 lost

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Get with the programme! on 20:22 - Feb 17 with 4769 viewsboromat

I saw something similar against Millwall a seller was moving from the main entrance down sandy either back to the shop or to a different position but there was still another seller at the main gate so didn't think too much about it. I'm sure there was a valid reason.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Get with the programme! on 20:24 - Feb 17 with 4778 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Get with the programme! on 19:18 - Feb 17 by D_Alien

With the Crewe game being played last night following the Boxing Day postponement, was last night's programme the original?

Just thinking about the revenue from our two postponements, we'd have lost over 1000 spectators last night, and will possibly lose around 500 next week against Fleetwood.

You raise a good point here.......IF the match had been played on Boxing Day could we realistically have 2 more points right now?

Crewe were pretty poor then and we were holding our own........it's the opposite now>

That's postponements for you........yes,I know there are no guarantees!!!
Get with the programme! on 20:47 - Feb 17 with 4735 viewsnordenblue

I'm sure tvos mentioned it was the original program with a 4 page addition,if my dodgy memory is anywhere near correct
Login to get fewer ads

Get with the programme! on 21:34 - Feb 17 with 4670 viewsR17ALE

Get with the programme! on 20:47 - Feb 17 by nordenblue

I'm sure tvos mentioned it was the original program with a 4 page addition,if my dodgy memory is anywhere near correct

There was an insert in yesterday's TVOS, as usual with re-arranged games.

The problem of the sellers buggering off 15 minutes before kick-off is an old one, and must decimate sales as 66% of the crowd turn up in that 15 minute window.

I know they do so as not to miss kick-off, but they're paid to do a job, and if that means they miss the first 5 minutes then so be it. (Although yesterday probably justifies their early finish!)

We could easily sell an extra 100 programmes per match which equals £6,900 over a League season, or a loan player for a month.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Get with the programme! on 21:40 - Feb 17 with 4652 viewsTVOS1907

Get with the programme! on 20:47 - Feb 17 by nordenblue

It was mentioned on the official website. That was the first I knew about them doing the insert.

Get with the programme! on 21:45 - Feb 17 with 4635 viewsDorislove

Get with the programme! on 21:34 - Feb 17 by R17ALE

The problem of the sellers buggering off 15 minutes before kick-off is an old one, and must decimate sales as 66% of the crowd turn up in that 15 minute window.

I know they do so as not to miss kick-off, but they're paid to do a job, and if that means they miss the first 5 minutes then so be it. (Although yesterday probably justifies their early finish!)

We could easily sell an extra 100 programmes per match which equals £6,900 over a League season, or a loan player for a month.

Thats Turnover R17 ,profit to pay a players wage is about 30/40 percent of that ,maybe still a months wages but a closer amount to pay them.
Get with the programme! on 21:53 - Feb 17 with 4610 viewsTVOS1907

Get with the programme! on 21:34 - Feb 17 by R17ALE

You need to relay this information to the club.....

Get with the programme! on 21:55 - Feb 17 with 4600 viewsTVOS1907

Yes, it was the original.

It costs around £1000 to print the quantity we have, so it's not financially prudent to pulp them all and start again.

A club like Man United will sell at least 50,000 programmes per match, including subscriptions, I reckon. Think about the profit on that!

Get with the programme! on 22:15 - Feb 17 with 4563 viewsR17ALE

Get with the programme! on 21:45 - Feb 17 by Dorislove

Thats Turnover R17 ,profit to pay a players wage is about 30/40 percent of that ,maybe still a months wages but a closer amount to pay them.

No. that's profit.

If you order 700 programmes, you pay the printers that fee irrespective of how many you sell.

If you sell 500 that's £1500 in revenue.

If you sell 100 more that's £300 per match extra profit.

Get with the programme! on 22:18 - Feb 17 with 4553 viewsR17ALE

Get with the programme! on 21:53 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

You need to relay this information to the club.....

I did once. I told Messrs. D. E.

Otherwise known as Deaf Ears!

Get with the programme! on 22:29 - Feb 17 with 4530 viewsTVOS1907

Get with the programme! on 22:18 - Feb 17 by R17ALE

I did once. I told Messrs. D. E.

Otherwise known as Deaf Ears!

Don't think I know him.

Get with the programme! on 22:32 - Feb 17 with 4522 viewsjudd

Get with the programme! on 21:55 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

Yes, it was the original.

It costs around £1000 to print the quantity we have, so it's not financially prudent to pulp them all and start again.

A club like Man United will sell at least 50,000 programmes per match, including subscriptions, I reckon. Think about the profit on that!

It makes great bog roll.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Get with the programme! on 22:44 - Feb 17 with 4497 viewsTVOS1907

Get with the programme! on 22:32 - Feb 17 by judd

It makes great bog roll.

I know, saves me a fortune in Izal.

Get with the programme! on 22:59 - Feb 17 with 4471 viewsD_Alien

Get with the programme! on 22:44 - Feb 17 by TVOS1907

I know, saves me a fortune in Izal.

The Spanish rock band?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Get with the programme! on 23:01 - Feb 17 with 4467 viewsDorislove

Get with the programme! on 22:15 - Feb 17 by R17ALE

No. that's profit.

If you order 700 programmes, you pay the printers that fee irrespective of how many you sell.

If you sell 500 that's £1500 in revenue.

If you sell 100 more that's £300 per match extra profit.

If a run cost is about £1000 (TVOS) 700 costs £1.40 each.
Sell them at £3 each
Club gains £3 minus £1.40 =£1100 Not sure if the VAT is included in the costs.If not
£2100 -£1176 £924 than take away the sellers 10% +£846 TO THE CLUB.
Not sure if my figures match with yours but not really a sum to send the pulses racing for all the hard work that is put into it.
Get with the programme! on 23:24 - Feb 17 with 4436 views1mark1

It's the principle that as many fans as possible who turn up to a match can get a programme, if they want one, for various reasons, including helping getting the club's news out to fans. No matter how much extra income to the club, it all helps.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Get with the programme! on 23:28 - Feb 17 with 4422 views442Dale

Get with the programme! on 23:24 - Feb 17 by 1mark1

It's the principle that as many fans as possible who turn up to a match can get a programme, if they want one, for various reasons, including helping getting the club's news out to fans. No matter how much extra income to the club, it all helps.

They want it to read kit nonsense.

FACT.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Get with the programme! on 00:08 - Feb 18 with 4392 viewsoddjob007

While on the subject, it is perhaps surprising in this digital age that match day programmes do still exist, especially when you think of the recent announcement of the demise of the printed edition of the Independent.

I wonder what the future holds for the match day programme? Clearly a lucrative revenue source for premiership clubs, but what about us smaller lower league clubs? What is the alternative? Or will they buck the trend of the new digital world?
Get with the programme! on 06:18 - Feb 18 with 4310 viewsTalkingSutty

Get with the programme! on 00:08 - Feb 18 by oddjob007

While on the subject, it is perhaps surprising in this digital age that match day programmes do still exist, especially when you think of the recent announcement of the demise of the printed edition of the Independent.

I wonder what the future holds for the match day programme? Clearly a lucrative revenue source for premiership clubs, but what about us smaller lower league clubs? What is the alternative? Or will they buck the trend of the new digital world?

Buying a programme goes hand in hand with attending the game for many fans,its the first thing i do when i get to the Stadium. Many people like to collect them and they are interesting to read. One thing I particularly like are the old black and white pictures on the last page and the reminders of how Spotland used to look.

Its alright downloading information on your laptop/iPad but having a programme at the game also means you can check opposition players who catch your eye. You can also refer to the referee by his surname when advising him about the odd decision during the game.

The price of programmes is what will break the camels back, people will pay three quid but once it goes over that mark then I think psychologically people will think 'I won't bother'. TVOS produces the programme in his own time for no financial reward and it saves somebody at the club having to do it. I would imagine it probably brings not far off 15K a year into the club (rough guess), that's a lot of money for one fan to generate ( TVOS).

Multiply the annual amount by the years he's been producing the programme and you realise the amount of money his efforts have brought into the Club. It's a good read.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2016 6:22]
Get with the programme! on 08:32 - Feb 18 with 4218 viewsTVOS1907

Get with the programme! on 00:08 - Feb 18 by oddjob007

Some clubs do produce digital programmes, but these are the likes of Arsenal and Man United who have worldwide fanbases, thereby making it quite lucrative for them.

We have been approached by a company but their cut of the sales was such that Dale would have been left with very little profit.

What will happen in future is anyone's guess, though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024