Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quiet on here today 10:13 - Apr 12 with 1075 viewssolent_toffee

Morning Saints

But quiet on here for a Monday morning, are you all out at the gym/primark/Wetherspoons?
Quiet on here today on 10:23 - Apr 12 with 1069 viewsSaintNick

Im sat at home working and celebrating Liverpool's win on Saturday as you would expect.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Quiet on here today on 13:11 - Apr 12 with 979 viewssolent_toffee

Quiet on here today on 10:23 - Apr 12 by SaintNick

Im sat at home working and celebrating Liverpool's win on Saturday as you would expect.

I would expect nothing else

I watched about two minutes of their game on Saturday afternoon. That offside goal was horrendous. Football is going to be rubbish when there are fans in and you can only celebrate a goal two minutes after it’s gone in and they’ve taken the kick off.
Quiet on here today on 13:20 - Apr 12 with 972 viewsDorsetIan

Quiet on here today on 13:11 - Apr 12 by solent_toffee

I would expect nothing else

I watched about two minutes of their game on Saturday afternoon. That offside goal was horrendous. Football is going to be rubbish when there are fans in and you can only celebrate a goal two minutes after it’s gone in and they’ve taken the kick off.

Please God, they get VAR sorted out in the summer. Whoever is in charge of it - does anyone who that is? - needs to be relieved of their duties and someone who actually likes watching football put in charge.

I resent the fact that they got it so wrong in the first place, and that they then didn't use the first Covid break to fix it, but it's just unbelievable that they let it continue like this for week after week.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Quiet on here today on 14:40 - Apr 12 with 913 viewsSadoldgit

You would have expected it to start off a bit iffy but to be well and truly sorted and bedded in by now, but the opposite is true. It is just got worse and worse with one stupid decision following another. Okay, the offside rule should have been sorted by now so that the width of an armband doesn’t count, but some decisions defy belief. How anyone could look at Son’s dying swan act and seen that as a foul on the VAR screen is staggering. How do you go down like you have been shot by having a couple of fingers flick your face? The bloke has plenty of previous and fair play to Ole for calling it out for what it was - cheating. I am all for making the game better and putting right clear and obvious mistakes, but the way it is being used is making the game worse.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 15:51]
Quiet on here today on 15:42 - Apr 12 with 874 viewsSaintsforeverj

Get rid of VAR. Give teams say two challenges, where they can query a decision, like tennis and leave it at that. This stopping and starting for every little thing, will lead to goals not being celebrated and it will ruin the game. Fans will stop coming, as it is not football any more, so they ought to sort it.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Quiet on here today on 16:06 - Apr 12 with 846 viewsKennington

Quiet on here today on 15:42 - Apr 12 by Saintsforeverj

Get rid of VAR. Give teams say two challenges, where they can query a decision, like tennis and leave it at that. This stopping and starting for every little thing, will lead to goals not being celebrated and it will ruin the game. Fans will stop coming, as it is not football any more, so they ought to sort it.

I’m not keen on challenges. Look how often these are misused in cricket as so often they’re used just because they’ve got one or two left. Also look at cricket decisions, so many are ambiguous and revert back to umpire’s call. The problem with VAR in football and to a lesser extent cricket is the decisions aren’t black or white and still require interpretation. I reckon it should only be used in football for goal line decisions. The only game this stuff really works is tennis, where the lines are so clear there’s no need for human interpretation.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Quiet on here today on 16:16 - Apr 12 with 838 viewsSaintsforeverj

Quiet on here today on 16:06 - Apr 12 by Kennington

I’m not keen on challenges. Look how often these are misused in cricket as so often they’re used just because they’ve got one or two left. Also look at cricket decisions, so many are ambiguous and revert back to umpire’s call. The problem with VAR in football and to a lesser extent cricket is the decisions aren’t black or white and still require interpretation. I reckon it should only be used in football for goal line decisions. The only game this stuff really works is tennis, where the lines are so clear there’s no need for human interpretation.

I am coming to the view that we should get rid of it. However, the only thing is, in the past, vital goals weren't given when the player was clearly onside and vice versa: the ref just made a mistake. I like VAR clearing up "obvious" mistakes as there are some obvious errors which are vital to a team staying up or not for example.

But this checking every goal before we can celebrate is going to put people off and it will ruin the game. Being limited to one or two challenges, I think would stop all this stopping and starting and the football managers and players will know when a decision needs to be challenged: not because a toe was offside.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 16:19]

Quiet on here today on 16:39 - Apr 12 with 810 viewsBazza

The offside rule needs a strong definition i.e. not just a hand/ knee etc.. Make the rule daylight between defender and attacker. This would make VAR decisions quicker and probably technology could provide instant judgements, currently reverting to a person in a satellite office is time wasting and leads to more human error.

Referees also need to be more consistent on diving, shirt pulling, and treat offences the same wherever they happen on the pitch.
Login to get fewer ads

Quiet on here today on 16:49 - Apr 12 with 797 viewsgrumpy

Quiet on here today on 16:39 - Apr 12 by Bazza

The offside rule needs a strong definition i.e. not just a hand/ knee etc.. Make the rule daylight between defender and attacker. This would make VAR decisions quicker and probably technology could provide instant judgements, currently reverting to a person in a satellite office is time wasting and leads to more human error.

Referees also need to be more consistent on diving, shirt pulling, and treat offences the same wherever they happen on the pitch.

Anyone found guilty of diving should be sent off.
Quiet on here today on 16:59 - Apr 12 with 793 viewsDorsetIan

Quiet on here today on 16:16 - Apr 12 by Saintsforeverj

I am coming to the view that we should get rid of it. However, the only thing is, in the past, vital goals weren't given when the player was clearly onside and vice versa: the ref just made a mistake. I like VAR clearing up "obvious" mistakes as there are some obvious errors which are vital to a team staying up or not for example.

But this checking every goal before we can celebrate is going to put people off and it will ruin the game. Being limited to one or two challenges, I think would stop all this stopping and starting and the football managers and players will know when a decision needs to be challenged: not because a toe was offside.
[Post edited 12 Apr 2021 16:19]

This is the knub of it.

It was meant to be a system that corrected howlers and what's been introduced is a microscopic analysis of things which nobody asked for.

It's a form of what military people call 'mission creep' - targeted objectives getting wider by default.

It's also evidence of how, generally speaking, if you give law enforcement people extra laws and procedures, they will be like pigs in shit and will happily use them in ways which were never asked for.

And all this should have been obvious.

One of the big issues with VAR even before it was introduced was how it would disrupt the flow of the game. It should have been somebody's job to make sure that didn't happen, to avoid the mission creep and fetter the the over-zealous officials, and that has clearly not happened.

In my opinion it's been an absolute joke, and has been really disrespectful of the fans' experience.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Quiet on here today on 17:11 - Apr 12 with 780 viewsSaintsforeverj

Quiet on here today on 16:59 - Apr 12 by DorsetIan

This is the knub of it.

It was meant to be a system that corrected howlers and what's been introduced is a microscopic analysis of things which nobody asked for.

It's a form of what military people call 'mission creep' - targeted objectives getting wider by default.

It's also evidence of how, generally speaking, if you give law enforcement people extra laws and procedures, they will be like pigs in shit and will happily use them in ways which were never asked for.

One of the big issues with VAR even before it was introduced was how it would disrupt the flow of the game. It should have been somebody's job to make sure that didn't happen, to avoid the mission creep and fetter the the over-zealous officials, and that has clearly not happened.

In my opinion it's been an absolute joke, and has been really disrespectful of the fans' experience.

I think most fans are fed up of VAR and are of the same view, that it should be there to help the ref with obvious and clear errors or off the ball serious foul play that the ref didn't see. Nobody wants to see this rediculous microscopic analysis of every single decision. But will those who make the decisions listen? Who knows, probably only when crowds are becoming low and it affects their pockets, will they realise fans are fed up with it in its current form.

Quiet on here today on 17:11 - Apr 12 with 779 viewsgrumpy

Quiet on here today on 16:59 - Apr 12 by DorsetIan

This is the knub of it.

They really need to look at disallowing goals where a players knee,elbow or nose is called offside.
Quiet on here today on 18:13 - Apr 12 with 756 viewsBerber

I think the VAR officials should have a maximum of 30 seconds to decide if there is an obvious error using the technology. If they can't do it in that time, it can't be obvious surely.
Quiet on here today on 18:36 - Apr 12 with 733 viewsTripleNiemi

Quiet on here today on 15:42 - Apr 12 by Saintsforeverj

You started off so well SFj.....

Get rid of VAR full stop and simply have goaline trchnology. Job done.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Quiet on here today on 21:01 - Apr 12 with 691 viewssaintwizzler

Use it for fouls in the box and serious foul play.
Let offsides be.
It all equals itself out.
Too much stop start now. It’s killing it.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Quiet on here today on 07:08 - Apr 13 with 608 viewsgrumpy

Quiet on here today on 18:36 - Apr 12 by TripleNiemi

You started off so well SFj.....

Get rid of VAR full stop and simply have goaline trchnology. Job done.

Have to wait to know when to cheer a goal these days.
Quiet on here today on 07:12 - Apr 13 with 604 viewssaint22

Quiet on here today on 18:13 - Apr 12 by Berber

I think the VAR officials should have a maximum of 30 seconds to decide if there is an obvious error using the technology. If they can't do it in that time, it can't be obvious surely.

This
No way should any clear and obvious decision take so long
Equally if it’s clear and obvious to me the ref and his assistants should then be demoted
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024