Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strange surnames (other than Chair) 00:49 - Aug 9 with 15053 viewsJAPRANGERS

Chair is a strange surname for person to have is it not?

Some other weird surnames:

Cock
Hickinbottom
Handcock
Haggard
Daft
Shufflebottom
Grave
Stranger
Jelly
Slow
Crankshaw
Onion
Willy
Pigg
Poor
Paddy
Hustler
Hickinbotham
Glasscock
Nutter
Bottom
Winterbottom

(from http://metro.co.uk/2006/08/31/silliest-surnames-in-britain-236450/)

Imagine being at Secondary school with a surname like Glasscock!

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 23:39 - Aug 9 with 2249 viewsIrishR

Searching through the work messenger we have a

Dik Dockter and an Anal Dave.

Back in the Uni days we had a Ulick Magee. Not too strange to some but where i'm from gee is another name for lady parts so was always great to see that poor fella.
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 00:35 - Aug 10 with 2233 viewsbob566

I work in a US company. One of the guys is called Randy rantz. Great name
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 00:57 - Aug 10 with 2227 viewskarl

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 22:23 - Aug 9 by Boston

How come we all used to know people with odd names. Where are they now?

A fairly common surname here used to be 'Tw@tt' and is also a place name too. It has almost been completely replaced now by the non Orkney name of 'Watt'. Why let these people ruin our fun by letting them change their names!
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:40 - Aug 10 with 2161 viewsMoonshineSteve

Once met a fella called Andrew Smells. Was trying to change it at the time.

Colleague of mine once had an application form from someone with the full name William Charles Majestic Fudge.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 16:24 - Aug 10 with 2134 viewshopphoops

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:40 - Aug 10 by MoonshineSteve

Once met a fella called Andrew Smells. Was trying to change it at the time.

Colleague of mine once had an application form from someone with the full name William Charles Majestic Fudge.

Imagine the poor kids if he married a Packer.

Victorians had great wack job names, next to Keats' grave in Rome lies another proto-hipster called H. Marsh Custard.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 16:28 - Aug 10 with 2131 viewshopphoops

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 18:51 - Aug 9 by FredManRave

I literally came across a client yesterday for the first time whose name was Fani Vacaflor. As if that wasn't enough chortle material her surname translates from Spanish to Cowflower.

Also have a client called Rosa Cúnto and as you know Rosa is Spanish for either Rose or Pink.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 20:34]

"I literally came across a client" - I knew you were a gigolo Fred.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 18:09 - Aug 10 with 2104 viewsted_hendrix

Who could forget the twinkle-toed Arthur Gonorrhoea?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 18:58 - Aug 10 with 2089 viewsFredManRave

Lest we misremember another one of our own Ray Drinkwater.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Login to get fewer ads

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 19:13 - Aug 10 with 2083 viewsFredManRave

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 16:28 - Aug 10 by hopphoops

"I literally came across a client" - I knew you were a gigolo Fred.

I wish. The only thing I come over these days is dizzy when I stand up too quickly.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2017 19:16]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 20:55 - Aug 10 with 2057 viewsCiderwithRsie

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 22:23 - Aug 9 by Boston

How come we all used to know people with odd names. Where are they now?

All changed their bloody names, the bastards.
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 22:49 - Aug 10 with 2041 viewsTheRam

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 07:57 - Aug 9 by colinallcars

Don't forget our old number 8 Arthur Longbottom who later changed his name to Langley.

Langley longbottim?
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 22:55 - Aug 10 with 2038 viewsTheRam

Surprised Peter shirtliff didn't get more stick😋x
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 13:36 - Jan 6 with 1097 viewsR_from_afar

I came across someone as part of my work who has such a stupendous name that I simply had to resurrect this thread. The name does appear to be genuine and the person is called...honestly....

Hannibal Scipio II

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 13:40 - Jan 6 with 1084 viewsconnell10

Monkeyslap

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 14:49 - Jan 6 with 993 viewsjohann28

Sometimes it's not so much the surname as what some parents decide to go with it - you do wonder about what's going through their heads. Some girls I taught over the years:

Kylie Smilie
Henrietta Nutt
Polly Sloggett
Calypso Doe
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:03 - Jan 6 with 985 viewskensalriser

Once knew a Dutch gentleman through business who went by the name of Charlie Prick. He owned it - no one who met him at a conference didn't get a card and everyone who met him remembered him.

There's a French winemaker called Fanny Sabre. Oo-er.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:14 - Jan 6 with 969 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I worked in Hong Kong for a while and the local Hong Kong people used to give themselves a western name or even just a western word they liked as their name. We started writing them down in a book as some were fantastic. We had a Holiday Yim (which always made him sound like he was the concierge when answering the phone) but my personal favourite was Volume Chan.
We had two boats to take us between the two islands the site was spread across and one of the boats was named 'Wan Kee'. We had to get the local girls to call them for us on the radio as the crew only spoke Cantonese. One day I ordered one and the girl popped her head in the office and said 'Peter, Wan Kee, 5 minutes'. The very droll bloke I worked with looked up and said 'Blimey, I can't even get her to make me a cup of tea'
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:21 - Jan 6 with 964 viewsSimonD

I used to work in airfreight. We had a client in the far east called "Hairy Chest and go down".
Strange world!
Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:25 - Jan 6 with 958 viewsBoston

Ah, glad the Cantonese angle popped up. There was a lady bank official of that heritage at a place where I used to conduct business, Ping Pong.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2023 18:25]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:39 - Jan 6 with 928 viewsJAPRANGERS

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:14 - Jan 6 by CroydonCaptJack

I worked in Hong Kong for a while and the local Hong Kong people used to give themselves a western name or even just a western word they liked as their name. We started writing them down in a book as some were fantastic. We had a Holiday Yim (which always made him sound like he was the concierge when answering the phone) but my personal favourite was Volume Chan.
We had two boats to take us between the two islands the site was spread across and one of the boats was named 'Wan Kee'. We had to get the local girls to call them for us on the radio as the crew only spoke Cantonese. One day I ordered one and the girl popped her head in the office and said 'Peter, Wan Kee, 5 minutes'. The very droll bloke I worked with looked up and said 'Blimey, I can't even get her to make me a cup of tea'

Brilliant ! Had me in stiches!

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 16:44 - Jan 6 with 890 viewsEsox_Lucius

After Ebere Eze, Chay Tilt and Ilias Chair were all in the U23 team and then moved to the 1st team, I was just waiting for Chay Tilt to get in so I could get a home shirt with Eze Tilt Chair on the back.

The grass is always greener.

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 17:11 - Jan 6 with 849 viewsR_from_afar

At one place I worked, there was a period when the UK sales team included a Mr Joint and a Mr Cockayne

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 17:31 - Jan 6 with 838 viewsQPR_Hibs

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 16:44 - Jan 6 by Esox_Lucius

After Ebere Eze, Chay Tilt and Ilias Chair were all in the U23 team and then moved to the 1st team, I was just waiting for Chay Tilt to get in so I could get a home shirt with Eze Tilt Chair on the back.

I don't think Richard Dunne, Jordan Mutch and Yun Suk-Young ever played in the same match so we never got to see the passing move:
Dunne to Mutch, Mutch to Yun.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 18:08 - Jan 6 with 808 viewsMick_S

I delivered to Mr & Mrs Tickle a few days ago.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 18:15 - Jan 6 with 803 viewsPunteR

Strange surnames (other than Chair) on 15:14 - Jan 6 by CroydonCaptJack

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024