Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Today I learned 15:49 - May 12 with 6947 viewsmeeee

That Halfiax and Rochdale used to be rivals. I was on Halifax Town's wikipedia page and there was a section called rivalries. I was surprised to see that it had Rochdale listed as a rival. I decided to do a bit of research and stumbled upon an a thread over on the Halifax Town forum from 2014 that asked who are your top 3 rivals. There was about 25ish responses and I'd say about 70 percent of them had Rochdale in their list although they did acknowledge that we've got bigger fish to fry now. I've supported Rochdale for 15 years and I don't ever remember anyone mentioning Halifax as a rival. The only rivalries I've known about are Bury, Stockport, Oldham and Notts County for that one season. So what were the matches with Halifax like? Was this the main rivalry back in the day? Also do those of you who supported Rochdale around that time still dislike Halifax today?
[Post edited 12 May 2018 15:50]
Today I learned on 16:05 - May 12 with 6895 viewsD_Alien

Dislike & rivalry aren't the same thing

In the days when we had few close rivals on this side of the Pennines, Halifax was geographically the closest team and the Lancs/Yorks aspect gave the games that extra bit of spice. We didn't play Bury until after we were promoted, and i don't recall us playing Latics in a league fixture from the mid-60s when i started watching for quite a while

We both went up in 68/69 but the two games towards the end of the season were iconic - still among the best i've ever been to, for different reasons

I guess we saw each other as pretty much on a level with each other; both mill towns with similar demographics. Don't recall any real dislike as such
[Post edited 12 May 2018 16:06]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Today I learned on 16:32 - May 12 with 6832 viewsmeeee

Today I learned on 16:05 - May 12 by D_Alien

Dislike & rivalry aren't the same thing

In the days when we had few close rivals on this side of the Pennines, Halifax was geographically the closest team and the Lancs/Yorks aspect gave the games that extra bit of spice. We didn't play Bury until after we were promoted, and i don't recall us playing Latics in a league fixture from the mid-60s when i started watching for quite a while

We both went up in 68/69 but the two games towards the end of the season were iconic - still among the best i've ever been to, for different reasons

I guess we saw each other as pretty much on a level with each other; both mill towns with similar demographics. Don't recall any real dislike as such
[Post edited 12 May 2018 16:06]

Thanks for the response. There definitely seemed to be some dislike from Halifax fans towards Rochdale. In my research I came across a video of their chant "I am a shayman fan" where they claim they want to destroy Burnley and Dale
Today I learned on 16:59 - May 12 with 6770 viewsD_Dale

How could we hate them when their Chartist forebears met with ours?

https://radicalmanchester.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/ernest-jones-and-the-1846-cha

http://blackstoneedgegathering.org.uk/?page_id=12
Today I learned on 17:08 - May 12 with 6742 views1mark1

Today I learned on 16:59 - May 12 by D_Dale

https://radicalmanchester.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/ernest-jones-and-the-1846-cha

It was a good rivalry between us and Halifax, a good old battle of the Roses. I certainly enjoyed those games better than the ones with Bury and Oldham, as there was less bother in my opinion, but just a good old feisty rivalry. I miss Halifax.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Today I learned on 17:40 - May 12 with 6667 viewsmeeee

Another video that I stumbled upon was this bizarre news segment. Does anyone remember this incident between Desmond Dragon and Halifax's Freddy the Fox? I'm surprised I've never heard of it
Today I learned on 17:48 - May 12 with 6641 views1mark1

Today I learned on 17:40 - May 12 by meeee

Another video that I stumbled upon was this bizarre news segment. Does anyone remember this incident between Desmond Dragon and Halifax's Freddy the Fox? I'm surprised I've never heard of it

Great memories.😀If that had been the Bury mascot, they would have thrown batteries and golf balls at Desmond. Desmond has been naughty a few times over his career, bit of a lovable rogue really.

Today I learned on 18:21 - May 12 with 6578 viewsMIlnrowdale

As a kid watching the Dale there was always Halifax Stockport and Burnley hardly any of your bury or Oldham
Today I learned on 18:27 - May 12 with 6560 viewsSaxonDale

I miss the green Desmond.
Login to get fewer ads

Today I learned on 18:35 - May 12 with 6538 views1mark1

Today I learned on 18:21 - May 12 by MIlnrowdale

As a kid watching the Dale there was always Halifax Stockport and Burnley hardly any of your bury or Oldham

Yes great rivalries, really enjoyed those times. Now Burnley are going into Europe and Stockport and Halifax are down in their respective leagues.

Today I learned on 09:34 - May 13 with 6125 viewstony_roch975

Today I learned on 16:59 - May 12 by D_Dale

and the gathering is commemorated with the singing of Chartist songs every 1st Sunday in May - http://blackstoneedgegathering.org.uk

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Today I learned on 11:53 - May 13 with 5967 viewsDaley_Lama

Today I learnt that Port Vale fan(s) paid for a plane trailling a banner saying ‘She Stood There Laughing PVFC’ to fly round Stoke and particularly Stoke’s Ground yesterday to celebrate their relegation.

Not only were Stoke not playing yesterday, their final game is away to Swansea.

I suspect afternoon shoppers were not the intended target.

Poll: DF in or out

Today I learned on 23:40 - May 13 with 5695 viewsDiddyDave

My memories of back in the fifties and sixties,Dale`s biggest rivals were Stockport County followed closely by Accrington Stanley (before they went broke in 1961/62),Oldham Athletic,and yes,Halifax Town. We hardly ever played Bury as they were always in Divisions 2 and 3,though I do recall us playing a 1-1 draw in front of 18,000 at Spotland,only to get flogged 6-1 later in the season at Gigg Lane. Burnley were a top First Division side then,so no rivalry with them that I can recall.
Today I learned on 16:48 - May 14 with 5396 viewsbornosdale

I remember going to the Shay in the sixties. The corners of the pitch were on railway sleepers so they could remove them to accommodate the speedway!
Today I learned on 17:06 - May 14 with 5368 viewsEllDale

I agree that Halifax were traditional rivals in the 1960's and 1970's when I was growing up.
The Shay is a much different place now though!
The rivalry with Bury is very much a product of the last 20 years or so.
Today I learned on 17:18 - May 14 with 5354 viewsmingthemerciless

Today I learned on 16:48 - May 14 by bornosdale

I remember going to the Shay in the sixties. The corners of the pitch were on railway sleepers so they could remove them to accommodate the speedway!

To take a corner there ideally you needed one leg shorter than the other !
Today I learned on 18:13 - May 14 with 5295 viewsColDale

Halifax seem to perennially look to us with a mixture of respect and resentment (much of which is aimed at their own club). They rightly look upon us as a peer and a rival of old, but they are fully aware of the gap between the two sides, and see us as what might have been had they not been so mismanaged over the years.
Today I learned on 06:29 - May 15 with 5089 viewsanotherbiffo

Do Dale not have the dubious distinction of having an entire contingent of fans arrested off the train to Halifax, back in the day (circa 1980)? Or am I dreaming...
Today I learned on 06:40 - May 15 with 5080 viewskiwidale

Today I learned on 06:29 - May 15 by anotherbiffo

Do Dale not have the dubious distinction of having an entire contingent of fans arrested off the train to Halifax, back in the day (circa 1980)? Or am I dreaming...

Back in the eighties the police should have arrested the team and manager... what a shower of shit.

This is not the time for bickering.

Today I learned on 14:03 - May 16 with 4858 viewsVespaDale

Today I learned on 06:29 - May 15 by anotherbiffo

There was 1 almighty scrap on the train station around then. Dale Halifax Leeds & I Think Liverpool fans all bumped into each other. I know a few got time for the altercation (family members included). We on the other hand have had a few nights on the cold floors of the cells there... They don't like us them yorkie coppers
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024