Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Vestergaard 14:30 - Jul 19 with 2822 viewsJaySaint

just a terrible defender - FACT

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Vestergaard on 22:21 - Jul 19 with 694 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The way I see it, he's 27, he'll either stay and be an okay back up like Yoshida, or the club should cut their losses and move on.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Vestergaard on 22:49 - Jul 19 with 659 viewsBicester_North

Vestergaard on 22:20 - Jul 19 by Saintsforeverj

I think we could do with another top quality centre back. We don't have a VD of course. We conceded a lot of goals at the beginning of the season, but maybe they are improving and Ralph is coaching them into better players. But what I'm saying is that when fans say Stephens is a liability, Ves is terrible etc etc, surely they are not that bad: they stopped Man City scoring. A team that scores 5 past nearly every one, including Liverpool. The whole team is playing better, and it wasn't just the defence that was at fault, at the beginning.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 22:22]

True, not saying they are always a liability and all 3 have looked good at times but it was a miracle that Man City never scored, they had loads of chances. Bournemouth did today as well, free headers etc. It’s the chances we give teams as well as goals conceded.
I think our whole slump started when Van Dijk got injured and Fonte left, and we’ve never fully recovered.
Even possibly the reason why our keepers seem to lose form as they feel constantly under pressure. But yes Ralph has improved most players.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Vestergaard on 00:21 - Jul 20 with 619 viewsPatfromPoole

Vestergaard on 22:18 - Jul 19 by Ripleys_revenge

Full credit to the whole defence and the whole team for a cracking result, but Vestergaard left us in trouble on countless occasions. The wild lunge by the touchline in the first half leading to an excellent piece of covering by kwp, the scissor challenge on Wilson on the halfway line when he got booked, x number of misplaced passes going directly to the opposition, giving the ball away in his own area leading to the ‘fantastic’ block he put in to redeem the situation in the 2nd half, totally out paced on numerous occasions, I could go on.

I’m amazed people are saying he played well, I thought he was atrocious.

I completely agree with you.

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

Vestergaard on 09:31 - Jul 20 with 554 viewsSaintNick

Vestergaard on 22:49 - Jul 19 by Bicester_North

True, not saying they are always a liability and all 3 have looked good at times but it was a miracle that Man City never scored, they had loads of chances. Bournemouth did today as well, free headers etc. It’s the chances we give teams as well as goals conceded.
I think our whole slump started when Van Dijk got injured and Fonte left, and we’ve never fully recovered.
Even possibly the reason why our keepers seem to lose form as they feel constantly under pressure. But yes Ralph has improved most players.

This post reflects my opinion, people talk about how well we defended against City, but truth was we defended well with spirit, but half the time we had to fling our way in front of goal because we had just failed to clear the ball properly.

That was the same against Bournemouth, how many free headers did we give them, and it was not all Vestergaard.

A good player can defend and keep it tight for the whole match, ours can't, MCcarthy is proof, solid for 90 +5 mins and then spills the ball, this is the story of our season at the back.

Vestergaard, Bednarek & Stephens ask yourself this, would any get in the team when compared to Fonte, Van Dijk, Alderweireld, Lovren, we all know the answer, even going back a bit further Michael Svensson, Danny Higginbotham, Claus Lundekvam and Dean Richards.

This emphasises how our standards have dropped in the last few years in the fact that we thnk they are good, they are back up players at best, Bednarek could have a career ahead of him alongside a good partner, but they don't have the concentration throughout the whole game to be truly top class..

I agree with the comment about the keepers, it is hard to be behind a defence that keeps leaving you exposed and is not consistent in the way it defends, Niemi never left his line, but his defenders knew that and we were a unit and worked with that, with any cross in our box these days, you havent a clue who will deal with it.

I think Vestergaard needs to go to a team that can cover his weaknesses and utilise his qualities, if he does he will prosper, Bednarek could be Premier League class with the right partner and Jack Stephens is a good back up player his problem is he cant win balls like say Lovren nor can he read a game and control the back line like Fonte, he is neither fish nor fowl, no big or strong enough and not clever enough for either role in a central defensive partnership.

However he could have a role to play going forward as a back up player, he could come in if we revert to three at the back, he could cover for injuries and suspensions and he could play a defensive midfield role.

There you go a reasoned argument as to my views

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Vestergaard on 09:44 - Jul 20 with 543 viewsSaintsforeverj

Vestergaard on 09:31 - Jul 20 by SaintNick

This post reflects my opinion, people talk about how well we defended against City, but truth was we defended well with spirit, but half the time we had to fling our way in front of goal because we had just failed to clear the ball properly.

That was the same against Bournemouth, how many free headers did we give them, and it was not all Vestergaard.

A good player can defend and keep it tight for the whole match, ours can't, MCcarthy is proof, solid for 90 +5 mins and then spills the ball, this is the story of our season at the back.

Vestergaard, Bednarek & Stephens ask yourself this, would any get in the team when compared to Fonte, Van Dijk, Alderweireld, Lovren, we all know the answer, even going back a bit further Michael Svensson, Danny Higginbotham, Claus Lundekvam and Dean Richards.

This emphasises how our standards have dropped in the last few years in the fact that we thnk they are good, they are back up players at best, Bednarek could have a career ahead of him alongside a good partner, but they don't have the concentration throughout the whole game to be truly top class..

I agree with the comment about the keepers, it is hard to be behind a defence that keeps leaving you exposed and is not consistent in the way it defends, Niemi never left his line, but his defenders knew that and we were a unit and worked with that, with any cross in our box these days, you havent a clue who will deal with it.

I think Vestergaard needs to go to a team that can cover his weaknesses and utilise his qualities, if he does he will prosper, Bednarek could be Premier League class with the right partner and Jack Stephens is a good back up player his problem is he cant win balls like say Lovren nor can he read a game and control the back line like Fonte, he is neither fish nor fowl, no big or strong enough and not clever enough for either role in a central defensive partnership.

However he could have a role to play going forward as a back up player, he could come in if we revert to three at the back, he could cover for injuries and suspensions and he could play a defensive midfield role.

There you go a reasoned argument as to my views

I do think our defenders have improved. I agree that none of them are as good as VD, Fonte, Alderweirald and would love us to get in a quality centre back like those mentioned above, just to really give us some real quality at the back. But I think they deserve some credit for the improvement, and the recent solid defensive performances, that has probably surprised us all. Who wasn't surprised that we didn't concede against Man City?
[Post edited 20 Jul 2020 9:46]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Vestergaard on 10:25 - Jul 20 with 531 viewsBison

I'm not going to slag any of our players at the moment the form since the 9-0 has been phenomenal . VVD is probabally the best centre-half in the world so comparing ours to him is pointless , if we had Messi we would' be saying Ings ain't a patch on Lionel.

Saints seem to be greater than the sum of their parts at the moment , we defend from the front which in turn may leave our defence more vulnerable when teams break that press. I would gladly take an upgrade on any of our players but currently it's a pleasure to watch the team , they seem to be in it together . Our captain wants away , he's replaced and we play better . I wish we had another 10 games left this season rather than 1. They have been a joy to watch....in the main.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Vestergaard on 19:20 - Jul 20 with 480 viewsBison

According to Newsnow

Southampton have agreed the signing of Mohammed Salisu from Real Valladolid after finalising personal terms, Football Insider can reveal.

The Premier League club will pay the £10.9m (€12m) release clause in the Ghanian centre-back’s contract.

£35k a week.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Vestergaard on 21:02 - Jul 20 with 458 viewsNumber_58

Reading one or two comments about our defenders you'd been forgiven for thinking we never conceded any goals before Stephens and Bednarek came along. I'm old enough to remember us having internationals like Dave Watson, Chris Nichol and Mark Wright and still getting battered, especially away from home (and let's face it, you need a bloody good defence if you're going to win lots of away games in the top division). I even recall us conceding six at home with a certain VVD in defence.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024