Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The financial cost of relegation 17:46 - Dec 30 with 14061 viewsdawlishdale

I am wondering just how much it will cost us if we drop down to L2 from a financial point of view, and have done some rough figures, which may or may not be accurate, but they are my best guess.

These figures are for a full season.

Loss of TV money £200,000

Loss of away fan income £250-300k

Loss of sponsorship / hospitality programme/kit sales £50k

Loss of home support £200,000

I know that these are rough figures, but they represent around £750k in terms of reduced income should we go down.

And yet the Directors tell us that we currently have no money to improve the squad, which suggests to me that we are currently running at a big annual loss, propped up by the Hogan/Allen transfer fees.

I'd suggest we cannot afford NOT to bring in a couple of players in January, and hopefully shifting out or paying off some of the deadwood.

It's a calculated gamble, but one that imho, we can't really afford not to take.

Discuss...
The financial cost of relegation on 12:08 - Dec 31 with 3131 viewsseasidedale

I am sure i read somewhere that the Hogan money is earmarked and will keeping us going for 3 seasons, also I remember Dunphy saying that KH has money every year to spend but doesnt (might be wrong on that one)
The financial cost of relegation on 12:29 - Dec 31 with 3082 viewsYouTubeDale

I feel certain that we will get at least 2 players in and players will go the other way to help finance it. Keith isn’t stupid and will know that it will cost us if we go down. He will play a balancing act with the finances and just throw enough money at the problem, without paying too much.

Thinking about it, I would take the gamble on getting 3 players on loan from near-by premiership/ championship teams, obviously squad players unlikely to play. There must be 3 we could afford on a loan basis. And just hope we hit on a Doyle. One player could transform our season. We have seen it countless times. That is the gamble we should take, without pushing the boat out too far, re bury.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The financial cost of relegation on 12:49 - Dec 31 with 3057 viewsfitzochris

The financial cost of relegation on 12:29 - Dec 31 by YouTubeDale

I feel certain that we will get at least 2 players in and players will go the other way to help finance it. Keith isn’t stupid and will know that it will cost us if we go down. He will play a balancing act with the finances and just throw enough money at the problem, without paying too much.

Thinking about it, I would take the gamble on getting 3 players on loan from near-by premiership/ championship teams, obviously squad players unlikely to play. There must be 3 we could afford on a loan basis. And just hope we hit on a Doyle. One player could transform our season. We have seen it countless times. That is the gamble we should take, without pushing the boat out too far, re bury.

The money thing is surely about wages. We very rarely pay a transfer fee, although we can’t rule that out this time.

Loaning from bigger clubs isn’t as easy as it used to be either now. So many fees, clauses and penalties attached. Plus you don’t know what you’re going to end up with unless you get someone in on a trial basis first.

I don’t care what we do - loan, free agent or transfer - as long as we do something.

It’s clear an external influence is needed to push this side on.

My only fear is we lose a player and the only signing we make is an inferior replacement. Febian Brandy anyone?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

The financial cost of relegation on 12:53 - Dec 31 with 3043 viewsD_Alien

The financial cost of relegation on 12:49 - Dec 31 by fitzochris

The money thing is surely about wages. We very rarely pay a transfer fee, although we can’t rule that out this time.

Loaning from bigger clubs isn’t as easy as it used to be either now. So many fees, clauses and penalties attached. Plus you don’t know what you’re going to end up with unless you get someone in on a trial basis first.

I don’t care what we do - loan, free agent or transfer - as long as we do something.

It’s clear an external influence is needed to push this side on.

My only fear is we lose a player and the only signing we make is an inferior replacement. Febian Brandy anyone?

Any type of brandy will do, watching Dale at t' minute

Cheers!

[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 12:54]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The financial cost of relegation on 13:34 - Dec 31 with 2987 viewsTVOS1907

The financial cost of relegation on 09:37 - Dec 31 by RAFCBLUE

Isn't the objective of this transfer window the same, regardless of what league we may believe we will be in with 22 games to play, being build a squad capable of being able to compete in League 1?

That's simply to identify and recruit undervalued players faster and more effectively than our competitors.

Brentford are the best performer here IMO over the last five years. Here's what their Head of Recruitment job looks like:

https://www.brentfordfc.com/siteassets/documents/brentford-fc---head-of-recruitm

Who at Rochdale is responsible for these activities?

I think Brentford are a slightly different kettle of fish to us.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The financial cost of relegation on 13:53 - Dec 31 with 2955 viewsRAFCBLUE

The financial cost of relegation on 13:34 - Dec 31 by TVOS1907

I think Brentford are a slightly different kettle of fish to us.

I can see why you could think that but the Brentford model between 2009 and 2012 was all about consolidation in League 1 - precisely the model we have stated we want as a League club.

It's a system that works and has expanded since then. They have made millions developing players due to brilliant identification in the UK firstly and then mainland Europe.

Brentford have a system of talent spotting and moving players in and out. The identification and attraction in is a key part of their success in a competitive London market similar to our North West.

We could learn a lot and make a lot by adapting their approach to the North West market.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

The financial cost of relegation on 13:59 - Dec 31 with 2942 viewsTVOS1907

The financial cost of relegation on 13:53 - Dec 31 by RAFCBLUE

I can see why you could think that but the Brentford model between 2009 and 2012 was all about consolidation in League 1 - precisely the model we have stated we want as a League club.

It's a system that works and has expanded since then. They have made millions developing players due to brilliant identification in the UK firstly and then mainland Europe.

Brentford have a system of talent spotting and moving players in and out. The identification and attraction in is a key part of their success in a competitive London market similar to our North West.

We could learn a lot and make a lot by adapting their approach to the North West market.

They had more money behind them, better crowds and a more 'capital' location.

It's a nice idea, but we simply aren't comparable clubs.

The financial cost of relegation on 14:32 - Dec 31 with 2877 viewsRAFCBLUE

The financial cost of relegation on 13:59 - Dec 31 by TVOS1907

They had more money behind them, better crowds and a more 'capital' location.

It's a nice idea, but we simply aren't comparable clubs.

I thought that, but I recently learned that their last three years has been self financed. The initial capital (from Matthew Benham)

Even if we go down a level and work to sell to Championship clubs, the model works.

It is possible for every club.

If you look at our players (so excluding loans) in in the last few seasons it's:

2013/14 - 10 players; 11 out - squad reduction 1
2014/15 - 8 players; 11 out - squad reduction 3
2015/16 - 6 players; 8 out - squad reduction 2
2016/17 - 11 players; 11 out - no change
2017/18 - 3 players in; 5 out - squad reduction 2

We've in that time sold players like Conor Ronan to Wolves and other kids in the early development phases, Hogan, Allen - a lot of value developed to pay for our ground and running costs.

We've farmed the field Hill inherited on his return from Barnsley.

We do need to recruitment of about 5 players if you accept the Coleman squad was larger than needed and that we can't game the loan system anymore.

The Hill squad is 8 players light over 5 years; 4 players light over the current League 1 spell.

Brentford's model works in a market where playing assets are valuable commodities.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/

Login to get fewer ads

The financial cost of relegation on 14:40 - Dec 31 with 2866 viewsTVOS1907

The financial cost of relegation on 14:32 - Dec 31 by RAFCBLUE

I thought that, but I recently learned that their last three years has been self financed. The initial capital (from Matthew Benham)

Even if we go down a level and work to sell to Championship clubs, the model works.

It is possible for every club.

If you look at our players (so excluding loans) in in the last few seasons it's:

2013/14 - 10 players; 11 out - squad reduction 1
2014/15 - 8 players; 11 out - squad reduction 3
2015/16 - 6 players; 8 out - squad reduction 2
2016/17 - 11 players; 11 out - no change
2017/18 - 3 players in; 5 out - squad reduction 2

We've in that time sold players like Conor Ronan to Wolves and other kids in the early development phases, Hogan, Allen - a lot of value developed to pay for our ground and running costs.

We've farmed the field Hill inherited on his return from Barnsley.

We do need to recruitment of about 5 players if you accept the Coleman squad was larger than needed and that we can't game the loan system anymore.

The Hill squad is 8 players light over 5 years; 4 players light over the current League 1 spell.

Brentford's model works in a market where playing assets are valuable commodities.

We're 23rd in League One and six points from safety.

I think there are more pressing matters to focus on.

The financial cost of relegation on 16:48 - Dec 31 with 2738 viewsBlueMessiah

The financial cost of relegation on 14:40 - Dec 31 by TVOS1907

But a interesting and informative post nevertheless.
I'm sure you will agree.

Poll: Do I Know You?

The financial cost of relegation on 17:12 - Dec 31 with 2704 viewsTVOS1907

The financial cost of relegation on 16:48 - Dec 31 by BlueMessiah

But a interesting and informative post nevertheless.
I'm sure you will agree.

It is, but I’m just not sure it’s relevant to us, particularly at this moment in time.

The financial cost of relegation on 17:32 - Dec 31 with 2673 viewsrkershaw

The financial cost of relegation on 17:12 - Dec 31 by TVOS1907

It is, but I’m just not sure it’s relevant to us, particularly at this moment in time.

We're still in two cup competitions.......having accrued X amount of ££££ along the way!! We've sold 3 of of our Crown Jewels .......receiving X amount of ££££ along the way!! We've got home grown talent coming out of our ears.......with Adshead , Morley and Matheson knocking on the first team door.........probably more X amount of ££££ coming our way!! We received a bag full of ££££ from the Hogan sale......only problem now is where to spend those ££££.....new year / new Dale!! ;)
The financial cost of relegation on 17:38 - Dec 31 with 2664 viewshxdale

The financial cost of relegation on 17:32 - Dec 31 by rkershaw

We're still in two cup competitions.......having accrued X amount of ££££ along the way!! We've sold 3 of of our Crown Jewels .......receiving X amount of ££££ along the way!! We've got home grown talent coming out of our ears.......with Adshead , Morley and Matheson knocking on the first team door.........probably more X amount of ££££ coming our way!! We received a bag full of ££££ from the Hogan sale......only problem now is where to spend those ££££.....new year / new Dale!! ;)

Like it... We need a couple of crowd pulling players. Premier league, championship.. I don't mind.. come on we need a couple of extreme signings...
The financial cost of relegation on 18:07 - Dec 31 with 2619 viewsrkershaw

The financial cost of relegation on 17:38 - Dec 31 by hxdale

Like it... We need a couple of crowd pulling players. Premier league, championship.. I don't mind.. come on we need a couple of extreme signings...

We need a short term solution to see us over the relegation line come the end of April ......, 3/4 players who've been around the block and have the know how to get us out of this mess....... Mr Clarke at the back would be a good start!! ;)
The financial cost of relegation on 18:12 - Dec 31 with 2613 viewsRAFCBLUE

The financial cost of relegation on 14:40 - Dec 31 by TVOS1907

I couldn't disagree more that there is any more pressing matter at a professional football club than continually improving the value, quality and depth of its playing squad.

The reason we currently are 23rd in League One and six points from safety (albeit with a game in hand on some teams above us) is due to the players we have and the performances they have put in, isn't it?

If we go out and identify, attract and sign a player in this transfer window who contributes to winning a football game on a repeated basis, I'll bet they won't be here long. We can do that within our means without spending silly money, but we do have to make an investment.

Take Scott Hogan.

33 league games he lasted here scoring 17 league goals in 14 months following his return.

That scouting and investment helped us gain promotion and netted £750,000 for the club from an initial outlay of zero which covered Hogan's wages and much more besides. With the hope of add-ons!

Brentford's initial investment was repaid 12 times over - covering his wages, treatment for two knee injuries and our fee meaning his 21 goals and 33 appearances there cost them nothing.

Did Brentford stop at the point of making a profit on Hogan?

Of course not. They used that opportunity to invest in:

1) Henrik Dalsagaard from Wargem
2) Luke Daniels from Scunthorpe
3) Ollie Watkins from Exeter
4) Neal Maupay from St Etienne
5) Kamohelo Mokotjo from FC Twente and
6) Mads Sorenson from AC Horsens

Ollie Watkins (7 goals this season) and Neal Maupay (5 goals this season) are contributing and they can have Luke Daniels as a spare keeper! Those six players will be worth more than Brentford paid for them and much more than the £750k cost of Hogan.

We also invested some of the Hogan money in Mark Kitching from Middlesborough. One in, one out. Did we look at Ollie Watkins who was in League 2 at the time? No chance.

We don't exist for any other reason than being a shop window for talent to improve itself and cash in. It's a mutually beneficial relationship for the player, our manager and club.

If we stop this behaviour the economics and demographics of our situation dictate a swift and progressive slide down the football pyramid.

The game now is about buying, then developing and sell players for a cash-rich Premier League and associated former Premier League Championship clubs.

There is no prize money for winning league 1 or 2. There is an annual £1.3m in TV and payment solidarity payments for League One and £0.9m for League 2.

Take the money received from Done (to Sheff United), Hogan (to Brentford), Conor Ronan (to Wolves), Allen (to Burton) - I'd conservatively estimate that as being £3m up front plus add-ons (for all four players) and possibly nearer £5m overall since Summer 2014 - with potential to grow!

Perhaps a more pressing question for fans who are being asked to renew season tickets at higher prices in March and April is to ask is:

Where has the money gone?

They'd have every right to given the clubs description of the economics and whilst staring down the barrel of a possible relegation which in theory means next season a higher price for an inferior footballing product.

The financial cost of relegation on 18:25 - Dec 31 with 2583 viewsrkershaw

The financial cost of relegation on 18:12 - Dec 31 by RAFCBLUE

I couldn't disagree more that there is any more pressing matter at a professional football club than continually improving the value, quality and depth of its playing squad.

The reason we currently are 23rd in League One and six points from safety (albeit with a game in hand on some teams above us) is due to the players we have and the performances they have put in, isn't it?

If we go out and identify, attract and sign a player in this transfer window who contributes to winning a football game on a repeated basis, I'll bet they won't be here long. We can do that within our means without spending silly money, but we do have to make an investment.

Take Scott Hogan.

33 league games he lasted here scoring 17 league goals in 14 months following his return.

That scouting and investment helped us gain promotion and netted £750,000 for the club from an initial outlay of zero which covered Hogan's wages and much more besides. With the hope of add-ons!

Brentford's initial investment was repaid 12 times over - covering his wages, treatment for two knee injuries and our fee meaning his 21 goals and 33 appearances there cost them nothing.

Ollie Watkins (7 goals this season) and Neal Maupay (5 goals this season) are contributing and they can have Luke Daniels as a spare keeper! Those six players will be worth more than Brentford paid for them and much more than the £750k cost of Hogan.

We also invested some of the Hogan money in Mark Kitching from Middlesborough. One in, one out. Did we look at Ollie Watkins who was in League 2 at the time? No chance.

We don't exist for any other reason than being a shop window for talent to improve itself and cash in. It's a mutually beneficial relationship for the player, our manager and club.

If we stop this behaviour the economics and demographics of our situation dictate a swift and progressive slide down the football pyramid.

The game now is about buying, then developing and sell players for a cash-rich Premier League and associated former Premier League Championship clubs.

There is no prize money for winning league 1 or 2. There is an annual £1.3m in TV and payment solidarity payments for League One and £0.9m for League 2.

Take the money received from Done (to Sheff United), Hogan (to Brentford), Conor Ronan (to Wolves), Allen (to Burton) - I'd conservatively estimate that as being £3m up front plus add-ons (for all four players) and possibly nearer £5m overall since Summer 2014 - with potential to grow!

Perhaps a more pressing question for fans who are being asked to renew season tickets at higher prices in March and April is to ask is:

They'd have every right to given the clubs description of the economics and whilst staring down the barrel of a possible relegation which in theory means next season a higher price for an inferior footballing product.

Realise the importance of a long term plan like the one we've seemingly adhered to over recent times. But, surely now is the time to adopt a short term deviation so that we can possibly build and go again in League One come the end of this season!! 😉
The financial cost of relegation on 18:27 - Dec 31 with 2578 viewskiwidale

The financial cost of relegation on 18:07 - Dec 31 by rkershaw

We need a short term solution to see us over the relegation line come the end of April ......, 3/4 players who've been around the block and have the know how to get us out of this mess....... Mr Clarke at the back would be a good start!! ;)

That's exactly the strategy employed at Gigg look how that's working out?

This is not the time for bickering.

The financial cost of relegation on 18:31 - Dec 31 with 2569 viewsTVOS1907

The financial cost of relegation on 18:12 - Dec 31 by RAFCBLUE

Take Scott Hogan.

Brentford were also able to offer those players Championship football, substantially higher wages than we could afford and the ‘benefit’ of living in London.

We are two totally different clubs.

My point about pressing matters was that focusing on our current predicament is a bit more important to me this weekend.

The financial cost of relegation on 18:45 - Dec 31 with 2537 viewsrkershaw

The financial cost of relegation on 18:31 - Dec 31 by TVOS1907

Brentford were also able to offer those players Championship football, substantially higher wages than we could afford and the ‘benefit’ of living in London.

We are two totally different clubs.

My point about pressing matters was that focusing on our current predicament is a bit more important to me this weekend.

I'm not saying that we should go down the Bury way...... the exact opposite in fact! All that I'm trying to insinuate is the importance of acting immediately .....not going above and beyond but for the short term and then rebuilding!!
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 18:50]
The financial cost of relegation on 19:01 - Dec 31 with 2508 viewsTVOS1907

The financial cost of relegation on 18:45 - Dec 31 by rkershaw

I'm not saying that we should go down the Bury way...... the exact opposite in fact! All that I'm trying to insinuate is the importance of acting immediately .....not going above and beyond but for the short term and then rebuilding!!
[Post edited 31 Dec 2017 18:50]

I agree.

The financial cost of relegation on 20:31 - Dec 31 with 2425 viewsYouTubeDale

We can only go off the latest accounts which are year ending 31st May 2016, so things could have got better or worse up to May 2017 and to date...

Picking out the big figures...

League and FA pool receipt £1087k
Gate receipts £842k
Youth development grant £283k
Total £2212k

Player wages and soc. security costs £1859k
Coaching staff and youth team wages £503k
Total £2362k

So you can see we are already overspending. Player wages are high. Are we getting value for money ?????

If you add office and marketing costs including soc.secuity costs £267k and travel/accommodation £183k then we are really struggling and relying on the sale of player money. I know there are other incomes and expenses but like I said earlier, these are the big numbers.

This underlines how important it is to stay in this league.

When Ollie passed that ball in front of the Doncaster goal, it was imperative that our fox in the box put his toe onto it and smashed it into the net. It didn’t happen. Oh,wait a minute, perhaps this isn’t coached into the players or our players aren’t doing their jobs and there is a need for change.

We had £620k in the bank, May 2016. How much now with Allen money added, but lots of expenses taken out ???

Over to you Keith...Good luck for 2018.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The financial cost of relegation on 20:35 - Dec 31 with 2420 viewsShun

The financial cost of relegation on 17:32 - Dec 31 by rkershaw

None of us had even heard of Matheson before that article the other day!
The financial cost of relegation on 20:38 - Dec 31 with 2416 views442Dale

The financial cost of relegation on 20:31 - Dec 31 by YouTubeDale

We can only go off the latest accounts which are year ending 31st May 2016, so things could have got better or worse up to May 2017 and to date...

Gate receipts £842k
Total £2212k

Total £2362k

So you can see we are already overspending. Player wages are high. Are we getting value for money ?????

If you add office and marketing costs including soc.secuity costs £267k and travel/accommodation £183k then we are really struggling and relying on the sale of player money. I know there are other incomes and expenses but like I said earlier, these are the big numbers.

When Ollie passed that ball in front of the Doncaster goal, it was imperative that our fox in the box put his toe onto it and smashed it into the net. It didn’t happen. Oh,wait a minute, perhaps this isn’t coached into the players or our players aren’t doing their jobs and there is a need for change.

We had £620k in the bank, May 2016. How much now with Allen money added, but lots of expenses taken out ???

And the money from Hogan going to Villa.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The financial cost of relegation on 21:16 - Dec 31 with 2366 viewsrochdaleriddler

Game in hand is against Wigan , just saying. Also on average that will be worth less than a point, also after last two games our goal difference is on a par with those above us

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

The financial cost of relegation on 21:36 - Dec 31 with 2349 viewsCleedale

The financial cost of relegation on 20:31 - Dec 31 by YouTubeDale

Gate receipts £842k
Total £2212k

Total £2362k

Stark facts there YouTubeDale.

So basically the Club needs income around the £3M mark just to be breaking even and these figures are not last seasons but for 2015/16 and guess it's pretty certain that this year's even heavier. WOWZA!!

And a quick calc. on player wages and a very rough 25-man squad and we're looking at about £1,500/week/player. Obviously some on more and others on less.

Doesn't bear thinking about what wages some clubs in Div 1 might be paying but guess we must be somewhere near the bottom.

A very hard equation for all at Dale to fathom out and despite the Premiership handouts etc., what's going on there (with wages etc) is seriously stiffling the ability of a club like Rochdale to even hold it's own in the present state.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024