Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy 15:13 - Feb 14 with 2292 viewskingslandstand1

Without checking, but I think Nick said today was make or break for him between the sticks today

In commentary they asked why he was where he was a couple of times, he should maybe have saved the goal, although Vest did misread Neto's intent, but he should have been bigger in the goal to make the save. And right at the end, to back up 22, he should have cleared it straight up the middle and give us a chance for someone, but it went straight out for a throw in

I would imagine FF will be well pi55ed off if he doesn't start next week
McCarthy on 15:20 - Feb 14 with 2077 viewssaint22

Ralph got that massively wrong today and the fact he was losing it when he cleared that into touch at the end I would hope means FF stars next week
Not to mention his endless kicking issues and the fact he seems to be unable to cover at his near post
McCarthy on 15:45 - Feb 14 with 2035 views1ASIN12

I don’t think either goals we let in today were errors by McCarthy and none of the commentary team nor those in the studio ( platform ) blamed him either.

It seems that McCarthy is now the latest scapegoat from the fans, there was even one post on saintsweb trying to convince everybody that the 2nd he got beat at the near post .

It’s true we are not getting the luck as Alan Shearer and Karen Carney both stated either we both should have had a penalty or neither should.

We have also had a bad run of injury’s - but so have other sides - that’s not helped.

Like a lot of managers they don’t appear to have a plan B and Ralph falls into that category and today he was slow to react to Wolves changing tatics and improving the 2nd half abd the stats don’t lie about the number of points we have dropped from good positions
McCarthy on 15:51 - Feb 14 with 2017 viewsRon11

McCarthy on 15:45 - Feb 14 by 1ASIN12

I don’t think either goals we let in today were errors by McCarthy and none of the commentary team nor those in the studio ( platform ) blamed him either.

It seems that McCarthy is now the latest scapegoat from the fans, there was even one post on saintsweb trying to convince everybody that the 2nd he got beat at the near post .

It’s true we are not getting the luck as Alan Shearer and Karen Carney both stated either we both should have had a penalty or neither should.

We have also had a bad run of injury’s - but so have other sides - that’s not helped.

Like a lot of managers they don’t appear to have a plan B and Ralph falls into that category and today he was slow to react to Wolves changing tatics and improving the 2nd half abd the stats don’t lie about the number of points we have dropped from good positions

Well I saw him get beat at the near post. Angles as tight as that should be easily covered.
Far too casual, who would be so careless as to produce a kick out of play as useless as that with two minutes to go and one final chance of a point on the table if the ball was up the middle?
McCarthy on 15:54 - Feb 14 with 2010 views1885_SFC

I'm pretty sure that after today, we will see FF in goal for the Chelsea game.

Ralph's face said it all as McCarthy hoofed the ball out of play in the dying seconds...

Old School is Cool

McCarthy on 16:00 - Feb 14 with 1993 viewskingslandstand1

Although Neto's goal was without doubt a good goal the way he bent it round McCarthy, he should have made himself "bigger" as Smeichal does (and his dad used to) and I think Forster would have done so. I didn't say he would have saved it as there was a lot of power there, but I'd have liked to see him at least touch the ball

Regarding the commentary there was the time in the 2nd half when there was def confusion where he was too far out of his goal when Bertrand had the ball covered but his position put Bertrand under pressure and gave them a chance

Mistakes are made all over the pitch but he is in the unfortunate position where you can only have one keeper on the field at any one time and it is often a difficult decision to make as to who to play, but Forster has deserved his chance again when we have seen him play - obviously until he starts c0cking up again!
McCarthy on 16:01 - Feb 14 with 1988 viewskingslandstand1

McCarthy on 15:54 - Feb 14 by 1885_SFC

I'm pretty sure that after today, we will see FF in goal for the Chelsea game.

Ralph's face said it all as McCarthy hoofed the ball out of play in the dying seconds...

That's the one I was referring to and forgot about the look on Ralph's face as if to say FFS, and what could Ralph do about that from where he was
McCarthy on 16:22 - Feb 14 with 1933 views1ASIN12

McCarthy on 15:51 - Feb 14 by Ron11

Well I saw him get beat at the near post. Angles as tight as that should be easily covered.
Far too casual, who would be so careless as to produce a kick out of play as useless as that with two minutes to go and one final chance of a point on the table if the ball was up the middle?

He didnt get beat at his near post - getting beat at the near post would mean the ball going past him and the near post- it didnt.

His kick out at the end was bad to say the least. Forster's kicking is not best either.
McCarthy on 16:32 - Feb 14 with 1916 viewsMytchettSaint

McCarthy on 16:22 - Feb 14 by 1ASIN12

He didnt get beat at his near post - getting beat at the near post would mean the ball going past him and the near post- it didnt.

His kick out at the end was bad to say the least. Forster's kicking is not best either.

Are you advocating we stick with him next game? His form has been poor for a while now. Regardless of whether or not he was beaten at the near post or wasn’t he gifted Newcastle their third goal by fannying around with the ball deep in first half stoppage time and then again today deep in stoppage time he wasted possession and gifted Wolves a chance to run the clock down further. Players come in and out of form throughout a season, perhaps FF won’t fair any better, perhaps he will. I think the way Ralph reacted to him at the end means FF will get a chance next game and in my opinion he deserves it.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy on 17:11 - Feb 14 with 1856 viewsDorsetIan

Can't legislate for goal's like Neto's.

Just quick-thinking, skilful football. Left Vest standing by making as if he was going to cross. Was also too quick for McCarthy who would never have expected him to go for that shot.

You don't see that sort of thing very often. Fair play to him.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

McCarthy on 17:33 - Feb 14 with 1829 viewsdirk_doone

McCarthy on 17:11 - Feb 14 by DorsetIan

Can't legislate for goal's like Neto's.

Just quick-thinking, skilful football. Left Vest standing by making as if he was going to cross. Was also too quick for McCarthy who would never have expected him to go for that shot.

You don't see that sort of thing very often. Fair play to him.

The reason you don't see goals scored from that angle very often is that most goalkeepers stop them easily just by standing tall, making themselves big, and leaving no space to shoot at so the player cutting in from the byline is nearly always forced to cross rather than shoot. But, I've seen 2 like it scored against McCarthy in recent weeks. Instead of standing tall, he squats, as if he were standing in the middle of the goal ready to dive, and now that the cat is out of the bag about his weakness, we can expect more shots from that angle whenever he's in goal.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

McCarthy on 17:36 - Feb 14 with 1823 viewssaint22

McCarthy on 17:33 - Feb 14 by dirk_doone

The reason you don't see goals scored from that angle very often is that most goalkeepers stop them easily just by standing tall, making themselves big, and leaving no space to shoot at so the player cutting in from the byline is nearly always forced to cross rather than shoot. But, I've seen 2 like it scored against McCarthy in recent weeks. Instead of standing tall, he squats, as if he were standing in the middle of the goal ready to dive, and now that the cat is out of the bag about his weakness, we can expect more shots from that angle whenever he's in goal.

Agreed
He has done that several times as he has with his poor passing etc
Ralph needs to bench him
McCarthy on 18:11 - Feb 14 with 1778 viewsSadoldgit

I agree with you. If Ings had scored that goal we would all be talking about what a brilliant finish it was, which it was. Can’t blame him for the penalty. The only thing he did wrong was that late kick into touch, but that wasn’t the reason we lost the game. Wolves looked far fresher than us in the second half and the subs upped their performance. We just don’t have the legs to sustain a high press over 100 minutes and we become easy to play through. No point in blaming the goal keeper for that.
McCarthy on 20:07 - Feb 14 with 1721 viewskingolaf

I know a thing or two about keeping.

McCarthy didn’t do enough to narrow the angle after Neto had beaten Vest. No way should he be leaving a gap for Neto to find. He also ‘shrunk’ instead of staying big
Basics. His confidence looks shot to me. His decision-making coming off his line was poor (again) and led to much confusion at the back.
McCarthy on 20:22 - Feb 14 with 1698 viewssaint22

McCarthy on 20:07 - Feb 14 by kingolaf

McCarthy didn’t do enough to narrow the angle after Neto had beaten Vest. No way should he be leaving a gap for Neto to find. He also ‘shrunk’ instead of staying big
Basics. His confidence looks shot to me. His decision-making coming off his line was poor (again) and led to much confusion at the back.

Ralph got it very wrong today, Fraser should be starting for us
McCarthy on 10:31 - Feb 15 with 1543 viewsSaintNick

McCarthy on 20:07 - Feb 14 by kingolaf

I agree with you, someone pointed out earlier in the thread that h has been beaten in an almost identical fashion twice in the last few weeks, he doesn't make himself big and on al three goals he dropped to his knee and stuck his arm up.

This isn't a witch hunt against McCarthy it is a reasoned debate where the evidence is there for all to see on video.

You are right, the defence arent happy, they know his confidence has gone and that makes them nervy

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

McCarthy on 12:05 - Feb 22 with 1397 viewsdirk_doone

Did anyone have any confidence in McCarthy whatsoever when they saw he was facing another penalty? He just seems to be utterly clueless at deciding where a striker is going to place the ball and you can see from his dejected body language that he is beaten before the penalty is even taken.

Forster has saved 15 of 37

McCarthy has saved 3 of 27

It would be interesting to know what happened in those 3. Did the player hit the post or just miss the goal completely?

McCarthy's save percentage from shots he has faced is almost as bad. Yes, he does a couple of spectacular dives every game (he reminds me of a goalkeeper called Dave MacLaren who used to do the same) but he lets in goals that other goalkeepers would just block with their bodies or legs or not have to dive for because they have good positional sense and know from experience what the striker is most likely to do.

McCarthy's trick of adopting a limbo dance position at the near post, with his legs splayed out so far that it is impossible for him to make a save must be known to all opposition players now. They just have to look at pictures of goals we concede to see it. That's why they are shooting from the byline from ridiculously tight angles which they know they wouldn't have a hope of scoring from against any other goalkeeper.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:44]

McCarthy on 12:49 - Feb 22 with 1325 viewssaint22

McCarthy on 12:05 - Feb 22 by dirk_doone

Did anyone have any confidence in McCarthy whatsoever when they saw he was facing another penalty? He just seems to be utterly clueless at deciding where a striker is going to place the ball and you can see from his dejected body language that he is beaten before the penalty is even taken.

Forster has saved 15 of 37

McCarthy has saved 3 of 27

It would be interesting to know what happened in those 3. Did the player hit the post or just miss the goal completely?

McCarthy's save percentage from shots he has faced is almost as bad. Yes, he does a couple of spectacular dives every game (he reminds me of a goalkeeper called Dave MacLaren who used to do the same) but he lets in goals that other goalkeepers would just block with their bodies or legs or not have to dive for because they have good positional sense and know from experience what the striker is most likely to do.

McCarthy's trick of adopting a limbo dance position at the near post, with his legs splayed out so far that it is impossible for him to make a save must be known to all opposition players now. They just have to look at pictures of goals we concede to see it. That's why they are shooting from the byline from ridiculously tight angles which they know they wouldn't have a hope of scoring from against any other goalkeeper.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 12:44]

I find it staggering Ralph has kept faith with him, really I do. He has been on the end of 9 nil and 6 straight defeats
The confidence Ralph has in him has never been repaid with a string of clean sheets etc etc
Yes he is a good shot stopper but his kicking and inability to command his box undermines the defence
McCarthy on 13:02 - Feb 22 with 1316 viewsTimSaint

McCarthy on 12:49 - Feb 22 by saint22

I find it staggering Ralph has kept faith with him, really I do. He has been on the end of 9 nil and 6 straight defeats
The confidence Ralph has in him has never been repaid with a string of clean sheets etc etc
Yes he is a good shot stopper but his kicking and inability to command his box undermines the defence

Despite his well publicised mistakes and failings already mentioned in this thread, AMcC won't be dropped any time soon - if at all !!

Ralph has already told us that FF is the Cup Keeper and is back-up in the league.

This really does not bode well for the team, or the players themselves. It does not promote competition for places and it means that regardless of goals conceded or mistakes, AMcC will still start every league match, unless injured or suspended. (as we have already seen).

I think both FF and AMcC have a year and a half left on their contracts and Gunn has two and a half. It will be interesting to see if there are any movements in the transfer market in the keeper department, during the next transfer window.

TimSaint

McCarthy on 13:09 - Feb 22 with 1310 views1885_SFC

So what do we think?

https://tbrfootball.com/report-southampton-open-contract-talks-with-alex-mccarth

Old School is Cool

McCarthy on 11:11 - Jul 19 with 836 viewsdirk_doone

About the only thing worse than having McCArthy in goal for every one of our games next season would be having Mike Dean referee them all.

McCarthy on 17:46 - Jul 19 with 704 viewsBerber

Seems like keeping them both on their toes is the way forward, 2-3 games at a time.
McCarthy on 18:26 - Jul 19 with 682 viewssaintwizzler

McCarthy on 17:46 - Jul 19 by Berber

Seems like keeping them both on their toes is the way forward, 2-3 games at a time.

That does not work.
68 goals conceded in 38 games shows that.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

McCarthy on 09:49 - Jul 20 with 563 viewsBerber

McCarthy on 18:26 - Jul 19 by saintwizzler

That does not work.
68 goals conceded in 38 games shows that.

Aha, so that is why we have let in 68 goals, the keepers are poor. I wonder if RH has noticed this? The second half performance on goals conceded shows that the defence was worse that the first half of the season (when, incidentally, Forster hardly got a look in). I'm not sure that suggests mixing it up, or that Forster was the problem though.
McCarthy on 09:57 - Jul 20 with 554 viewsKennington

It’s not that long ago that McCarthy was in the England squad. He clearly has talent but probably for his own career needs a move, as he’s gone backwards over the past two or three seasons. It must be hard though seeing the defence in front of you getting progressively worse, and I’d imagine quite demoralising for a keeper.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

McCarthy on 10:01 - Jul 20 with 553 viewssaintwizzler

McCarthy on 09:49 - Jul 20 by Berber

Aha, so that is why we have let in 68 goals, the keepers are poor. I wonder if RH has noticed this? The second half performance on goals conceded shows that the defence was worse that the first half of the season (when, incidentally, Forster hardly got a look in). I'm not sure that suggests mixing it up, or that Forster was the problem though.

I’ve stated that both keepers are not good enough (in my opinion of course.)
CBs Vestergaard too slow, Bednarek needs a leader next to him, Salisu jury is out but hopefully a good player, Stephens concentration levels not good enough.
FBs KWP is a winger, needs to play as a RB. Bertrand couldn’t be bothered. The new French LB is an unknown to me so I can’t comment.

We missed Romeu as a DM. Armstrong and Diallo are no replacement for him.
Nether are ball winners.

An experienced CB is needed and also another Romeu.
This is before any other departures.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024