Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
45 years of hurt 20:52 - Apr 15 with 2548 viewsMeonsaint

I really hope that some of our current players ever take the trouble to read this forum and understand how the supporter's feel about the club. I doubt it but you never know !
Now in my late 50s and being one of the lucky ones that actually saw our club lift a major trophy back in May 1976 at Wembley defeating Tommy Docherty's Man Utd much fancied team at the time. To describe the unbelievable joy and effect it had on the City is difficult to put into words. Reading Jim Mcalliog's latest article in Hampshire Live brought back fantastic memories. He described Saints fans as being "reserved". I will probably agree with him but the FA giving us the Shed End in the Semi Final against Palace changed the history books. The atmosphere that day sent a shiver down your spine and clearly lifted the team. A repeated loud chorus of "When the Saints " and "We shall not be moved " will always remain strong in my memories.
Since 76, there has so much disappointment and pain. So nearly there but fallen at the final hurdle. Where do I start ? As a 13 year old Anderlecht in the second leg of the European Cup Winners Cup at home. The Dell was rocking and we had them on toast. Ted Macdougall volley one in at the Milton End and we were going through on the away goal. Then disaster struck and we conceded a late goal. Upset the next day at school and for the rest of the week. Fast forward a couple of years and we take on Cloughy's Forest in the League Cup final at Wembley. 1-nil up and coasting at half time through David Peach's superbly worked goal. Second half Forest sober up and Gary Birtles destroys us. More pain for Saints fans.
After a momentous cup run in 84, knocking the Skates out on their turf at Fratton Park, a Friday Match of the Day road trip to Blackburn most Saints fans thought it was our year. We should have won it and losing to those Scouse gits at Highbury in the Semis made it even more painful. We were the best team and would have trounced Watford in the final. A full bloodied pitch battle after the final whistle, over 100 Saints fans arrested that day, the most ever. This result still pains me more than any one single result.
2 years later with Shilton and Mark Wright playing for us ( despite his awful injury on the day) we lost again to the Mickey Mousers. Loads of trouble before and after the game. I don't think we could have been labelled as "reserved fans " back in 86.
What then followed was a period of obscurity, only disturbed by a Wembley appearance in the ZDS final at Wembley in the early 90's. A brilliant header from Kevin Moore ( RIP) and another one from Le Tiss gave us hope but we were beaten again by a clinical Forest side. Got absolutely drenched that day !
A great day out in Cardiff in 2003 was ruined by Arsenal , ( if only Beattie's last minute had gone in ). I caught the train from Fareham Station in my yellow Saints shirt and and ran the gauntlet of the local Skate youths on the Friday night but had a brilliant weekend.
The Johnstone Paint Trophy was a good turn out for the fans but in my opinion was an insignificant cup to win.
To more recent times in 2017 against Man Ure in the League Final. I watched this in a bar in China and as you can imagine I was severely outnumbered by Utd fans but for a period Saints were on top and Gabbiadini rattled them with his goals. Again we should have won and had a perfectly good goal disallowed. One minute I was shouting from the rafters and proudly waving my scarf above the hordes of Chinese Man U fans in the there, the next I was taking dogs abuse after Ibramovic's over head killer goal. That was painful.
What I am trying to say to the current players is Mcalliog, Turner, Rodrigues, Blythe, Steele, Peach, Gilchrist, Holmes, Osgood, Stokes and Channon will always be absolute legends. No question about it. They put Southampton on the global map. We need some more legends for the younger generation of fans. Forget about your thousands of pounds you earn a week, remember why you wanted to be a footballer when you were young, scoring a winner in the Semi Final at Wembley. Forget about the West Brom tepid display. Just gives us fans a bit more, stand up be counted. Be immortal and make the history books.

45 years of hurt on 22:06 - Apr 15 with 2481 viewsPaleRider

Thanks for your insights, Meon. I am a similar age to you and wholeheartedly agree! just want our players (and fans) to give it their all! It's all about pride!
45 years of hurt on 22:18 - Apr 15 with 2468 viewskernow

I remember and identify with all of that.

For players to be as dedicated as fans would be top of the wish list.
45 years of hurt on 22:18 - Apr 15 with 2470 viewskingslandstand1

45 years of hurt on 22:06 - Apr 15 by PaleRider

Thanks for your insights, Meon. I am a similar age to you and wholeheartedly agree! just want our players (and fans) to give it their all! It's all about pride!

Well it's public knowledge that Ralph has said he wants to go or it

Hopeully he has been telling the players just that and to totally forget Monday's game against a resurgent Baggies who a lot more to play for than we did - there is a lot more chance of them going down than us!

We may be 4th favoutire to lift the cup, but I'm hoping ater Sunday we will be 2nd favourites!

Keep the faith
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 22:18]
45 years of hurt on 22:30 - Apr 15 with 2446 viewsSaintsforeverj

Yep, let's hope your passion that every Saints fan will recognise, is shared by the players come Sunday. Unfortunately, I don't think todays players would have the same level of understanding, loyalty, pride for the city that the players did in 76. But, I do think we will see a performance Sunday. Leicester are beatable but a good side on their day. Let's see what happens and hope to get to the FA cup final!

Anybody putting up any Saints flags in their gardens or out the window for a such a huge game? It's such a shame we won't have any fans there. What an atmosphere it would have been from the two sets of fans.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 22:30]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

45 years of hurt on 11:19 - Apr 16 with 2278 viewsCenturion

But when we do achieve something...how sweet that will be!
45 years of hurt on 11:31 - Apr 16 with 2276 viewsfranniesTache

Nail on the head there meon, and for all our younger/new fans who think that 8th is better than a cup win do they really think you'd be able to name the whole team who finished 8th 45 years later?

Like you say, Mcalliog, Turner, Rodrigues, Blythe, Steele, Peach, Gilchrist, Holmes, Osgood, Stokes and Channon.

Lets add a few more to that list please!
45 years of hurt on 12:51 - Apr 16 with 2242 viewsSadoldgit

Most of my old mates are Palace supporters so at least I have the memory of an FA Cup win over them. It would be great to have another to celebrate before I croak though, so here’s hoping. Despite the poor form of late, we know that we have a bunch of players who, on their day, can beat anyone. Let’s hope that they turn up on Sunday.
45 years of hurt on 18:50 - Apr 16 with 2155 viewsMeonsaint

45 years of hurt on 12:51 - Apr 16 by Sadoldgit

Most of my old mates are Palace supporters so at least I have the memory of an FA Cup win over them. It would be great to have another to celebrate before I croak though, so here’s hoping. Despite the poor form of late, we know that we have a bunch of players who, on their day, can beat anyone. Let’s hope that they turn up on Sunday.

Palace were a good young side under the management of Malcolm Allison but an experienced Saints team had too much in their locker that day for them. Channon was in his prime and on his day could murder any team with his blistering pace. A magnificent day out in the April sunshine. Little did we know what was to follow a few weeks later in May.
Come on Saints, time for some new heroes on Sunday at 8.30pm.
Login to get fewer ads

45 years of hurt on 19:01 - Apr 16 with 2141 viewsDellHero_Would

An insightful post Meon..A lot of what you say resonates.. I was only 7 in 1976, so it’s been a long time. In recent memory the LC final which I didn’t attend was where everything not just in the match but leading up to it was against us.

Coming back on the train from Cardiff the Arsenal fans I spoke to were almost indifferent about their win, which made me even more fed up as you’d have had to scrape me off the roof had we won.

Here’s to Sunday a one off match. Up the Saints.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2021 19:03]

Poll: Wearing a mask

45 years of hurt on 12:00 - Apr 18 with 1869 viewsGasGiant

Not sure why the actions of a load of morons and jerks incapable of accepting a defeat warrants recording as though it is somehow as relevant as the result of the game.
45 years of hurt on 16:38 - Apr 18 with 1794 viewsbarry_sanchez

No club of the size of Southampton throughout their history has such a poor record, I've looked high and low and there isn't a club that has consistently failed as much as we have, I accept that fact but also so should the club and be honest and say we're bollocks.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2021 16:39]

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

45 years of hurt on 17:09 - Apr 18 with 1762 viewsMeonsaint

45 years of hurt on 12:00 - Apr 18 by GasGiant

Not sure why the actions of a load of morons and jerks incapable of accepting a defeat warrants recording as though it is somehow as relevant as the result of the game.

It's not about a recent bad performance at at WBA. I don't care too much about that. It's about 45 years of enduring pain & hurt, nearly, not quite, almost there so much disappointment. I have been supporting our beloved club since 1972. Just want something to rejoice in.
You missed the point of my post.
COYS.
45 years of hurt on 17:26 - Apr 18 with 1749 viewsA_Saint_in_Stoke

45 years of hurt on 22:18 - Apr 15 by kingslandstand1

Well it's public knowledge that Ralph has said he wants to go or it

Hopeully he has been telling the players just that and to totally forget Monday's game against a resurgent Baggies who a lot more to play for than we did - there is a lot more chance of them going down than us!

We may be 4th favoutire to lift the cup, but I'm hoping ater Sunday we will be 2nd favourites!

Keep the faith
[Post edited 15 Apr 2021 22:18]

Totally agee ! I don't feel that any of our fans mind ----- Just as long as we actually see our lads - put every effort in........ TRY and not pass backwards from the halfway line ---- AND BELEIVE that we can lift the cup again .... COMMON LADS YOUR JUST AS GOOD as the foxes.

COMMON YOU SAINTS

Poll: As a Saint's supporter I Feel Southampton F.C. Public Relations Department is -

45 years of hurt on 17:39 - Apr 18 with 1730 views1885_SFC

All we need is the Saints of earlier on in the season to turn up & not the one of recent weeks. Then it should be some game...

Old School is Cool

45 years of hurt on 17:57 - Apr 18 with 1716 viewsFrontwheeler

45 years of hurt on 17:39 - Apr 18 by 1885_SFC

All we need is the Saints of earlier on in the season to turn up & not the one of recent weeks. Then it should be some game...

45 years since Manure did the league double over Burnley.
Is it our time
45 years of hurt on 20:37 - Apr 18 with 1660 viewsMeonsaint

Make that 46 years. How disappointing was that ! We just fizzled out with no shot on goal. I am truly gutted with our lame performance. Sooner this season ends the better now.
Roll on the Euros and a summer holiday without tests please. Also new owners please who have some serious cash to inject into the club.
45 years of hurt on 21:00 - Apr 18 with 1631 viewssledger

something is seriously wrong behind the scenes,bus,under and throw are words that come to mind,these players couldnt even do it for there own pride,wan*ers some of them.
45 years of hurt on 22:06 - Apr 18 with 1581 views1885_SFC

45 years of hurt on 21:00 - Apr 18 by sledger

something is seriously wrong behind the scenes,bus,under and throw are words that come to mind,these players couldnt even do it for there own pride,wan*ers some of them.

Ings needs to go in the Summer - as does Bertrand. These two have a lot of influence on other members of the squad & their ongoing contract negotiations aren't helping.

Neither have been outstanding in recent months - especially Bertand who's been piss poor.

I like Ralph. We should keep him. But I think there are rotten apples in that changing room.

Old School is Cool

45 years of hurt on 22:17 - Apr 18 with 1560 viewsSaintsforeverj

45 years of hurt on 22:06 - Apr 18 by 1885_SFC

Ings needs to go in the Summer - as does Bertrand. These two have a lot of influence on other members of the squad & their ongoing contract negotiations aren't helping.

Neither have been outstanding in recent months - especially Bertand who's been piss poor.

I like Ralph. We should keep him. But I think there are rotten apples in that changing room.

You're right. Some of our top players are playing like they are useless.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024