Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Stephens 03:07 - Aug 23 with 1743 viewsScoot

I have criticised Jack over previous seasons for his poor positioning and rash decisions but have felt that this year he has improved as its moved on especially after the 3 month break. My feelings are now that with Salisu coming in jack should be his partner at first over Bednerek although it could be either or. I would be interested to hear what you think.

Poll: Should NJ go?

Jack Stephens on 09:15 - Aug 23 with 1642 viewsdirk_doone

Agreed. He was our best central defender after the restart. How they all perform in the pre-season games will be the deciding factor.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jack Stephens on 10:46 - Aug 23 with 1575 viewsBison

I agree he has his faults but I think he has started to look classy. He can pass and does step forward with the ball which suits our new style. I think there is talk of a contract extension which is no bad thing , he deserves it a step he's been playing well.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Jack Stephens on 10:48 - Aug 23 with 1571 viewsJaySaint

He has become a good Premier League CB.
Fair play to him, had to stick at it and fight for his place.

He was fortunate that Hoedt and Vestergaard were/are just crap, but them the breaks in football

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Jack Stephens on 10:53 - Aug 23 with 1561 viewsA1079

He has his faults and he is far from perfect but I think he has come on and he moves the ball well from the back and he would be one that I would keep. I also think, if we had an injury crisis or something in midfield he could even do a job for us there.

I thought Stephens and Bednarek looked quite good after the restart. Vestergaard is the obvious weak link but oddly even he seemed to have improved a bit.
Jack Stephens on 11:15 - Aug 23 with 1525 viewsSaintNick

Jack Stephens on 10:53 - Aug 23 by A1079

He has his faults and he is far from perfect but I think he has come on and he moves the ball well from the back and he would be one that I would keep. I also think, if we had an injury crisis or something in midfield he could even do a job for us there.

I thought Stephens and Bednarek looked quite good after the restart. Vestergaard is the obvious weak link but oddly even he seemed to have improved a bit.

Stephens definitely improved after the re start, but he was still a little dodgy in reading the game, he was left floundering more than once in the game against Arsenal for instance.

But playing alongside good defenders will help him and perhaps that might improve him, if we play a back four then I think it will be Bednarek and Salisu who will start, but I suspect that if Salisu is a success then Ralph might revert to a three man back line and this is where we will find out if Stephens can hold tat formation in place.

In the back I think the problem is that Jack is neither fish nor fowl so to speak, he is not big quick or strong enough to be the stopping player and although he can carry the ball forward well, I dont think he reads the game and organises well enough to be a Jose Fonte type of player who can hold the back line.

Perhaps his future at the club might be as a holding midfielder and it would not surprise me if he is used there this season

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Jack Stephens on 11:51 - Aug 23 with 1491 viewsdirk_doone

Playing alongside a top class, experienced central defender like José Fonte certainly helps develop a young defender a lot. Lovren, Alderweireld and van Dijk improved rapidly, and now he is having the same effect as captain at Lille, where his young central defensive partner, Gabriel, has become the subject of a bidding war between Manchester United and Arsenal. It will be interesting to see how the even younger Sven Botman now develops playing alongside Fonte.

So, our young central defenders, Stephens and Bednarek have done well to improve as much as they have without having the guidance of such a mentor.

He is still learning but I think by the time he reaches the peak age for a central defender of late 20s/early 30s, Stephens will be very good indeed and perhaps even better than the £50 million John Stones or £80 million Harry Maguire.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2020 14:01]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Jack Stephens on 19:48 - Aug 23 with 1320 viewsinthebox

Perhaps playing without the pressure of the crowd has had an influence, the indecision could be down to nerves..
Jack Stephens on 08:54 - Aug 24 with 1244 viewsSaintNick

Jack Stephens on 19:48 - Aug 23 by inthebox

Perhaps playing without the pressure of the crowd has had an influence, the indecision could be down to nerves..

That could be a factor, but he or any player has to have the mental toughness to ignore the crowd although that is not always easy so could be a factor

Login to get fewer ads

Jack Stephens on 09:31 - Aug 24 with 1209 viewsSonicBoom

Well this won't be popular but anyway.....
I don't know what you lot see. I see a guy that does indeed look classy and composed when under no pressure.
When he is under the cosh I see someone who panics and makes at best, rash decisions. His marking is poor and has been for 2 years. HIs passing is pretty good when coming out of defence under no pressure, but I've seen him many times step out and play a poor ball which puts our midfield under pressure.
I agree he seems a great guy, and he has improved slightly but I put him in the same class as Yoshida. Capable of 80 good minutes but switches off and makes very costly errors. Currently I'd play Salisu next to Bednarek, but there are rumours we are after another CB so perhaps both will be second choice.
Jack Stephens on 10:14 - Aug 24 with 1180 viewsSaintNick

Jack Stephens on 09:31 - Aug 24 by SonicBoom

Well this won't be popular but anyway.....
I don't know what you lot see. I see a guy that does indeed look classy and composed when under no pressure.
When he is under the cosh I see someone who panics and makes at best, rash decisions. His marking is poor and has been for 2 years. HIs passing is pretty good when coming out of defence under no pressure, but I've seen him many times step out and play a poor ball which puts our midfield under pressure.
I agree he seems a great guy, and he has improved slightly but I put him in the same class as Yoshida. Capable of 80 good minutes but switches off and makes very costly errors. Currently I'd play Salisu next to Bednarek, but there are rumours we are after another CB so perhaps both will be second choice.

I cant argue much with this assessment, I try desperately to see the positives with Jack, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, yes he has been better after lockdown, but we were still poor defensively too often at Norwich and Watford we got away with sloppiness at the back on a number of occasions and Manchester City on another day could have had six.

Jack Stephens on 10:35 - Aug 24 with 1162 viewsButty101

Jack Stephens on 10:14 - Aug 24 by SaintNick

I cant argue much with this assessment, I try desperately to see the positives with Jack, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt, yes he has been better after lockdown, but we were still poor defensively too often at Norwich and Watford we got away with sloppiness at the back on a number of occasions and Manchester City on another day could have had six.

We finished the season strongly. There is no way Ralph will break up the centre backs to chuck in Salisu who is unproven at this level. He is going to have to wait his turn, When he does come in im not sure Stephens will be the man to miss out. Theres talk he is about to get an improved contract.

People seem to have a real blind spot for players that come though the accademy. Bednak has his error prone moments yet these go unnoticed.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Jack Stephens on 12:14 - Aug 24 with 1134 viewsSaintNick

Jack Stephens on 10:35 - Aug 24 by Butty101

We finished the season strongly. There is no way Ralph will break up the centre backs to chuck in Salisu who is unproven at this level. He is going to have to wait his turn, When he does come in im not sure Stephens will be the man to miss out. Theres talk he is about to get an improved contract.

People seem to have a real blind spot for players that come though the accademy. Bednak has his error prone moments yet these go unnoticed.

I think that the starting partnership will be decided in pre season, Bednarek has not been perfect either, but I think he could be good with an experienced partner alongside him, Stephens doesnt seem to have that sort of organisational qualities and approaching 27 if he hasn't got them by now he really should have, we are not talking about a youngster here.

Van Dijk was the 24 when he came and the finished article there were no question marks over him, a lot of people say that Stephens can become this or that, but at his age he should be the finished article but thee are still question marks

Jack Stephens on 12:16 - Aug 24 with 1132 viewsButty101

Jack Stephens on 12:14 - Aug 24 by SaintNick

I think that the starting partnership will be decided in pre season, Bednarek has not been perfect either, but I think he could be good with an experienced partner alongside him, Stephens doesnt seem to have that sort of organisational qualities and approaching 27 if he hasn't got them by now he really should have, we are not talking about a youngster here.

Van Dijk was the 24 when he came and the finished article there were no question marks over him, a lot of people say that Stephens can become this or that, but at his age he should be the finished article but thee are still question marks

Injuries aside i would be amazed if the team is not identical to the lock down team.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Jack Stephens on 12:37 - Aug 24 with 1124 viewsSaintNick

Jack Stephens on 12:16 - Aug 24 by Butty101

Injuries aside i would be amazed if the team is not identical to the lock down team.

I wouldn't, you sign players to strengthen your squad, if you have had time to work with them before the game you play them, look at past opening days the new signing has started, Che Adams last year, Vestergaard the year before, you usually sign players because you dont feel that what you have got is good enough

Jack Stephens on 04:57 - Sep 8 with 911 viewsScoot

Jack came good at long last. He seems to be a late bloomer like fonte. Whether he can take charge at the back is a whole new question but to just get on with his job I think he's earned his chance. JB is chomping at his bit but then again that's providing salisou get a pick.

Poll: Should NJ go?

Jack Stephens on 07:16 - Sep 8 with 863 viewssaintwizzler

Jack Stephens on 04:57 - Sep 8 by Scoot

Jack came good at long last. He seems to be a late bloomer like fonte. Whether he can take charge at the back is a whole new question but to just get on with his job I think he's earned his chance. JB is chomping at his bit but then again that's providing salisou get a pick.

He’ll never be a top half EPL CB.
Not good enough.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Jack Stephens on 09:23 - Sep 8 with 796 viewsCity_boy

Not sure what many on here are seeing that I have missed. He is still not good enough.

He has had the odd good game, mainly where we have dominated and he hasn't been under pressure. Generally his positional play is poor and he gets beaten in the air too much, often not even challenging probably knowing he wont win the ball. He is also too error prone.

He is fortunate that there is little or no competition for his position.
Jack Stephens on 09:31 - Sep 8 with 787 viewssaintwizzler

Jack Stephens on 09:23 - Sep 8 by City_boy

Not sure what many on here are seeing that I have missed. He is still not good enough.

He has had the odd good game, mainly where we have dominated and he hasn't been under pressure. Generally his positional play is poor and he gets beaten in the air too much, often not even challenging probably knowing he wont win the ball. He is also too error prone.

He is fortunate that there is little or no competition for his position.

Correct.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024