Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict 09:00 - Sep 13 with 1871 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/52888/saints-at-crystal-

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 09:10 - Sep 13 with 1612 viewsButty101

Not sure what game you were watching? The goal was down to Romeu not the defence. Up front we were slow and pedestrian. We could have played all night and not scored. A very disappointing team performance.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 09:53 - Sep 13 with 1571 viewsJaySaint

pretty rubbish game. I think too many got hooked on our form post lockdown.
we are not that good.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 10:35 - Sep 13 with 1518 viewssaintwizzler

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 09:10 - Sep 13 by Butty101

Not sure what game you were watching? The goal was down to Romeu not the defence. Up front we were slow and pedestrian. We could have played all night and not scored. A very disappointing team performance.

Zaha was unmarked.
Same old story

The width yesterday seemed to come from the FBs.
KWP was so far up the pitch when Zaha scored he couldn’t get back.
A strange team set up. Surely Redmond on the right and Djenepo on the left?
Too many CMs Ralph!

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 11:00 - Sep 13 with 1492 viewsSalisburySaint

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 10:35 - Sep 13 by saintwizzler

Zaha was unmarked.
Same old story

The width yesterday seemed to come from the FBs.
KWP was so far up the pitch when Zaha scored he couldn’t get back.
A strange team set up. Surely Redmond on the right and Djenepo on the left?
Too many CMs Ralph!

Both Walker Peters and Bertrand were in front of Romeu, because we were attacking, but Romeu’s poor pass then left Stephens and Bentenak exposed , you can’t blame them for the goal all down to poor pass and possibly us being too attacking
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 14:28 - Sep 13 with 1402 viewsSaintsforeverj

Agree Nick. An experienced leader at the back would make a positive difference to the team. The experienced defence of Palace, really showed didn't it. But who is at fault for not bringing in an experienced defender? I would be really interested to know Nick, if you think it is Ralph, or is it the skint owner, demanding that we only buy young players that can make a profit? I share your frustration but then don't understand why you then don't go further and place any blame on who you think should be bringing in that elusive defender that you have been demanding?

You are rightly imo frustrated, but who is to blame?
[Post edited 13 Sep 2020 14:30]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 16:01 - Sep 13 with 1346 viewssaintwizzler

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 11:00 - Sep 13 by SalisburySaint

Both Walker Peters and Bertrand were in front of Romeu, because we were attacking, but Romeu’s poor pass then left Stephens and Bentenak exposed , you can’t blame them for the goal all down to poor pass and possibly us being too attacking

No you can’t blame them. They were doing as instructed.
I thought we might of played with two wide midfielders to give the width.
Our CBs need help at the best of times.
Zaha and Townsend ain’t no mugs and to give them free range is suicide.

Townsend assist and Zaha goal says it all!

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 18:46 - Sep 13 with 1300 viewsarfurdent

fooking useless

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 11:11 - Sep 14 with 1146 viewsDorsetIan

Hodgson got his tactics right (defend deep and wait for a chance). We got caught in possession on the halfway line (Bednarak, Romeu & Redmond combining). KWP was very far forward so couldn't cover Saha. A pinpoint cross. A simple clinical finish. Going forward Redmond was disappointing and we missed Armstrong. Few options on the bench to change things.

But could easily have been 1-1.

We've bounced back from worse than this!

What it did show is that imo we've got nowhere near enough creative options in midfield to let Boufal go.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Login to get fewer ads

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 11:22 - Sep 14 with 1131 viewsSonicBoom

We seem to have developed a good way of playing in certain games and against teams that will come on to us - whether that's City, Spurs or whoever and we got great results.

Unfortunately other teams have seen this. Hodgson decided to let us have the ball and we struggled to break them down. He won't care that we had 70% possession. If they don't have the ball then we can't press them into making mistakes.

The next step for us as a team is surely to find ways to break down teams that sit deep against us and let us have the ball. It's a compliment to us really that they do it.
But then I seem to remember that we've had this issue for years. Pochettino teams used to have 70% possession and we wouldn't win and Koeman often did the same.
Trouble is those game changing players are usually the expensive ones.
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 12:03 - Sep 14 with 1113 viewsSaintNick

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 09:10 - Sep 13 by Butty101

We may have given the ball away, but that isnt where the main fault lies, it is in our inability again to deal with a situation on the break, teams lose possession all the time, they dont get carved open though every time.

I have looked at the replay, Romeu has got back to cover, when they cross the half way line we have romeu covering back, Bednarek is covering but seems to have no idea what is behind him, 15 yards from the area Stephens is running back with Zaha, who then peels off and goes left, Stephens ball watches and goes in the opposite direction leaving Zaha completely unmarked.

By the time he realises it is too late we have let their most dangerous man just run off and do what he wants.

Perhaps Stephens is a decent player, but what he clearly isnt is a reader of the game and an organiser, Bednarek is the stopping player, Stephens needs to be marshalling the defence and he can't seem to do that

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 12:32 - Sep 14 with 1082 viewsNumber_58

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 12:03 - Sep 14 by SaintNick

We may have given the ball away, but that isnt where the main fault lies, it is in our inability again to deal with a situation on the break, teams lose possession all the time, they dont get carved open though every time.

I have looked at the replay, Romeu has got back to cover, when they cross the half way line we have romeu covering back, Bednarek is covering but seems to have no idea what is behind him, 15 yards from the area Stephens is running back with Zaha, who then peels off and goes left, Stephens ball watches and goes in the opposite direction leaving Zaha completely unmarked.

By the time he realises it is too late we have let their most dangerous man just run off and do what he wants.

Perhaps Stephens is a decent player, but what he clearly isnt is a reader of the game and an organiser, Bednarek is the stopping player, Stephens needs to be marshalling the defence and he can't seem to do that

Nick you've lost the plot. Stephens was left marking two players. In that situation I'm not sure what he's meant to do. What you seem to be seeking from our defenders is total perfection. Unfortunately not even 80 million quid buys you that. Did you see VVD's horrendous balls-up? And Maguire has been all over the place at times recently. Our defenders have their limitations but considering their respective values and footballing backgrounds they aren't half as bad as you make out.

Also, you've been banging on about us needing this fabled defensive 'leader' for years now. If you truly believe that's what the club is lacking surely it's time to stop writing repetitive match reports slagging off Jack Stephens and actually write some stuff criticising the manager who keeps selecting him every week, or better still, the club for failing to go out and buy said leader.
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 13:19 - Sep 14 with 1049 viewsSaintNick

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 12:32 - Sep 14 by Number_58

Nick you've lost the plot. Stephens was left marking two players. In that situation I'm not sure what he's meant to do. What you seem to be seeking from our defenders is total perfection. Unfortunately not even 80 million quid buys you that. Did you see VVD's horrendous balls-up? And Maguire has been all over the place at times recently. Our defenders have their limitations but considering their respective values and footballing backgrounds they aren't half as bad as you make out.

Also, you've been banging on about us needing this fabled defensive 'leader' for years now. If you truly believe that's what the club is lacking surely it's time to stop writing repetitive match reports slagging off Jack Stephens and actually write some stuff criticising the manager who keeps selecting him every week, or better still, the club for failing to go out and buy said leader.

I have watched the replay several times

Romeu is chasing down the wide man who crosses, Bednarek seems to be caught in two minds and doesnt seem to know whether to go across to cover Romeu or stick with his man.

Zaha makes a run away from Stephens, Stephens should have gone with him, Stephens runs back and it looks to a degree like he is marking Bednareks man, but he has ball watched.

The danger man is Zaha and he has just let him go.

I am not saying Stephens was completely culpable, but truth is no one had took charge of the situation, Bednarek and Stephens ball watched and the upshot was that Zaha was unmarked at the far post, in this attack he was Stephens man.

I have criticised the club for not buying a "leader" where you happy with the goal conceded, did you think it was just briliant play by Palace then.

I would love to stop writing the same thing week in week out, the only reason i get to do so is because it keeps happening.

I have crticised the club and manager for not buying some experience, I cant criticise Hasenhuttl for selecting him though as there was no one better to play with the only other choice being vestergaard.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 14:00 - Sep 14 with 1012 viewsDorsetIan

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 13:19 - Sep 14 by SaintNick

Romeu is chasing down the wide man who crosses, Bednarek seems to be caught in two minds and doesnt seem to know whether to go across to cover Romeu or stick with his man.

Zaha makes a run away from Stephens, Stephens should have gone with him, Stephens runs back and it looks to a degree like he is marking Bednareks man, but he has ball watched.

I am not saying Stephens was completely culpable, but truth is no one had took charge of the situation, Bednarek and Stephens ball watched and the upshot was that Zaha was unmarked at the far post, in this attack he was Stephens man.

I have criticised the club for not buying a "leader" where you happy with the goal conceded, did you think it was just briliant play by Palace then.

I would love to stop writing the same thing week in week out, the only reason i get to do so is because it keeps happening.

I have crticised the club and manager for not buying some experience, I cant criticise Hasenhuttl for selecting him though as there was no one better to play with the only other choice being vestergaard.

It's harsh to criticise the defenders when they are 2 against 3. Townsend is quick and he was already past Romeu. Had Stephens gone with Saha, he'd have left a massive space in the middle.

It's easy in retrospective to see that Stephens was nowhere near the end of Townsend's cross, but Townsend had more than one option, all of which they were trying to cover.

The error was giving the ball away when so many were committed forward.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 14:16 - Sep 14 with 989 viewsSaintsforeverj

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 12:03 - Sep 14 by SaintNick

So why haven't they been replaced? Your opinion is that Stephens and perhaps our defence are average and need reinforcements, so why hasn't the club done anything about it, do you think? Lack of investment in the team? Skint owner? Bad management?

I agree with you that an experienced defender added, would help us. But it wouldn't fit the Southampton way, and therefore the club refuses to buy a player that is older than 24 as they wouldn't have a sell on value. That is the Southampton way, set by the owner. Who do you blame for not getting in the experienced defender you ask for?
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 14:39]

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 14:18 - Sep 14 with 982 viewssaintwizzler

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 14:16 - Sep 14 by Saintsforeverj

So why haven't they been replaced? Your opinion is that Stephens and perhaps our defence are average and need reinforcements, so why hasn't the club done anything about it, do you think? Lack of investment in the team? Skint owner? Bad management?

I agree with you that an experienced defender added, would help us. But it wouldn't fit the Southampton way, and therefore the club refuses to buy a player that is older than 24 as they wouldn't have a sell on value. That is the Southampton way, set by the owner. Who do you blame for not getting in the experienced defender you ask for?
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 14:39]

There has been investment in this area.

Hoedt, Vestergaard and Danso!!

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 14:20 - Sep 14 with 979 viewsSaintsforeverj

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 14:18 - Sep 14 by saintwizzler

There has been investment in this area.

Hoedt, Vestergaard and Danso!!

They are not experienced defenders! Although Ves is growing on me to be fair.

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 17:22 - Sep 14 with 908 viewsNumber_58

If Stephens had tried to mark Zaha and the cross had gone to the other chap you would have gone into meltdown. Other players make mistakes on a regular basis, some of which lead to goals, but you never reserve the same sort of criticism for them. In fact, you hardly ever mention anyone else's mistakes. Your obsession with the central defence, Jack Stephens in particular, is bizarre and slightly worrying. Do you analyse other club's defenders in such microscopic detail as you do ours?

And as for all the articles condemning the club for not buying that elusive 'leader' of yours, i must have missed those.
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 17:47 - Sep 14 with 893 viewsSaintsforeverj

Saints would benefit from an experienced defender like Cahill for example. Most would agree with that.

We can't afford him because of our skint owner.

We won't buy any player aged over 24 because that is against the "Southampton way" directed by the owner. They are obsessed with only buying players that will have a sell on value.

So where are the articles blaming our owner for the lack of buying an experienced defender since the Puel days? Where are the articles showing sympathy for fans just as fed up as you, for not investing where necessary?

Stephens is all we have. It's not his fault, he tries his best. It's presumably not Ralph's fault for not being given any resources to improve the team. So who is to blame? I know this question won't and doesn't get answered because it would mean criticising the owner you support.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2020 17:57]

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 19:20 - Sep 14 with 854 views1885_SFC

At the end of the day - we're Southampton. We're not dogsh*t - but we're not top 10 either.

Welcome to another season of... meh.

Old School is Cool

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 07:49 - Sep 15 with 736 views10i

In my opinion most of you have valid points...

Our style of play will always result in our defense to be a bit exposed on times and defend one on one as a result - but doing so the CDs have to minimize the chances of the opponent to score, which they did not do on that occasion. Some say Stephens was left to mark two opponents, but in fact he didn't even mark one, as in the end he left both wide open. I think as the one overseeing the situation Stephens should have marked Zaha and organise Bednarek, who didn't seem to know what to do and would have needed some advice, and tell him to come more inside to the second attacker. Marking noone for sure won't minimize anything, so it was poor judgement to deal with it like that. And this is by far more of problem than losing the ball in the opponent half. The fact he did let run Zaha through without any fight twice in the second half does result in a very poor performance in the end...
I don't blame Romeu for losing the ball before the goal, as in my opinion it is Redmonds job to deal with passes like that and shield the ball - he did not. Everybody is screaming for forward passes, but of course the offensive players have to deal with the pressure of being marked when receiving it. As I saw it, Redmond and Smallbone were the main culprits for our attacking game being quite flaw as neither managed any useful contribution for the whole game.
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 08:06 - Sep 15 with 727 viewssaint22

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 19:20 - Sep 14 by 1885_SFC

At the end of the day - we're Southampton. We're not dogsh*t - but we're not top 10 either.

Welcome to another season of... meh.

spot on
Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 11:13 - Sep 15 with 689 viewsButty101

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 07:49 - Sep 15 by 10i

In my opinion most of you have valid points...

Our style of play will always result in our defense to be a bit exposed on times and defend one on one as a result - but doing so the CDs have to minimize the chances of the opponent to score, which they did not do on that occasion. Some say Stephens was left to mark two opponents, but in fact he didn't even mark one, as in the end he left both wide open. I think as the one overseeing the situation Stephens should have marked Zaha and organise Bednarek, who didn't seem to know what to do and would have needed some advice, and tell him to come more inside to the second attacker. Marking noone for sure won't minimize anything, so it was poor judgement to deal with it like that. And this is by far more of problem than losing the ball in the opponent half. The fact he did let run Zaha through without any fight twice in the second half does result in a very poor performance in the end...
I don't blame Romeu for losing the ball before the goal, as in my opinion it is Redmonds job to deal with passes like that and shield the ball - he did not. Everybody is screaming for forward passes, but of course the offensive players have to deal with the pressure of being marked when receiving it. As I saw it, Redmond and Smallbone were the main culprits for our attacking game being quite flaw as neither managed any useful contribution for the whole game.

Redmond is very hot and cold. When hes hot hes a worldbeater. When hes not he dosent offer much at all.

Hes basically at his level.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 21:09 - Sep 15 with 610 views1885_SFC

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 11:13 - Sep 15 by Butty101

Redmond is very hot and cold. When hes hot hes a worldbeater. When hes not he dosent offer much at all.

Hes basically at his level.

I love Redmond when he's on form. He's great to watch. But on Saturday, he was the most disappointing player in a Saints shirt... which just frustrates & annoys me in equal measure.

Old School is Cool

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 21:37 - Sep 15 with 590 viewssaintwizzler

Redmond a worldbeater?
Come on!!
Mid table EPL player.

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 21:42 - Sep 15 with 587 viewsTripleNiemi

Saints At Crystal Palace The Verdict on 21:37 - Sep 15 by saintwizzler

Redmond a worldbeater?
Come on!!
Mid table EPL player.

That high?

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024