Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April 14:36 - Feb 22 with 11845 viewsYouTubeDale

Rochdale Council have decided to close the course as they are unwilling to support it further financially. There have been several groups come forward with full business plans which demonstrated the course could be run without council subsidy. Why can’t the council take up one of these options?

Childhood and adult obesity are issues facing the public of Rochdale and having such a facility helps in this regard. I believe having a game of golf is also good for the mind and therefore mental health. It brings people together, especially older males who tend to suffer from lack of social interaction. But the council is still pushing ahead with the closure.

Madness.

If you would like to complain to the council you can email:

feedback.council@rochdale.gov.uk

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 20:05 - Feb 25 with 2980 viewsbillbo

Announced an hour ago on twitter Marland golf course to remain open.
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 20:20 - Feb 25 with 2941 viewsjudd

It would appear a couple of guys have had their business plan accepted, according to Facebook

Poll: What is it to be then?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 20:33 - Feb 25 with 2903 viewsYouTubeDale

Fantastic news.

A triumph for common sense, a triumph for the people of Rochdale.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 20:37 - Feb 25 with 2895 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 12:13 - Feb 25 by judd

I'm at a meeting with the Council Chief Executive and RDA this week concerning other matters, but will try and see if this can be raised.

(This is NOT a narcissistic diary entry)

Given the good news about the course remaining open I can spend more time on other pressing matters. Like, erm, what, I wonder..?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 22:24 - Feb 25 with 2777 viewsShun

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 20:05 - Feb 25 by billbo

Announced an hour ago on twitter Marland golf course to remain open.

Would you be able to post a link please? I can’t find anything.
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 22:27 - Feb 25 with 2771 viewsjudd

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 22:24 - Feb 25 by Shun

Would you be able to post a link please? I can’t find anything.

Sorry Shun but it's not a links course

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 22:59 - Feb 25 with 2732 viewsDaleiLama

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 22:27 - Feb 25 by judd

Sorry Shun but it's not a links course

That was so funny I had to log in just to vote it up!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 15:45 - Feb 26 with 2483 views49thseason

Has anyone found more info on this yet?
Login to get fewer ads

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:29 - Feb 26 with 2437 viewsnordenblue

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 15:45 - Feb 26 by 49thseason

Has anyone found more info on this yet?

Andrew Terry is the joint company thats put together a rescue plan with Joe Jackson, if you search twitter for Andrew Terry all the details are there
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 19:58 - Feb 26 with 2349 views49thseason

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:29 - Feb 26 by nordenblue

Andrew Terry is the joint company thats put together a rescue plan with Joe Jackson, if you search twitter for Andrew Terry all the details are there

Thanks, I thought perhaps RMBC might have to good grace to announce something.. apparently not (yet).
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 20:38 - Feb 26 with 2315 viewsDaleiLama

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:29 - Feb 26 by nordenblue

In that case it's a dead cert to be reported in the Sunday papers.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 22:57 - Feb 26 with 2232 viewsMorden

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 20:38 - Feb 26 by DaleiLama

In that case it's a dead cert to be reported in the Sunday papers.

something something something better look sharp
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 15:39 - Mar 1 with 1976 viewsD_Alien

https://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/126338/future-of

If previous posts in this thread are correct, then this is just a means of controlling the news agenda, not wishing to be seen to climb down from the knee-jerk reaction to the proposal to run the course without Council funding. Or is it?

And how long have the puffed-up councillors been holding what they call "cabinet" meetings? Not heard it called this before - just who are they trying to kid, apart from themselves?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:03 - Mar 1 with 1936 viewsEllDale

I think from memory that the cabinet system of local government was introduced when David Cameron was PM.

Five councillors in each borough are elected internally to a "cabinet" which makes most of the major decisions and then refers them by the council as a whole for ratification. They are the main power brokers these days.

This system replaced in large measure the old, unwieldy, committee system.
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:10 - Mar 1 with 1925 viewsD_Alien

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:03 - Mar 1 by EllDale

I think from memory that the cabinet system of local government was introduced when David Cameron was PM.

Five councillors in each borough are elected internally to a "cabinet" which makes most of the major decisions and then refers them by the council as a whole for ratification. They are the main power brokers these days.

Thanks EllDale

It's a long time since i took much interest in the machinery of local government

As far as you know, does the election of councillors to the cabinet run along party lines (i.e. reflecting the numbers for each party)?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:18 - Mar 1 with 1898 viewstony_roch975

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:03 - Mar 1 by EllDale

Not under Cameron - it was dear Mr Blair's initiative (2000 Act) and included the elected mayor option. It was claimed to be more efficient & 'professional' but it also vastly reduced the impact of 'back-bench' councillors and encouraged autocratic governance. The 2011 Act allows a return to committee style governance.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:23 - Mar 1 with 1888 viewsEllDale

Dear me, I didn't realise that it was so long ago!

The dominant party on the council tends to fill the majority of the five places available to reflect their percentage of councillors.
Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:35 - Mar 1 with 1880 viewstony_roch975

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 16:10 - Mar 1 by D_Alien

Thanks EllDale

It's a long time since i took much interest in the machinery of local government

As far as you know, does the election of councillors to the cabinet run along party lines (i.e. reflecting the numbers for each party)?

A local government Cabinet (like in Westminster) comprises members of the majority (governing) party, each having responsibility for one area of Council policy. Dangerously extreme, radical ideas like having representation which reflects votes cast would mean replacing first-past-the-post with PR.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Marland Golf Course to close on 1st April on 22:12 - Mar 1 with 1752 viewsforeverhopefulDale

http://democracy.rochdale.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=116

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024