Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
incoming? 11:56 - Jan 6 with 1766 viewssaint22

this week maybe?
We are a week in now and its not like we dont know what we need
incoming? on 12:06 - Jan 6 with 1264 viewsSonicBoom

I find it amusing that the fanbase was up in arms about our crappy defence for years, then we win a few games and suddenly everything is ok and we can wait til the summer.
Winning a few games was great - and not least because if you are considering coming here, then you'll be a lot keener if you look at the table and see us in 12th than if we are in the bottom 3.
We still need a commanding centre back that will organise that back line. Anything else is a bonus but we need to fill that role.
incoming? (n/t) on 12:25 - Jan 6 with 1236 viewsDellHero

incoming? on 12:06 - Jan 6 by SonicBoom

I find it amusing that the fanbase was up in arms about our crappy defence for years, then we win a few games and suddenly everything is ok and we can wait til the summer.
Winning a few games was great - and not least because if you are considering coming here, then you'll be a lot keener if you look at the table and see us in 12th than if we are in the bottom 3.
We still need a commanding centre back that will organise that back line. Anything else is a bonus but we need to fill that role.

[Post edited 24 Feb 2020 22:56]
incoming? on 12:39 - Jan 6 with 1209 viewsButty101

incoming? (n/t) on 12:25 - Jan 6 by DellHero

We have already missed out on Jack Rodwell FFS. If he is good enough for Sheff Utd...

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

incoming? on 12:51 - Jan 6 with 1184 viewsA1079

Exactly Sonic. I fear that as much as picking up those points were a boost to the team and fans, I fear that it may have been a signal to our senior management team that we can hold out. Our next games against Leicester, Wolves and Liverpool are unlikely to yield many points, so we are a long way from being safe. That said, I am not a great fan of the January window as all too often it leads to expensive panic buys but to go window after window without strengthening our back line is complacency in the extreme.
incoming? on 12:52 - Jan 6 with 1184 viewssaint22

hence my question, so is anyone seriously ITK?

We need two CBs I would say, plus a solid DM
incoming? on 12:54 - Jan 6 with 1178 viewsA1079

incoming? on 12:52 - Jan 6 by saint22

hence my question, so is anyone seriously ITK?

We need two CBs I would say, plus a solid DM

I am definitely not ITK Saint 22 and if I am honest, I am not expecting this window to bear much fruit, if anything at all, but I suspect that whatever activity does take place will likely be in the closing days, hours, minutes of the window.
incoming? on 12:59 - Jan 6 with 1169 viewsBicester_North

Who are these fans that suddenly think our defence is ok? I can’t think of anyone I know that seriously thinks that. In addition to the positions mentioned we could do with a back up for Bertrand as well unless Ralph thinks Vokins is up to it.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

incoming? on 13:25 - Jan 6 with 1122 viewsSonicBoom

I was basing that comment on stuff I've sen on twitter. Jack Stephens seems to be getting loads of sunshine blown up his arse now and has really "stepped up". There were comments that Ralph has sorted the defence. I know it's twitter but I was surprised at how the tide seems to have turned.
Personally I have no faith in in any CB pairing. Even against Spurs there were moments where Bednarek and/or Stephens launched themselves at balls in the box and missed it totally. They look solid for a while then suddenly panic sets in and they are falling over each other to hoof it anywhere. Several times we escaped against Spurs by pure luck.
For me I'd want in this order...
1. A decent CB. Not another kid with promise.
2. An attacking centre mid who can move the ball quickly between defence and attack.
3. Left and/or right back - either as cover or replacements.

RH said a while back he expects to bring players in so I guess we have been working on things for a while now.
Login to get fewer ads

incoming? on 13:29 - Jan 6 with 1117 viewsBicester_North

incoming? on 13:25 - Jan 6 by SonicBoom

I was basing that comment on stuff I've sen on twitter. Jack Stephens seems to be getting loads of sunshine blown up his arse now and has really "stepped up". There were comments that Ralph has sorted the defence. I know it's twitter but I was surprised at how the tide seems to have turned.
Personally I have no faith in in any CB pairing. Even against Spurs there were moments where Bednarek and/or Stephens launched themselves at balls in the box and missed it totally. They look solid for a while then suddenly panic sets in and they are falling over each other to hoof it anywhere. Several times we escaped against Spurs by pure luck.
For me I'd want in this order...
1. A decent CB. Not another kid with promise.
2. An attacking centre mid who can move the ball quickly between defence and attack.
3. Left and/or right back - either as cover or replacements.

RH said a while back he expects to bring players in so I guess we have been working on things for a while now.

Agree with all that but also would want to get shot of Vestergaard and cancel Danso’s loan if we’re never going to play him central.

incoming? on 13:59 - Jan 6 with 1082 viewsDorsetIan

Defenders always make 'mistakes'. There'd be very few goals if they didn't.

Throughout the entire period when our defence had looked seriously flaky, Bednarek has been the one who's looked most solid.

Stephens performed really well when Van Dijk was injured and he is performing well again now.

The other two defenders are internationals.

This back 4 is not perfect but it seems to be good enough at the moment.

We do need cover though because Danso, Valery and Westergaard can't be trusted (yet).

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

incoming? on 14:16 - Jan 6 with 1050 viewsSonicBoom

incoming? on 12:59 - Jan 6 by Bicester_North

Who are these fans that suddenly think our defence is ok? I can’t think of anyone I know that seriously thinks that. In addition to the positions mentioned we could do with a back up for Bertrand as well unless Ralph thinks Vokins is up to it.

You asked who are the fans that think the defence is suddenly OK....

Well DorsetIan is apparently one of them.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 14:17]
incoming? on 14:39 - Jan 6 with 1014 viewsDorsetIan

incoming? on 14:16 - Jan 6 by SonicBoom

You asked who are the fans that think the defence is suddenly OK....

Well DorsetIan is apparently one of them.
[Post edited 6 Jan 2020 14:17]

3 goals conceded in the last 5 prem games is good enough for me...

...but perhaps we would all do well to reserve judgement until after next weekend's game at Leicester...

incoming? on 14:40 - Jan 6 with 1012 viewssaint22

incoming? on 13:59 - Jan 6 by DorsetIan

Defenders always make 'mistakes'. There'd be very few goals if they didn't.

Throughout the entire period when our defence had looked seriously flaky, Bednarek has been the one who's looked most solid.

Stephens performed really well when Van Dijk was injured and he is performing well again now.

The other two defenders are internationals.

This back 4 is not perfect but it seems to be good enough at the moment.

We do need cover though because Danso, Valery and Westergaard can't be trusted (yet).

I often agree with what you post but not this time

Bednarek is solid but not brilliant
Stephens is much the same but as he showed last season can be awful
Yoshida is a squad player
Danso seems unable to play centre back so fork knows why we signed him
Vestergaard is too slow
Valery was POTY last year, you don't suddenly become sh1te

We need two decent CBs as we have done for 2/3 windows now
incoming? on 15:20 - Jan 6 with 949 viewssaint68

The title of the thread made me assume this was a post from 22 in Tehran.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

incoming? on 15:32 - Jan 6 with 933 viewsDorsetIan

incoming? on 14:40 - Jan 6 by saint22

I often agree with what you post but not this time

Bednarek is solid but not brilliant
Stephens is much the same but as he showed last season can be awful
Yoshida is a squad player
Danso seems unable to play centre back so fork knows why we signed him
Vestergaard is too slow
Valery was POTY last year, you don't suddenly become sh1te

We need two decent CBs as we have done for 2/3 windows now

And I don't disagree with any of your individual assessments apart from Valerie, who I think is great going forward but not great as a right back.

I was just looking quickly at how many goals a team in the prem might expect to concede per game. Last season the top 6 conceded a total of 228 goals in, coincidentally, 228 games, so an av of 1 per game. The bottom 6 conceded 419/228 (1.84) and across the league as a whole it was 1072/760 (1.41).

So 3 goals conceded in 5 games is very good indeed. And in the eleven games since the Leicester 0-9 we have conceded only 13 goals (1.18) which is nearly top 6 form.

incoming? (n/t) on 15:39 - Jan 6 with 915 viewsDellHero

incoming? on 15:20 - Jan 6 by saint68

The title of the thread made me assume this was a post from 22 in Tehran.

incoming? on 15:39 - Jan 6 with 911 viewsNumber_58

If you take away the 9 goal debacle against Leicester our goal difference actually isn't too bad compared to the rest of the teams around and below us. In fact, we'd have conceded less than Spurs and the same as Chelsea, so maybe we're not as bad as some people think. There's a lot of shaky defences around at the moment; perhaps it's the way football's going what with teams pressing more and most sides having really decent forwards capable of exploiting the slightest of errors.
incoming? on 15:56 - Jan 6 with 877 viewsthis_charming_man

incoming? on 15:39 - Jan 6 by Number_58

If you take away the 9 goal debacle against Leicester our goal difference actually isn't too bad compared to the rest of the teams around and below us. In fact, we'd have conceded less than Spurs and the same as Chelsea, so maybe we're not as bad as some people think. There's a lot of shaky defences around at the moment; perhaps it's the way football's going what with teams pressing more and most sides having really decent forwards capable of exploiting the slightest of errors.

Plus football is almost a non contact sport these days, a good old fashioned tackle will get a player booked or even sent off these days. It's hard for defenders as apart from 22s kids most people want to see attacking, high energy football.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

incoming? on 16:17 - Jan 6 with 846 viewssaint22

incoming? on 15:56 - Jan 6 by this_charming_man

Plus football is almost a non contact sport these days, a good old fashioned tackle will get a player booked or even sent off these days. It's hard for defenders as apart from 22s kids most people want to see attacking, high energy football.

school just finished has it?
incoming? on 16:20 - Jan 6 with 844 viewsthis_charming_man

incoming? on 16:17 - Jan 6 by saint22

school just finished has it?

still in Mauritius pal?

incoming? on 17:08 - Jan 6 with 780 viewssaint22

incoming? on 16:20 - Jan 6 by this_charming_man

still in Mauritius pal?

Nope back yesterday and it wasn't Mauritius pal
incoming? on 17:12 - Jan 6 with 769 viewsBicester_North

It’s the way we’ve conceded a lot of the goals though, opposition players often completely unmarked, not closed down, individual errors. And we’ve got away with quite a few as well. I’ll be delighted if Stephens after years of being not up to it is suddenly a solid, consistent defender but it would be a shock. Bednarek is alright but would surely benefit from playing next to a more commanding, organising, leader type. But who like that is available and affordable in January, f*ck knows.

incoming? on 17:21 - Jan 6 with 753 viewskernow

Anyone any good is already working.
incoming? on 17:22 - Jan 6 with 746 viewsthis_charming_man

incoming? on 17:12 - Jan 6 by Bicester_North

It’s the way we’ve conceded a lot of the goals though, opposition players often completely unmarked, not closed down, individual errors. And we’ve got away with quite a few as well. I’ll be delighted if Stephens after years of being not up to it is suddenly a solid, consistent defender but it would be a shock. Bednarek is alright but would surely benefit from playing next to a more commanding, organising, leader type. But who like that is available and affordable in January, f*ck knows.

cant just be a coincidence that he's started to look better now we've got rid of his drinking pal Charlie Austin.

incoming? on 17:32 - Jan 6 with 723 viewssaint68

incoming? on 17:08 - Jan 6 by saint22

Nope back yesterday and it wasn't Mauritius pal

Back in time for school, top man.

You said Monday and you didn't disappoint.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024