Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eastham to Fleetwood 16:02 - May 20 with 13744 viewsGlenn

2 year deal!
Eastham to Fleetwood on 17:37 - May 20 with 4554 viewsSalwaDale

Eastham to Fleetwood on 16:57 - May 20 by fitzochris

You've said it there. He's our best centre half and he's going.

So, as some chopper just said to me on Twitter, yes, there are plenty of "better centre halves available out there" but we still need to get one to agree to come here and bed them in.

Whatever way you look at it, Ashley choosing to leave is a blow. No, he's not "Bobby Moore", but he was our best centre half, so, relatively speaking, it's a significant loss until he's replaced.

Can't really argue with that.

TBBT

Eastham to Fleetwood on 17:53 - May 20 with 4451 viewsPorlicks

In a way, I guess an ex-defender is much more understanding of the tribulations of a defender. Did Hilly see a bit of himself in Lancashire?

I predict Lillis as a reluctant signee, and gone by this time next year.

Who are YOU with?

Eastham to Fleetwood on 18:05 - May 20 with 4387 viewsboromat

Eastham to Fleetwood on 17:53 - May 20 by Porlicks

In a way, I guess an ex-defender is much more understanding of the tribulations of a defender. Did Hilly see a bit of himself in Lancashire?

I predict Lillis as a reluctant signee, and gone by this time next year.

I think both Lillis and Lancashire will go elsewhere. Probably get better deals.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Eastham to Fleetwood on 18:24 - May 20 with 4299 viewsJimmyRustler

So how many CBs do we currently have on our books?

Zero is it?

Partnerships don't grow on trees. I hope we offered Eastham as much as we could cause number one priority should have been securing him and Canavan.

This could massively affect our season next year.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 18:26 - May 20 with 4286 views49thseason

Is it not the case that if Hilly wanted them they would have been offered better deals earlier in the season? Eastham has been decent in the second half of the season but we conceded too many goals to mount an assault on the top six. There seems to be a defensive clear out in progress. I have no doubt there are targets being lined up.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 18:41 - May 20 with 4204 views442Dale

Eastham to Fleetwood on 18:26 - May 20 by 49thseason

Is it not the case that if Hilly wanted them they would have been offered better deals earlier in the season? Eastham has been decent in the second half of the season but we conceded too many goals to mount an assault on the top six. There seems to be a defensive clear out in progress. I have no doubt there are targets being lined up.

Eastham returned as a regular to the side in February. We played 18 games, won 9, drew 5, lost 4. 32 points.

We conceded 22 goals in that time, 10 of them in 7 games alongside Lancashire.

We did indeed concede too many goals to reach the playoffs, it's a shame that wasn't addressed earlier.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:04 - May 20 with 4067 viewsD_Dale

At least he went with a good grace - 'a tough decision' etc:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36345576

I know some fans liked his no-nonsense, get rid, style, but was he comfortable enough with Hill's preference for keeping possession?

Might Rafferty be capable of playing regularly in a central defender position?
Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:10 - May 20 with 4040 viewsJimmyRustler

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:04 - May 20 by D_Dale

I know some fans liked his no-nonsense, get rid, style, but was he comfortable enough with Hill's preference for keeping possession?

Raff has emerged as a good RB now. If I saw him line up as CB at the first home game of the season I'd be sat on my sofa before halftime.
Login to get fewer ads

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:12 - May 20 with 4013 viewsJimmyRustler

I have however heard that we're in for Kevin Long but so are Barnsley too allegedly. If they get promoted it might make the decision a little easier for him.
[Post edited 20 May 2016 19:13]
Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:19 - May 20 with 3975 viewsShun

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:12 - May 20 by JimmyRustler

I have however heard that we're in for Kevin Long but so are Barnsley too allegedly. If they get promoted it might make the decision a little easier for him.

Kevin Long's addition would certainly make this news a lot more palatable, but if we're up against Barnsley we've got no chance.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:27 - May 20 with 3935 views442Dale

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:19 - May 20 by Shun

Kevin Long's addition would certainly make this news a lot more palatable, but if we're up against Barnsley we've got no chance.

And they're different positions anyway - Long is a left sided CH.

After the season Eastham had in 14/15, maybe we should have offered him a contract extension again then.

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:32 - May 20 with 3918 viewsrichfoad32

He'd only be going to Barnsley as cover at best, they already have a solid centre half partnership in Mawson and Roberts. He might prefer to go somewhere he's guaranteed to start. That said, they can offer him significantly more money......
Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:38 - May 20 with 3884 views442Dale

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:32 - May 20 by richfoad32

He'd only be going to Barnsley as cover at best, they already have a solid centre half partnership in Mawson and Roberts. He might prefer to go somewhere he's guaranteed to start. That said, they can offer him significantly more money......

Roberts has come in and done really well since Long returned to Burnley, but the left sided thing would probably mean Long would get the nod initially.

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:47 - May 20 with 3820 viewsTalkingSutty

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:04 - May 20 by D_Dale

Is this a serious post? Rafferty playing as a big rough centre half, are you being serious? It's nearly as bad as Bunney starting as a left back,or Lillis being dropped for a untried reserve keeper from another Club who has a strop because he's not being picked and is then welcomed back as the number one after he stormed off back to his parent Club. Lillis and Easthan were treated very shoddily last season so who can blame them for wanting to move on.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:06 - May 20 with 3716 viewsboromat

If we're in for Long probably means we've given up on Canavan.

Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:09 - May 20 with 3495 viewsisitme

Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:06 - May 20 by boromat

If we're in for Long probably means we've given up on Canavan.

I'd rather have Long than Canavan as he is more mobile.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:14 - May 20 with 3467 viewsboromat

Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:09 - May 20 by isitme

I'd rather have Long than Canavan as he is more mobile.

Me too but unlikely to get him if Barnsley are in for him.

Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:19 - May 20 with 3448 viewsShun

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:47 - May 20 by TalkingSutty

Is this a serious post? Rafferty playing as a big rough centre half, are you being serious? It's nearly as bad as Bunney starting as a left back,or Lillis being dropped for a untried reserve keeper from another Club who has a strop because he's not being picked and is then welcomed back as the number one after he stormed off back to his parent Club. Lillis and Easthan were treated very shoddily last season so who can blame them for wanting to move on.

I'm not suggesting Rafferty at CB is a good idea, but let's not forget Tanser played quite a few games there and was excellent, and he's as far from big and rough as Rafferty is.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:46 - May 20 with 3337 viewsrichfoad32

I see on the other thread that Cian Bolger has been released by Sarfend, had a bit of a falling out with Tango Brown apparently. Only 24 and finished the season on loan at Bury. Mixed reactions on their forum and some seem to think he's got potential. Might be worth a punt?
Eastham to Fleetwood on 21:18 - May 20 with 3179 viewsTVOS1907

Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:46 - May 20 by richfoad32

I see on the other thread that Cian Bolger has been released by Sarfend, had a bit of a falling out with Tango Brown apparently. Only 24 and finished the season on loan at Bury. Mixed reactions on their forum and some seem to think he's got potential. Might be worth a punt?

Have always thought he was very poor when I've seen him play. He picks up a lot of cards too, including a red one at Spotland, IIRC.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Eastham to Fleetwood on 21:30 - May 20 with 3111 viewsD_Dale

Eastham to Fleetwood on 19:47 - May 20 by TalkingSutty

Well, not all that serous (this is a fans' forum). Didn't Tom Kennedy, a less physical player than Raff, play in a centre back position occasionally?

Leading goal scorers in L1 - Adjose, Winnall, Sharp, Armstrong - are often quick, ball-on-the-ground players who get the better of old-fashioned 'big rough centre halves'.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 21:39 - May 20 with 3064 viewsTalkingSutty

Eastham to Fleetwood on 20:19 - May 20 by Shun

I'm not suggesting Rafferty at CB is a good idea, but let's not forget Tanser played quite a few games there and was excellent, and he's as far from big and rough as Rafferty is.

Tansers not a centre half neither,he's too weedy to play in that position on a regular basis. He's hardly played in the last twelve months and gone backwards. Getting a place on the bench as been an achievement for him.

To just start thinking these players can suddenly just command a position at centre half is wrong, we need to start the season with established footballers, we need to bring replacements in.
Eastham to Fleetwood on 22:23 - May 20 with 2923 viewsShun

Eastham to Fleetwood on 21:39 - May 20 by TalkingSutty

Tansers not a centre half neither,he's too weedy to play in that position on a regular basis. He's hardly played in the last twelve months and gone backwards. Getting a place on the bench as been an achievement for him.

To just start thinking these players can suddenly just command a position at centre half is wrong, we need to start the season with established footballers, we need to bring replacements in.

I'm not suggesting Tanser should be our new centre back, just as I didn't suggest Rafferty should be either. I'm merely pointing out that he's played well there in the past, and for a fair few games too. He wasn't 'too weedy' then, he was a defender defending well.

My point is that it doesn't matter what somebody is, if they play well in a position then they're a good player in that position. Likewise there shouldn't be a set definition for each position - a good defender shouldn't be based on whether he's large or small, but whether he plays well in defence or not.
[Post edited 20 May 2016 22:28]
Eastham to Fleetwood on 22:36 - May 20 with 2879 viewsRotherhamDale

I'm sure Hill will bring in some 5th choice centre back that nobody has ever heard of and he'll be half decent.

Disappointed that Eastham has left.

Possession with progression.

Eastham to Fleetwood on 23:24 - May 20 with 2718 viewsBrierls

This is a blow.

I'd have been happy to go into the new season with Eastham and Canavan. Not outstanding players, but good, solid, proper defenders.

At the moment we have neither.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024