Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS 17:12 - Aug 20 with 18537 viewsJimmyRustler

Hendo up front OR off Davies/Andrew.

Camps and Allen CM with playing just behind them. Yes Cannon has had a great start but it wasn't broken last year so why fix it?

NML and Donal wide and nowhere else.

Tanser at LB. I know this gives us less height and that's the last thing we need at the moment with our set piece vulnerability but Jim has had a mare so far.

Logan in net. Yes he 'cost' us today but saved a pen and played well by all accounts.

Thompson and Bunney NOWHERE near the starting line-up unless there's a death in the squad.

If we're gonna leak goals from set plays then teams are gonna pick up on this so the least we can do is play attacking football and try and score more goals than the other team. Playing our best player (Hendo) in CM is NOT conducive to attacking football.

[Post edited 22 Aug 2016 12:27]
FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 18:53 - Aug 21 with 2987 viewssalty

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 13:23 - Aug 21 by AtThePeake

When did Tanser get injured at Swindon?

He only played 7 games last season. Jim started 'doing a job there' after TK and Rose had been playing there for the majority of last season.

Do agree that he needs to be given another chance though.

Scott got injured in the warm up v Swindon,he was starting that day, Michael rose replaced him, he was out for 2-3 months.Big Jim played there after Michael rose covered as he got pushed more into midfield .Scott played 11 games last season. So he needs putting back there imo. There are players who are always up for selection no matter how pants they are and some have to work harder for there chance, on the basis Scott actually never got dropped he needs another chance. I've seen some great performances from him and a couple of dodgy ones but at the minute it's a no brainier for me.
FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 18:55 - Aug 21 with 2972 views442Dale

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 18:53 - Aug 21 by salty

Scott got injured in the warm up v Swindon,he was starting that day, Michael rose replaced him, he was out for 2-3 months.Big Jim played there after Michael rose covered as he got pushed more into midfield .Scott played 11 games last season. So he needs putting back there imo. There are players who are always up for selection no matter how pants they are and some have to work harder for there chance, on the basis Scott actually never got dropped he needs another chance. I've seen some great performances from him and a couple of dodgy ones but at the minute it's a no brainier for me.

Tanser looks to have gone backwards compared to the player who broke through two years ago. However I'd stick him in there now as McNulty is becoming predictable now.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 19:49 - Aug 21 with 2901 viewsnordenblue

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 16:12 - Aug 21 by Bainesy15

Yes... by definition alone...

I'll get him a badge then....
FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 20:45 - Aug 21 with 2810 viewsTVOS1907

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 18:53 - Aug 21 by salty

You're well informed.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 23:49 - Aug 21 with 2691 viewssalty

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 20:45 - Aug 21 by TVOS1907

You're well informed.

arent all fans well informed? That's a fans duty!!
FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 00:22 - Aug 22 with 2668 viewsTVOS1907

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 23:49 - Aug 21 by salty

arent all fans well informed? That's a fans duty!!

Some are better informed than others.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 08:54 - Aug 22 with 2545 viewsnordenblue

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 00:22 - Aug 22 by TVOS1907

Some are better informed than others.

And some aren't just "fans"...
FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 09:55 - Aug 22 with 2482 viewsfitzochris

The result on Saturday was a blow. Let’s all be honest, though, we didn’t deserve to lose and a draw would have been a fair result. Those saying we were awful need to watch more games of football.

There was some disquiet when the team was announced, but, as I said to a fellow messageboarder, let’s see how it all pans out before getting all upset.

As the game started, and we attacked the Pearl Street, it became apparent Hill was going with a spear approach. NML as the tip, Bunney and Thompson as the edges and Hendo as the shaft. Hendo is the most important player in this set up, as he decides whether to play the ball down the edges or a through ball towards the tip. For me, it didn’t click. His through balls were too weighty and when he chose to go wide, he was too often then let down by Bunney or Thompson, who both, too often, failed to beat their man and instead elected to shield the ball and play it back the way it came. In the second half, Cannon and McNulty did more to support them, and the link up play was nice at times, but it still wasn’t quite enough.

When Bunney and Thompson did get by their man, the resultant balls into the box were often tame and too near Martin, who had an easy time dropping on them and smothering. This left the onrushing NML or Hendo frustrated.

Further back, Allen and Lund did okay, other than some daft poorly timed challenges from the latter. On that subject, I have to agree that the ref took some over-the-top abuse. There was a point when Hendo clearly shoved his man over from behind and the supporters around me went daft when he was pulled up for it. I sarcastically shouted “He never touched him” at this point. Thankfully, at least one supporter sat in front of me gave me a quizzical look.

From what I could see of the defence in the first half, it looked assured. I could hear Logan shouting instructions frequently. “Keeper’s ball!” Very reassuring.

Anyway, just a bit toothless at half-time, but enough taking place to suggest we could do something more after the break.

The second half gave me a chance to have a good look at our defence. McGahey stood out for me. A good tackler and plays a decent pass under pressure too. Canavan is a big unit and supported him well for the most part.

Cannon and McNulty were fairly competent at full back. I certainly didn’t see anything that made me want to shout vitriolic abuse at either (as some did). McNulty showed a lack of awareness when giving away the penalty, but he wasn’t awful over the piece. What I will say is he doesn’t look like a natural full back, if that makes sense? And we know Cannon is better further forward.

And now to my player of the day, Conrad Logan. What a chap. That second half display - that included a point-blank save and two one-handed saves in quick succession - were worth the point we should have had alone. And then the penalty save. The way he got in the opposition’s ear, the way he shrank the goal with his antics on the line and the way he saved the bloody thing. Wow. Okay, some of his kicking fell short and should he have flown off the line for the last-minute free kick? But before that, he’d done more than enough to keep us in three games, never mind one.

Let’s be honest here, though, we should have taken the pressure off him at the other end. Once Calvin came on (who ironically put in some of the best crosses of the game), we looked much better. Davies and McDermott made a difference, too.

MK Dons were there for the taking. I’ve seen them play against us a few times, and this was a stark contrast to the last (to be fair, Dele Alli was playing that day). To leave that game with nothing was bitterly disappointing. Given that Conrad had to bail us out and our toothless attack (an exceptional save from Martin aside), a draw was definitely the fairest outcome.

So, yes, an inability to defend set pieces once again cost us, but I would be looking at the other end of the field for the majority of the blame apportioning as far as Saturday’s outcome goes.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2016 10:09]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 10:16 - Aug 22 with 2456 viewsisitme

Excellent write up.

A bit like the Monty Python sketch, but apart from the penalty save I can only recall two other saves he made, oh and a routine one from a free kick in the first half. In my opinion he did not have much to do.

If Henderson scores with his header and we don't concede the late free kick it is happy days with a good second half performance.

I suppose sport is all about small margins. Watch us get lucky and beat QPR tomorrow.
FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 11:30 - Aug 22 with 2369 viewsdingdangblue

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 10:16 - Aug 22 by isitme

Excellent write up.

A bit like the Monty Python sketch, but apart from the penalty save I can only recall two other saves he made, oh and a routine one from a free kick in the first half. In my opinion he did not have much to do.

If Henderson scores with his header and we don't concede the late free kick it is happy days with a good second half performance.

I suppose sport is all about small margins. Watch us get lucky and beat QPR tomorrow.

Definitely small margins, Hendo's header hits the keepers outstretched arm rather than him knowing much about it - even then 9 out of 10 times it would have deflected in rather than over the bar.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 13:13 - Aug 22 with 2241 viewsfitzochris

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 11:30 - Aug 22 by dingdangblue

Definitely small margins, Hendo's header hits the keepers outstretched arm rather than him knowing much about it - even then 9 out of 10 times it would have deflected in rather than over the bar.

From the Pearl Street, it looked like a terrific save, but having not seen a replay, I'm not sure.

Karl Robinson said: "That's the best save I've ever seen live. I don't know how he got his arm around to it."

He also, rather arrogantly, said: "People will make assumptions we should have walked this game but we came here on a windy afternoon with rain coming down and we had to win the game in a different way."

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 14:56 - Aug 22 with 2143 viewsdingdangblue

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 13:13 - Aug 22 by fitzochris

From the Pearl Street, it looked like a terrific save, but having not seen a replay, I'm not sure.

Karl Robinson said: "That's the best save I've ever seen live. I don't know how he got his arm around to it."

He also, rather arrogantly, said: "People will make assumptions we should have walked this game but we came here on a windy afternoon with rain coming down and we had to win the game in a different way."

The save is on here. 11mins 18 secs

https://www.my5.tv/football-on-5-goal-rush/season-201617/episode-3

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 14:59 - Aug 22 with 2135 viewsfitzochris

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 14:56 - Aug 22 by dingdangblue

The save is on here. 11mins 18 secs

https://www.my5.tv/football-on-5-goal-rush/season-201617/episode-3

Cheers for that.

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 17:08 - Aug 22 with 2028 viewsShun

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 16:08 - Aug 21 by Bainesy15

I reckon everyone would struggle if played out of position with bugger all support! Get him up front where he's proven he can finish with NML out wide and drop Thompson for good

He was up front on Saturday.
FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 18:01 - Aug 22 with 1972 viewsdingdangblue

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 17:08 - Aug 22 by Shun

I didn't notice him?

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 03:47 - Aug 23 with 1784 viewsAtThePeake

FFO Keith: Play our strongest team FFS on 17:08 - Aug 22 by Shun

I thought he started wide-right and then came central briefly in the second half before being taken off.

In terms of solutions with Bunney, he's' incredibly ineffective out wide and he's mostly ineffective up front. My solution would be to drop him. (Not drop kick him, although I think a few who sit around me in the Main Stand would consider it!)

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024