Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimmy Greaves 23:51 - Apr 7 with 1000 viewsSaintNick

Sad news that he is in hospital, who saw him score for Saints I did.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/07/tottenham-hotspur-england-legend-jimmy-greaves-ho

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jimmy Greaves on 09:44 - Apr 8 with 880 viewsRon11

A real legend...
Jimmy Greaves on 10:14 - Apr 8 with 850 viewsGasGiant

Scored for Saints?
Jimmy Greaves on 10:38 - Apr 8 with 834 viewsdirk_doone

Jimmy Greaves on 10:14 - Apr 8 by GasGiant

Scored for Saints?

Yes, I was there too. It was right at the end of his career. He played for Saints in a friendly v Vancouver Whitecaps in March 1980, which we won 3-1. Whitecaps had Alan Ball, Kevin Hector, Trevor Whymark, Willie Johnston and Ray Lewington playing for them and, a few weeks later, they beat Manchester City 5-0.

Greaves had finally beaten his alcoholism and he never drank again. I think he wanted to see if he could give it one last go but he was too old and quite overweight although when he scored his goal, a few fans around me started saying, half-jokingly, maybe he could do a job for us. But, of course, we signed Kevin Keegan and had Steve Moran coming through.

[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 11:06]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jimmy Greaves on 10:59 - Apr 8 with 810 viewskingslandstand1

Yes I was there, although my recollection was that it was a testimonial but stand corrected, thanks Dirk. Did it not help him maintain his record of scoring on his debut for every club he played for?
Jimmy Greaves on 11:08 - Apr 8 with 807 viewsdirk_doone

Jimmy Greaves on 10:59 - Apr 8 by kingslandstand1

Yes I was there, although my recollection was that it was a testimonial but stand corrected, thanks Dirk. Did it not help him maintain his record of scoring on his debut for every club he played for?

It was billed as a mid-season, midweek friendly. Whitecaps were on a pre-season tour over here in preparation for the start of the new NASL season. It's funny how you remember small details. I was in the Lower West Stand, on the hallway line, which was not my usual position, and can remember Jimmy Greaves running out, looking quite paunchy compared to the other players.

It's a bit surprising that we managed to fit it in as we had a home league game against Villa coming up on the Saturday, which we won 2-0.

I think you're right about his goal scoring record although, personally, I only ever saw him play for Spurs, West Ham and Saints.

The first time I saw him play, he scored a penalty against us in front of 10.000 Saints fans packed into the Park Lane End.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 11:33]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jimmy Greaves on 13:03 - Apr 8 with 729 viewsNumber_58

Wasn't there an NASL-style penalty shootout at the end of the game? I'm sure I remember Channon trying it and falling over as he tried to round the keeper.
Jimmy Greaves on 12:11 - Apr 10 with 592 views1885_SFC

Leeds legend Norman Hunter, 76, is also in hospital battling the virus LUFC have confirmed.

Old School is Cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024