Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day in 2013 18:25 - Dec 10 with 1372 viewsdirk_doone

I was at St Mary's to watch an FA Youth Cup match. The result?

Southampton 7 Portsmouth 0

The last time I'd seen that same scoreline, it involved our first teams and was at Fratton Park in May, 1972.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

On this day in 2013 on 18:53 - Dec 10 with 1329 viewsTimSaint

Didn't go to this, but certainly remember the result.

Seem to think that Sam Gallagher got a hat trick and maybe Hesketh scored as well ?

Be interesting to see who else played (for both teams) and where they are now. I'll check it out later when I have time.

.......I also seem to recall that a mate who went to the game said that Pompey brought over 500 fans up.

TimSaint

On this day in 2013 on 18:59 - Dec 10 with 1322 viewsTimSaint

On this day in 2013 on 18:53 - Dec 10 by TimSaint

Seem to think that Sam Gallagher got a hat trick and maybe Hesketh scored as well ?

Be interesting to see who else played (for both teams) and where they are now. I'll check it out later when I have time.

.......I also seem to recall that a mate who went to the game said that Pompey brought over 500 fans up.

Quick search and found this....

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2013-12-10/saints-7-0-pompey-fa-youth-cup-rep

Good report and it shows the line-ups for both teams.

TimSaint

On this day in 2013 on 19:00 - Dec 10 with 1321 viewsdirk_doone

On this day in 2013 on 18:53 - Dec 10 by TimSaint

On this day in 2013 on 19:15 - Dec 10 with 1302 viewsdirk_doone

A couple of those Pompey players, Close and Haunstrup, also played in their 0-4 League Cup thrashing at Fratton Park, and the goalkeeper, Bass, was on the bench.

I was also at this one:

On this day in 2013 on 20:46 - Dec 10 with 1244 viewsSaintNick

On this day in 2013 on 19:15 - Dec 10 by dirk_doone

A couple of those Pompey players, Close and Haunstrup, also played in their 0-4 League Cup thrashing at Fratton Park, and the goalkeeper, Bass, was on the bench.

I was also at this one:

Milkins looked remarkedly like Bob Wilson in the pic

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

On this day in 2013 on 20:56 - Dec 10 with 1230 viewsdirk_doone

On this day in 2013 on 20:46 - Dec 10 by SaintNick

Milkins looked remarkedly like Bob Wilson in the pic

That's because it is Bob Wilson. Milkins looked nothing like that. The black and white photo here is how I remember him:

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/a-tale-of-two-keepers/

On this day in 2013 on 21:22 - Dec 10 with 1206 viewsSaintNick

On this day in 2013 on 20:56 - Dec 10 by dirk_doone

That's because it is Bob Wilson. Milkins looked nothing like that. The black and white photo here is how I remember him:

I thought it didn't look like MIlkins who always seemed to have a smart short back and sides haircut, it says here one club man and he was at the time, but he soon left for Oxford United

He was pretty much finished as Portsmouth first choice by the time he was 28 and didn't play that much for Oxford in 5 years there, I remember he was in goal for them though when I went to a pre season friendly there in 1978

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

On this day in 2013 on 21:36 - Dec 10 with 1191 viewsBison

Not 2013 but in 1941 on this day 2 of our nations battleships were sunk in the South China Sea .

The Prince of wales , which battled the Bismarck which in turn sunk HMS Hood , and HMS Repulse.

A lot of sailors died this day a long way from home.

Too get a scale of the size of her , zoom in on her bow and see the sailors.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2020 21:55]

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Login to get fewer ads

On this day in 2013 on 22:01 - Dec 10 with 1162 viewskernow

The day that battleships became obsolete.
On this day in 2013 on 22:07 - Dec 10 with 1150 viewsgreen

Targett the only player currently playing regular top flight football from both teams then.
On this day in 2013 on 22:09 - Dec 10 with 1145 viewshedgeend61

On this day in 2013 on 20:56 - Dec 10 by dirk_doone

If you click on Bob Wilson photo, and again, it says Bob was asked to say a few words about Milkins.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2020 22:16]
On this day in 2013 on 22:17 - Dec 10 with 1135 viewsBison

On this day in 2013 on 22:01 - Dec 10 by kernow

The day that battleships became obsolete.

Yes but the official date according to historians was November 1940 when 'our' swordfish sunk the Italian fleet at Taranto . After that the aircraft carrier was the weapon of choice.

On this day in 2013 on 23:28 - Dec 10 with 1083 viewsdirk_doone

On this day in 2013 on 22:17 - Dec 10 by Bison

Yes but the official date according to historians was November 1940 when 'our' swordfish sunk the Italian fleet at Taranto . After that the aircraft carrier was the weapon of choice.

NT
[Post edited 11 Dec 2020 1:44]

On this day in 2013 on 23:37 - Dec 10 with 1073 viewsBison

Wow ! There are some seriously famous ships on that report.

Illustrious was where the swordfish flew from .

Ajax , involved in battle of river plate ?

HMAS Sidney , saw a program about her and how she 'disappeared '

If one German / jap torpedo had struck home perhaps you couldn't of posted that Dirk , I come from a family of sailors as well .

On this day in 2013 on 09:27 - Dec 11 with 967 viewsRon11

On this day in 2013 on 23:37 - Dec 10 by Bison

Wow ! There are some seriously famous ships on that report.

Illustrious was where the swordfish flew from .

Ajax , involved in battle of river plate ?

HMAS Sidney , saw a program about her and how she 'disappeared '

If one German / jap torpedo had struck home perhaps you couldn't of posted that Dirk , I come from a family of sailors as well .

My dad was on HMS Valiant in the Med.
She had 15" guns and sat offshore pounding the enemy infested coast at Tripoli (Libya) and Salerno - also took part in what was the turkey shoot destruction of the Italian fleet at Cape Matapan.
On this day in 2013 on 09:30 - Dec 11 with 964 viewsRon11

On this day in 2013 on 21:36 - Dec 10 by Bison

Not 2013 but in 1941 on this day 2 of our nations battleships were sunk in the South China Sea .

The Prince of wales , which battled the Bismarck which in turn sunk HMS Hood , and HMS Repulse.

A lot of sailors died this day a long way from home.

Too get a scale of the size of her , zoom in on her bow and see the sailors.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2020 21:55]

Didn't those who 'were in charge' decide it was safe to venture out there because they wrongly assumed heavy cloud cover would offer protection?
On this day in 2013 on 13:27 - Dec 11 with 878 viewsBerber

Funny that WW2 items came up. Yesterday I discovered a record of my uncle being shot down in a spitfire near Trieste at the end of the war. Sadly he didn't survive, but I was thrilled to get a bit more detail than the single sentence hand me down history from my family. I have visited his grave (he was moved to the Udine cemetery) a couple of times with my brother when on holiday in Venice. 20 years old, and hardly lived a life to remember, and nobody else in the family ever visited. The Commonwealth Graves organisation do a fantastic job keeping the cemeteries up to scratch. Each time I have been, there have been at least two lots of Brits visiting the graves of relatives, which is brilliant for a small cemetery on the way to nowhere.

I have always had a soft spot for Udinese.
On this day in 2013 on 12:38 - Dec 17 with 702 viewsdirk_doone

Pity, we won't get the opportunity to improve on our 7-0 scoreline against them this year:

http://www.bromleyfc.tv/site/goals-portsmouth-1-2-bromley-fa-youth-cup/

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024