Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is Brexit 21:19 - Jan 18 with 3667 viewsinthebox

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/18/fishing-trucks-protest-at-westm
This is Brexit on 21:58 - Jan 18 with 2573 views1885_SFC

I see that trampoline prices are going up by 50% due to Brexit.

Let's hope they bounce back after the spring.

Old School is Cool

This is Brexit on 04:45 - Jan 19 with 2524 viewskernow

Turkey's voting for Christmas springs to mind.
This is Brexit on 07:58 - Jan 19 with 2496 viewsSalisburySaint

This is Brexit on 04:45 - Jan 19 by kernow

Turkey's voting for Christmas springs to mind.

its ok we've got our sovereignty back
This is Brexit on 09:23 - Jan 19 with 2446 viewssaint22

hardly surprising, we all knew and it will only get worse
oh the fishing rights, oh the nhs, oh our little country, what a total shambles
This is Brexit on 09:25 - Jan 19 with 2452 viewsdirk_doone

It's going to take us a very long time to get back into the EU but by the time we do, Brexit will have already destroyed the UK. The Russians must be laughing their heads off at what their subversive propaganda campaigns have achieved in the UK and USA.

There was also considerable money invested in the campaign. The money Arron Banks poured into the Brexit campaign and with which he paid Farage, came from Russia.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/09/arron-banks-russia-brexit-meeti

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/18/brexiters-damage-horse-rac
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 13:05]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

This is Brexit on 09:36 - Jan 19 with 2446 viewsBerber

I've seen a few media published examples of people complaining because THEY have not filled in the requisite forms correctly. Like "I lost 24 hours because I filled in UK instead of GB." As they say in the IT support industry, RTFM.
This is Brexit on 09:37 - Jan 19 with 2445 viewssaints__fan__73

This is Brexit on 09:25 - Jan 19 by dirk_doone

It's going to take us a very long time to get back into the EU but by the time we do, Brexit will have already destroyed the UK. The Russians must be laughing their heads off at what their subversive propaganda campaigns have achieved in the UK and USA.

There was also considerable money invested in the campaign. The money Arron Banks poured into the Brexit campaign and with which he paid Farage, came from Russia.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jun/09/arron-banks-russia-brexit-meeti

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/18/brexiters-damage-horse-rac
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 13:05]

Yes, that's it. The long-standing issues a large % of the British population have with the EU and the fact that they never have felt remotely 'European' is all due to.. **checks notes** the Russians!

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

This is Brexit on 09:51 - Jan 19 with 2432 viewskernow

This is Brexit on 09:37 - Jan 19 by saints__fan__73

Yes, that's it. The long-standing issues a large % of the British population have with the EU and the fact that they never have felt remotely 'European' is all due to.. **checks notes** the Russians!

The Russians, Murdoch, Rothermere, the Barclay Brothers, Tory grandees and nostalgic little Englanders.

Fishermen overwhelmingly voted for Brexit, they have to now live with the consequences.

Couldn't gaf !
Login to get fewer ads

This is Brexit on 10:03 - Jan 19 with 2411 viewsdirk_doone

This is Brexit on 09:51 - Jan 19 by kernow

The Russians, Murdoch, Rothermere, the Barclay Brothers, Tory grandees and nostalgic little Englanders.

Fishermen overwhelmingly voted for Brexit, they have to now live with the consequences.

Couldn't gaf !

Yes, together they won the propaganda war to influence the relatively small percentage of undecided voters needed to tip the balance in favour of Brexit. Opinion polls both before and after have shown consistently that the majority of people in the UK were and still are in favour of remaining in the EU but an intense online propaganda campaign in the few weeks leading up to the referendum just managed to get Brexit over the line.

Also they invested considerable amounts of money in it. The money with which the Brexit campaign's biggest financial backer, Arron Banks, paid Nigel Farage and funded his campaign came from Russia.

It was obviously not in Boris's best interests to have this widely known so key parts of the intelligence report were and still are censored.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/russia-used-web-posts-to-disrupt-brexit-

[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 13:32]

This is Brexit on 11:05 - Jan 19 with 2353 viewssaints__fan__73

This is Brexit on 10:03 - Jan 19 by dirk_doone

Yes, together they won the propaganda war to influence the relatively small percentage of undecided voters needed to tip the balance in favour of Brexit. Opinion polls both before and after have shown consistently that the majority of people in the UK were and still are in favour of remaining in the EU but an intense online propaganda campaign in the few weeks leading up to the referendum just managed to get Brexit over the line.

Also they invested considerable amounts of money in it. The money with which the Brexit campaign's biggest financial backer, Arron Banks, paid Nigel Farage and funded his campaign came from Russia.

It was obviously not in Boris's best interests to have this widely known so key parts of the intelligence report were and still are censored.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/russia-used-web-posts-to-disrupt-brexit-

WALOB. Rightly or wrongly there has always been a huge anti-EU feeling in the UK. You just need to look at election results to see that.

Farage invented a new Party about a month before the last Euro elections and got a large % of the UK population to vote for it on the strength of feeling towards the EU alone.

And most stunningly of all. LABOUR voters in Northern MINING towns elected TORY MPs on the strength of getting out of the EU.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

This is Brexit on 11:10 - Jan 19 with 2352 viewskernow

This is Brexit on 11:05 - Jan 19 by saints__fan__73

WALOB. Rightly or wrongly there has always been a huge anti-EU feeling in the UK. You just need to look at election results to see that.

Farage invented a new Party about a month before the last Euro elections and got a large % of the UK population to vote for it on the strength of feeling towards the EU alone.

And most stunningly of all. LABOUR voters in Northern MINING towns elected TORY MPs on the strength of getting out of the EU.

Johnson was elected on 40 % of the vote.
If that's democracy it's flawed.
This is Brexit on 11:42 - Jan 19 with 2334 viewsBerber

This is Brexit on 10:03 - Jan 19 by dirk_doone

I've posted it before, I voted to remain, however, contrary to your hopes I think the longer we are out, the more people will be content with it. The Brexiteers had a much stronger message, sovreign freedom to deal with whoever we want on our own negotiated terms. The remain camp had an abysmal campaign, mostly citing that we were "forecasted" to be financially better off if we remained as the only real benefit, with most of the others cutting both ways, such as freedom of movement.

Now that we are out, the EU federalist approach will accelerate (after Covid) and the Brexiteers will have a bigger target to aim at. Now that the majority of the voting population have both voted for Brexit, and a government who majored on making it happen (only a year ago), as a democrat, I am happy to go along with the rest of the nation, and suspect, that by the time any possibility of a vote on the matter re-surfaces, I won't be around to fret about the outcome.
This is Brexit on 11:50 - Jan 19 with 2325 viewsdirk_doone

This is Brexit on 11:05 - Jan 19 by saints__fan__73

You are very naive about how and why propaganda campaigns operate. Most elections and referendums are determined by a very small number of swing/undecided voters and they are heavily influenced by well-timed, effective propaganda.

This is a compilation of all of the opinion polls and it is used by government departments:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-there-was-a-referendum-on-britains-memb
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 11:53]

This is Brexit on 12:49 - Jan 19 with 2264 viewsBazza

This is Brexit on 11:42 - Jan 19 by Berber

I've posted it before, I voted to remain, however, contrary to your hopes I think the longer we are out, the more people will be content with it. The Brexiteers had a much stronger message, sovreign freedom to deal with whoever we want on our own negotiated terms. The remain camp had an abysmal campaign, mostly citing that we were "forecasted" to be financially better off if we remained as the only real benefit, with most of the others cutting both ways, such as freedom of movement.

Now that we are out, the EU federalist approach will accelerate (after Covid) and the Brexiteers will have a bigger target to aim at. Now that the majority of the voting population have both voted for Brexit, and a government who majored on making it happen (only a year ago), as a democrat, I am happy to go along with the rest of the nation, and suspect, that by the time any possibility of a vote on the matter re-surfaces, I won't be around to fret about the outcome.

Well said Berber. Some people on here seem to think the democratic vote is only valid if it supports their view on life. Many times I have been on the losing side of general elections (voting Lab and Con at different times) and notably the 1975 referendum on the Common Market. So I'm quite used to waiting in the hope that things might change.
What a lot of twaddle by Dirk and others. The country is not facing 'being destroyed'. The Secret Service even bugged Harold Wilson and our Secret Service was polluted with numerous spies working for Russia but we're still here.
This is Brexit on 13:00 - Jan 19 with 2250 viewsSalisburySaint

This is Brexit on 12:49 - Jan 19 by Bazza

Well said Berber. Some people on here seem to think the democratic vote is only valid if it supports their view on life. Many times I have been on the losing side of general elections (voting Lab and Con at different times) and notably the 1975 referendum on the Common Market. So I'm quite used to waiting in the hope that things might change.
What a lot of twaddle by Dirk and others. The country is not facing 'being destroyed'. The Secret Service even bugged Harold Wilson and our Secret Service was polluted with numerous spies working for Russia but we're still here.

I voted Remain but have long since accepted that we would leave, and know we have to get on with it

All some like me are doing is highlighting the effects of Brexit as it is happening, many of the things that were supposed to be "Project Fear" are actually occurring now as we warned, but many leavers don't seem to accept that these are the consequence of their decision to leave.

I feel sorry for many fishermen and farmers voted leave and have been betrayed by the final agreement.
This is Brexit on 13:43 - Jan 19 with 2229 viewsdirk_doone

This is Brexit on 12:49 - Jan 19 by Bazza

If you sincerely believe that the UK won't break up, with the eventual departure of Scotland and Northern Ireland prompted by Brexit, then I hope that you are right and I am wrong.

This is Brexit on 14:03 - Jan 19 with 2214 viewsChesham_Saint

Stumbled on to this thread in error and it reminded me of those WW1 generals forever fighting the battles of the last war...

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

This is Brexit on 14:35 - Jan 19 with 2202 viewsSaintNick

This is Brexit on 13:43 - Jan 19 by dirk_doone

If you sincerely believe that the UK won't break up, with the eventual departure of Scotland and Northern Ireland prompted by Brexit, then I hope that you are right and I am wrong.

Lets be clear about Scotland, the aim of the SNP is purely an independent Scotland, above any other consideration, Brexit for the SNP is a convenient stick to beat the Government with, if we had voted to remain they would still have found another way to demand that Scotland could leave the UK

In Northern Ireland it is nothing to do with Brexit or even politics it is all on the religious divide, if you are Catholic you want to leave the UK and join the republic and if you are Protestant you want to remain in the UK

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

This is Brexit on 14:41 - Jan 19 with 2199 viewsSaintNick

This is Brexit on 13:00 - Jan 19 by SalisburySaint

I voted Remain but have long since accepted that we would leave, and know we have to get on with it

All some like me are doing is highlighting the effects of Brexit as it is happening, many of the things that were supposed to be "Project Fear" are actually occurring now as we warned, but many leavers don't seem to accept that these are the consequence of their decision to leave.

I feel sorry for many fishermen and farmers voted leave and have been betrayed by the final agreement.

"I voted Remain but have long since accepted that we would leave, and know we have to get on with it"

This sums up my position, but getting on with it means giving it time to sort itself out, the first weeks were always going to be difficult, but we cant judge whether it is turning out to be a good or bad thing after less than 3 weeks as such.

As the statement above says we have to get on with it, no one said it would be easy, but it was a democratic vote and now we have to deal with it.

Personally I still feel that we should be part of a European community, but after the petty bureaucracy and behaviour of certain EU politicians I have questioned whether we might be better out of it in the long run

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

This is Brexit on 14:59 - Jan 19 with 2192 viewsBerber

This is Brexit on 11:10 - Jan 19 by kernow

Johnson was elected on 40 % of the vote.
If that's democracy it's flawed.

People are entitled to not vote as well, for whatever reason, however, they have to be prepared to get what they are given if they can't be @rsed to get out and make a difference.
This is Brexit on 15:01 - Jan 19 with 2186 viewsdirk_doone

This is Brexit on 14:41 - Jan 19 by SaintNick

"I voted Remain but have long since accepted that we would leave, and know we have to get on with it"

This sums up my position, but getting on with it means giving it time to sort itself out, the first weeks were always going to be difficult, but we cant judge whether it is turning out to be a good or bad thing after less than 3 weeks as such.

As the statement above says we have to get on with it, no one said it would be easy, but it was a democratic vote and now we have to deal with it.

Personally I still feel that we should be part of a European community, but after the petty bureaucracy and behaviour of certain EU politicians I have questioned whether we might be better out of it in the long run

A balanced view, Nick. Let's face it, apart from a bit of idle chatter like this, there aren't any violent anti-Brexit demonstrations out in the streets like those in America, where Trump's supporters want to overthrow the result of the election. If Brexiters had lost, there would have been just as much idle chatter and probably a few demonstrations as well.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:03]

This is Brexit on 15:18 - Jan 19 with 2164 viewsSaintsforeverj

This is Brexit on 15:01 - Jan 19 by dirk_doone

A balanced view, Nick. Let's face it, apart from a bit of idle chatter like this, there aren't any violent anti-Brexit demonstrations out in the streets like those in America, where Trump's supporters want to overthrow the result of the election. If Brexiters had lost, there would have been just as much idle chatter and probably a few demonstrations as well.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:03]

There were lots of anti brexit protests before the election, mainly because they thought they had a chance to cancel the referendum. This was based on Lib Dems promising to cancel brexit and Labour offering a remain / remain referendum. The people spoke in December, with many disgusted with people trying to destroy democracy, even remain voters.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:19]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

This is Brexit on 15:19 - Jan 19 with 2163 viewsallsaint

This is Brexit on 14:35 - Jan 19 by SaintNick

Lets be clear about Scotland, the aim of the SNP is purely an independent Scotland, above any other consideration, Brexit for the SNP is a convenient stick to beat the Government with, if we had voted to remain they would still have found another way to demand that Scotland could leave the UK

In Northern Ireland it is nothing to do with Brexit or even politics it is all on the religious divide, if you are Catholic you want to leave the UK and join the republic and if you are Protestant you want to remain in the UK

This is a very simplistic view of the position in the north of Ireland Nick.
This may have been the case at one time but more people from the traditional unionist view are starting to see a case for a united Ireland. Brexit has made this worse as many unionists feel betrayed and let down by the British Government and Boris Johnson in particular.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:20]

The meat’s the same, the gravy’s different

This is Brexit on 16:25 - Jan 19 with 2123 viewsWints76

This is Brexit on 14:41 - Jan 19 by SaintNick

Agreed, we voted to leave, so have to do it, though I still can't see how it will improve our lives. That bit about the petty squabbling etc from the EU though, I see that, but also see it from our Government in spades as well. Really, I think we are living during times that our great grandchildren will study, and I am not sure how our current leaders around the Globe are going to look. Have had enough of it all.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 16:34]
This is Brexit on 16:34 - Jan 19 with 2109 viewsgrumpy

This is Brexit on 15:19 - Jan 19 by allsaint

This is a very simplistic view of the position in the north of Ireland Nick.
This may have been the case at one time but more people from the traditional unionist view are starting to see a case for a united Ireland. Brexit has made this worse as many unionists feel betrayed and let down by the British Government and Boris Johnson in particular.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2021 15:20]

Well said, allsaint.
Brexit will and has divided the Union.
The Scottish people voted to remain part of the union when we were part of the EU,now we have left (the majority there voted to remain) we have handed the SNP the perfect argument to be independent.
N. Ireland feel cut off and will consider the for and against an united Ireland.
As people have said we now have to get on with it, but its the young I feel for tho.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024