Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many more have they got??! 08:11 - Aug 13 with 4276 viewssaint22

Now you can add Gavin Williamson to the list of endless incompetent fools the clown has in his cabinet
Ruining our education system single handedly and our kids futures
Beggars belief
How many more have they got??! on 08:40 - Aug 13 with 1795 viewsA1079

So what exactly do you think he should have done then?

I will admit our education system at times is a mess, but it's been messed around for decades because of the politicising of it.. Endless governments, oppositions and unions have used it as a political football. I was at secondary school in the 70's and putting aside I am not the brightest star in the sky, it was a bl**dy disaster then. I had nearly a year of schooling in a hall because there were not enough teachers and radical so called new thinking had reduced schools to virtual anarchy and loads of teachers left.

In the current situation I am not sure what the best options would have been. There is no real supplement for exam testing but since that did not happen, I am not sure there is a 100% solid good option that is going to fit all scenarios. I do agree that the last minute change yesterday was somewhat late in the day, but I think they got scared by the Scotland backlash.

I don't think the unions have been helpful and proactive on any of the schooling issues through this pandemic. Not blaming them for this current situation but there is a collective responsibility that has been missing.

I am not saying Gavin Williamson has or has not got it right, but people are quick to throw bricks but offer no solutions. It is easy to be a desk top critic. Lets be honest is anyone ever going to say - you got that right, whoever in Govt is in charge?

Of course the real impact is on the students and poor education or messing around with different exam formats and titles, changing the curriculum endlessly, changing qualification standards etc has a negative effect on our youth not least because you become student of a certain era in the eye of many employers and that can be a stain left on you that is not your fault. Arguably Education should be removed from politics altogether but that is never going to happen.
How many more have they got??! on 08:44 - Aug 13 with 1786 viewsChesham_Saint

How many more have they got??! on 08:40 - Aug 13 by A1079

I will admit our education system at times is a mess, but it's been messed around for decades because of the politicising of it.. Endless governments, oppositions and unions have used it as a political football. I was at secondary school in the 70's and putting aside I am not the brightest star in the sky, it was a bl**dy disaster then. I had nearly a year of schooling in a hall because there were not enough teachers and radical so called new thinking had reduced schools to virtual anarchy and loads of teachers left.

In the current situation I am not sure what the best options would have been. There is no real supplement for exam testing but since that did not happen, I am not sure there is a 100% solid good option that is going to fit all scenarios. I do agree that the last minute change yesterday was somewhat late in the day, but I think they got scared by the Scotland backlash.

I don't think the unions have been helpful and proactive on any of the schooling issues through this pandemic. Not blaming them for this current situation but there is a collective responsibility that has been missing.

I am not saying Gavin Williamson has or has not got it right, but people are quick to throw bricks but offer no solutions. It is easy to be a desk top critic. Lets be honest is anyone ever going to say - you got that right, whoever in Govt is in charge?

Of course the real impact is on the students and poor education or messing around with different exam formats and titles, changing the curriculum endlessly, changing qualification standards etc has a negative effect on our youth not least because you become student of a certain era in the eye of many employers and that can be a stain left on you that is not your fault. Arguably Education should be removed from politics altogether but that is never going to happen.

Thanks A, for a well reasoned response to a typical knee jerk point score attempt. It’s a critical issue which needs serious and measured thought.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

How many more have they got??! on 08:58 - Aug 13 with 1774 viewsDellHero

Yep, this mush.
How many more have they got??! on 09:24 - Aug 13 with 1751 viewsSadoldgit

I feel for kids caught up in the current situation. It was stressful enough when I did O & A levels back in the 70’s so I can’t imagine what it is like now. I agree that our education system is a mess and has been for a considerable time. Find a fair system for all that works and stick to it. Stop tinkering.

As for how they sort the current mess out, that’s what we pay these people for. I’m just glad that I don’t have to do it!

On a brighter note I received a message that one of my nieces got into Leeds Uni today reading journalism. Hopefully a future lies ahead for her at The Guardian 😉
How many more have they got??! on 10:01 - Aug 13 with 1723 viewsdirk_doone

"The highest ever levels of A* and As " and yet still they are protesting.

We might as well just tell children to all award themselves whatever grades they like. But, that's OK because then they won't feel the need to protest. The universities are so desperate for money nowadays that they'll accept anybody anyway.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 12:54]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

How many more have they got??! on 10:03 - Aug 13 with 1714 viewsChesham_Saint

How many more have they got??! on 09:24 - Aug 13 by Sadoldgit

I feel for kids caught up in the current situation. It was stressful enough when I did O & A levels back in the 70’s so I can’t imagine what it is like now. I agree that our education system is a mess and has been for a considerable time. Find a fair system for all that works and stick to it. Stop tinkering.

As for how they sort the current mess out, that’s what we pay these people for. I’m just glad that I don’t have to do it!

On a brighter note I received a message that one of my nieces got into Leeds Uni today reading journalism. Hopefully a future lies ahead for her at The Guardian 😉

The Guardian? It could well be defunct by the time she graduates! So...how would you feel if she was offered the job of either:

A) A columnist on the Daily Mail or;

B) the reporter for the PortsMouth News that has to cover all of pompey’s matches...?

Congrats by the way.

How many more have they got??! on 10:15 - Aug 13 with 1702 viewsBison

It seems like everyone is moaning about their grades this morning yet the pass figures all seem to be up from last year. I know it's hard but give a thought to those kids that took the exams last year after full time studying for them and in general the class of 2019 are getting better ones after missing half a school year , again I did say in general.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

How many more have they got??! on 10:19 - Aug 13 with 1699 viewsSadoldgit

How many more have they got??! on 10:03 - Aug 13 by Chesham_Saint

The Guardian? It could well be defunct by the time she graduates! So...how would you feel if she was offered the job of either:

A) A columnist on the Daily Mail or;

B) the reporter for the PortsMouth News that has to cover all of pompey’s matches...?

Congrats by the way.

Well clearly she would be disowned by the whole family! 😉

Don’t worry, The Guardian will be fine in one form or another.

And thanks.
Login to get fewer ads

How many more have they got??! on 11:09 - Aug 13 with 1664 viewsChesham_Saint

How many more have they got??! on 10:19 - Aug 13 by Sadoldgit

Well clearly she would be disowned by the whole family! 😉

Don’t worry, The Guardian will be fine in one form or another.

And thanks.

Well for your sake I hope it can survive with a readership based mainly in Islington...

How many more have they got??! on 11:11 - Aug 13 with 1663 viewsDorsetIan

I appreciate that dealing with education at a time like this was going to be a thankless task but, other than Priti Patel, we couldn't have done much worse than having Williamson in charge. He was crap at defence (to the russians: 'just shut up and go away') and he's come across as a complete drip in relation to these education issues.

He made his reputation as chief whip. I can imagine him good at that job. He seems like the sneaky, snitchy type.

Let's hope that all the students ultimately get the grades and places they deserve.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

How many more have they got??! on 11:26 - Aug 13 with 1643 viewsJaySaint

How many more have they got??! on 11:11 - Aug 13 by DorsetIan

I appreciate that dealing with education at a time like this was going to be a thankless task but, other than Priti Patel, we couldn't have done much worse than having Williamson in charge. He was crap at defence (to the russians: 'just shut up and go away') and he's come across as a complete drip in relation to these education issues.

He made his reputation as chief whip. I can imagine him good at that job. He seems like the sneaky, snitchy type.

Let's hope that all the students ultimately get the grades and places they deserve.

what if they have got the grades they would have got?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

How many more have they got??! on 11:28 - Aug 13 with 1638 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 11:26 - Aug 13 by JaySaint

what if they have got the grades they would have got?

Same thing, no? The grades they deserve are they grades they would have got.

How many more have they got??! on 12:10 - Aug 13 with 1598 viewsJaySaint

How many more have they got??! on 11:28 - Aug 13 by DorsetIan

Same thing, no? The grades they deserve are they grades they would have got.

how long before we are told BAME students have been unfairly affected?

How many more have they got??! on 12:40 - Aug 13 with 1572 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 12:10 - Aug 13 by JaySaint

how long before we are told BAME students have been unfairly affected?

You’ve given yourself away a bit there, Jay.

How many more have they got??! on 13:04 - Aug 13 with 1537 views1885_SFC

I love the way the government are being bashed for the exams results. I wasn't aware that MP's marked the papers. I thought it was down to the teachers who knew each kid & knew their individual ability?

Old School is Cool

How many more have they got??! on 13:06 - Aug 13 with 1530 viewsSadoldgit

How many more have they got??! on 11:09 - Aug 13 by Chesham_Saint

Well for your sake I hope it can survive with a readership based mainly in Islington...

It has done for a long time! Although it has a very strong base in north London, it is well read (readership figures used to be more important than circulation figures when advertising revenue was higher) across the UK. The Guardian has a very high readership level amongst decision makers. It also doesn’t have to compete for readers in the same way that most of the other titles have to (given that most titles are right wing). It may end up being online only, which would be a shame, but I can’t see it vanishing.

Even if you dislike the paper, as a supporter of democracy I would expect you to welcome a media that represents all sides of the political spectrum. Yes?
[Post edited 13 Aug 2020 13:54]
How many more have they got??! on 13:14 - Aug 13 with 1524 viewsBazza

Some good comments on here and even a good joke by Soggy. But I don't understand negativity on this considering the very difficult times. Not a bad time to apply to universities when they are desparate to fill gaps left by Chinese and others not wanting to pay huge sums for the online courses.

'Heads warning of unfair grades' BBC headlines but yet again grades have been sneaking higher, compare 28% A/A* grades now to the 5% in the 70s!
How many more have they got??! on 14:28 - Aug 13 with 1451 viewsSadoldgit

I wonder how much of this is down to Cummings and his attempts to emasculate the Civil Service? We, the older posters will remember, according to Yes Minister, politicians come and go whilst the country is run by the Sir Humphreys. We just seem to be lurching from one mess to another without anyone having a handle on things.
How many more have they got??! on 16:07 - Aug 13 with 1419 viewsDorsetIan

How many more have they got??! on 14:28 - Aug 13 by Sadoldgit

I wonder how much of this is down to Cummings and his attempts to emasculate the Civil Service? We, the older posters will remember, according to Yes Minister, politicians come and go whilst the country is run by the Sir Humphreys. We just seem to be lurching from one mess to another without anyone having a handle on things.

Cummings is supposed to be shaking things up and making everything more efficient.

Having listened to the radio about this all day, it reminds me a lot of VAR and just a generally mediocre effort. Supposedly clever people trying to put sophisticated adjustment models in place but ending up with some really stupid decisions which don't make any sense, and where the pupils are expected to appeal to get back to the 'right' result.

For example, a girl predicted a B who was downgraded to an E, just because someone in the school got an E last year, and they needed someone this year too.

Too early to know but I'd like to know whether the independent schools are finding as many unfair results as the state schools.

How many more have they got??! on 20:51 - Aug 13 with 1315 viewssaint22

It’s indicative of this governments failings that’s what the issue is
He was sacked as defence secretary and then, what, he will do a good job for education?!
It’s not just the exam debacle it’s the whole school/ Covid situation, leaving our pupils floundering with no set education yet rushing everyone back to the pub
It’s just another example of how useless Boris and his cronies are yet so many thought they were the answer and now our kids pay the price
How many more have they got??! on 20:54 - Aug 13 with 1313 viewskingslandstand1

How many more have they got??! on 13:14 - Aug 13 by Bazza

Some good comments on here and even a good joke by Soggy. But I don't understand negativity on this considering the very difficult times. Not a bad time to apply to universities when they are desparate to fill gaps left by Chinese and others not wanting to pay huge sums for the online courses.

'Heads warning of unfair grades' BBC headlines but yet again grades have been sneaking higher, compare 28% A/A* grades now to the 5% in the 70s!

Must be easier than in my day then!!!!
How many more have they got??! on 23:35 - Aug 13 with 1245 viewsBison

How many more have they got??! on 20:54 - Aug 13 by kingslandstand1

Must be easier than in my day then!!!!

I got 6 'O' levels.

The covid generation will get the highest pass mark in history.

They will also be the most 'educated' generation in history.

They will also be the most unemployed , whoops spell check , the most unemployable generation in history.

They will also probably the most needy generation in history.

How many more have they got??! on 00:15 - Aug 14 with 1224 viewsBison

How many more have they got??! on 23:35 - Aug 13 by Bison

I got 6 'O' levels.

The covid generation will get the highest pass mark in history.

They will also be the most 'educated' generation in history.

They will also be the most unemployed , whoops spell check , the most unemployable generation in history.

They will also probably the most needy generation in history.

Sorry answering my own post but we should invest 49 trillion into mental health for kids that have never lost a football game or came first when actually 8th at school sports day.

Why can't I get a job daddy ? I got straight A's at school , well..... after you sued the school for discimination because I was on holiday in school term and I missed the exam because Nike had released new trainers.

I would of tried harder in my Mocks but there was a new version of fortnite so I needed to learn the new dance..

I blame the government .

How many more have they got??! on 07:47 - Aug 14 with 1179 viewsgrumpy

How many more have they got??! on 13:04 - Aug 13 by 1885_SFC

I love the way the government are being bashed for the exams results. I wasn't aware that MP's marked the papers. I thought it was down to the teachers who knew each kid & knew their individual ability?

Correct me if I am wrong,but Ofqual is a government department.
How many more have they got??! on 08:02 - Aug 14 with 1168 viewsJaySaint

interesting, the unions backed this process. No condemnation for them here

unsure what else anyone could do.
Shut down the country, sh1t happens
and many here wanted the shutdown earlier, longer, harder.....more/deeper sh1t would happen then also.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024