Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC - time to make them subscription based? 16:48 - Sep 15 with 5731 viewsBazza

A casual glance at the BBC richest salaries shows a complete disregard for their pledge to cut costs. 15 to 30% increases are commonplace. The latest table also excludes incomes from BBC Studios, their commercial business so Doctor Who excluded. Half the top ten are radio presenters! Lineker has a new 5 year contract (why the heck) still the highest, though with a 20% pay cut. The new head honcho Tim Davie has got a big task ahead.

In my whole career I've never seen such increases other than for rare generous promotions up to seriously senior roles with extensive responsibilities.

Shame on the Beeb, no wonder people over 75 now have to pay for their licenses.

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:18 - Sep 15 with 3543 viewsKennington

The radio thing is frankly bizarre. These are after all people that play records and talk gibberish. Basically no one should be getting more than £50k a year to do that.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:55 - Sep 15 with 3520 viewsSadoldgit

The BBC have to compete with privately funded staff and have to pay top dollar to get good people. You may not think that Gary Lineker is a top sports presenter but they clearly do and Match of the Day has been a top football programme for decades. I don’t disagree that many people are overpaid compared to others but then people get paid a great deal more for kicking a football around.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:58 - Sep 15 with 3520 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

The license fee is ridiculous and the BBC's output has definitely declined in recent years.

It should've been subscription based years ago, the "TV tax" should be stopped.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:02 - Sep 15 with 3511 viewsJaySaint

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:58 - Sep 15 by Gennaro_Contaldo

The license fee is ridiculous and the BBC's output has definitely declined in recent years.

It should've been subscription based years ago, the "TV tax" should be stopped.

Absolutely. Then you get Linekar gloating on social media.

BBC had a head start (in the UK at least) on Netflix et al. It had the iPlayer and loads of classic content. It should have seen the market and dominated the UK early on.

instead, it carried on as the mess it is

Just to re-cap...

Zoe Ball will earn...

£3,739.72

..today and every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, courtesy of YOUR BBC licence fee.

How can that be right? Is she REALLY an IRREPLACEABLE, UNIQUE talent, doing a job THAT NO ONE ELSE COULD DO for £100k?
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 18:15]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:48 - Sep 15 with 3469 viewsBazza

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:02 - Sep 15 by JaySaint

BBC had a head start (in the UK at least) on Netflix et al. It had the iPlayer and loads of classic content. It should have seen the market and dominated the UK early on.

Just to re-cap...

Zoe Ball will earn...

£3,739.72

..today and every day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, courtesy of YOUR BBC licence fee.

How can that be right? Is she REALLY an IRREPLACEABLE, UNIQUE talent, doing a job THAT NO ONE ELSE COULD DO for £100k?

Oh and that doesn’t include her salary for strictly take 2 appearances!!!
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:58 - Sep 15 with 3462 viewsKennington

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:55 - Sep 15 by Sadoldgit

The BBC have to compete with privately funded staff and have to pay top dollar to get good people. You may not think that Gary Lineker is a top sports presenter but they clearly do and Match of the Day has been a top football programme for decades. I don’t disagree that many people are overpaid compared to others but then people get paid a great deal more for kicking a football around.

It doesn’t have to “compete” as I always understood that the BBC’s charter means they don’t have a responsibility to chase ratings or talent. All they have to do is varied and decent quality tv and radio. I have no interest in people like Zoe Ball or Gary Lineker and if they were replaced by up and coming talent on £50k that would be fine with me. If then Sky poached them, then there’ll be more youngsters wanting exposure coming through. Call it the Southampton Way model.

On an aside it particularly irks me when I see London busses with BBC ads or other advertising of BBC programmes, as this is a complete waste of money for a public broadcaster. One day I’ll write that complaint letter to Points of View.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2020 18:59]

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 23:23 - Sep 15 with 3339 viewsSadoldgit

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 18:02 - Sep 15 by JaySaint

Just to re-cap...

Zoe Ball will earn...

£3,739.72

The license fee costs us 43p a day. This evening I spent £31 on two nothing special pub grub meals, a pint and a ginger ale. Do you know what DJs and presenters earn on private radio and tv channels?
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 23:33 - Sep 15 with 3329 viewsBison

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 23:23 - Sep 15 by Sadoldgit

The license fee costs us 43p a day. This evening I spent £31 on two nothing special pub grub meals, a pint and a ginger ale. Do you know what DJs and presenters earn on private radio and tv channels?

Did you leave a tip ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Login to get fewer ads

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 06:19 - Sep 16 with 3289 viewsJaySaint

Were you forced to eat in the pub...were you faced with legal action if you did not eat in the pub?

I don't know the answer but I do wonder if (like Zoe Ball) a DJ in the private sector would be awarded a £1,000,000 annual pay rise whilst losing circa 1m listeners?
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 6:25]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 07:15 - Sep 16 with 3253 viewsKennington

Doesn’t matter what other radio stations pay, because working for the BBC would give unique exposure that I’m sure many would take a pay cut to do. Also part of the reason why commercial radio pay a lot is because they compete with the BBC and this inflates the whole market. I don’t believe that if a new person replaced Zoe Ball that everyone would turn off radio 2, and if they did does that really matter?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 08:00 - Sep 16 with 3213 viewsSadoldgit

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 06:19 - Sep 16 by JaySaint

Were you forced to eat in the pub...were you faced with legal action if you did not eat in the pub?

I don't know the answer but I do wonder if (like Zoe Ball) a DJ in the private sector would be awarded a £1,000,000 annual pay rise whilst losing circa 1m listeners?
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 6:25]

I’m talking about value for money. Do we use or are we ever going to use Trident? Childless people don’t send their children to school but still pay for them. We all contribute to many parts of the fabrics of society that we seldom or sometimes never use. The BBC is used by millions every day.

As for Zoe Ball, it would appear that she has received a £1 pay raise for every listener that she has lost. The issue with her for me is not that she has had her pay re-evaluated but that she should have her position re-evaluated.

Over the years I can think of a lot more top people who have left the BBC for ITV than vice versa. Money has often been given as a reason.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 8:14]
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 09:33 - Sep 16 with 3170 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Yes and if YOU think that is good value, then it should be subscription based to allow you to choose to pay it. Not a blanket tax.

I wouldn't pay it.

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 09:46 - Sep 16 with 3156 viewsSadoldgit

If it goes to a subscription based system the chances are that the rates will be much higher than they are now and the BBC will have to cut many of its services.

I know I keep saying it, but I think that Trident is a waste of money but I have to pay for it whether I like it or not.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:00 - Sep 16 with 3150 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 09:46 - Sep 16 by Sadoldgit

If it goes to a subscription based system the chances are that the rates will be much higher than they are now and the BBC will have to cut many of its services.

I know I keep saying it, but I think that Trident is a waste of money but I have to pay for it whether I like it or not.

But you're talking about essential public services paid for by direct taxation vs a broadcaster that is not an essential public service, under the guise of a 'TV license', which most people in the country would opt out of.

Cut backs, good - they waste so much money on trash such as BBC three.

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:06 - Sep 16 with 3143 viewsSadoldgit

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:00 - Sep 16 by Gennaro_Contaldo

But you're talking about essential public services paid for by direct taxation vs a broadcaster that is not an essential public service, under the guise of a 'TV license', which most people in the country would opt out of.

Cut backs, good - they waste so much money on trash such as BBC three.

I would say that the BBC provides a greater public service than Trident but hey, each to their own.

Perhaps we should have a referendum on whether to keep the licence fee or not?
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:20 - Sep 16 with 3137 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:06 - Sep 16 by Sadoldgit

I would say that the BBC provides a greater public service than Trident but hey, each to their own.

Perhaps we should have a referendum on whether to keep the licence fee or not?

A complete waste of public money. Just make it subscription based, that is a way of letting people vote, without wasting public money.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/bbc-hits-back-poll-showing-majority-of-uk-adults-supp

"BBC chairman Sir David Clementi has warned that much less money would go to the BBC’s regional TV and radio services, children’s programming would have to be cut, and that events like Royal weddings and the Olympic Games would no longer be accessible to all for free."

- Regional TV: So what? I don't get any regional TV, I live in North Hampshire and we're stuck on irrelevant London crap.
- Radio: Commercial stations are better than Radio 1.
- Children's TV: There are some reasonable baby and toddler programmes, but only a couple and even then there are MANY other channels with children's programming
- No royal weddings: I thought all the anti-establishment would love that? haha - a definite "so what".
- Olympics: Once every 4 years and it didn't happen this year anyway. If people REALLY like the Olympics that much, they will subscribe to it.

There is only one programme I watch on the BBC, Gardener's World and occasionally they'll do a drama that is reasonable. If I wanted to watch them that much, I would subscribe and pay to watch them.

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:21 - Sep 16 with 3133 viewsDorsetIan

I don't know why the BBC isn't treated with the same respect as the NHS.

We don't have too many 'world beating' public institutions in this country but the BBC is one of them.

I personally like the Radio - I listen to 2,3,4,5,6 and even 1 with my son the other day + Solent - and BBC website is brilliant too.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:48 - Sep 16 with 3127 viewsChesham_Saint

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 08:00 - Sep 16 by Sadoldgit

I’m talking about value for money. Do we use or are we ever going to use Trident? Childless people don’t send their children to school but still pay for them. We all contribute to many parts of the fabrics of society that we seldom or sometimes never use. The BBC is used by millions every day.

As for Zoe Ball, it would appear that she has received a £1 pay raise for every listener that she has lost. The issue with her for me is not that she has had her pay re-evaluated but that she should have her position re-evaluated.

Over the years I can think of a lot more top people who have left the BBC for ITV than vice versa. Money has often been given as a reason.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2020 8:14]

The whole point about Trident is that it’s not meant to be used Soggs.

In any event, there is no commercial justification that I’ve seen for paying the likes of Zoe Ball a million quid a year. None.

There are thousands of people in the U.K. and beyond who are smart, articulate and charismatic enough to fill most of the so-called ‘talent’ slots at a public service broadcaster.

Likewise sport, each year hundreds of athletes, footballers, cricketers etc retire and there must be a healthy pool of talent to replace the likes of Lineker.

In short, either the BBC gets realistic, or gets defunded.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 11:01 - Sep 16 with 3115 viewsSadoldgit

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:48 - Sep 16 by Chesham_Saint

In any event, there is no commercial justification that I’ve seen for paying the likes of Zoe Ball a million quid a year. None.

There are thousands of people in the U.K. and beyond who are smart, articulate and charismatic enough to fill most of the so-called ‘talent’ slots at a public service broadcaster.

Likewise sport, each year hundreds of athletes, footballers, cricketers etc retire and there must be a healthy pool of talent to replace the likes of Lineker.

I understand that, but given the huge amount of money we spend on it, it makes it even more ridiculous.

Zoe Ball is a small issue. The funding of the BBC a bigger one. Probably too big for Jounson and Cummings to decide, hence a national referendum.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 11:16 - Sep 16 with 3104 viewsgeezershoong1

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 17:55 - Sep 15 by Sadoldgit

'You may not think that Gary Lineker is a top sports presenter but they clearly do'.

That's part of the problem right there.

Poll: England are playing tonight - would you rather...

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 11:23 - Sep 16 with 3099 viewsDorsetIan

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 10:48 - Sep 16 by Chesham_Saint

Zoe Ball is very extreme example. She's been around for a long time and is very good, so I'm sure she's in demand but...

Let's drop down the pay list a bit.

Stephen Nolan £390K
Nicky Campbell £290K

Both of these are absolutely excellent broadcasters and, for people at the top of their game in a profession, I don't begrudge them their money. They are part of what makes R5 such a quality station. Start capping salaries and you might unearth a few new gems but you'll end of with a lot of presentational dross too.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 11:34 - Sep 16 with 3092 viewsBison

Use to like BBC Solents match day commentary but now every game is streamed I don't listen to that so much and what is strange is that you can't listen to it on the internet so when I lived away or away on holiday you can't listen to it.

SoG's can prob confirm that being an ex-pat living away.

News - I use Sky
Radio - Absolute or LBC
Sport - they rarely have anything of interest compared to other channels
Entertainment - again very rarely watch anything they produce as so many other options.

But saying that I think it does produce a service for the old'uns so don't begrudge them the BBC.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:20 - Sep 16 with 3075 views1885_SFC

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 09:46 - Sep 16 by Sadoldgit

But there's an argument that you are able to sit comfortably at home in the evenings watching BBC because we have Trident.

Old School is Cool

BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:35 - Sep 16 with 3054 viewsfranniesTache

Having lived in other countries i'd protect the BBC with my last breath, it's an exceptional institution, it provides content that is peerless in the world, across multiple channels (media channels not tv channels) and drives innovation in this country and worldwide.

For £157(ish) a year we get all of the tv services, we get all the radio services, we get a plethora of digital services, we get funding of new drama, film and documentary, and sports coverage that goes well beyond just football.

Plus it provides huge amounts of jobs across the country due to it's local content teams and the production hubs in manchester and london.

Does the BBC produce stuff i don't like? Absolutely.
Do i think some of the TV output has got worse in recent times? Without a shadow of a doubt.
Do i think it is a standard barer for quality across the world and work as some of the best marketing of the UK we have? 100%

Many of us might not think it now but i guarantee you if it went you'd miss it and the country would be a poorer place without it here.
BBC - time to make them subscription based? on 12:40 - Sep 16 with 3050 viewsWints76

The time has probably come that the Beeb will end up being a subscription service, but I do think it offers me value for money for what I pay. 6Music seems to have been tailor made for my age group, the dramas and documentaries it produdes are still the envy of the world (though other big budget companies are catching up) and the website and educational areas are excellent. My eldest used to struggle with his maths and the BBC education site was exceptional.

I am reading a book about Public Services at the moment by Stuart Maconie (a lot more interesting than it sounds, he is one of the good guys), and he states that many commercial radio and television companies may not want adverts on the beeb as they may see their own revenue streams vastly diluted as their advertisers have to choose where to advertise.

I think if the Conservatives have as strong a majority after the next election, it may well happen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024