Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton's toughest areas / estates 19:13 - May 2 with 2923 viewsJaySaint

On from the pub thread

My view, Shirley Warren, Millbrook, Bassett and
st Marys were always sh it holes/tough areas

Mandela Way with a mention
[Post edited 2 May 2020 19:14]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 19:21 - May 2 with 2899 viewsthis_charming_man

Thornhill, lived there for a while years ago, was born and raised in townhill and thornhill definitely worse

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 19:23 - May 2 with 2898 viewsHappy_Jack

Southampton has always been a tribal city back in the 70s & 80s local feuds would always break out in the clubs and pubs of the city centre. From my era the top dogs were
Thornhill
Bassett
Millbrook

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 19:36 - May 2 with 2885 viewssolent_toffee

I’ve always found Southampton to be a strange place when it comes to rough areas/estates especially in comparison to where I grew up.

We had estates that were complete shit holes, no redeeming features, little prospects, skewed moral compass and little to no aspiration.

Here we have ‘rough’ areas but they aren’t very far from some very prosperous areas.

In short, some rough bits but generally a sound place to live.
Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 19:42 - May 2 with 2880 viewsdirk_doone

Thornhill

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 23:13 - May 3 with 2626 viewsBonScott78

Thornhill definitely mush!
Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 23:33 - May 3 with 2609 viewsthis_charming_man

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 19:36 - May 2 by solent_toffee

I’ve always found Southampton to be a strange place when it comes to rough areas/estates especially in comparison to where I grew up.

We had estates that were complete shit holes, no redeeming features, little prospects, skewed moral compass and little to no aspiration.

Here we have ‘rough’ areas but they aren’t very far from some very prosperous areas.

In short, some rough bits but generally a sound place to live.

Bigger city I guess. Living near Leeds now Im not sure it’s any worse than Southampton, just on a larger scale. When I first met Mrs TCM she was living up here, we went back to one of her mates flats on an estate in Leeds After a night out, there were about 5 or 6 of us plus 3 girls, we got set upon by about 15 young lads all off their heads outside some shops. 3-4 of us can look after ourselves but it was a case of keeping the girls safe and try to get back to the flat with a few well placed pushes and punches meant a very dicey situation ended with none of us being seriously hurt, had anyone of us gone too far we’d have been overwhelmed and god knows what would have happened. I was glad with me that night were a few lads who could have a row if need but none so stupid they’d wade into a scrap without thinking of the consequences, taught me a lot that night. but thorn hill is the same, large groups of kids wondering around, when I lived there in the early 00s someone got stabbed outside my front door, I remember a group of kids running down the road with a chain smashing cars up, go out and confront them again you don’t know what you’re letting yourself in for.

My idea of a tough estate though is where that doesn’t go on and the estates are run by people who don’t let little coonts run around causing havoc. Growing up 30 years ago there were hard families around but the kids didn’t run riot like they do now. And it was all pretty self managed, your parents could go up to other kids parents and say they saw you kid doing. Something and the parents would deal with it, certainly how it worked where I grew up. Now they are too busy drinking and getting stoned to care.
[Post edited 4 May 2020 0:17]

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 23:48 - May 3 with 2600 viewsthis_charming_man

No mention of Weston yet, few loons down there.

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 00:11 - May 4 with 2585 viewsdjsaint

From personal experience Bassett was number 1 through 80/90's. Thornhill was always a good shout though!
Bassett was the term for for lads from mansbrdge, swaythling, Bassett /bassett green and Hampton park.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 07:35 - May 4 with 2513 viewssolent_toffee

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 23:33 - May 3 by this_charming_man

Bigger city I guess. Living near Leeds now Im not sure it’s any worse than Southampton, just on a larger scale. When I first met Mrs TCM she was living up here, we went back to one of her mates flats on an estate in Leeds After a night out, there were about 5 or 6 of us plus 3 girls, we got set upon by about 15 young lads all off their heads outside some shops. 3-4 of us can look after ourselves but it was a case of keeping the girls safe and try to get back to the flat with a few well placed pushes and punches meant a very dicey situation ended with none of us being seriously hurt, had anyone of us gone too far we’d have been overwhelmed and god knows what would have happened. I was glad with me that night were a few lads who could have a row if need but none so stupid they’d wade into a scrap without thinking of the consequences, taught me a lot that night. but thorn hill is the same, large groups of kids wondering around, when I lived there in the early 00s someone got stabbed outside my front door, I remember a group of kids running down the road with a chain smashing cars up, go out and confront them again you don’t know what you’re letting yourself in for.

My idea of a tough estate though is where that doesn’t go on and the estates are run by people who don’t let little coonts run around causing havoc. Growing up 30 years ago there were hard families around but the kids didn’t run riot like they do now. And it was all pretty self managed, your parents could go up to other kids parents and say they saw you kid doing. Something and the parents would deal with it, certainly how it worked where I grew up. Now they are too busy drinking and getting stoned to care.
[Post edited 4 May 2020 0:17]

Growing up our estate was very much like that, self policed, if anyone got out a order, they knew about it, but it rarely happened. As coke became more and more prevalent bordering on normal in the late nineties, people used to become more and more aggro but it was still relatively well policed. Now it’s horrific. Prior to this lockdown, the estate was on a curfew as the kids on the estate were running riot. They have dispersal orders each evening from 6pm, but the police struggle as it’s one road in, one road out. It’s sickening that dickhead 12-15 year olds are running the show.
Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 09:23 - May 4 with 2446 viewsSaintNick

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 07:35 - May 4 by solent_toffee

Growing up our estate was very much like that, self policed, if anyone got out a order, they knew about it, but it rarely happened. As coke became more and more prevalent bordering on normal in the late nineties, people used to become more and more aggro but it was still relatively well policed. Now it’s horrific. Prior to this lockdown, the estate was on a curfew as the kids on the estate were running riot. They have dispersal orders each evening from 6pm, but the police struggle as it’s one road in, one road out. It’s sickening that dickhead 12-15 year olds are running the show.

Now having a bike I have been around a few areas on the West side of Southampton including the one I grew up in.

Millbrook was always tough and a bit rough but in the main the people took pride in their houses and as some say it was a little self policed.

Now it looks run down, now part of this could be because in the 1970's there were not so many cars about, so it had some nice green patches, these have now been churned up by parked so look messes, but when the estate was built it wasnt built to take cars so there is no other room.

But it is a bit more than that and I daresay it is the same everywhere, when I was a kid our parents hadn't been rowdy, on Millbrook you had a few ageing Teddy Boys but now you have people nearing 70 who were Skinheads in 1968, 65 year olds who were bootboys in 1972, 60 year old punk rockers, 50 year old ravers, 45 year old Oasis fans they were brought up in youth cults who were about rebellion and in some of them violence .

So how does a 12 year old these days get his guidance, from parents, grand parents and in some cases great grandparents who are a living history of youth cults going back to the 1960's.

Kids look up to those who are seen as hard & cool, at 10-12 the people we went to school with idolised the "faces" in the Milton Road end not accountants or doctors, most grew out of it because when they got into their 20's they started to respect their parents again for what they had done for them, now on these estates you see three generations of people in the pubs.

But although it is part of the problem it is not the main issue and that is drugs as Solent Toffee said, in the late 80's they were there, but they then exploded into normal useage and this caused problems that got worse, kids grow up in households where the parents openly use drugs so they see it as the norm, I truly don't know how this can be stopped.

Both ST & TCM give examples of the North and I agree with them, got to Liverpool or Leeds and their sink estates make ours look like luxury bathrooms with a Jacuzzi, if you go for a sh*t in a pub in Liverpool you have to queue behind the coke heads, the problem is ten times worse up there.

Of course this is just generalising and the majority of the population of housing estates in Southampton are decent law abiding people which makes it all the more sadder.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 09:48 - May 4 with 2423 viewsthis_charming_man

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 09:23 - May 4 by SaintNick

Now having a bike I have been around a few areas on the West side of Southampton including the one I grew up in.

Millbrook was always tough and a bit rough but in the main the people took pride in their houses and as some say it was a little self policed.

Now it looks run down, now part of this could be because in the 1970's there were not so many cars about, so it had some nice green patches, these have now been churned up by parked so look messes, but when the estate was built it wasnt built to take cars so there is no other room.

But it is a bit more than that and I daresay it is the same everywhere, when I was a kid our parents hadn't been rowdy, on Millbrook you had a few ageing Teddy Boys but now you have people nearing 70 who were Skinheads in 1968, 65 year olds who were bootboys in 1972, 60 year old punk rockers, 50 year old ravers, 45 year old Oasis fans they were brought up in youth cults who were about rebellion and in some of them violence .

So how does a 12 year old these days get his guidance, from parents, grand parents and in some cases great grandparents who are a living history of youth cults going back to the 1960's.

Kids look up to those who are seen as hard & cool, at 10-12 the people we went to school with idolised the "faces" in the Milton Road end not accountants or doctors, most grew out of it because when they got into their 20's they started to respect their parents again for what they had done for them, now on these estates you see three generations of people in the pubs.

But although it is part of the problem it is not the main issue and that is drugs as Solent Toffee said, in the late 80's they were there, but they then exploded into normal useage and this caused problems that got worse, kids grow up in households where the parents openly use drugs so they see it as the norm, I truly don't know how this can be stopped.

Both ST & TCM give examples of the North and I agree with them, got to Liverpool or Leeds and their sink estates make ours look like luxury bathrooms with a Jacuzzi, if you go for a sh*t in a pub in Liverpool you have to queue behind the coke heads, the problem is ten times worse up there.

Of course this is just generalising and the majority of the population of housing estates in Southampton are decent law abiding people which makes it all the more sadder.

The other thing you get up north that you dont see down South so much are small old towns that are like the land that time forgot. Really run down places that look like they've not changed in 100 years, Drive through parts of Lancashire and some of Yorkshire and you'll see a fair few of these. Very unwelcoming to outsiders.

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 10:06 - May 4 with 2409 viewsSaintNick

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 09:48 - May 4 by this_charming_man

The other thing you get up north that you dont see down South so much are small old towns that are like the land that time forgot. Really run down places that look like they've not changed in 100 years, Drive through parts of Lancashire and some of Yorkshire and you'll see a fair few of these. Very unwelcoming to outsiders.

I think this is because back in the 1800's and the industrial revolution there were many little towns who were built around industry, coal mining, cotton, canals etc.

In the south we had none of this our towns and villages were ore sedate affairs even 200 or so years ago

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 12:45 - May 4 with 2349 viewsChopChop

Lived in Sholing until '98 when the was 24, pretty rough but not as bad as Merry Oak, Weston and Thornhill. As a nipper I'd rarely venture into any of those areas a small it would generally end up kicking off. Was nice chased from Eastpoint in Thornhill by 15 lads all the way back to Sholing (3 of us), they had knives, felt like I was in the Warriors film. Similarly thing happened in Bitterne for no apparent reason too! As I got older I was less intimidated. Funny thing no is all the areas on the east side pretty much hate each other but would generally unite against the west side (townies). Silly, petty tribal stuff really.

I'd ruin her... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Poll: Does Hatchback enjoy having a barney on here?

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 22:23 - May 5 with 2194 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18428347.amp/

Guns in Millbrook. Don't get much rougher than that.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 22:49 - May 5 with 2163 viewsSouthSeaSaint

Remember walking up Wembley Way prior to the Charity Shield game in 1976 and seeing the following writ large on the outside of the ground...'Thornill and Harefield welcome Weston Wa*kers'
Thought that was a bit odd!!
Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 08:32 - May 6 with 2045 viewsRon11

Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 09:48 - May 4 by this_charming_man

Royston Vasey
Southampton's toughest areas / estates on 09:32 - May 6 with 2016 viewskernow

Are you local?
The precious things in this shop are for local people.
There's nothing for you here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024