Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April 14:36 - Feb 22 with 11629 viewsYouTubeDale

Rochdale Council have decided to close the course as they are unwilling to support it further financially. There have been several groups come forward with full business plans which demonstrated the course could be run without council subsidy. Why can’t the council take up one of these options?

Childhood and adult obesity are issues facing the public of Rochdale and having such a facility helps in this regard. I believe having a game of golf is also good for the mind and therefore mental health. It brings people together, especially older males who tend to suffer from lack of social interaction. But the council is still pushing ahead with the closure.

Madness.

If you would like to complain to the council you can email:

feedback.council@rochdale.gov.uk

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 15:04 - Feb 22 with 8656 viewsdawlishdale

Awfully sad from the Council. Shame on them.
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 15:56 - Feb 22 with 8592 viewsrochdaleriddler

SMacks of land earmarked for housing

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:16 - Feb 22 with 8553 viewsdeeplishblue

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/125957/plan-to-s

Above link mainly gives the POV of the 2 guys who put forward a plan to keep the course open.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 18:27 - Feb 22 with 8432 viewsoff2div1

What about training facilities for Rochdale Afc
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 09:48 - Feb 23 with 8187 viewsYouTubeDale

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 18:27 - Feb 22 by off2div1

What about training facilities for Rochdale Afc

That has passed my mind many times. Assuming the main building was used where would the gymnastics club and gym members go?

Could they facilitate a golf club at the same time?

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 10:56 - Feb 23 with 8118 viewsNafelad

Can't see how golf would be the right sort of training for our players - suppose it's 'par for the course', where Rochdale's concerned.

Topcat

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 11:23 - Feb 23 with 8087 viewsD_Alien

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 10:56 - Feb 23 by Nafelad

Can't see how golf would be the right sort of training for our players - suppose it's 'par for the course', where Rochdale's concerned.

It could work? Shouting "Get in the hole!" might lead to more of Calvin's headers being picked up?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:35 - Feb 23 with 8007 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 11:23 - Feb 23 by D_Alien

It could work? Shouting "Get in the hole!" might lead to more of Calvin's headers being picked up?

It may also encourage other club employees when playing away

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:37 - Feb 23 with 8001 viewsD_Alien

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:35 - Feb 23 by judd

I get the link

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:39 - Feb 23 with 7994 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:37 - Feb 23 by D_Alien

I get the link

Fore play to you

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:06 - Feb 23 with 7964 viewsSandyman

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:35 - Feb 23 by judd

That birdie could become an albatross round the neck
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:08 - Feb 23 with 7961 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:06 - Feb 23 by Sandyman

That birdie could become an albatross round the neck

Depends on the wood

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:33 - Feb 23 with 7918 viewsSandyman

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:08 - Feb 23 by judd

Depends on the wood

Oh the iron-y
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:58 - Feb 23 with 7776 viewsKenBoon

Great word association banter, lads. On the actual subject of discussion, will the council be made to explain why they're ignoring firm plans to keep it open without council tax payers money?
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:59 - Feb 23 with 7769 viewsD_Alien

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:58 - Feb 23 by KenBoon

Great word association banter, lads. On the actual subject of discussion, will the council be made to explain why they're ignoring firm plans to keep it open without council tax payers money?

Fair point, but no good asking us; why don't you ask the council?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 17:32 - Feb 23 with 7704 views49thseason

The decision to close it was made by Alan Brett and a small number of his gang. Its alleged that after the meeting on councillor said she didn't really understand that the council would be better off by £50k and thought that she thought the council was still expected to put money into the course. There is pressure on Brett to revisit the decision but since he apparently said that he "didnt see why the council should be subsidising rich golfers". Its likely not to be changed. this is a simple case of the politics of envy and nothing to do with finances. Brett hates Norden and Bamford and their councillors and will do anything to upset them .. All very reminiscent of the potholes comments that landed him in trouble.
Strange that RMBC has just spent £40k refurbishing the toilets in the old barn for the use of golfers... Obviously, the left hand doesn't know what the other left hands are doing!
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 10:47 - Feb 25 with 7420 viewsDaleView

As suggested, I have sent an e-mail to the Council on this subject. Read it below.

It is sad that the Rochdale Council has decided to close the Marland Golf Course notwithstanding an offer and a businenss plan being submitted and rejected on grounds that the Council would still be subsidising the facility. The business plan submitted shows that there would be no calls on the public purse so how can the Council's decision to close the facility be justified? Is it possible for any member of the public to examine the finacial accounts of the Council insofar as this affects the Marland Golf Course? I am aware of the opportunity for members of the public to examine the accounts of the Council prior to the annual Distrct Audit but that might be too late to enable anyone to influence the present decision. So is the Council willing to publish the financial results of the last couple of years in order to justfy their decision?

I must add, however, that utterances of "not subsidising the rich golfers" in this context is way off target. The folks that use Marland Golf course are predominantly the folk who either can't afford the Rochdale Golf Club's subscriptions or do not have an official golfing handicap or do not wish to play regularly enough to justify such subscriptions. If the Council needs evidence of whether the Marland Golf Course could be run without public subsidy, one only needs to look as far as the Castle Hawk Course in Castleton which will illustrate the weakness of the Council's decision to close Marland Golf Course.

The Council's decision needs to be reversed.
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:13 - Feb 25 with 7346 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 10:47 - Feb 25 by DaleView

As suggested, I have sent an e-mail to the Council on this subject. Read it below.

It is sad that the Rochdale Council has decided to close the Marland Golf Course notwithstanding an offer and a businenss plan being submitted and rejected on grounds that the Council would still be subsidising the facility. The business plan submitted shows that there would be no calls on the public purse so how can the Council's decision to close the facility be justified? Is it possible for any member of the public to examine the finacial accounts of the Council insofar as this affects the Marland Golf Course? I am aware of the opportunity for members of the public to examine the accounts of the Council prior to the annual Distrct Audit but that might be too late to enable anyone to influence the present decision. So is the Council willing to publish the financial results of the last couple of years in order to justfy their decision?

I must add, however, that utterances of "not subsidising the rich golfers" in this context is way off target. The folks that use Marland Golf course are predominantly the folk who either can't afford the Rochdale Golf Club's subscriptions or do not have an official golfing handicap or do not wish to play regularly enough to justify such subscriptions. If the Council needs evidence of whether the Marland Golf Course could be run without public subsidy, one only needs to look as far as the Castle Hawk Course in Castleton which will illustrate the weakness of the Council's decision to close Marland Golf Course.

The Council's decision needs to be reversed.

I'm at a meeting with the Council Chief Executive and RDA this week concerning other matters, but will try and see if this can be raised.

(This is NOT a narcissistic diary entry)

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:30 - Feb 25 with 7308 viewsEllDale

I haven't been to Springy Park for years.
Is the athletics track still there?
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:34 - Feb 25 with 7289 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:30 - Feb 25 by EllDale

I haven't been to Springy Park for years.
Is the athletics track still there?

It's not in a good state.

Football pitch in the middle is used.

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:01 - Feb 25 with 7239 views49thseason

Excuse me, the running track has been extensively renovated and is in excellent condition with over 300 tons of new surface added to it.
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:03 - Feb 25 with 7236 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:01 - Feb 25 by 49thseason

Excuse me, the running track has been extensively renovated and is in excellent condition with over 300 tons of new surface added to it.

Apologies, not been up since last summer, when it appeared to be weed-ridden.

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:10 - Feb 25 with 7213 viewsD_Alien

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:03 - Feb 25 by judd

Apologies, not been up since last summer, when it appeared to be weed-ridden.

I hope that's not a sleight on Rochdale Harriers?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:38 - Feb 25 with 7145 viewsdeeplishblue

Some good news on the Council front though, they have managed to secure 16m of funding to tart up the town hall.

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/126279/architect

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 19:06 - Feb 25 with 7002 viewskiwidale

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 13:38 - Feb 25 by deeplishblue

Some good news on the Council front though, they have managed to secure 16m of funding to tart up the town hall.

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/126279/architect

By eck! they've got some consultants on the job already and they wont come cheap, might be a few bob left to upgrade the staff carparks. No mention of a chippy or owt.

This is not the time for bickering.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024