Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City 14:00 - Oct 15 with 11964 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/53106/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 12:05 - Oct 18 with 1174 viewsJames1980

In the games against Fleetwood and Rotherham we had less possession than the team we beat. Whereas yesterday we made more accurate passes and had much more possession than the team that beat us. I know the dataset is a very small one but does this suggest we shouldn't be so obsessed about retaining possession?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 12:14 - Oct 18 with 1120 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 12:05 - Oct 18 by James1980

In the games against Fleetwood and Rotherham we had less possession than the team we beat. Whereas yesterday we made more accurate passes and had much more possession than the team that beat us. I know the dataset is a very small one but does this suggest we shouldn't be so obsessed about retaining possession?

It depends where that possession is, doesn't it?

If it's in the opponents' penalty area, there's more chance of a goal.

If it's in our own penalty area or our own half, we aren't really going anywhere.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 12:28 - Oct 18 with 1083 viewsD_Alien

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 12:14 - Oct 18 by TVOS1907

It depends where that possession is, doesn't it?

If it's in the opponents' penalty area, there's more chance of a goal.

If it's in our own penalty area or our own half, we aren't really going anywhere.

Speaking of which, for me the most obvious tactical error is BBM's insistence on having Morley pick the ball up in the leftback position. The Hull players will have taken great comfort yesterday every time this happened (and it happened a lot) in giving them nothing to think about but dealing with a speculative punt upfield that could just as easily be done by Bazuna

What a waste of Morley's potential. He's much more effective on the right side of midfield, with the scope to get even further forward to threaten the goal. With Rathbone on the left there's a natural balance there, and the fullbacks overlapping when possible

I guess BBM thinks the tactic will help push our fullbacks further forward to begin with but its very naive imo, and far too easily countered. I'm afraid that if he persists with this, not only will Morley fail to develop his natural game but the side will remain unbalanced and ponderous
[Post edited 18 Oct 2020 12:29]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 13:51 - Oct 18 with 956 views49thseason

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 10:15 - Oct 18 by EllDale

I think I was lulled into a false expectation before yesterday's game as a result of Hull getting a mauling at Fleetwood the previous week.
They're a good side who shouldn't really have come down last season. From what I can gather internal issues at the KC played a big part in that.
I don't mind the tippy-tappy stuff so much but the end result always seems to be the same; Morley firing a long ball forwards. Sometimes this comes off, on many occasions it doesn't, mainly because a resolute, well drilled defence like Hulls has already got into formation.
Was McShane fit to play? It makes you wonder if he was forced to because Jim McNulty was unavailable for whatever reason? I'm not sure that Jimmy Ryan is fully fit either or Ollie for that matter. The latter's missed tackle led to their second goal and he looked absolutely dead on his feet.
One thing that does wind me up is how we don't learn as games progress.
How many times did Hull use that short corner routine? We just didn't react to counter it.
One of those late goals was as a direct result of them working a two on one situation from a short corner which gave them all the time in the world to deliver a measured cross.
Tolaji Bola was just as I expected. A neat, technically gifted football showing his pedigree. He needs to get used to the rough and tumble of the EFL though which is exactly why he's been sent out out on loan. My only criticism would be the quality of his his delivery into the penalty area but I'm sure that this will come in time.
Gavin Bazunu was a lot better today as well.
Other plusses were Newby and the imperious O'Connell.
At the moment though we must be favourites to be in the bottom four come April with all the implications that holds.

The short corner routine was easy to spot.. two arms raised by taker = short, one arm = long . If the defenders or the bench didnt spot it then they simply weren't concentrating ,
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 14:06 - Oct 18 with 922 views49thseason

They are doing to Morley what they did to Camps, playing him too far back, the lad doesnt have a natural defensive bone in his body and has to play further forward where he can play in to the forwards. Maybe the lad who has gone back to City has forced the move and its temporary but its not working particularly well. The budget is affecting the team in terms of bodies but I dont think we are alone, there will be more Macclesfields before the end of the season. You can come back from relegation but there is no return from bankrupcy.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 19:36 - Oct 18 with 713 viewsShun

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Hull City on 12:05 - Oct 18 by James1980

We topped the charts last season for possession and passes, yet we were near the bottom for shots and chances. In fact I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the most oft-played pass in the whole league was Sanchez to RND or O'Connell. Hence why I said yesterday reminded me so much of last season.

Our possession wins us plaudits but it doesn't really mean anything as, unless we come up with a wonder goal like at Southend, the overwhelming majority of it is in our defence and midfield. We look absolutely hopeless as an attacking outlet right now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024