Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brentford and taking the knee 21:48 - Feb 13 with 8492 views1ASIN12

Just read this on the bbc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56057908

Wonder how it will be received and if more clubs will follow suit or will Brentford have a rethink?

Has the “taking the knee” lost the impact as Brentford have stated .

Brentford and taking the knee on 21:49 - Feb 13 with 4121 viewsJaySaint

Not sure it has had any impact....

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Brentford and taking the knee on 22:10 - Feb 13 with 4076 viewsSonicBoom

I think it worked. It raised awareness and got the issue of race talked about. It helped put the spotlight on things like online abuse and finally there seems to be some action being taken.
However, as a 'gesture' its probably run its course. Its become perfunctory now and the impact is gone now its become the normal.
Brentford and taking the knee on 22:29 - Feb 13 with 4060 viewsSaintsforeverj

Only last week, players including one of ours were racially abused on social media. So has it worked? What impact did it have, if players are still being racially abused, only last week?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 22:30]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Brentford and taking the knee on 22:39 - Feb 13 with 4037 viewshedgeend61

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/21/why-qpr-have-stopped-taking-a-k

Queens Park Rangers stopped 5 months ago.
Brentford and taking the knee on 22:46 - Feb 13 with 4025 viewskingslandstand1

Brentford and taking the knee on 22:29 - Feb 13 by Saintsforeverj

Only last week, players including one of ours were racially abused on social media. So has it worked? What impact did it have, if players are still being racially abused, only last week?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 22:30]

It's probably proved it hasn't worked in eradicating the issue, but it has cetainlt raised even more awareness of the siuation

The big campaign now must be to stop the Social media companies from allowing the abuse to get throug their systems
Brentford and taking the knee on 22:59 - Feb 13 with 4013 viewsSaintsforeverj

Brentford and taking the knee on 22:46 - Feb 13 by kingslandstand1

It's probably proved it hasn't worked in eradicating the issue, but it has cetainlt raised even more awareness of the siuation

The big campaign now must be to stop the Social media companies from allowing the abuse to get throug their systems

Totally agree with your last paragraph. This is what they should have done in the first place, instead of naively thinking that nasty racists would take a blind bit of notice of players going on one knee. Get tough on the racists, trace the twitter posters who were being racist, send them a 50 thousand pound fine and community service. Bet that stops them more than a few players taking the knee.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 23:16]

Brentford and taking the knee on 23:24 - Feb 13 with 3978 viewsScrappy2020

As an elderly Saints supporter if I can took the knee I couldn't get up!!
Brentford and taking the knee on 23:29 - Feb 13 with 3973 viewsScrappy2020

Login to get fewer ads

Brentford and taking the knee on 23:37 - Feb 13 with 3966 viewsSaintsforeverj

Brentford and taking the knee on 23:29 - Feb 13 by Scrappy2020

Could you get someone to lift you? 😁
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 23:51]

Brentford and taking the knee on 00:52 - Feb 14 with 3911 viewsBicester_North

American copying shite.

People that want to copy the yanks are such misguided c*nts, and yet impressionable UK helmets keep doing it.

Why would we want to keep trying to follow the most f*cked up, racially divided country in the west?
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 0:53]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Brentford and taking the knee on 09:12 - Feb 14 with 3781 viewsJaySaint

Brentford and taking the knee on 22:59 - Feb 13 by Saintsforeverj

Totally agree with your last paragraph. This is what they should have done in the first place, instead of naively thinking that nasty racists would take a blind bit of notice of players going on one knee. Get tough on the racists, trace the twitter posters who were being racist, send them a 50 thousand pound fine and community service. Bet that stops them more than a few players taking the knee.

how do you propose issuing fines to anonymous accounts?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Brentford and taking the knee on 09:22 - Feb 14 with 3767 viewsdwayne_dibley

Brentford and taking the knee on 23:37 - Feb 13 by Saintsforeverj

Could you get someone to lift you? 😁
[Post edited 13 Feb 2021 23:51]

would cost £10,000 for breaching lockdown rules unless you are a celebrity or a politician

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Brentford and taking the knee on 11:44 - Feb 14 with 3687 viewskingslandstand1

Brentford and taking the knee on 09:22 - Feb 14 by dwayne_dibley

would cost £10,000 for breaching lockdown rules unless you are a celebrity or a politician

Brentford and taking the knee on 16:53 - Feb 14 with 3539 viewsSadoldgit

Brentford and taking the knee on 22:59 - Feb 13 by Saintsforeverj

It wasn’t aimed at racists. It was done to raise awareness of the issue and to point out that the rest of it don’t think that racism is acceptable. It did its job but things need to be taken further now and those dishing out the racial abuse need to be identified and dealt with.
Brentford and taking the knee on 17:03 - Feb 14 with 3530 viewsDorsetIan

An anti-BLM (and anti-woke) stance is now being used a badge of honour by certain Tory politicians, to ingratiate themselves with part of their base.

It's exactly the same anti-liberal (they're all commies) type nonsense that Trump has been stirring up the MAGA lot with.

Even if it doesn't lead to an armed insurrection in Parliament square, it's all very divisive and it all encourages people with racist views to think that that somehow they are in the right.

There needs to be a sensible debate about the limits of free speech and an end to all this posturing.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Brentford and taking the knee on 19:25 - Feb 14 with 3481 viewsSaintsforeverj

Brentford and taking the knee on 16:53 - Feb 14 by Sadoldgit

It wasn’t aimed at racists. It was done to raise awareness of the issue and to point out that the rest of it don’t think that racism is acceptable. It did its job but things need to be taken further now and those dishing out the racial abuse need to be identified and dealt with.

But people being "more aware", is no help to a person still being racially abused by the racists. I can't see the point of doing something to stop racism if it doesn't stop it. Making already non racist people more aware, whilst the racists carry on, doesn't help anything and certainly not those still on the receiving end. Surely if it's not aimed at the racists (the ones causing the issue) then what's the point of aiming it at the non racists? They are already aware that racism is wrong. We should be aiming education at the racists so that they understand why it's wrong and consequences do they don't do it.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 19:29]

Brentford and taking the knee on 19:33 - Feb 14 with 3470 viewsSadoldgit

Brentford and taking the knee on 19:25 - Feb 14 by Saintsforeverj

But people being "more aware", is no help to a person still being racially abused by the racists. I can't see the point of doing something to stop racism if it doesn't stop it. Making already non racist people more aware, whilst the racists carry on, doesn't help anything and certainly not those still on the receiving end. Surely if it's not aimed at the racists (the ones causing the issue) then what's the point of aiming it at the non racists? They are already aware that racism is wrong. We should be aiming education at the racists so that they understand why it's wrong and consequences do they don't do it.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 19:29]

Then why do anything at all? The whole point was to send a loud message that it is not acceptable, which it clearly did. I don’t think anyone for one mintier thought that kneeling down would stop racism in football. The more people that stand up and say it is not acceptable and call it out when it happens, the less room there is for racists to operate. Don’t you think that black players have been heartened by the support shown by non black players? As they say in Tescos, every little helps.
Brentford and taking the knee on 19:42 - Feb 14 with 3459 viewsSaintsforeverj

Brentford and taking the knee on 19:33 - Feb 14 by Sadoldgit

Then why do anything at all? The whole point was to send a loud message that it is not acceptable, which it clearly did. I don’t think anyone for one mintier thought that kneeling down would stop racism in football. The more people that stand up and say it is not acceptable and call it out when it happens, the less room there is for racists to operate. Don’t you think that black players have been heartened by the support shown by non black players? As they say in Tescos, every little helps.

The problem is, the message wasn't loud and clear enough as only last week players were racially abused. Players were going down on one knee because they were told to. Souness and Keane wore black lives matter badges and rainbow laces. It's not real though is it! They only did it because they were told to. I bet if the fine was 50 grand and they were forced to do community service live on TV (and better still lessons all week and education), I bet that would be a much stronger message! I think as a black person, I would be more heartened if I saw racists being firmly dealt with, rather than people wearing badges and doing things they have been told to do. Tesco need to do some more deals. Not enough buy one get one free stuff.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 20:06]

Brentford and taking the knee on 20:08 - Feb 14 with 3427 viewsDorsetIan

Brentford and taking the knee on 19:42 - Feb 14 by Saintsforeverj

The problem is, the message wasn't loud and clear enough as only last week players were racially abused. Players were going down on one knee because they were told to. Souness and Keane wore black lives matter badges and rainbow laces. It's not real though is it! They only did it because they were told to. I bet if the fine was 50 grand and they were forced to do community service live on TV (and better still lessons all week and education), I bet that would be a much stronger message! I think as a black person, I would be more heartened if I saw racists being firmly dealt with, rather than people wearing badges and doing things they have been told to do. Tesco need to do some more deals. Not enough buy one get one free stuff.

Racists have been emboldened because they can see their ideas about immigrants, muslims, celebration of empire, English nationalism, anti-liberalism, all becoming more and more mainstream.

Just look at the encouragement Trump gave to white supremacists in the US. The majority who voted for him didn't hold those views but the things he said, which everyone else liked, rang all the white supremacists' bells too.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Brentford and taking the knee on 23:32 - Feb 14 with 3371 viewsGasGiant

What taking the knee and the ever more saccharine voiceover platitudes from commentators does is to feed the race industry furnace now burning so fiercely that people cannot even be permitted to express their own honest opinion about racism without being accused of it. TV companies reinforce the message that racism is so abhorrent there is literally nothing to discuss. It is absolute and it is total. A recent example of this was the online abuse of Jankewitz. He committed a stupid unnecessary and deliberate foul in the first minute, got sent off and let both the side and the fans down. He received a lot of abuse for his rank stupidity, and some of it was undoubtably racist, but that proportion of racist abuse was inflated by the club, the BBC and the local media to imply that ALL the abuse he received was deemed to be racist simply because he is black ipso facto any abuse is therefore racist abuse. This is bull. Many fans - and I would say most fans - abused him as footballers have always been abused by fans down the decades without any reference to his colour, only his actions. The fan's unconditional support for the club has always been a separate thing from his conditional support for the individual players that make up the team, and his support for the players is conditional on them performing and doing their bit for him and the club. Look at the abuse Jack Stephens had had recently; if he messes up it is the fan's loyalty to the club that comes first, but we are now expected to believe that somehow any abuse of a white player is part of the game while any abuse of an ethic minority player must be racist, regardless of the content or the circumstance. Racism as a self owned, self defined and self policed construct is no more than a Get Out of Jail Free card, even if the abuse is for letting the side down, not for being a particular ethnicity. This unsubtle change is no accident, and slowly but surely the individual is allowing his or her own free will to be eroded. Of course some racism exists in this country, and always will, but the number and degree today is tiny compared to 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 years ago, because education over the last 60 years has worked, and it can never mentally re-align the thoughts of 100% of adults no matter how persuasive it is. If it was not for this charade that there are still tens of millions of racists in the UK with overt racist views it would be marginalised down to the few remaining far right nutcases, who can be identified and controlled. But BLM depends on this charade that most of the white population are covertly racist and must therefore be cowed into silence. It is a dangerous and false myth.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2021 23:34]
Brentford and taking the knee on 09:19 - Feb 15 with 3317 viewsSadoldgit

Brentford and taking the knee on 19:42 - Feb 14 by Saintsforeverj

Why can’t you have both? I have never suggested that the answer to the problem is to kneel down. The whole object of the exercise was to do something to say we don’t think is is acceptable. That doesn’t mean you don’t take action against the racists. Anyway, we can throw this back and forth all day long but the people who should make the calls on when it stops should be the people who are getting abused. I am sure there is nothing more patronising to them than white men telling them how they should protest against the abusers.
Brentford and taking the knee (n/t) on 09:26 - Feb 15 with 3307 viewsKennington

Don’t understand it as it was specifically taking the knee and turning away from the US flag and anthem. What flag are they turning from in this context, the premier league’s or Saints’?
[Post edited 15 Feb 2021 9:28]

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Brentford and taking the knee on 09:38 - Feb 15 with 3287 viewsSadoldgit

That was an American thing. We adapted the kneeling part.
Brentford and taking the knee on 10:47 - Feb 15 with 3265 viewsKennington

Brentford and taking the knee on 09:38 - Feb 15 by Sadoldgit

That was an American thing. We adapted the kneeling part.

But it doesn’t mean anything. A thirty second kneel to nothing. Might as well be standing with an anti racism banner as at least that would make sense.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Brentford and taking the knee on 15:45 - Feb 15 with 3211 viewsSaintsforeverj

Brentford and taking the knee on 10:47 - Feb 15 by Kennington

But it doesn’t mean anything. A thirty second kneel to nothing. Might as well be standing with an anti racism banner as at least that would make sense.

Exactly. What's the point of doing something that isn't stopping the problem? It's not education, it's not a consequence, it's just something they do because they have been told to do it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024