Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is that it then? 20:56 - Oct 5 with 2335 viewssaint22

Diallo and Walcott? Would have liked another CB really......
Is that it then? on 10:53 - Oct 6 with 649 viewssolent_toffee

Is that it then? on 10:11 - Oct 6 by SonicBoom

Seriously?
you would only take Ings who very nearly won the golden boot last year, but he would be on your bench. But you would take any of our three shite keepers?? Really?

Have you seen Pickford?

Ancelotti plays with three up top and Everton’s forward line is Richarlison, DCL, Rodríguez. As good as i think Ings is, I wouldn’t change that. Ings for DCL would be the only possibility and I wouldn’t at the moment.

It’s like fantasty football this
Is that it then? on 11:06 - Oct 6 with 627 viewsButty101

Is that it then? on 10:53 - Oct 6 by solent_toffee

Have you seen Pickford?

Ancelotti plays with three up top and Everton’s forward line is Richarlison, DCL, Rodríguez. As good as i think Ings is, I wouldn’t change that. Ings for DCL would be the only possibility and I wouldn’t at the moment.

Bearing in mind we finished above you last season and we are only 4 games into the season...

From the two teams.
McCarthy,
KWP,
Bertand,
Keane
Mina
JWP
Doucouré
Armstong/Sigurdsson
Rodríguez
Ings
Richardlson

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Is that it then? on 11:33 - Oct 6 with 612 viewsIanSouthstander

Is that it then? on 10:53 - Oct 6 by solent_toffee

Have you seen Pickford?

Don't get carried away ST. You have had probably the best transfer window admittedly. But you could not of hand picked an easier 4 teams to start the season off with.
I mean , Brighton,West Ham,Palace and West Brom. All teams that finished below the both of us last season and you would of expected to pick up points against. True, you can only beat whats in front of you, but sterner tests will come. I believe your next game is against Liverpool, and i wouldn't want to be the team that plays them next after their mauling at the weekend. You then have the little matter of facing us at ST Marys.
If you still have a 100% record after those two games I'll take my hat off to you. You will have a good season, finish above us and improve upon last season for sure. But i can't see you quite making the European positions.
Is that it then? on 13:39 - Oct 6 with 579 viewssolent_toffee

Is that it then? on 11:33 - Oct 6 by IanSouthstander

Don't get carried away ST. You have had probably the best transfer window admittedly. But you could not of hand picked an easier 4 teams to start the season off with.
I mean , Brighton,West Ham,Palace and West Brom. All teams that finished below the both of us last season and you would of expected to pick up points against. True, you can only beat whats in front of you, but sterner tests will come. I believe your next game is against Liverpool, and i wouldn't want to be the team that plays them next after their mauling at the weekend. You then have the little matter of facing us at ST Marys.
If you still have a 100% record after those two games I'll take my hat off to you. You will have a good season, finish above us and improve upon last season for sure. But i can't see you quite making the European positions.

Tottenham away was a pretty tough game as was Palace away. Admittedly West Brom are struggling to adapt to the league, but Brighton are decent these days.

I’m not getting carried away at all, just liking what I see for the first time in about twenty odd year, probably longer actually
Is that it then? on 13:56 - Oct 6 with 570 viewsBicester_North

Is that it then? on 11:06 - Oct 6 by Butty101

Bearing in mind we finished above you last season and we are only 4 games into the season...

From the two teams.
McCarthy,
KWP,
Bertand,
Keane
Mina
JWP
Doucouré
Armstong/Sigurdsson
Rodríguez
Ings
Richardlson

Probably Allan for JWP

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Is that it then? on 13:59 - Oct 6 with 568 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Is that it then? on 13:56 - Oct 6 by Bicester_North

Probably Allan for JWP

Forum calling 'I_would" ...

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Is that it then? on 15:15 - Oct 6 with 537 viewsI_would

Is that it then? on 13:59 - Oct 6 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Forum calling 'I_would" ...

Mickey Mouse would come in front surely.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

Is that it then? on 18:07 - Oct 6 with 502 viewsIanSouthstander

Is that it then? on 13:39 - Oct 6 by solent_toffee

Tottenham away was a pretty tough game as was Palace away. Admittedly West Brom are struggling to adapt to the league, but Brighton are decent these days.

I’m not getting carried away at all, just liking what I see for the first time in about twenty odd year, probably longer actually

Oh Tottenham. I missed them. Fair play then.
Login to get fewer ads

Is that it then? on 18:40 - Oct 6 with 481 viewsBerber

Is that it then? on 23:46 - Oct 5 by DorsetIan

The only reason this could described as a ‘good window’ is in contrast to the previous ones.

We’ve let Boufal and Carrillo go for free.

We’ve brought in too young unknowns (recent examples: Djenepo, Danso).

And a guy (on loan) who chose Everton over us not so long ago and who now can’t command a place in that team (that finished below us last season).

Don’t get me wrong, hope all the new players turn out to be brilliant signings, but currently I am underwhelmed.

Oh and unless I’m very much mistaken Gao is still in charge...

We have probably spent the best part of £40m and recovered less than £30m from sales and loans. Given that Gao would probably get the chop (literally) if he breaches the Chinese restrictions on sending money abroad, and that ticket sale will be very low this season, I'd say a net £10m investment and the resources we have acquired is not bad. Not what I'd have liked, but not bad.
Is that it then? on 21:59 - Oct 6 with 420 viewsDorsetIan

Is that it then? on 18:40 - Oct 6 by Berber

We have probably spent the best part of £40m and recovered less than £30m from sales and loans. Given that Gao would probably get the chop (literally) if he breaches the Chinese restrictions on sending money abroad, and that ticket sale will be very low this season, I'd say a net £10m investment and the resources we have acquired is not bad. Not what I'd have liked, but not bad.

Bare minimum at this level (if that).

The fact that Gao can't spend any money is what makes him a terrible owner - it doesn't excuse him.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Is that it then? on 22:07 - Oct 6 with 412 viewssolent_toffee

Is that it then? on 18:07 - Oct 6 by IanSouthstander

Oh Tottenham. I missed them. Fair play then.

To be fair, they looked like a bag of shite until they played Saints
Is that it then? on 22:36 - Oct 6 with 396 viewsSaintNick

Is that it then? on 21:59 - Oct 6 by DorsetIan

Bare minimum at this level (if that).

The fact that Gao can't spend any money is what makes him a terrible owner - it doesn't excuse him.

That he cant make money out of China doesnt make him a terrible owner just a victim of circumstance.

If he had splashed the cash before the embargo then we would be in deep financial trouble now,

But he didn't he continued Markus's strategy of running the club as a business and that meant when he couldn't get money in we weren't in financial trouble and didn't have to sell half our team to survive.

If Gao sells up now he sells a club in better shape than it was when he took over, he has revamped those running the club, got it running as a business and put people in charge who know about the game.

Of course that doesn't fit with the popularist view who take no account of the situation and just look at how much he has put in.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Is that it then? on 22:50 - Oct 6 with 385 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Is that it then? on 22:36 - Oct 6 by SaintNick

That he cant make money out of China doesnt make him a terrible owner just a victim of circumstance.

If he had splashed the cash before the embargo then we would be in deep financial trouble now,

But he didn't he continued Markus's strategy of running the club as a business and that meant when he couldn't get money in we weren't in financial trouble and didn't have to sell half our team to survive.

If Gao sells up now he sells a club in better shape than it was when he took over, he has revamped those running the club, got it running as a business and put people in charge who know about the game.

Of course that doesn't fit with the popularist view who take no account of the situation and just look at how much he has put in.

I don't get the hate for Gao. He's a faceless owner who has taken nothing from the club, nor put anything in.

That's fine.

That is what the club wanted to be, self-sustaining. I mean yeah we all hope a new owner comes along, pumps money in and probably breaches FFP. But who will be the club that is penalised; it won't be Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool or even Everton, it'll be Saints because that's just the club we support.

But then, do I really want some new owner to come along and spunk £100m on transfers? All that will happen is we'll end up with a load of money grabbers and helmet fans who think Saints should be challenging the top 4.

All I ask for is to support a normal club that bloodies the nose of the big guys occasionally as that's fun, brings youth through and in my lifetime "doing a Leicester" would be fine. Just once.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Is that it then? on 22:52 - Oct 6 with 384 viewsSaintsforeverj

The Gao situation is an interesting one. There is something very curious about building a good team, without spending much. I very much applaud Ralph for being the "perfect" manager under Gao's ownership, bringing through young players and wheeling and dealing. Under Gao, would Hughes, Pellegrino or even Poch and Koeman produced a competitive team, without having any money to spend? I doubt it. Is Gao getting away with it because of Ralph? But if we get results on the pitch, it does make you think. But I still think teams like Everton have the ambition to win things. We don't.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Is that it then? on 23:06 - Oct 6 with 369 viewsDorsetIan

I hear what you are saying and in answer to GC I don't 'hate' Gao, I just think - objectively speaking - he's a terrible owner, because of the cash constraints that his stewardship has brought.

And it is perfectly possible for him to be a 'victim of circumstance' and a terrible owner. In fact, maybe he's a terrible owner BECAUSE he's a victim of circumstances. As I say, it isn't personal and maybe he can't personally be blamed for his financial straight jacket. I really don't care about the reasons for his difficulties.

The last few windows have been really poor. This one was a bit better but nothing to get excited about.

And I think this league is becoming more competitive. Teams like Villa and Leeds will see themselves as belonging in the top flight and they and others are showing lots of ambition. If we want to stay in this league and prosper, we will simply have to match them or, eventually, the penny pinching will catch up with us. And this isn't going to happen with an owner like the one we've got.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Is that it then? on 23:47 - Oct 6 with 350 viewskernow

A massive club like Everton have history and an expectation of winning things. They have ambition to regain past glories and the financial backing to achieve those ambitions. Same with Aston Villa.
Saints are not in the same league in that sense.

The owner has stated that he would not be "fattening the pig" so can't understand the hope and expectation every transfer window and the resulting disappointment of some fans.
We're still suffering from previous poor recruitment and resultant financial constraints which are still an obstacle to ambition. There is also the mindset that a club like Saints are not likely to challenge or be competitive.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024