Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a DISASTER? 23:46 - Dec 14 with 1481 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

O.M.G what ever are we going to do? Are we going to starve to death / or will we not have enough money to afford alcohol? FACT - In January  we import from the EU. - -  90% of Lettuce. 85% 0f Tomatoes. 70% of Soft Fruit.
FACT -  we import from the EU. - -  Deal or no-deal prices of these products prices WILL INCREASE.
Cheeses - feta/haloumi/Gorgonzola will rise Up to 55%
Meats - Proscictto / Bratwurst.  will rise Up to31%Olive oil  - will rise Up to 32%
Most people with an once of intelligence - will either change their diets for a few months OR source a cheaper alternative OR better still BUY UK PRODUCTS! if that is possible - lets face it 20/30 years ago - we didn't have any choice - as there was not any markets here in the UK .... and these produces - were not readily available.

My personal experience ( which I will probably will be lambasted for )-- I love my cuppa - and used to purchase 160 Twinnings English Breakfast teabags costing on offer at£2.79. 
I was asked by my daughter to pop into Aldi -  and happened to noticed  Diplomate Gold Blend 80 tea bags for £1.05 - bought a box - And found they had a much better flavor & MORE enjoyable THAN the more expensive TWINNINGS.
Then shocks of shocks my local Aldi has not had any stock of Blend for a few weeks now - but yesterday noticed Diplomat Gold Label 80 tea bags for £0.95 PENCE ... just as enjoyable with me saving money -- a result !
So " Come on folks " let us be more positive - you could discover better deals/save money - and I admit the next few years is bound to be bumpy .... but we will all be better off in the end, as we will be motivated to look for better more cost-effective products, and save you money!

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

What a DISASTER? on 00:13 - Dec 15 with 1453 viewsSaintsforeverj

I'm with you on this. If Lettuce is desperately expensive from the EU, we will grow our own or just not buy it. My neighbour grows tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots, among other things in their greenhouse. We often have some of it, for free. And in the end, the EU will work out that they are losing loads of money, when nobody is buying lettuce in the UK, so will logically find a way to get us buying lettuce again and therefore prices will come down. Why would they lose out on money, just to punish us? Money is everything, so I doubt it. And as you say, we can just buy British produce.

I still think there will be a deal. The last minute "talks to continue" when Sunday was supposed to be the ultimate deadline, is because the EU don't want no deal any more than we do. Let's get on with it, and make it work. There isn't another choice. The people decided and there may be some difficulties to start with, but I honestly believe we will be better off in the long term. I accept others don't agree, but they should accept that some people believe this will be a good thing, especially in the long run.

But more importantly, we all support Saints and we are in the top 4 with the most exciting team we have potentially ever had! I'll eat British beef and my neighbour's home grown onions and won't care one bit, if Saints finish in the top 4 or even better, win the PL.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 0:33]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

What a DISASTER? on 01:13 - Dec 15 with 1408 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

What a DISASTER? on 00:13 - Dec 15 by Saintsforeverj

I'm with you on this. If Lettuce is desperately expensive from the EU, we will grow our own or just not buy it. My neighbour grows tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots, among other things in their greenhouse. We often have some of it, for free. And in the end, the EU will work out that they are losing loads of money, when nobody is buying lettuce in the UK, so will logically find a way to get us buying lettuce again and therefore prices will come down. Why would they lose out on money, just to punish us? Money is everything, so I doubt it. And as you say, we can just buy British produce.

I still think there will be a deal. The last minute "talks to continue" when Sunday was supposed to be the ultimate deadline, is because the EU don't want no deal any more than we do. Let's get on with it, and make it work. There isn't another choice. The people decided and there may be some difficulties to start with, but I honestly believe we will be better off in the long term. I accept others don't agree, but they should accept that some people believe this will be a good thing, especially in the long run.

But more importantly, we all support Saints and we are in the top 4 with the most exciting team we have potentially ever had! I'll eat British beef and my neighbour's home grown onions and won't care one bit, if Saints finish in the top 4 or even better, win the PL.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 0:33]

Totally agree with your post pal - the topics that you raise and talk about are so sensible ..... but unfortunately it does leave me cold when " Remainders " still CAN NOT accept -- That we have now left the EU!

Let us now ALL move forward and make the very best of it - we are a Fantastic race , as time after time ,we have always shown that when our backs are against the wall - it brings out " The very best " in all of us - as history has proven time and again.
Maybe I will post "WHY" I am so against the EU and why others like me refuse to accept our politicians - not carrying out " What the UK electorate voted for - no matter how close ( but was over 1.4 MILLION VOTES IN FAVOUR OF LEAVE! )

As for our beloved "Saints" here is a point that I made in another post - What a Christmas pressie for us to know that Ryan & Ings'y have signed extended contracts - and strengthen Ralph's resolve in attracting better quality players. COYS!
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 1:23]

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

What a DISASTER? on 06:40 - Dec 15 with 1330 viewssaint68

A nice drop of positivity, merry Christmas gents.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

What a DISASTER? on 09:37 - Dec 15 with 1231 viewsPaleRider

To lay my cards on the table, I have lived and worked in both Germany and the USA. I voted remain although I have severe misgivings about the EU. However, I have always believed that we voted out so let's leave and get on with it asap.

I agree 100% with your points about switching habits - I was saying this to my wife at the weekend. Your example is perfect by the way but could also be extended to say tourism! We all need to support the UK economy much more.

However, using the past to say that we will be fine is, in my view, false. The reasons for this have been exposed by Covid this year:

1) Our economy is basically f***ed. The reason is that we now have too many jobs that create no value - for example a lot of retail, logistics, hospitality, media etc. These sectors just move money around - they don't create value. We now have far too little skilled manufacturing - although we have pockets of brilliance. The pockets of brilliance are predominantly in and around London (including Oxford and Cambridge). This would be the answer going forward as we could use skilled manufacturing to drive a green revolution;
2) We have a corrupt and generally useless government. I'm not saying that any other party would be any better. These charges can be levelled against the US and the EU as well. I'm not sure what the answer is here;
3) The World is much more inter-connected than it has ever been. This means that pissing off the EU is not helpful in the long run. An unintended consequence of Brexit is the impact on areas such as scientific research and security that require good communication and cooperation;
4) We have too many people in the UK who don't believe in following rules and guidelines for the common good. We are a more fractured society than we were before. Again, not sure what the answer is here!

On a positive note - it's always a roller coaster supporting Saints. Let's hope we are still on the upward rise! I am loving the increased positivity amongst all of us Saints supporters - that's my tribe!
What a DISASTER? on 10:04 - Dec 15 with 1204 views1885_SFC

Last night for tea, I had fresh British chicken, fresh British sprouts, fresh British cauliflower, fresh British potatoes & frozen broad beans (no idea where they originated from).

I do laugh at some of the poncy foods you get on Master Chef. I've never heard of half of them! A lot of it is for people up their own arses.

I love fish (especially Scottish mackerel) and shellfish... cockles, mussels, fresh crab, etc - all delightfully caught or fished around the British Isles of course.

I'm a massive cheese fan too. I have to admit that my favourite is Danish Blue - but I don't mind if I have to pay a bit more for it. Other than that, you can't beat a good old slab of British extra mature cheddar!

I don't think I will have to change my food shopping habits too much if there's no deal. All the best foods are already on our own doorstep.

Old School is Cool

What a DISASTER? on 10:20 - Dec 15 with 1186 viewsSadoldgit

Watch prices go up here too once there is less competition from EU produce. It really isn’t a question of not accepting that we have left, we have absolutely no choice, but we don’t have to be happy about it. If the vote had gone the other way you would still have people whinging on about leaving. It is a massive and emotive issue. People on both sides need to accept that feelings about this run deep and that people are allowed to express their feelings. Maybe if it had been a landslide victory to leave things would be different, but it wasn’t and virtually half the country wanted to stay with the EU, so maybe have some understanding for those who are deeply unhappy about this decision? Yes, we will “get on with it” but when you have nearly half the country feeling that a massive mistake has been made by the other half there is bound to be resentment. And before we get into the discussion about democracy, we had already voted to join the economic community, so what happened to that democratic decision?
What a DISASTER? on 10:46 - Dec 15 with 1160 viewsDorsetIan

We are fixated on what WE will be able to eat. Just like we have been fixated on stopping people coming the UK.

The bigger issue is that if we don't have a deal, our producers will find it much harder to sell their produce to the EU because of the tarifs that they would impose on us.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

What a DISASTER? on 11:39 - Dec 15 with 1132 viewsdwayne_dibley

What a DISASTER? on 10:46 - Dec 15 by DorsetIan

We are fixated on what WE will be able to eat. Just like we have been fixated on stopping people coming the UK.

The bigger issue is that if we don't have a deal, our producers will find it much harder to sell their produce to the EU because of the tarifs that they would impose on us.

so bollux to them they are Johnny Foreigner

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Login to get fewer ads

What a DISASTER? on 12:56 - Dec 15 with 1100 viewsgrumpy

There seems a school of thought that if you wanted to remain in the EU somehow you are being unpatriotic which is quite the opposite. People that voted to remain thought it was in the best interest of the Country to remain which doesn't sound unpatriotic to me.
Everyone has their right to an opinion.
The Country voted to leave on the back of a ridiculous referendum that didn't inform the people what leaving really meant ie without a deal etc.
We will get some kind of deal, I am sure of that, both sides are playing games but you can be sure who will be better off and it wont be us.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 12:58]
What a DISASTER? on 13:29 - Dec 15 with 1069 viewsDorsetIan

What a DISASTER? on 12:56 - Dec 15 by grumpy

There seems a school of thought that if you wanted to remain in the EU somehow you are being unpatriotic which is quite the opposite. People that voted to remain thought it was in the best interest of the Country to remain which doesn't sound unpatriotic to me.
The Country voted to leave on the back of a ridiculous referendum that didn't inform the people what leaving really meant ie without a deal etc.
We will get some kind of deal, I am sure of that, both sides are playing games but you can be sure who will be better off and it wont be us.

Boris should be thinking 'if I can get any sort of trade deal, I am going to have something to crow about'. Nobody but a few nutters is going to be worried about precise fish quotas and us facing tarifs in the future if we diverge from EU standards (cross that bridge when we come to it, etc).

Whereas 'no deal' equals a failure to deliver the deal he promised AND in the short term an awful lot of chaos for everyone (which he won't easily be able to alleviate).

It just makes no sense for Boris to chose the latter over the former.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

What a DISASTER? on 13:36 - Dec 15 with 1066 viewsHeisenberg

I thought leaving the EU was going to take us into the promised new land and that even if the EU didn't like the deal we offered they would come crawling on all fours begging us for our business. Failing that our glorious leader had a oven ready deal that was beyond great.

Now I have to buy cheap tea and give up all those fancy foreign goods like good wine and olive oil. What a crock of shite.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

What a DISASTER? on 14:13 - Dec 15 with 1045 viewsSadoldgit

What a DISASTER? on 12:56 - Dec 15 by grumpy

We elect people to make the big decisions for us and who have the time and the wherewithal to examine the consequences closely. It speaks volumes therefore that a great many MPs were against Brexit as they felt is was in the country’s best interest to remain part of the EU.
There is a very good piece in The Guardian today about global economics and how Brexit will give Britain a wake up call and show us where we actually stand in the world in the 21st century. I know many will dismiss it as it is in The Guardian, but it is a sobering read and well worth the effort.
The world has changed enormously since we first joined the EEC back in the 70’s and we are not leaving as the same UK that joined it all those years ago. Our economy is strongly tied to that of the Union. To leave now has been described by economists (with a certain amount of understatement) as “foolish”. The next ten years are going to be hard enough as it is because of the economic effects of Covid. Throw in Brexit as well and we will end up looking back on the austerity years as the good times!
What a DISASTER? on 14:54 - Dec 15 with 1024 viewsBazza

What a DISASTER? on 14:13 - Dec 15 by Sadoldgit

We elect people to make the big decisions for us and who have the time and the wherewithal to examine the consequences closely. It speaks volumes therefore that a great many MPs were against Brexit as they felt is was in the country’s best interest to remain part of the EU.
There is a very good piece in The Guardian today about global economics and how Brexit will give Britain a wake up call and show us where we actually stand in the world in the 21st century. I know many will dismiss it as it is in The Guardian, but it is a sobering read and well worth the effort.
The world has changed enormously since we first joined the EEC back in the 70’s and we are not leaving as the same UK that joined it all those years ago. Our economy is strongly tied to that of the Union. To leave now has been described by economists (with a certain amount of understatement) as “foolish”. The next ten years are going to be hard enough as it is because of the economic effects of Covid. Throw in Brexit as well and we will end up looking back on the austerity years as the good times!

Wow, to reference the Guardian and economists in the same note tells me how weak your argument may be.
The world has changed since the 70s that is true. Instead of the smaller Common market there is the political union of wealthy Northern Europeans dominating less wealthy Southern Europeans, plus the vastly culturally different eastern countries. I doubt that is any recipe for a successful future. Throw in the ever increasing, very costly administration and the EU looks doomed.
Short term the transition will be difficult, but won’t last forever. Perhaps all you gloom merchants could for once look on the bright side, forwards not backwards.
What a DISASTER? on 15:44 - Dec 15 with 1010 viewsBerber

What a DISASTER? on 09:37 - Dec 15 by PaleRider

To lay my cards on the table, I have lived and worked in both Germany and the USA. I voted remain although I have severe misgivings about the EU. However, I have always believed that we voted out so let's leave and get on with it asap.

I agree 100% with your points about switching habits - I was saying this to my wife at the weekend. Your example is perfect by the way but could also be extended to say tourism! We all need to support the UK economy much more.

However, using the past to say that we will be fine is, in my view, false. The reasons for this have been exposed by Covid this year:

1) Our economy is basically f***ed. The reason is that we now have too many jobs that create no value - for example a lot of retail, logistics, hospitality, media etc. These sectors just move money around - they don't create value. We now have far too little skilled manufacturing - although we have pockets of brilliance. The pockets of brilliance are predominantly in and around London (including Oxford and Cambridge). This would be the answer going forward as we could use skilled manufacturing to drive a green revolution;
2) We have a corrupt and generally useless government. I'm not saying that any other party would be any better. These charges can be levelled against the US and the EU as well. I'm not sure what the answer is here;
3) The World is much more inter-connected than it has ever been. This means that pissing off the EU is not helpful in the long run. An unintended consequence of Brexit is the impact on areas such as scientific research and security that require good communication and cooperation;
4) We have too many people in the UK who don't believe in following rules and guidelines for the common good. We are a more fractured society than we were before. Again, not sure what the answer is here!

On a positive note - it's always a roller coaster supporting Saints. Let's hope we are still on the upward rise! I am loving the increased positivity amongst all of us Saints supporters - that's my tribe!

This, I have lived and worked in both Belgium and Norway, and would have happily settles in either. However, at the end of the day I am British and wanted my kids to grow up as Brits. I voted to remain, with one reservation about the impact on sovereignty. This is proving to be the major sticking point at the end of the day. Now that the people have voted in favour of leaving, I am proud to be part of a nation that abides by the majority vote.

We don't actually need lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes all year round, and in the past 40 years, our eating habits have changed more than enough to make a wide variety of foods with seasonal products.

As a nation we are good enough, bold enough, clever enough and strong enough to succeed on our own, without the ever invasive preening of low countries finance ministers and other politicians who weren't good enough to make it to the top in their own countries.
What a DISASTER? on 15:27 - Dec 16 with 909 viewsRon11

'Areas such as security that require good communication and COOPERATION'
Like when we pay the French millions to stop hundreds of people crossing the channel unsafely and illegally in rubber boats, only to find that the French navy have actually been escorting them out of their waters into ours.
They and Germany don't give a flying fu ck about us as this and other acts of contempt clearly demonstrate.
If they and Germany didn't have massive exports of goods such as cars,wine,cheese etc to the UK, they would more than happy to kiss us goodbye.
Oh, and of course we can now choose who we want to allow entry into the UK, not have it decided for us by the likes of the English hating Verhofstadt.
What a DISASTER? on 16:58 - Dec 16 with 881 viewsdwayne_dibley

What a DISASTER? on 15:27 - Dec 16 by Ron11

'Areas such as security that require good communication and COOPERATION'
Like when we pay the French millions to stop hundreds of people crossing the channel unsafely and illegally in rubber boats, only to find that the French navy have actually been escorting them out of their waters into ours.
They and Germany don't give a flying fu ck about us as this and other acts of contempt clearly demonstrate.
If they and Germany didn't have massive exports of goods such as cars,wine,cheese etc to the UK, they would more than happy to kiss us goodbye.
Oh, and of course we can now choose who we want to allow entry into the UK, not have it decided for us by the likes of the English hating Verhofstadt.

finally some common sense

What a DISASTER? on 17:59 - Dec 16 with 846 viewssaint68

Well that pretty much validated why I cant be arsed to post on here anymore....just the usual doom mongerers taking over everything with negative repetitive shyte!!!

Merry Christmas to all you fellow uglies, good health and happiness for the year ahead.

And let's dream the impossible dream....SFC champions of England 2020/2021.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

What a DISASTER? on 20:25 - Dec 16 with 810 viewsSadoldgit

What a DISASTER? on 14:54 - Dec 15 by Bazza

Wow, to reference the Guardian and economists in the same note tells me how weak your argument may be.
The world has changed since the 70s that is true. Instead of the smaller Common market there is the political union of wealthy Northern Europeans dominating less wealthy Southern Europeans, plus the vastly culturally different eastern countries. I doubt that is any recipe for a successful future. Throw in the ever increasing, very costly administration and the EU looks doomed.
Short term the transition will be difficult, but won’t last forever. Perhaps all you gloom merchants could for once look on the bright side, forwards not backwards.

The article was written by an economist Bazza, not a Guardian journalist.
What a DISASTER? on 22:12 - Dec 16 with 753 viewsRon11

What a DISASTER? on 16:58 - Dec 16 by dwayne_dibley

finally some common sense

What a DISASTER? on 09:56 - Dec 17 with 657 viewsdwayne_dibley

What a DISASTER? on 22:12 - Dec 16 by Ron11

What a DISASTER? on 09:57 - Dec 17 with 655 viewsgrumpy

Finally some common sense.
Sums this disaster up.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2020 9:59]
What a DISASTER? on 10:59 - Dec 17 with 633 viewsDellHero_Would

A far too “balanced” view Clint, are you sure you’ve got the right forum?

Unfortunately a lot of stuff posted on here now is by a few narrow minded embittered losers in life spouting diarrhea morning, noon and night.

Poll: Wearing a mask

What a DISASTER? on 14:04 - Dec 17 with 590 viewsdwayne_dibley

What a DISASTER? on 10:59 - Dec 17 by DellHero_Would

A far too “balanced” view Clint, are you sure you’ve got the right forum?

Unfortunately a lot of stuff posted on here now is by a few narrow minded embittered losers in life spouting diarrhea morning, noon and night.

too true, a dose of literary loperamide would be called for

we live in a connected world, full of greed and corruption. The Establishment released Covid to cleanse out the lower social classes and those that are a burden on the state finances. Seems to be working. The great & good and still butchering foxes and abusing minors, situation normal for them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024