Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Thompson 23:19 - Aug 6 with 26754 viewschuckleberry

Signs six month contract, apparently. Anyone heard the same?
Joey Thompson on 14:50 - Aug 7 with 3112 viewsfitzochris

Joey Thompson on 14:46 - Aug 7 by ParkinsGimp

Waste of three wages, Holness, Thompson and RNL all not fit for league 2 football , more like conference. With those three wages we could recruit a decent centre forward who knows where the net is and doesnt scream a sitter over the bar when unchallenged.

We're not paying Holness a wage.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Joey Thompson on 14:53 - Aug 7 with 3098 viewsnordenblue

Joey Thompson on 14:46 - Aug 7 by TalkingSutty

Funnily enough that's what stuck in my mind when JT signed. It's a contradiction of an interview that Hill gave less than 3 weeks ago. I think as Supporters, who pay for the privilege,we are well within our rights to be wondering what's going on!

just keep paying your money but for Christ sake don't question anything that goes on,well not until you have your badges anyway.....
Joey Thompson on 14:56 - Aug 7 with 3090 viewssandy_dale

I doubt Corby town would charge us much for Nathan Stanton as a squad filler
Joey Thompson on 15:06 - Aug 7 with 3055 viewsisitme

I don't get this signing. Surely the likes of Hooper and Rathbone are better options? It is obvious that we need more cover at centre half and maybe another centre midfielder. A centre forward who can finish is another obvious signing.
Joey Thompson on 15:10 - Aug 7 with 3040 viewsJimmyRustler

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only reason I can tolerate Hill (barely) is because of what he's done for my football club and for that I will be forever grateful. However, as a man and as a human being, he doesn't half come across as a right c### at times. I can see why fans of other clubs think he's an arsehole and I can't help but think that I'd be in the same camp had he not performed jesuseqsue miracles at the club I love.
Joey Thompson on 15:25 - Aug 7 with 2995 viewsmacro

Joey Thompson on 15:10 - Aug 7 by JimmyRustler

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only reason I can tolerate Hill (barely) is because of what he's done for my football club and for that I will be forever grateful. However, as a man and as a human being, he doesn't half come across as a right c### at times. I can see why fans of other clubs think he's an arsehole and I can't help but think that I'd be in the same camp had he not performed jesuseqsue miracles at the club I love.

Look at the squad, a number of players who’ve been written off by previous clubs have thrived at Dale with Hill being pivotal.

Fans of other clubs like Hill they can see what he’s done for Dale, a great deal are envious of what he can do.

I think though regardless of todays transfer news supporters can see that defensive improvement is what is needed most

Another ex player on the move as well

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/spencer-returns-to-county-48934/
Joey Thompson on 15:44 - Aug 7 with 2950 viewsJimmyRustler

Joey Thompson on 15:25 - Aug 7 by macro

Look at the squad, a number of players who’ve been written off by previous clubs have thrived at Dale with Hill being pivotal.

Fans of other clubs like Hill they can see what he’s done for Dale, a great deal are envious of what he can do.

I think though regardless of todays transfer news supporters can see that defensive improvement is what is needed most

Another ex player on the move as well

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/spencer-returns-to-county-48934/

This is Joe Thompson. Not a broken toy - more like a ball and cup. A ball and cup with no string. And no ball.

KH couldn't get anything out of him first time round and he's been rejected at Barrow FFS. What does that tell you? He's fookin bob now and even worse than be used to be. That's a truly harrowing thought on it's own.

I've nowt against the lad he's apparently a nice fella but we might as well fish a few jobbies out from the Sandy toilets and chuck em onto the meadow cause they'll contribute exactly the same amount as he will this season.
Joey Thompson on 16:10 - Aug 7 with 2890 viewsRAFCBLUE

Joey Thompson on 15:06 - Aug 7 by isitme

I don't get this signing. Surely the likes of Hooper and Rathbone are better options? It is obvious that we need more cover at centre half and maybe another centre midfielder. A centre forward who can finish is another obvious signing.

I think these signings are driven by the new loan rules prohibiting emergency loans after this August transfer window closes.

On the face of it, what we have at the end of August has to get us to the January window - our first half of the season and FA Cup fortunes ride on that.

Hill's strategy is obvious. Get as many knownn and trusted players into a squad as possible and use them to rotate around a number of games (first team or bounce) to keep the standards high. Holness would be in there too if he had not become injured.

Thomson and RNL fit that camp - they know the training methods and management and associated expectations; they are cheap enough to sign for us to sign them and prepared to take a six month contract. In January both are free to sign again or walk away with no onus on either side.

Ian Holloway's washing machine example is a good one and expect January 2017's transfer window to be a bloodbath in terms of buying and selling players with regards to the fees being asked for players - price pressure and desparation from the top end; selective big investments from clubs like us relative to our means.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10509644/emergency-loan-window-syst

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Login to get fewer ads

Joey Thompson on 16:43 - Aug 7 with 2799 viewsDelboy

Joey Thompson on 16:10 - Aug 7 by RAFCBLUE

I think these signings are driven by the new loan rules prohibiting emergency loans after this August transfer window closes.

On the face of it, what we have at the end of August has to get us to the January window - our first half of the season and FA Cup fortunes ride on that.

Hill's strategy is obvious. Get as many knownn and trusted players into a squad as possible and use them to rotate around a number of games (first team or bounce) to keep the standards high. Holness would be in there too if he had not become injured.

Thomson and RNL fit that camp - they know the training methods and management and associated expectations; they are cheap enough to sign for us to sign them and prepared to take a six month contract. In January both are free to sign again or walk away with no onus on either side.

Ian Holloway's washing machine example is a good one and expect January 2017's transfer window to be a bloodbath in terms of buying and selling players with regards to the fees being asked for players - price pressure and desparation from the top end; selective big investments from clubs like us relative to our means.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10509644/emergency-loan-window-syst

Well said Blue !! All the hysteria surrounding this signing indicates that people have missed the very point you make.
Hill is shrewd and also manages the budget well. These are squad signings made at low cost and with the young players like Morley and Hooper give us the depth we will need post August. More significant recruits will be added before the transfer deadline I have little doubt and we can then assess the true quality and strength of the team we are likely to put out week on week.
Joey Thompson on 17:02 - Aug 7 with 2744 viewsAtThePeake

Joey Thompson on 16:10 - Aug 7 by RAFCBLUE

It's frustrating that signing more players means reverting to signing players who, on the face of it, aren't good enough.

Out of interest, how much did we utilise the loan market last season? I can't be bothered checking but I don't remember us having all that many loan players.

(RNL is on a 12 month deal by the way)

Tangled up in blue.

Joey Thompson on 17:23 - Aug 7 with 2678 viewsThe_Knightowl

Hilly is being quite shrewd imho.
At least he knows what he can expect from "nostalgic" signings.
The new loan change will be a disadvantage to the clubs with smaller budgets .............I sense a bigger game is at play with the club.
Better the devil you know than the demon you don't.
The budget was probably tight last year as the stadium purchase was a "need".
This year is consolidation , it is what it is ...........next season new revenue streams will be quantified and accounted for ..............the season ticket experiment is what it is and was ..............and no doubt new blood and fresh eyes will hopefully see things move forwards taking into account well intentioned "failures". There are green shoots.
Not so long ago Conference football was a reality looming on the horizon......just my 2 cents worth. As for Burton .they are a club still riding the crest of a wave the Dale in reality are not long from almost drowning it takes a few breaths to recover,
Joey Thompson on 17:28 - Aug 7 with 2668 viewsrochedale

Joey Thompson on 13:58 - Aug 7 by TalkingSutty

Michael Oliver is the odd man out...he was decent.

Have to disagree, he was rubbish

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Joey Thompson on 17:44 - Aug 7 with 2621 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 17:28 - Aug 7 by rochedale

Opinions
Joey Thompson on 18:14 - Aug 7 with 2547 viewsroccydaleian

With TS on this. Although he was a "character" off the pitch, he was a decent player and scored some cracking goals as well.
Joey Thompson on 18:58 - Aug 7 with 2422 viewsfitzochris

Not my recollection of him.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Joey Thompson on 19:04 - Aug 7 with 2408 viewsrochedale

Maybe I have this one wrong, I always had it in my memory that I didn't like him, and remember my cousin begrudgingly giving him MOM when they sponsored match. And I played against him the year after he retired and didn't think he was much cop at all, certainly for an ex pro, but it was only 5 a side.

Joey Thompson on 19:21 - Aug 7 with 2344 viewsolympicdale

This is a truly staggering signing, I would love to hear Hill's justified reasons behind it, because it makes little to no sense. I said at the start of the season that Hill has possibly taken this team as far as he can, or as far as he wants to take them.

What was Hills remit at the start of the season, there are clearly expectations from the chairmen and directors to push on this year, but signings like this do little to excite fans expectations, which seems to be Hills objective.

Joey Thompson divided opinion constantly when he was here, but he was never good enough in a poorer team, so how, when you see how far this team has come, can he get in to this team? It's just another bench warmer, keeping players like Rathbone off the bench. Thompson is a player who Hill trusts, it's a safety move, but this almost isn't about Thompson, more of what he represents, and the message it sends to the fans.

Every time I read about Hill citing the fans expectations, as a reason for failure, it infuriates me. Does he know where he is, the majority of Dale fans will be content to purely consolidate in League one, a playoff push would be a bonus. The sad fact is, that this team could be good enough to make that leap, with a couple of good additions Dale could get a top 6 finish, this terrifies Hill, he's become a victim of his own success. He is not a born winner, the fear of success will be his undoing as a manager, and I don't see him wanting a higher move any time soon.

Is this purely a sentimental move, given everything Joey has been through, we're not a charity case, because for footballing reasons I can't think of one reason that makes sense about this deal.

Without expectation no club shouldn't bother existing, fans need to believe and expect better, and that needs to come from your manager to have that same ambition, instead of creating problems where there aren't any. If Hill' goal is to diffuse any chance of success this year, then a few more signings like this should help.

Life is a game of fate.

Joey Thompson on 19:23 - Aug 7 with 2336 viewsroccydaleian

Joey Thompson on 19:04 - Aug 7 by rochedale

Maybe I have this one wrong, I always had it in my memory that I didn't like him, and remember my cousin begrudgingly giving him MOM when they sponsored match. And I played against him the year after he retired and didn't think he was much cop at all, certainly for an ex pro, but it was only 5 a side.

Was your cousin a guest of Ken Mills Engineering on that sponsor day?
Joey Thompson on 19:25 - Aug 7 with 2323 viewsrochedale

Joey Thompson on 19:23 - Aug 7 by roccydaleian

He was indeed, wow, what a memory you have!!

Joey Thompson on 19:26 - Aug 7 with 2322 viewsrochedale

Joey Thompson on 19:23 - Aug 7 by roccydaleian

How the hell would you remember that??

Joey Thompson on 19:44 - Aug 7 with 2261 viewsroccydaleian

Joey Thompson on 19:26 - Aug 7 by rochedale

How the hell would you remember that??

Because I was a guest myself and remember arguing with him nearly all the second half that MO should get the MOM, I won the arguement obv. We put it to a vote really and Ollie got the nod off the majority and he scored a cracking goal that day as well.
Joey Thompson on 19:51 - Aug 7 with 2243 viewsRAFCBLUE

Joey Thompson on 17:02 - Aug 7 by AtThePeake

It's frustrating that signing more players means reverting to signing players who, on the face of it, aren't good enough.

Out of interest, how much did we utilise the loan market last season? I can't be bothered checking but I don't remember us having all that many loan players.

(RNL is on a 12 month deal by the way)

Short term loan signings (from memory):

* O'Sullivan (from Blackburn)
* Castro Pereira (from Man United)

On top of that we had Grant Holt's and David Syers' cameos - though both came to us as "unattached" rather than loan signings.

I think the set transfer window is a good thing. I remember Hereford abusing in a year where a lad from Wolves ran us ragged.

What is means for Dale is live within our means - I can't ever see Hill or Dunphy betting the house on players who might not make a return.

Thompson, RNL and others who are "known" are safer quantities even if deemed less exciting to fans.

Anyone deemed surplus will be moved on as we saw with Rose - if he were a free agent I am sure he would have been another player returning as a squad player.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Joey Thompson on 19:55 - Aug 7 with 2223 views442Dale

Joey Thompson on 19:51 - Aug 7 by RAFCBLUE

Short term loan signings (from memory):

* O'Sullivan (from Blackburn)
* Castro Pereira (from Man United)

On top of that we had Grant Holt's and David Syers' cameos - though both came to us as "unattached" rather than loan signings.

I think the set transfer window is a good thing. I remember Hereford abusing in a year where a lad from Wolves ran us ragged.

What is means for Dale is live within our means - I can't ever see Hill or Dunphy betting the house on players who might not make a return.

Thompson, RNL and others who are "known" are safer quantities even if deemed less exciting to fans.

Anyone deemed surplus will be moved on as we saw with Rose - if he were a free agent I am sure he would have been another player returning as a squad player.

So that would indicate we may see Tom Kennedy return again? Especially as he adds cover in an area of the pitch where we need it right now.

Would have made more sense than Thompson returning.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Joey Thompson on 19:58 - Aug 7 with 2218 viewsrochedale

Joey Thompson on 19:44 - Aug 7 by roccydaleian

Because I was a guest myself and remember arguing with him nearly all the second half that MO should get the MOM, I won the arguement obv. We put it to a vote really and Ollie got the nod off the majority and he scored a cracking goal that day as well.

How bizarre. Just text Billy now asking if he rated him, here is his reply...

'No i thought he was shit but i can remember when i was in the box for my birthday against oxford and i had to choose him as man of match cos he scored an absoloute screamer. Why?'

He is a keeper though!

Joey Thompson on 20:04 - Aug 7 with 2189 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 19:04 - Aug 7 by rochedale

Might have this wrong but I remember him planting a header into the back of the TDS net one Tuesday evening, against Hull City I think. I remember it being the goal that sealed a place in the Play Offs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024