Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joey Thompson 23:19 - Aug 6 with 26753 viewschuckleberry

Signs six month contract, apparently. Anyone heard the same?
Joey Thompson on 11:48 - Aug 8 with 4009 viewsSaxonDale

Joey Thompson on 11:45 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

So those are all long term injuries? RNL was walking around the car park on Saturday and looked OK, not saying he wasn't injured but it can't be anything serious. RNL was always injured anyway one of the reasons why Hill was right to release him so nothing's changed there.

Just because it makes sense to the manager doesn't mean we have to agree with it. Let's see how many games he plays and judge him on those performances if that's the case.

I didn't say you had to agree with it. My main gripe would be that I think we should at least wait until Thompson has played a few games before questioning Hill's motives for signing him.

On RNL's interview I think Hilly said it is an ankle injury and has no idea when he'll be back.
Joey Thompson on 11:52 - Aug 8 with 4002 viewsNewbury_Dale

Joey Thompson on 09:08 - Aug 8 by JimmyRustler

I think I remember him scoring a hat-trick once. Even that was shit.

He scored a hatrick at Aldershot in L2. It was a tremendous performance from Joe that day. I never saw him replicate it afterwards sadly.
Joey Thompson on 12:03 - Aug 8 with 3959 views49thseason

Hilly has already said that he has a first team squad of 15 or 16 that he is happy with so having some players who can step in if needed and who make training sessions viable is hardly a crime. Thompson isn't a world-beater based on the performances we remember but then Calvin didn't inspire greatly either when he first arrived. I think we should just accept this for what it is, a six-month contract to cover injuries and give better outcomes in training. I can't see a problem with any of that. If he makes an amazing transformation and becomes the "real deal" all well and good.
I still imagine Hill has other targets in mind and with the new sponsorship deal , maybe a few extra pounds to play with. I can't imagine he has given Thompson a contract because he can't find anyone better. There will be more twists and turns before the end of the month.
What I have wondered about over the last few months is if Hill has got it into his head that L1 survival is about consolidation rather than the previous "no fear" attitude and that by cutting out the risk-taking the club becomes more stable. The purchase of the ground and the need for a training base are now part of a bigger equation than has previously been the case and may be affecting his previous (and our preferred) more cavalier approach.
Joey Thompson on 12:13 - Aug 8 with 3926 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 11:48 - Aug 8 by SaxonDale

I didn't say you had to agree with it. My main gripe would be that I think we should at least wait until Thompson has played a few games before questioning Hill's motives for signing him.

On RNL's interview I think Hilly said it is an ankle injury and has no idea when he'll be back.

We all know how Joe plays though, we saw him at his best and he was released remember? He had a trial at Barrow a couple of weeks ago and they didn't take him on for a reason obviously ,and he struggled to perform in league two last season and was released. Of course I will give him a chance because I do that with every player who pulls on a Dale shirt but nobody will convince me this isn't a backward step.

RNL is RNL, the fact Hilly resigned him and yet again he is injured to the extent he doesn't know when he will recover, 'How long is a piece of string' was Hills reply to the question is exactly what the supporters said when he came back into the building. So we've re- signed a player to cover for another player who we re- signed with a history of injury problems. It sounds like a bloody dogs dinner to me but if Hill proves me wrong and both players prove to be good signings then I will eat dollops of humble pie. Also,how did Marcus Holness fit into Hills mindset of signing players who are only going to be better than what we already have? Anyway,what's done is done now,let's see how things pan out.
Joey Thompson on 12:25 - Aug 8 with 3886 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 12:03 - Aug 8 by 49thseason

Hilly has already said that he has a first team squad of 15 or 16 that he is happy with so having some players who can step in if needed and who make training sessions viable is hardly a crime. Thompson isn't a world-beater based on the performances we remember but then Calvin didn't inspire greatly either when he first arrived. I think we should just accept this for what it is, a six-month contract to cover injuries and give better outcomes in training. I can't see a problem with any of that. If he makes an amazing transformation and becomes the "real deal" all well and good.
I still imagine Hill has other targets in mind and with the new sponsorship deal , maybe a few extra pounds to play with. I can't imagine he has given Thompson a contract because he can't find anyone better. There will be more twists and turns before the end of the month.
What I have wondered about over the last few months is if Hill has got it into his head that L1 survival is about consolidation rather than the previous "no fear" attitude and that by cutting out the risk-taking the club becomes more stable. The purchase of the ground and the need for a training base are now part of a bigger equation than has previously been the case and may be affecting his previous (and our preferred) more cavalier approach.

We can't afford our own training base though. Purchasing the site, maintaining the pitches every week of the year and the equipment and staff involved, day to day running costs, utility bills etc.

You can't do all that on crowds of 2,500. Well you can but there would be nothing left to put a decent team out on the pitch. You can work out a rough cost on the back of a fag packet and straight away you realise it's not viable and you're giving yourself a massive headache. Just continue to rent venues, it's not ideal but it's hardly holding us back.
Joey Thompson on 12:39 - Aug 8 with 3842 viewsParkinsGimp

Joey Thompson on 12:45 - Aug 7 by alderleydale

Come on Gimp, I`m dying to know what you think!!!

Why ? Do you honestly think this is a good signing for the club?
At least Fitz has allieviated some of my worries by correcting me on the fact that we havent actually signed Holness. TFFT!
Joe T has gone through a lot in recent years and I know hes a decent lad but unfortunately hes not a League footballer. He never was first time round. Sorry but thats a fact. We are wasting what little wages we have to offer potential players with this mistake.
Joey Thompson on 12:53 - Aug 8 with 3795 viewsParkinsGimp

Joey Thompson on 07:04 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

You mentioned the signing sending out the wrong message and that's spot on. Thompson,and i think it would have been Holness, all had their time and proved to be not good enough or else they wouldn't have been released. A lot of waters passed under the bridge since their departures and they have steadily dropped out of the league and into oblivion. They can't even get fixed up at a Conference/National Club.

Some will post that Thompson is just a squad filler but he's taking a wage and we all know he isn't good enough to break into the first team so what's the point?? RNL is another, done rock all for nearly two years and just remained on the bench or sat in the Stands injured, Hill rightly released him but then out of the blue brings him back, on Saturday he resumed his normal place In the stands. We are already carrying Lund who seems to have become constantly injured and Vincentis another one who struggles to put a run of games together and last season he went backwards, no matter how much he doesn't like hearing it, he had a very poor season.

The Thompson signing has knocked the stuffing out of me and made me question Hills motives. When I hand over my money at the turnstile I want to be sure the manager is striving to put together the strongest squad he can and for the first time ever I am questioning the reasons behind the recruitment of certain players and it's not just based on their footballing attributes. They definitely don't represent progression and I would defy the manager to argue that point. We also know that Hills Budget hasn't been slashed to accommodate purchasing the Stadium , that's not how the Chairman and Directors work at this Club, they wouldn't do that to Hill, so that notion is a no starter.

I never thought I would see the day when Hill would try to recruit Joe Thompson and Marcus Holness again, we're better than that now aren't we?? For the first time it's now making me wonder whether Hills time at the Club is coming to an end, if he's lost his mojo and desire to actually make the team stronger then he should hold his hands up and call it a day, hand the reins over to Chris Beech.

Personally, I have always loved Hillys skills as a manager but the whole sideshow that comes with him has worn me down and I'm sick of hearing it,Thompson and Holness have pushed me over the edge. If I hear the word EXPECTATIONS again I'll bloody scream. No expectations allowed at the start of a brand new season and we are trying to attract extra supporters, how sad is that?

No doubt tomorrow's cup game will be treated as a game to give fringe players a run out, expectations of drawing a big club in the next round and boosting the coffers will be stamped on, i think I'll stay at home instead.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 7:25]

Spot on TS.
It is slightly worrying, and nobody can validate JT or RNL coming back, plus Bucket Ba""ard Murphy on the bench FFS !!!!
Joey Thompson on 13:48 - Aug 8 with 3661 viewsolympicdale

Joey Thompson on 07:04 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

You mentioned the signing sending out the wrong message and that's spot on. Thompson,and i think it would have been Holness, all had their time and proved to be not good enough or else they wouldn't have been released. A lot of waters passed under the bridge since their departures and they have steadily dropped out of the league and into oblivion. They can't even get fixed up at a Conference/National Club.

Some will post that Thompson is just a squad filler but he's taking a wage and we all know he isn't good enough to break into the first team so what's the point?? RNL is another, done rock all for nearly two years and just remained on the bench or sat in the Stands injured, Hill rightly released him but then out of the blue brings him back, on Saturday he resumed his normal place In the stands. We are already carrying Lund who seems to have become constantly injured and Vincentis another one who struggles to put a run of games together and last season he went backwards, no matter how much he doesn't like hearing it, he had a very poor season.

The Thompson signing has knocked the stuffing out of me and made me question Hills motives. When I hand over my money at the turnstile I want to be sure the manager is striving to put together the strongest squad he can and for the first time ever I am questioning the reasons behind the recruitment of certain players and it's not just based on their footballing attributes. They definitely don't represent progression and I would defy the manager to argue that point. We also know that Hills Budget hasn't been slashed to accommodate purchasing the Stadium , that's not how the Chairman and Directors work at this Club, they wouldn't do that to Hill, so that notion is a no starter.

I never thought I would see the day when Hill would try to recruit Joe Thompson and Marcus Holness again, we're better than that now aren't we?? For the first time it's now making me wonder whether Hills time at the Club is coming to an end, if he's lost his mojo and desire to actually make the team stronger then he should hold his hands up and call it a day, hand the reins over to Chris Beech.

Personally, I have always loved Hillys skills as a manager but the whole sideshow that comes with him has worn me down and I'm sick of hearing it,Thompson and Holness have pushed me over the edge. If I hear the word EXPECTATIONS again I'll bloody scream. No expectations allowed at the start of a brand new season and we are trying to attract extra supporters, how sad is that?

No doubt tomorrow's cup game will be treated as a game to give fringe players a run out, expectations of drawing a big club in the next round and boosting the coffers will be stamped on, i think I'll stay at home instead.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 7:25]

I think that's the crux of the matter, its not really about Thompson, more to do with what he represents, in that Hill sees this calibre of player as a way to move the team forward.

Ambition has to come from the manager, and it transmits through the team, to the fans and to the whole town. What does a signing like this do for morale, no one is going to look at this and think Dale are bringing in top quality, how is a signing like this, and god forbid, Holness, going to bring in extra fans, its managed to deflate fans expectations (sorry TS) before a ball has been kicked practically. As has been said previous, if we were struggling in l2 this would seem like a desperate move, but for a club supposedly trying to challenge the playoffs in league 1, its not even a backwards step, its falling in to a manhole.

Life is a game of fate.

Login to get fewer ads

Joey Thompson on 13:58 - Aug 8 with 3643 viewsSalwaDale

When will we learn to see the bigger picture.

I remember when we signed Lee Hodges and Ian Bishop. Never been so excited at signings - they were rubbish. Look at the size of the squad from the back page of TVOS compared to Peterborough's. We need more players, even if just to cover injuries and boost the team in training. If Joe Thompson coming in releases a bit of pressure on the likes of Hooper because Hill thinks that is best in the long term then I'm happy with that. If Joe actually gets some game time and plays well then fantastic.

Must admit, I am expecting the TK signing to follow but I'll put my trust in Hill. If we have a poor season (ie we get relegated) then I think those of you moaning about these kind of signings are probably right. As for me, I'm happy to wait and see.

TBBT

Joey Thompson on 16:08 - Aug 8 with 3461 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 13:58 - Aug 8 by SalwaDale

I remember when we signed Lee Hodges and Ian Bishop. Never been so excited at signings - they were rubbish. Look at the size of the squad from the back page of TVOS compared to Peterborough's. We need more players, even if just to cover injuries and boost the team in training. If Joe Thompson coming in releases a bit of pressure on the likes of Hooper because Hill thinks that is best in the long term then I'm happy with that. If Joe actually gets some game time and plays well then fantastic.

Must admit, I am expecting the TK signing to follow but I'll put my trust in Hill. If we have a poor season (ie we get relegated) then I think those of you moaning about these kind of signings are probably right. As for me, I'm happy to wait and see.

It's ok for you, you're thousands of miles away and don't have to watch it. At times Joe and Marcus used to make my eyes bleed, i thought those days had gone.

I thought Hill would have actually seen our defensive weaknesses and not thought that Holness could be the answer. Is that unreasonable thinking on my behalf?

Hills succeeded in smashing the lid down on the expectation box...and look how quickly he's done it. I often wonder what the rest of the squad are thinking when he is bringing in players of this calibre, it mustn't deflate them or else Hill wouldn't do it would he?

As you can see, I have looked at the bigger picture
Joey Thompson on 17:53 - Aug 8 with 3317 views442Dale

Joey Thompson on 13:58 - Aug 8 by SalwaDale

I noticed that on the back of the programme too. Last year's ours was invariably much bigger than the opposition's.

The bigger picture for many is that with all the footballers out there without a deal, we have gone for one that isn't going to improve the squad sufficiently. It may indeed be a good deal for all concerned and end up being a masterstroke that ends up supporting what we already have, time will tell. It's just that in the meantime supporters have judged what they know about a player against what resources we have at present.

Throwing another one in the pot, keeping Rhys Bennett would have provided much more value to the squad than signing both RNL and Thompson if only for his ability to play in so many positions. And that's after a season where he didn't progress.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Joey Thompson on 17:57 - Aug 8 with 3286 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Joey Thompson on 12:13 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

We all know how Joe plays though, we saw him at his best and he was released remember? He had a trial at Barrow a couple of weeks ago and they didn't take him on for a reason obviously ,and he struggled to perform in league two last season and was released. Of course I will give him a chance because I do that with every player who pulls on a Dale shirt but nobody will convince me this isn't a backward step.

RNL is RNL, the fact Hilly resigned him and yet again he is injured to the extent he doesn't know when he will recover, 'How long is a piece of string' was Hills reply to the question is exactly what the supporters said when he came back into the building. So we've re- signed a player to cover for another player who we re- signed with a history of injury problems. It sounds like a bloody dogs dinner to me but if Hill proves me wrong and both players prove to be good signings then I will eat dollops of humble pie. Also,how did Marcus Holness fit into Hills mindset of signing players who are only going to be better than what we already have? Anyway,what's done is done now,let's see how things pan out.

You're going to give him chance but he will never convince you? Surely you're not giving him a chance are you because you've already made your mind up? Fooking ping pong!!

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Joey Thompson on 19:51 - Aug 8 with 3103 viewsSalwaDale

Joey Thompson on 16:08 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

It's ok for you, you're thousands of miles away and don't have to watch it. At times Joe and Marcus used to make my eyes bleed, i thought those days had gone.

I thought Hill would have actually seen our defensive weaknesses and not thought that Holness could be the answer. Is that unreasonable thinking on my behalf?

Hills succeeded in smashing the lid down on the expectation box...and look how quickly he's done it. I often wonder what the rest of the squad are thinking when he is bringing in players of this calibre, it mustn't deflate them or else Hill wouldn't do it would he?

As you can see, I have looked at the bigger picture

Thousand of miles away???? I'm currently in Bamford.

TBBT

Joey Thompson on 20:30 - Aug 8 with 3024 viewsTVOS1907

Joey Thompson on 19:51 - Aug 8 by SalwaDale

Thousand of miles away???? I'm currently in Bamford.

Yeah, but TS is in Canada.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Joey Thompson on 20:45 - Aug 8 with 2988 viewskippy333

Joey Thompson on 20:30 - Aug 8 by TVOS1907

Yeah, but TS is in Canada.

Wish he'd stay there, his effort to be seen as the ultimate Rochdale supporter is tiresome after a while.
Joey Thompson on 20:53 - Aug 8 with 2958 views442Dale

Joey Thompson on 20:45 - Aug 8 by kippy333

Wish he'd stay there, his effort to be seen as the ultimate Rochdale supporter is tiresome after a while.

He really isn't like that at all. A more self-depreciating, grounded bloke you couldn't wish to meet.

He never even bothers watching the end of games for a start!

Joey Thompson on 20:57 - Aug 8 with 2943 viewsTalkingSutty

Just give the ignore button a good whack,that's what i do😃
Joey Thompson on 20:58 - Aug 8 with 2937 views442Dale

Joey Thompson on 20:57 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

Just give the ignore button a good whack,that's what i do😃

I dare you, go on I'll even threaten to screw up a Gary Jones picture.

Joey Thompson on 21:07 - Aug 8 with 2919 viewsTVOS1907

He isn't really in Canada.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Joey Thompson on 21:13 - Aug 8 with 2903 viewsD_Alien

Joey Thompson on 21:07 - Aug 8 by TVOS1907

He isn't really in Canada.

Why not? What's he got against Canada? Is this an anti-Canadian crusade? It gets tiresome after a while.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Joey Thompson on 21:13 - Aug 8 with 2903 viewsTalkingSutty

Joey Thompson on 20:58 - Aug 8 by 442Dale

I dare you, go on I'll even threaten to screw up a Gary Jones picture.

What a player,knocks the likes of JT,MH,RNL and BBM into a cocked hat. In fact,seeing as though we are recruiting players from days gone by what's wrong with bringing the Captain back?

The ones who are happy with the return of the old boys will surely pat me on the back for this suggestion, the return of our record breaking, goalscoring,penalty taking hero.

During the last season he played more games than all of the above combined. We have no leader so why not?He could take over the managerial role when Hill leaves because some fans have had the nerve to disagree with his decisions and question his motives, rather than agreeing with everything he does??
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 21:20]
Joey Thompson on 21:17 - Aug 8 with 2886 viewsnordenblue

Joey Thompson on 21:13 - Aug 8 by TalkingSutty

What a player,knocks the likes of JT,MH,RNL and BBM into a cocked hat. In fact,seeing as though we are recruiting players from days gone by what's wrong with bringing the Captain back?

The ones who are happy with the return of the old boys will surely pat me on the back for this suggestion, the return of our record breaking, goalscoring,penalty taking hero.

During the last season he played more games than all of the above combined. We have no leader so why not?He could take over the managerial role when Hill leaves because some fans have had the nerve to disagree with his decisions and question his motives, rather than agreeing with everything he does??
[Post edited 8 Aug 2016 21:20]

I think you've had a whack on the head nevermind the bloody ignore button...please God no more "old" players..
Joey Thompson on 08:08 - Aug 10 with 2504 viewsisitme

With the news that Vincenti, Lund, Rathbone and RNL are all injured this signing makes more sense now. A known commodity on a six month deal who will probably be on a relatively low wage. When other players are fit he probably wont be in the match day squad, which is better than signing a fringe player on a two year deal. When needed he can come on and do a decent job, like last night.

No he isn't a big signing to excite supporters and we still probably need a couple more players before the end of the transfer window, especially some more defensive cover, but the more I think about it, the more I understand the signing.
Joey Thompson on 20:15 - Aug 10 with 2247 viewsFondles

Think am gonna go on saturday now. Gotta see my old mate JT he cant have got any worse?
[Post edited 10 Aug 2016 20:16]
Joey Thompson on 09:25 - Aug 12 with 1950 viewsstigmundo77

He looked faster than previous and stronger on the ball , I'm confident he can do a steady job for us based on Tuesdays cameo
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024