Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rule Britannia! 15:32 - Aug 25 with 10018 viewsSadoldgit

So the BBC have compromised and have not banned this and Land of Hope and Glory from the Proms, an instrumental version will be played instead. Seems sensible not to be singing Britains never never never shall be slaves at a time like this, but Boris Johnson doesn’t agree. Perhaps it is time he went on a diversity course?
Rule Britannia! on 12:06 - Aug 26 with 1085 viewsJaySaint

Rule Britannia! on 12:01 - Aug 26 by Wints76

If the BBC is defunded, is there not the chance that there will be no last night at the proms at all, rather than just not having an audience to sing those couple of songs for this year only?

It does all feel slightly contrived.

the direction of travel for the BBC is set. Only a matter of time!

Threatening your customers with prison if they do not want your product, is a bit weird.

Imagine if you were forced to buy the Daily Mail (*insert the paper you will not read*) every day and not doing so, could result in a criminal conviction?

ironically, it is the young that will kill the BBC in its current set up. The very people the Beeb is desperate to appeal to (and failing).

If the BBC was as fantastic as some people say, surely it would thrive when left to fend for itself.

Ultimately, the BBC had a head start over many of the streaming start-ups years ago. It had vast content and the iPlayer etc....had it went on its own accord and offered a commercial streaming service, it could have made great strides IMO. Now, it is desperately trying to play catch up and chase the audience (BritBox for example)

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Rule Britannia! on 12:14 - Aug 26 with 1070 viewsgrumpy

Rule Britannia! on 08:41 - Aug 26 by Boris_

Another thread from the resident bed wetter pushing his left wing ideology to a bunch of strangers on the internet.

What an oddball!

That was a short holiday.
Rule Britannia! on 12:22 - Aug 26 with 1065 viewsWints76

Rule Britannia! on 12:06 - Aug 26 by JaySaint

the direction of travel for the BBC is set. Only a matter of time!

Threatening your customers with prison if they do not want your product, is a bit weird.

Imagine if you were forced to buy the Daily Mail (*insert the paper you will not read*) every day and not doing so, could result in a criminal conviction?

ironically, it is the young that will kill the BBC in its current set up. The very people the Beeb is desperate to appeal to (and failing).

If the BBC was as fantastic as some people say, surely it would thrive when left to fend for itself.

Ultimately, the BBC had a head start over many of the streaming start-ups years ago. It had vast content and the iPlayer etc....had it went on its own accord and offered a commercial streaming service, it could have made great strides IMO. Now, it is desperately trying to play catch up and chase the audience (BritBox for example)

Don't get me wrong, I know that massive changes are needed, and the current funding is archaic, but I still can't believe the hatred for an organisation that we have all benefited from.

And you are right, I won't buy any paper, but I won't even look at The Sun or Daily Mail. I am anti-hatred, and these two publications seem to promote it. I even get wound up by the hatred on here. There's really no need for it.

Phuck Pomoey though
Rule Britannia! on 12:29 - Aug 26 with 1063 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 12:14 - Aug 26 by grumpy

That was a short holiday.

Perhaps we can sort out some crowd funding to send him away for longer?
Rule Britannia! on 12:59 - Aug 26 with 1054 viewsKennington

I loathe the license fee as it’s a tax. I do like some BBC products like Test Match Special, but even that can be replaced as Talksport did well recently with its cricket coverage. Can’t say I really watch much telly, so not sure I get £130 worth of value from the license fee per year. Probably watch more Netflix, which is cheaper. Broadly I don’t really have an issue with adverts on the BBC as a way to fund it.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Rule Britannia! on 13:10 - Aug 26 with 1046 viewsSadoldgit

How about the government scraps the license fee altogether and funds the BBC directly from taxation as it does the NHS? Scrap Trident and spend the money on things that the population of this country use and value everyday. There is only one quality broadcaster that has consistently delivered over the years. There is nothing else like it in any other country on this planet.
Rule Britannia! on 13:20 - Aug 26 with 1041 viewsChesham_Saint

Rule Britannia! on 13:10 - Aug 26 by Sadoldgit

How about the government scraps the license fee altogether and funds the BBC directly from taxation as it does the NHS? Scrap Trident and spend the money on things that the population of this country use and value everyday. There is only one quality broadcaster that has consistently delivered over the years. There is nothing else like it in any other country on this planet.

If you love it that much then pay a subscription. Simple.

Scrap Trident to fund the BBC? You weren’t one of those Greenham Common harpies, were you Soggs?

Quick, let’s hold hands, form a circle and chant Kum ba yah..!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Rule Britannia! on 13:29 - Aug 26 with 1039 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 13:20 - Aug 26 by Chesham_Saint

If you love it that much then pay a subscription. Simple.

Scrap Trident to fund the BBC? You weren’t one of those Greenham Common harpies, were you Soggs?

Quick, let’s hold hands, form a circle and chant Kum ba yah..!

No Chesham, but I don’t see the point in paying a fortune for something that we and the rest of the world know that we will never use.
Login to get fewer ads

Rule Britannia! on 14:08 - Aug 26 with 1016 viewsgeezershoong1

Rule Britannia! on 13:29 - Aug 26 by Sadoldgit

No Chesham, but I don’t see the point in paying a fortune for something that we and the rest of the world know that we will never use.

That's the point! Mutually Assured Destruction!

It may be a flawed premise, but unless I've missed something, we haven't had a nuclear war.

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

Rule Britannia! on 15:10 - Aug 26 with 988 viewsJaySaint

Rule Britannia! on 13:10 - Aug 26 by Sadoldgit

Maybe, the Govt should cover the cost of essential reading of the Daily mail by all. Maybe make it part of the curriculum for secondary school...hell, why not start at middle school

If you dont read it, you go to jail?

Rule Britannia! on 15:24 - Aug 26 with 977 viewsarfurdent

Rule Britannia! on 14:08 - Aug 26 by geezershoong1

That's the point! Mutually Assured Destruction!

It may be a flawed premise, but unless I've missed something, we haven't had a nuclear war.

That only works if the people with their finger on the button are rational, unlike:
Trump
Putin
North Korea
Macron
India
Pakistan
Israel
Iran

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Rule Britannia! on 15:54 - Aug 26 with 969 viewskentsouthampton

How mental do you have to be to get your knickers in a twist over some songs you don't even know the words to.
Rule Britannia! on 16:12 - Aug 26 with 957 viewsJaySaint

Rule Britannia! on 15:24 - Aug 26 by arfurdent

That only works if the people with their finger on the button are rational, unlike:
Trump
Putin
North Korea
Macron
India
Pakistan
Israel
Iran

not sure why Trump is included in these.. compared nearly every other president in modern history, he has waged war the least and actually put his hand out to some awful people!

Rule Britannia! on 18:11 - Aug 26 with 932 viewsgeezershoong1

Rule Britannia! on 16:12 - Aug 26 by JaySaint

not sure why Trump is included in these.. compared nearly every other president in modern history, he has waged war the least and actually put his hand out to some awful people!

The Obama administration called the UAE - Israel peace deal 'impossible...'

Rule Britannia! on 18:33 - Aug 26 with 922 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 15:54 - Aug 26 by kentsouthampton

How mental do you have to be to get your knickers in a twist over some songs you don't even know the words to.

Everyone seems to know the bit that everyone sings in the Albert Hall. There are only a few and they have to do with ruling the waves and not being slaves.
Rule Britannia! on 20:17 - Aug 26 with 891 viewsgeezershoong1

Rule Britannia! on 18:33 - Aug 26 by Sadoldgit

Everyone seems to know the bit that everyone sings in the Albert Hall. There are only a few and they have to do with ruling the waves and not being slaves.

We were the first to outlaw slavery.

Then there was a lucrative trade in hunting ex-slave owners.

Rule Britannia! on 20:22 - Aug 26 with 886 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1327493/bbc-proms-land-of

Land of hope and glory number one in the charts. The silent majority will fight back against all this censorship. It will only cause division.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Rule Britannia! on 07:36 - Aug 27 with 856 viewsdarthvader

Rule Britannia! on 16:16 - Aug 25 by Sadoldgit

I suppose it is helpful not rubbing the slavery thing in their faces when slavery has become a massive issue.

This is the first year for 6 years that we haven’t been to the classical music concert at Leeds Castle. There is a point where they play Land of Hope and Glory along with Rule Britannia. Everyone signs along and waves little Union jacks. A Spitfire usually flies over too at some point. It’s all a bit of fun but to be honest, it is a bit outdated and embarrassing. The world has moved on, time for us to do the same. All this bollocks about ruling the waves and not being slaves just makes us look insular and rooted in the past. There is a wonderful piece of music by Holst taken from Jupiter in his Planet Suite which makes up the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country which would be much more appropriate for the current age. Maybe time for a change?

Slight off topic - The Planets is my fav ever classical piece of music. Ever since I was about 8 years old . I got a telescope at 9 and would have it playing while I looked at the stars and mainly Jupiter from my bedroom window .

My dad got it on an Lp and I used to play it over and over pretending to by an orchestra conductor (I still do when I hear it).

keep the faith coyr

Rule Britannia! on 07:46 - Aug 27 with 848 viewsarfurdent

Rule Britannia! on 16:16 - Aug 25 by Sadoldgit

I suppose it is helpful not rubbing the slavery thing in their faces when slavery has become a massive issue.

This is the first year for 6 years that we haven’t been to the classical music concert at Leeds Castle. There is a point where they play Land of Hope and Glory along with Rule Britannia. Everyone signs along and waves little Union jacks. A Spitfire usually flies over too at some point. It’s all a bit of fun but to be honest, it is a bit outdated and embarrassing. The world has moved on, time for us to do the same. All this bollocks about ruling the waves and not being slaves just makes us look insular and rooted in the past. There is a wonderful piece of music by Holst taken from Jupiter in his Planet Suite which makes up the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country which would be much more appropriate for the current age. Maybe time for a change?

Third verse:

And there's another country
I've heard of long ago
Most dear to them that love he
Most great to them that know
We may not count her armies
We may not see her KING

how sexist is that!

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Rule Britannia! on 19:39 - Aug 27 with 812 viewsBoris_

Land of Hope and Glory & Rule Britannia currently number 1 and 2 in the UK charts.

Poor old Soppy, this could tip him over the edge.

Poll: Claude Puel

Rule Britannia! on 19:48 - Aug 27 with 798 viewsDorsetIan

Rule Britannia! on 19:39 - Aug 27 by Boris_

Land of Hope and Glory & Rule Britannia currently number 1 and 2 in the UK charts.

Come on Boris, you know what the doctor said, two weeks away. Strictly cold turkey.

Have you not got someone you can call when you feel like you're about to lapse?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Rule Britannia! on 20:09 - Aug 27 with 790 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 19:39 - Aug 27 by Boris_

How many copies have you bought Doris?
Rule Britannia! on 20:49 - Aug 27 with 768 viewsgrumpy

Rule Britannia! on 19:48 - Aug 27 by DorsetIan

Come on Boris, you know what the doctor said, two weeks away. Strictly cold turkey.

Have you not got someone you can call when you feel like you're about to lapse?

On the 23rd Boris said he was unlikely to be around due to a busy couple weeks,3 days later.......
Rule Britannia! on 21:29 - Aug 27 with 740 viewsDorsetIan

Rule Britannia! on 20:49 - Aug 27 by grumpy

On the 23rd Boris said he was unlikely to be around due to a busy couple weeks,3 days later.......

He really can't help himself.

Such a shame. All that entrepreneurial and philanthropic talent wasted...
[Post edited 27 Aug 2020 21:30]

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Rule Britannia! on 23:20 - Aug 27 with 710 viewsSadoldgit

Rule Britannia! on 20:49 - Aug 27 by grumpy

I think that Dominic Cummings had seen potential in our Boris and offered him a job as chief PR adviser............but then did a u-turn.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024