Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City 14:00 - Oct 15 with 11965 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/53106/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 17:43 - Oct 17 with 2416 viewsrichfoad32

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 17:35 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

I wasn't questioning commitment

Ah, apologies. I just thought that when it's said that 'people should be asking themselves questions about what they want to achieve', it implies lack of effort. My bad, sorry.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:04 - Oct 17 with 2293 viewsrochdaleriddler

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 17:35 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

I wasn't questioning commitment

Why would the players ask themselves where they want to be if their commitment was good? If they aren’t good enough that’s the clubs fault for buying/ playing them

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:14 - Oct 17 with 2255 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 17:43 - Oct 17 by richfoad32

Ah, apologies. I just thought that when it's said that 'people should be asking themselves questions about what they want to achieve', it implies lack of effort. My bad, sorry.

I can see why i might've given that impression

On the occasions when players had the opportunity to take the ball forward, they more often than not chose the easier option of offloading it to someone else. O'Connell could see this, and ended up taking on their midfield himself in the second half, trying to lead by example, but to no avail

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:33 - Oct 17 with 2157 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:14 - Oct 17 by D_Alien

I can see why i might've given that impression

On the occasions when players had the opportunity to take the ball forward, they more often than not chose the easier option of offloading it to someone else. O'Connell could see this, and ended up taking on their midfield himself in the second half, trying to lead by example, but to no avail

That's down to coaching. They are obviously taught to do it. to have almost 60% possession and have so little to show for it shows we are not training them to do the right thing. We are not Man City
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:35 - Oct 17 with 2151 views49thseason

Looks as though we are already playing in our own little mini-league with 7 or 8 teams around us. There are 8 more clubs on 6 points or less, we have the worst goal difference and are joint lowest scorers. These are the early symptoms of all our problems over the last 3 seasons not taking chances and not keeping clean sheets. . you might do OK if you only have 1 of those 2 problems but when you have both, life is inevitably hard. Tough season ahead, but I guess given all the other factors in play, getting to game 46 would be a minor miracle.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:52 - Oct 17 with 2062 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:33 - Oct 17 by Dalenet

That's down to coaching. They are obviously taught to do it. to have almost 60% possession and have so little to show for it shows we are not training them to do the right thing. We are not Man City

It's not just about coaching, and not sure what referring to Man City is about?

When we played Rotherham last game of the 2019/20 campaign (a team that hold similar credentials to Hull), players took responsibility on the ball and moved it forward whenever they had the chance. Today, most players did the opposite. I know the style of play BBM is trying to inculcate, but the players must take greater responsibility than they showed today, with one or two exceptions. Not a lack of commitment, but lack of courage and self-belief on this occasion which will need some careful management to put right

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:59 - Oct 17 with 2042 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:35 - Oct 17 by 49thseason

Looks as though we are already playing in our own little mini-league with 7 or 8 teams around us. There are 8 more clubs on 6 points or less, we have the worst goal difference and are joint lowest scorers. These are the early symptoms of all our problems over the last 3 seasons not taking chances and not keeping clean sheets. . you might do OK if you only have 1 of those 2 problems but when you have both, life is inevitably hard. Tough season ahead, but I guess given all the other factors in play, getting to game 46 would be a minor miracle.

I have not checked but i doubt our entire starting line up has scored 50 league goals between them.

BBM has been given a hugely reduced budget with the view of survival, that’s it. He might achieve it who knows, other than accy we could not expect a lot with the fixtures we had, so have done ok.

The squad is far weaker than last year, I have no idea how much influence this money ball guy is having but he is very quiet I would guess he is having some say in the signings but how much who knows.

Spoke to a Southend fan this morning and he thinks they won’t see the end of November, things very bleak there and rumours of player revolt. Our initial bid for SH was 55k according to him, they needed him off the books as wages were a huge issue. I don’t know the final bid btw but doubt it broke our transfer record as Southend were over a barrel and he wanted to go.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 20:21 - Oct 17 with 1813 viewsjonahwhereru

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 18:59 - Oct 17 by Thacks_Rabbits

I have not checked but i doubt our entire starting line up has scored 50 league goals between them.

BBM has been given a hugely reduced budget with the view of survival, that’s it. He might achieve it who knows, other than accy we could not expect a lot with the fixtures we had, so have done ok.

The squad is far weaker than last year, I have no idea how much influence this money ball guy is having but he is very quiet I would guess he is having some say in the signings but how much who knows.

Spoke to a Southend fan this morning and he thinks they won’t see the end of November, things very bleak there and rumours of player revolt. Our initial bid for SH was 55k according to him, they needed him off the books as wages were a huge issue. I don’t know the final bid btw but doubt it broke our transfer record as Southend were over a barrel and he wanted to go.

I am from Southend and when my nephew said the fee for SH was 100k I thought he must be wrong, but now thinking it was much closer to the mark than I thought. In the interview Fitzochris did with him SH he said contractually his money half when Southend were relegated.
The imperative of appeasing the HMRC was the reason for the Southend fire sale, which was still continuing this week. They need to stump up 450k within a couple of weeks.
So glad my dad raised me as a Rochdale fan.
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 20:36 - Oct 17 with 1767 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 20:21 - Oct 17 by jonahwhereru

I am from Southend and when my nephew said the fee for SH was 100k I thought he must be wrong, but now thinking it was much closer to the mark than I thought. In the interview Fitzochris did with him SH he said contractually his money half when Southend were relegated.
The imperative of appeasing the HMRC was the reason for the Southend fire sale, which was still continuing this week. They need to stump up 450k within a couple of weeks.
So glad my dad raised me as a Rochdale fan.

Agreed, much as though we bemoan what’s on the pitch we always seem able to bail ourselves out if we need to.

Southend have for years been paying a lot in wages and it appears it has caught up with them.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 21:44 - Oct 17 with 1609 viewsmikehunt

Very dismal performance today. Hardly ever got past the half way line and when we did, stopped and passed back Or gave the ball away. No idea where a goal is coming from. We have played some tough teams in these first few games. That’s my last crumb of comfort to hold on to. If we don’t get anything from the next two games we’re doomed Oi tell ee. Doomed!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 22:23 - Oct 17 with 1525 viewsJames1980

These are the issues. Lack of pace and lack of confidence.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 22:30 - Oct 17 with 1504 viewsscarrow

Dreadful second half performance today. Final ball lacking, crossing awful, concentration at the back without McShane lacking etc etc

Main issue consistently is the lack of presence in attack. International forward in the first half today buries his chance. Lad just signed from non league puts a free header past the post.

Poll: Final position

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 23:18 - Oct 17 with 1427 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 22:30 - Oct 17 by scarrow

Dreadful second half performance today. Final ball lacking, crossing awful, concentration at the back without McShane lacking etc etc

Main issue consistently is the lack of presence in attack. International forward in the first half today buries his chance. Lad just signed from non league puts a free header past the post.

Non league is our budget. International forward is theirs

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 23:38 - Oct 17 with 1394 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 21:44 - Oct 17 by mikehunt

Very dismal performance today. Hardly ever got past the half way line and when we did, stopped and passed back Or gave the ball away. No idea where a goal is coming from. We have played some tough teams in these first few games. That’s my last crumb of comfort to hold on to. If we don’t get anything from the next two games we’re doomed Oi tell ee. Doomed!

Well.....BBM thinks "for long periods of the first half and into the 2nd half we were the better team" dear me?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 23:54 - Oct 17 with 1367 viewsSuddenLad

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 23:38 - Oct 17 by Yorkshire_Dale

Well.....BBM thinks "for long periods of the first half and into the 2nd half we were the better team" dear me?

Better team? Jesus wept. Hull were better in every single aspect of the game. We excelled at nothing. O'Connell led the way in terms of performance from a Dale point of view, but not one Dale player would get into the Hull team. Not one.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 23:56 - Oct 17 with 1368 viewsJimmyRustler

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 23:18 - Oct 17 by James1980

Non league is our budget. International forward is theirs

The budget didn't mean all that. I didn't think there was all that much difference in the way of quality between the teams. They just seemed to want it more.

It genuinely looked like we played for a draw in large spells of the game. A draw would have been a good result but there was little desire to take any sort of risk from what I saw. That motivation to have a go comes from the manager.

We weren't good enough to play tippy tappy football last season and we are a considerably weaker proposition now. I fear that unless we take a more pragmatic approach (or at least have a plan B), we will go down with a whimper.

Tbf, we are pretty nailed on to go down either way but I would like to see us make a decent fist of it. That was piss poor today and the second half was as bad as anything I've seen in a good few years
[Post edited 17 Oct 2020 23:57]
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 10:15 - Oct 18 with 1016 viewsEllDale

I think I was lulled into a false expectation before yesterday's game as a result of Hull getting a mauling at Fleetwood the previous week.
They're a good side who shouldn't really have come down last season. From what I can gather internal issues at the KC played a big part in that.
I don't mind the tippy-tappy stuff so much but the end result always seems to be the same; Morley firing a long ball forwards. Sometimes this comes off, on many occasions it doesn't, mainly because a resolute, well drilled defence like Hulls has already got into formation.
Was McShane fit to play? It makes you wonder if he was forced to because Jim McNulty was unavailable for whatever reason? I'm not sure that Jimmy Ryan is fully fit either or Ollie for that matter. The latter's missed tackle led to their second goal and he looked absolutely dead on his feet.
One thing that does wind me up is how we don't learn as games progress.
How many times did Hull use that short corner routine? We just didn't react to counter it.
One of those late goals was as a direct result of them working a two on one situation from a short corner which gave them all the time in the world to deliver a measured cross.
Tolaji Bola was just as I expected. A neat, technically gifted football showing his pedigree. He needs to get used to the rough and tumble of the EFL though which is exactly why he's been sent out out on loan. My only criticism would be the quality of his his delivery into the penalty area but I'm sure that this will come in time.
Gavin Bazunu was a lot better today as well.
Other plusses were Newby and the imperious O'Connell.
At the moment though we must be favourites to be in the bottom four come April with all the implications that holds.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 10:16 - Oct 18 with 1014 viewsDaleFan7

The midfield was especially poor yesterday.

Ryan might as well have played in a Hull shirt he gave the ball away that much. Big fan of Morley but his constant pumping the ball to nowhere near his target was unacceptable. Rathbone was more headless chicken than the usual midfield terrier he can be. The game just completely passed Lund by.

Dooley still scared of his own shadow. Id rather see one of the youngsters coming on than him, at least they might have a go and pass/run forwards every now and again.

Been quite impressed with the two new lads and their effort and ability to get into decent positions but we're going to need it to turn into something to have a chance of staying up.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 10:18]
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 10:52 - Oct 18 with 951 viewsEllDale

Dooley has been playing a strange role, predominantly on the left hand side so obviously acting as part of a tactical masterplan. He looks a lot more comfortable on the right hand side and always has done as far as I'm concerned..
If we're going to play someone there it might as well be Matty Done who at least is left footed.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:24 - Oct 18 with 895 viewsHopwoodblue

Is it a case of not playing the right way with the players we have ? Or are we just not good enough?
Would this squad be able to stay up playing a different type of system?
Or do we just accept the fact we haven’t enough quality to stay out if the bottom four ?
We urgently need a couple more additions this week, but do we then need to re think they way we play? I find it hard to believe we have spent money on players just to get relegated so if I’m honest I think BBM needs a plan B.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:35 - Oct 18 with 867 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:24 - Oct 18 by Hopwoodblue

Is it a case of not playing the right way with the players we have ? Or are we just not good enough?
Would this squad be able to stay up playing a different type of system?
Or do we just accept the fact we haven’t enough quality to stay out if the bottom four ?
We urgently need a couple more additions this week, but do we then need to re think they way we play? I find it hard to believe we have spent money on players just to get relegated so if I’m honest I think BBM needs a plan B.

The Fleetwood game proved we are good enough. Interestingly, the same Fleetwood who made yesterday’s opponents look ordinary.

Consistency is the key and I would say yesterday and the Swindon game showed us at our worst.

I don’t buy all this “We won’t be judged on our results against the likes of Hull” on Twitter.

They didn’t blow us off the pitch yesterday. We had plenty of the ball - we just did nothing with it. Hull, Fleetwood or Accrington - it matters not. If we have the ball, we have a chance.
It’s time to start creating and taking them.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 11:38]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:44 - Oct 18 with 831 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:35 - Oct 18 by fitzochris

The Fleetwood game proved we are good enough. Interestingly, the same Fleetwood who made yesterday’s opponents look ordinary.

Consistency is the key and I would say yesterday and the Swindon game showed us at our worst.

I don’t buy all this “We won’t be judged on our results against the likes of Hull” on Twitter.

They didn’t blow us off the pitch yesterday. We had plenty of the ball - we just did nothing with it. Hull, Fleetwood or Accrington - it matters not. If we have the ball, we have a chance.
It’s time to start creating and taking them.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 11:38]

Does the execution of current tactics make creating chances difficult and or easy for the opposition to stifle chances being created?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:46 - Oct 18 with 822 viewsEllDale

Agreed.
You never know how the game might have panned out if Beesley had scored that header yesterday.
We have had a difficult run of fixtures; be interesting to see what we can glean from the next two games.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:50 - Oct 18 with 803 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:44 - Oct 18 by James1980

Does the execution of current tactics make creating chances difficult and or easy for the opposition to stifle chances being created?

It’s not necessarily the tactics because they worked against Fleetwood. However, we don’t know what the specific instructions within the tactic were yesterday. You could also argue a few individuals had off days too.

We drove forward well enough but then, infuriatingly, went backwards once in the final third of the pitch. It was all very bizarre.

Against Fleetwood, we were out of the traps like a hare and bombarded their box incessantly. It’s that approach and dynamism we need back, and quickly.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:51 - Oct 18 with 797 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 11:50 - Oct 18 by fitzochris

It’s not necessarily the tactics because they worked against Fleetwood. However, we don’t know what the specific instructions within the tactic were yesterday. You could also argue a few individuals had off days too.

We drove forward well enough but then, infuriatingly, went backwards once in the final third of the pitch. It was all very bizarre.

Against Fleetwood, we were out of the traps like a hare and bombarded their box incessantly. It’s that approach and dynamism we need back, and quickly.

And as seen v Rotherham in March.

I know we don't have a lot of that team, but the point stands.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024