By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of cookies and to abide by our Terms and Conditions. We in turn value your personal details in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Like a good read. At the moment it's military history, The Road to Berlin, sequel to the Road to Stalingrad by Prof John Erickson. Bought them both for 50p at the village fete last year.
World War 2 was won in the wheat fields of Ukraine and the forests of Byelorussia.
Marshall Zhukov is a Hero of the Soviet Union and goes down well under my roof.
0
Reading any good books right now? on 12:59 - Sep 27 with 725 views
"The Road to Berlin, sequel to the Road to Stalingrad by Prof John Erickson."
It sounds like he's following in the footsteps of Antony Beevor's Stalingrad and Berlin, which are both very good.
I don't know if you also like first-hand Second World War accounts, but if you do, The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer and With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by Eugene Sledge are two of the best books I've ever read.
Reading any good books right now? on 13:46 - Sep 27 by Jellybaby
I've been smitten by Russian literature - Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky - not sure it can be bettered.
The Russians are enormously proud of their literature. Sholokhov, Turgenev, Pasternak and Solzhenitsyn are also worth exploring. I spent the COVID lockdown trying to improve my Russian, but it's nowhere near good enough to read Russian literature in anything other than English translations, and at my age, I doubt it ever will be. But, what motivated me was trying to learn the lyrics of these songs (not to sing them though!):
Many Russian operas are based on works by Tolstoy and Pushkin, including Joidevivre's favourite, Queen of Spades.
Reading any good books right now? on 13:57 - Sep 27 by Joiedevivre
I read a selection of Russian short stories a couple months ago.
Pushkin’s Queen of Spades being the best
The cloak by Gogol is great.
Thanks, will definitely check these out, I read a couple of Tolstoy novellas recently - The forged Coupon and The death of Ivan Ilyich, which I can recommend.
I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.
0
Reading any good books right now? on 16:52 - Sep 27 with 528 views
Reading any good books right now? on 14:28 - Sep 27 by dirk_doone
The Russians are enormously proud of their literature. Sholokhov, Turgenev, Pasternak and Solzhenitsyn are also worth exploring. I spent the COVID lockdown trying to improve my Russian, but it's nowhere near good enough to read Russian literature in anything other than English translations, and at my age, I doubt it ever will be. But, what motivated me was trying to learn the lyrics of these songs (not to sing them though!):
Many Russian operas are based on works by Tolstoy and Pushkin, including Joidevivre's favourite, Queen of Spades.
[Post edited 27 Sep 14:42]
Very impressed, you can speak any Russian Dirk, very tricky language to learn apparently.
Yes, some pretty high notes there!
I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.
0
Reading any good books right now? on 18:32 - Sep 27 with 473 views
Don't be too impressed. I've already forgotten a lot.
[Post edited 27 Sep 18:54]
Thanks for this, I’m up for giving this a go.
I am currently trying to learn a bit of German (with the hope of reading German poetry) so I’m sure a bit of Russian to read their prose and verse simultaneously won’t hurt.
Reading any good books right now? on 21:29 - Sep 27 by Joiedevivre
Thanks for this, I’m up for giving this a go.
I am currently trying to learn a bit of German (with the hope of reading German poetry) so I’m sure a bit of Russian to read their prose and verse simultaneously won’t hurt.
Reading any good books right now? on 16:46 - Sep 27 by Jellybaby
Thanks, will definitely check these out, I read a couple of Tolstoy novellas recently - The forged Coupon and The death of Ivan Ilyich, which I can recommend.
Tolstoy is a fascinating person, a pacifist and anarchist who rejected formal religion and the concept of a church but held strong spiritual beliefs.
But I’ve personally found his writing impenetrable, I know war and peace is supposed to be a master piece but it bored me to tears
0
Reading any good books right now? on 16:40 - Sep 28 with 147 views
Reading any good books right now? on 00:09 - Sep 28 by franniesTache
Tolstoy is a fascinating person, a pacifist and anarchist who rejected formal religion and the concept of a church but held strong spiritual beliefs.
But I’ve personally found his writing impenetrable, I know war and peace is supposed to be a master piece but it bored me to tears
One of the worst writers that has ever pulled out a Russian pen, was very overrated and any good books he ever had were because he had a solid back line of Sholokhov, Turgenev, Pasternak and Solzhenitsyn in front of him that made him look good.
Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime
0
Reading any good books right now? on 20:33 - Sep 28 with 94 views
Reading any good books right now? on 00:09 - Sep 28 by franniesTache
Tolstoy is a fascinating person, a pacifist and anarchist who rejected formal religion and the concept of a church but held strong spiritual beliefs.
But I’ve personally found his writing impenetrable, I know war and peace is supposed to be a master piece but it bored me to tears
Yes, Paul Johnson writes an excellent biography on Tolstoy, where he covers this.
I am just about to read “Resurrection” that precipitated his expulsion from the Russian Orthodox Church - that excommunication has never been rescinded.
Try some of his novellas - not the war ones, The Forged Coupon for example is an easy read, carrying a great message of redemption.
I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.
0
Reading any good books right now? on 22:30 - Sep 28 with 45 views
I've been reading a few old football manager books recently. Sam Allardyce, Ian Holloway etc ... really enjoying them. I don't think I'll read Russell Martin's WHEN he does one though ...
Reading any good books right now? on 22:30 - Sep 28 by Gennaro_Contaldo
I've been reading a few old football manager books recently. Sam Allardyce, Ian Holloway etc ... really enjoying them. I don't think I'll read Russell Martin's WHEN he does one though ...
I'd love to read Russell Martin's autobiography Scar Tissue when it comes out I'd imagine it will be like Bouncing Back by Alan Partridge, loads of anecdotes ending with the phrase "Needless to say, I had the last laugh"
Compared to some of the subjects on this thread the fanzine book, Manchester Chronicles by Clint Boon and a couple of Robert Elms' books will be what I take on holiday in a couple of days, seem pretty low brow
Fail we may, sail we must
0
Reading any good books right now? on 22:42 - Sep 28 with 29 views
Reading any good books right now? on 22:39 - Sep 28 by shotters
I'd love to read Russell Martin's autobiography Scar Tissue when it comes out I'd imagine it will be like Bouncing Back by Alan Partridge, loads of anecdotes ending with the phrase "Needless to say, I had the last laugh"
Compared to some of the subjects on this thread the fanzine book, Manchester Chronicles by Clint Boon and a couple of Robert Elms' books will be what I take on holiday in a couple of days, seem pretty low brow
Two things I miss in City Centre's Book shops & record shops, there used to be a plethora of both, now there are very few other than Waterstones
Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime
0
Reading any good books right now? on 22:48 - Sep 28 with 21 views
Reading any good books right now? on 22:42 - Sep 28 by SaintNick
Two things I miss in City Centre's Book shops & record shops, there used to be a plethora of both, now there are very few other than Waterstones
There was a question on House Of Games this evening about the number of independent bookshops in this country Wasn't surprised that it's less than 1000, even Charing Cross Road doesn't have as many as I remember Guildford was always the place to go locally when I was growing up, no record shop there anymore and I don't think there's anything other than Waterstones Probably the Amazon effect and people just not buying physical books and lp's as much
Fail we may, sail we must
0
Reading any good books right now? on 22:50 - Sep 28 with 17 views
Reading any good books right now? on 22:48 - Sep 28 by shotters
There was a question on House Of Games this evening about the number of independent bookshops in this country Wasn't surprised that it's less than 1000, even Charing Cross Road doesn't have as many as I remember Guildford was always the place to go locally when I was growing up, no record shop there anymore and I don't think there's anything other than Waterstones Probably the Amazon effect and people just not buying physical books and lp's as much
Yes why pay full whack for a book in a shop when you can get exactly the same item for a lot cheaper on Amazon and delivered to your door
Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime
0
Reading any good books right now? on 22:57 - Sep 28 with 10 views
Reading any good books right now? on 22:39 - Sep 28 by shotters
I'd love to read Russell Martin's autobiography Scar Tissue when it comes out I'd imagine it will be like Bouncing Back by Alan Partridge, loads of anecdotes ending with the phrase "Needless to say, I had the last laugh"
Compared to some of the subjects on this thread the fanzine book, Manchester Chronicles by Clint Boon and a couple of Robert Elms' books will be what I take on holiday in a couple of days, seem pretty low brow
Genuine lol! Scar tissue!!
Every couple of chapters ... you can see him lambasting the fans of every team he's managed; "ignorant of the higher skill levels involved in managing at this level, needless to say, I had the last laugh"