Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hostage 22:26 - Jan 7 with 3170 viewsSaintNick

People think being a hostage is hard. I disagree I could do it with my hands tied behind my back.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Hostage on 14:32 - Jan 10 with 837 viewsDorsetIan

Hostage on 16:25 - Jan 9 by Ron11

Yes, it was 2001, just moved here and became a Saints fan. I have questioned my sanity occasionally since then though!

I hadn‘t thought of that. You survived being a hostage and 30 months under siege from Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Hostage on 15:02 - Jan 10 with 816 viewskentsouthampton

Hostage on 10:24 - Jan 9 by Ron11

I've never been able to sleep behind an unlocked door since, because they shot the lock off my door as I was going out of the window! But apart from that I came out of it pretty unscathed. Exxon Mobil arranged for trauma counselling for us when we got back to the UK (and one Canadian). I had mine in Salisbury over a few weeks, before I went back out there...
One of the main issues was the lack of security on the plant. The local 'MoPols' were either asleep or stoned out of their heads.
When I did get back out there, the security on site was being run by British ex special forces guys, both SAS and SBS which of course made us feel a lot safer.
After a couple of years my missus wanted me out of there - so we took on the Pensioners in Carlton Place for a couple of years....one amusing story about that place was when a Nigerian came in and said 'give me a pint of Guinness'. I asked him if they ever said 'please' or 'thank you' in his country to which he asked me how would I know. I told him the story and he couldn't stop apologising for the disgrace on his country! He came in a lot after that.
And three of the ex SBS lads who still lived in Poole dropped in occasionally, Stella was their brew of choice.
It always amused me after they had gone - all the regular drinkers said, 'who the fu ck were they?'
Cheers.

A very good friend of mine was a regular in there, John Henry, 6ft 4" tall red-headed Irishman.
Hostage on 22:12 - Jan 10 with 764 viewsRon11

Hostage on 15:02 - Jan 10 by kentsouthampton

A very good friend of mine was a regular in there, John Henry, 6ft 4" tall red-headed Irishman.

Was there for two years 2003-2005. I remember a 6' 4'' Mackem named John who was a regular.
Hostage on 10:23 - Jan 11 with 700 viewsBridders2

That's an incredible story Ron, great respect to you for coming through it. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Hostage on 13:49 - Jan 11 with 674 viewsRon11

Hostage on 10:23 - Jan 11 by Bridders2

That's an incredible story Ron, great respect to you for coming through it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks Bridders.
The fact that they came and apologised before leaving just goes to show that there's good and bad in every race of people....
Hostage on 13:57 - Jan 11 with 672 viewsChesham_Saint

Hostage on 16:25 - Jan 9 by Ron11

Yes, it was 2001, just moved here and became a Saints fan. I have questioned my sanity occasionally since then though!

Reminds me of a friend of mine who, after a serious accident, had to appear before a medical panel to assess his mental trauma. He wasn’t sure what to say until I told him just to show his Saints Season ticket.

The ultimate prima facie evidence of some form or mental disorder - well at least if feels like it at times..!

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Hostage on 17:59 - Jan 11 with 640 viewsRon11

Hostage on 13:57 - Jan 11 by Chesham_Saint

Reminds me of a friend of mine who, after a serious accident, had to appear before a medical panel to assess his mental trauma. He wasn’t sure what to say until I told him just to show his Saints Season ticket.

The ultimate prima facie evidence of some form or mental disorder - well at least if feels like it at times..!

It's officially known as 'Rollercoaster Disorder'.
A form of depression where you never know if you're up or down.
Hostage on 18:08 - Jan 11 with 635 viewsBerber

Hostage on 17:59 - Jan 11 by Ron11

It's officially known as 'Rollercoaster Disorder'.
A form of depression where you never know if you're up or down.

Isn't that penile disfunction?
Login to get fewer ads

Hostage on 18:17 - Jan 11 with 631 views1885_SFC

Hostage on 18:08 - Jan 11 by Berber

Nah. That's 130itus.

Old School is Cool

Hostage on 19:34 - Jan 11 with 622 viewsRon11

Hostage on 18:08 - Jan 11 by Berber

It's hard to tell.
Hostage on 13:08 - Jan 12 with 581 viewsMeonsaint

On the subject of being held hostage. My experience was only brief but never the less one I will never forget.
This is what I wrote on Linkedin. A true story from 2014.

A year later I joined an outfit in Iraq. This was to have an everlasting effect on me.

It was 10pm on a Saturday night in February and there was a knock at my door at lodgings in Erbil, Northern Iraq. I looked out and noticed 2 people at the door both dressed in military uniform. I asked them what they wanted and they said “we have to come to view your papers “. I politely requested that they come back another day as it was late. They were insistent that they viewed them immediately and after checking their ID, I like an idiot unbolted the many locks and let them in. Little and Large only spoke Pigeon English so I called my boss and handed them the phone. He confirmed that their intentions were honest. Not only had they fooled the security guards outside but also my boss and yours truly. My gut feeling was not quite right with these 2 burkes and once they had finished checking that nobody else was present in the building, they bundled me into a back room with me kicking and punching trying to land as many hard hits as I could. This was quickly stifled as the larger one pulled a hand gun out of his pocket and proceeded to ram it into the side of my head. They then tied me up, blindfolded me put a tourniquet in my mouth to stop me yelling obscenities at them which was mostly making references to their Mothers and made me kneel against the wall where they tried to knock me out by pistol whipping me. Growing up in Southampton I had been involved in a few scuffles in my youth but nothing had prepared me for this situation. It was fair to say that I was now in a spot of bother ! Surprisingly I remained calm throughout the ordeal and tried to think positively. I knew I was well insured and if this cowardly Iraqi was going to pull the trigger then at least the mortgage back home would have been paid off. It is amazing what goes through someone’s mind when faced with imminent death. I was thinking that I had not said goodbye to my loved ones, not witnessed my football team lift another trophy since 1976, not seen my daughters get married not fully rebounded yet. Funnily enough I was angry with my old clients at the time, if Hewlett Packard had not reduced the contract margin from 25% to 6% or if Computacentre had not employed a Master Vendor then I would be at home walking my choccy Labrador “Crunchie” around the lush green fields of Hampshire. The reality was that I was staying in a dingy apartment in Iraq being held against my will at gun point. They both decided to leave me unguarded and commenced to ransack every room. It was now that I realised that they were just robbers and not Islamic terrorists which was a huge relief as I wasn’t looking forward to being kidnapped. As I heard them smash everything in site, I managed to nudge the blindfold up and noticed a window that was slightly ajar. Some Syrian guys had been smoking earlier in the day and lucky for me they had not shut the window properly. This was my opportunity for freedom. I used to play a lot of football and I treated it as a brave near post header, so I jumped head first taking the window frame and showers of glass with me and landed 6 feet below on a hard surface. There was a problem with the irrigation and the sewage system outside and it was pouring with rain at the time so I was literally covered in glass, blood, the smelly brown stuff and soaked to the skin. I was thinking “I am 50 years of age this shouldn’t be happening to me, I always considered myself an easy going guy who wants to help people”. But I was alive. Immediately raised the alarm and one of the neighbours who was a member of the Iraqi Parliament and he called the police and 20 minutes later the local plod turned up. I was taken back to the station cleaned up, given hot a cup of black sweet tea and given an apology on behalf of the Kurdish people. They never took finger prints or roped off the scene of crime just asked me to look at a number of photos of criminals. Despite them having CCTV it was difficult to make out who they were. To this day I am convinced the security guards were involved but they never caught the culprits. The next day I was playing football for our works team on the Mosul Road. None of us realised that within a few weeks we would be only 25 minutes away from newly formed devil group ISIS.
Hostage on 14:03 - Jan 12 with 558 viewsChesham_Saint

Hostage on 13:08 - Jan 12 by Meonsaint

On the subject of being held hostage. My experience was only brief but never the less one I will never forget.

A year later I joined an outfit in Iraq. This was to have an everlasting effect on me.

It was 10pm on a Saturday night in February and there was a knock at my door at lodgings in Erbil, Northern Iraq. I looked out and noticed 2 people at the door both dressed in military uniform. I asked them what they wanted and they said “we have to come to view your papers “. I politely requested that they come back another day as it was late. They were insistent that they viewed them immediately and after checking their ID, I like an idiot unbolted the many locks and let them in. Little and Large only spoke Pigeon English so I called my boss and handed them the phone. He confirmed that their intentions were honest. Not only had they fooled the security guards outside but also my boss and yours truly. My gut feeling was not quite right with these 2 burkes and once they had finished checking that nobody else was present in the building, they bundled me into a back room with me kicking and punching trying to land as many hard hits as I could. This was quickly stifled as the larger one pulled a hand gun out of his pocket and proceeded to ram it into the side of my head. They then tied me up, blindfolded me put a tourniquet in my mouth to stop me yelling obscenities at them which was mostly making references to their Mothers and made me kneel against the wall where they tried to knock me out by pistol whipping me. Growing up in Southampton I had been involved in a few scuffles in my youth but nothing had prepared me for this situation. It was fair to say that I was now in a spot of bother ! Surprisingly I remained calm throughout the ordeal and tried to think positively. I knew I was well insured and if this cowardly Iraqi was going to pull the trigger then at least the mortgage back home would have been paid off. It is amazing what goes through someone’s mind when faced with imminent death. I was thinking that I had not said goodbye to my loved ones, not witnessed my football team lift another trophy since 1976, not seen my daughters get married not fully rebounded yet. Funnily enough I was angry with my old clients at the time, if Hewlett Packard had not reduced the contract margin from 25% to 6% or if Computacentre had not employed a Master Vendor then I would be at home walking my choccy Labrador “Crunchie” around the lush green fields of Hampshire. The reality was that I was staying in a dingy apartment in Iraq being held against my will at gun point. They both decided to leave me unguarded and commenced to ransack every room. It was now that I realised that they were just robbers and not Islamic terrorists which was a huge relief as I wasn’t looking forward to being kidnapped. As I heard them smash everything in site, I managed to nudge the blindfold up and noticed a window that was slightly ajar. Some Syrian guys had been smoking earlier in the day and lucky for me they had not shut the window properly. This was my opportunity for freedom. I used to play a lot of football and I treated it as a brave near post header, so I jumped head first taking the window frame and showers of glass with me and landed 6 feet below on a hard surface. There was a problem with the irrigation and the sewage system outside and it was pouring with rain at the time so I was literally covered in glass, blood, the smelly brown stuff and soaked to the skin. I was thinking “I am 50 years of age this shouldn’t be happening to me, I always considered myself an easy going guy who wants to help people”. But I was alive. Immediately raised the alarm and one of the neighbours who was a member of the Iraqi Parliament and he called the police and 20 minutes later the local plod turned up. I was taken back to the station cleaned up, given hot a cup of black sweet tea and given an apology on behalf of the Kurdish people. They never took finger prints or roped off the scene of crime just asked me to look at a number of photos of criminals. Despite them having CCTV it was difficult to make out who they were. To this day I am convinced the security guards were involved but they never caught the culprits. The next day I was playing football for our works team on the Mosul Road. None of us realised that within a few weeks we would be only 25 minutes away from newly formed devil group ISIS.

Another torrid tale. I hope you’ve recovered but that sort of thing must leave both physical and mental scars.

Btw by ‘Computercentre’ you mean Computacenter?

Hostage on 16:29 - Jan 12 with 528 viewsJaySaint

Respect to you Sir!

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Hostage on 17:52 - Jan 12 with 503 viewsMeonsaint

Hostage on 14:03 - Jan 12 by Chesham_Saint

Another torrid tale. I hope you’ve recovered but that sort of thing must leave both physical and mental scars.

Btw by ‘Computercentre’ you mean Computacenter?

I am all good thanks. No worse than watching Saints in the 70s against either Man U, Chelsea or Millwall. Now that was hairy !
You are right it's spelled Computacentre. They were a good customer of mine from Hatfield.
Hostage on 17:53 - Jan 12 with 502 viewsMeonsaint

Hostage on 16:29 - Jan 12 by JaySaint

Respect to you Sir!

Cheers Jay
Hostage on 18:16 - Jan 12 with 493 viewsChesham_Saint

Hostage on 17:52 - Jan 12 by Meonsaint

I am all good thanks. No worse than watching Saints in the 70s against either Man U, Chelsea or Millwall. Now that was hairy !
You are right it's spelled Computacentre. They were a good customer of mine from Hatfield.

It’s spelled Computacenter, Meon - I used to work for them in Hatfield for a while.

Hostage on 21:18 - Jan 12 with 469 viewsbattler

Bloody hell massive respect for both of you with your experiences.
Whilst serving in the RN I was deployed to a couple of dodgy hotspots in the world but you two took it to another level.
Ron, as for the SBS, had one or two dealings with them briefly and they were top blokes. Just dont mess with them and I am glad they are on our side.
Hostage on 15:40 - Jan 13 with 409 viewsRon11

Hostage on 21:18 - Jan 12 by battler

Whilst serving in the RN I was deployed to a couple of dodgy hotspots in the world but you two took it to another level.
Ron, as for the SBS, had one or two dealings with them briefly and they were top blokes. Just dont mess with them and I am glad they are on our side.

They are indeed.
One of them was Brian Tilley.
Google the name!
Hostage on 15:56 - Jan 13 with 405 viewsRon11

As you say, it's an experience you'll never forget. The one that always comes back to me was being face down on the deck at 5am, being attacked by mosquitoes and a large Nigerian with his knee on my neck and a sawn off shotgun at the back of my head telling me that I was going to be the first one to die!
Unfortunately three years later, one of the SBS guys brought in there to provide proper security in 2001 after the incident had moved on to Iraq and suffered a similar situation to you with a much worse result. Google Brian Tilley.
Hostage on 16:37 - Jan 13 with 400 views1885_SFC

Hostage on 21:18 - Jan 12 by battler

Indeed. During the Falklands War, we had a handful of both SBS and Commando's onboard & with space being tight on a Type 42, a couple of them were down my mess. Good lads all of them. They were tasked with finding Argentine aircraft that were shot down in previous weeks & recovering any bodies before they were repatriated back to Argentina. Some of the lads took photos for their grim photo albums. They all had one thing in common; each & every one of them were complete nutters!

Old School is Cool

Hostage on 16:46 - Jan 13 with 390 viewsRon11

Hostage on 16:37 - Jan 13 by 1885_SFC

Indeed. During the Falklands War, we had a handful of both SBS and Commando's onboard & with space being tight on a Type 42, a couple of them were down my mess. Good lads all of them. They were tasked with finding Argentine aircraft that were shot down in previous weeks & recovering any bodies before they were repatriated back to Argentina. Some of the lads took photos for their grim photo albums. They all had one thing in common; each & every one of them were complete nutters!

One of our later deployed security men in Nigeria, Brian Tilley may well have been one of them.
He was decorated for his part in an attack launched from a RN Hunter Killer which destroyed several
Argentine Pukara low level attack aircraft on one of their remote airstrips.
Hostage on 16:50 - Jan 13 with 388 viewsMeonsaint

Hostage on 15:56 - Jan 13 by Ron11

As you say, it's an experience you'll never forget. The one that always comes back to me was being face down on the deck at 5am, being attacked by mosquitoes and a large Nigerian with his knee on my neck and a sawn off shotgun at the back of my head telling me that I was going to be the first one to die!
Unfortunately three years later, one of the SBS guys brought in there to provide proper security in 2001 after the incident had moved on to Iraq and suffered a similar situation to you with a much worse result. Google Brian Tilley.

Bloody ell. Poor buggar, that is a horrifying way to go. 47 too young to die.
Hostage on 16:57 - Jan 13 with 381 viewsJaySaint

Hostage on 15:40 - Jan 13 by Ron11

They are indeed.
One of them was Brian Tilley.
Google the name!

Just did

Blooming hell!!!

I know where their base is, and seen helicopters coming and going when staying near by.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Hostage on 17:07 - Jan 13 with 372 views1885_SFC

Hostage on 16:46 - Jan 13 by Ron11

One of our later deployed security men in Nigeria, Brian Tilley may well have been one of them.
He was decorated for his part in an attack launched from a RN Hunter Killer which destroyed several
Argentine Pukara low level attack aircraft on one of their remote airstrips.

Wouldn't surprise me Ron. They were good lads, they really were. They all drank like fish by the way! If you ever got in trouble in a dodgy bar somewhere in some far flung corner of the world - then you'd definitely want those lads on your side!

Old School is Cool

Hostage on 18:11 - Jan 13 with 345 viewsRon11

Hostage on 17:07 - Jan 13 by 1885_SFC

Wouldn't surprise me Ron. They were good lads, they really were. They all drank like fish by the way! If you ever got in trouble in a dodgy bar somewhere in some far flung corner of the world - then you'd definitely want those lads on your side!

I went back out there when I learned that those lads would be running the security.
Our previous 'runs ashore' to bush bars been unaccompanied but after that we had to be with two of those lads.
Brian Tilley was with us one night sitting drinking in one such establishment (95% of the time trouble free) when we were approached by a couple of 'unfriendlies' bent on violent robbery. Tilley opened his jacket and let them have a good look, at which they appeared to decide to move away rapidly. I asked him what he had showed them, and he replied with just the one word.
'Glock'..
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 18:12]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024