Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A great occasion last night, but...... 08:02 - Jun 30 with 3057 viewsA1079

why as a nation and people do we disrespect our opponents national anthem and flag in the manner in which we do?

We are simply quite dreadful for doing it and I don't know any other country or people that do it to the level that we do - even when 2 countries have intense rivalries they usually respect anthems and yet we seem to think it is ok to boo. I think it is embarrassing, disrespectful and does nothing to enhance the reputation of our country or English fans beyond being louts and thugs. Last night it was not even a minority. More often than not I am proud to be English but there are certain behaviour's and traits in our make up which make me feel the opposite. That and the way we disregard litter are two of them.
A great occasion last night, but...... on 18:45 - Jun 30 with 930 viewsarfurdent

A great occasion last night, but...... on 17:54 - Jun 30 by saint22

Given its the EUROPEAN Championships I do wonder if its our last

a valid point, after Brexit England do not really qualify for a European Championship or a Song Contest

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

A great occasion last night, but...... on 18:53 - Jun 30 with 923 viewssaintwizzler

A great occasion last night, but...... on 18:45 - Jun 30 by arfurdent

a valid point, after Brexit England do not really qualify for a European Championship or a Song Contest

What continent are we in?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

A great occasion last night, but...... on 19:44 - Jun 30 with 890 viewsBazza

But you think Russia will?
A great occasion last night, but...... on 20:24 - Jun 30 with 857 viewscocklebreath

🙄dear god

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

A great occasion last night, but...... on 20:41 - Jun 30 with 845 viewskingslandstand1

A great occasion last night, but...... on 17:54 - Jun 30 by saint22

Given its the EUROPEAN Championships I do wonder if its our last

Not sure if that was tongue in cheek or a variation on a theme gone by, but we are still in Europe. It's the EU we're not in
A great occasion last night, but...... on 20:47 - Jun 30 with 842 viewskingslandstand1

A great occasion last night, but...... on 16:53 - Jun 30 by arfurdent

she is entitled to an opinion

As we all are and that is the whole point of Punditry.
A great occasion last night, but...... on 21:05 - Jun 30 with 826 viewsDorsetIan

A great occasion last night, but...... on 18:11 - Jun 30 by Bicester_North

By far the greatest atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at this version of Wembley

What, better than England v Montenegro in 2010 ?

That was my last trip. Treat for son's 7th birthday, so he could see England hammer someone.

0-0

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

A great occasion last night, but...... on 22:37 - Jun 30 with 796 viewsBicester_North

A great occasion last night, but...... on 21:05 - Jun 30 by DorsetIan

What, better than England v Montenegro in 2010 ?

That was my last trip. Treat for son's 7th birthday, so he could see England hammer someone.

0-0

Sadly I missed out on that one! Really strange how different this one was to any previous matches there

Because of Covid and no crowds I think people are just up for it and delighted to even be there.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Login to get fewer ads

A great occasion last night, but...... on 23:52 - Jun 30 with 764 viewsA1079

Just to clarify the point of my thread.

It was really aimed at seeing what people thought about fans booing national anthems etc and whether that it helps the opposition as a form of motivation. Chris Waddle and John Murray indicated that they felt that it did help the Germans in the first half and hour and we were more nervous. I often feel that when we boo ex players (especially those that left under a cloud) it often seems to work against rather than in favour - though there is some mileage in trying to create an intimidating atmosphere.

I should like to clarify that whilst I do not like the disrespecting of national anthems etc and flags I have always held this view since the 70's. I am not personally offended by it but I just do not agree with it. I do not subscribe to the WOKE society. I face enough of it at work and it drives me bonkers.

Putting aside the anthems the atmosphere and support by the fans was terrific and when we scored the roar of delight really came across. English fans do not always get the recognition for the support they give because all too often it does not fit in with an often dominated liberal and non-English media and reporters.

I am a proud patriotic Englishman. I am also white, working class, and I do not subscribe that just because you are all of those you must be a xenophobe or racist. I am not either of those nor do I believe a majority of English/British people are. As proud as I am of my roots I also respect people of all backgrounds. The only judgement I make is by a persons character and sense of decency (and I have seen many examples of that by various contributors of this forum) not by the colour of their skin, the religion they follow or not or their background. As Sonic pointed out we may not be perfect but you can look around the continent and the wider world and see far more examples of bad behaviour.

Thank you for your contributions to the debate.
A great occasion last night, but...... on 00:39 - Jul 1 with 753 viewsChesham_Saint

A great occasion last night, but...... on 15:23 - Jun 30 by BuenosSaint

I get what you're saying sonic. I too have heard booing of anthems in most of the games. But if we are honest Wembley last night was the worst.

I agree, booing anthems is pathetic (and completely counter-productive) . However, have you ever heard the typical reaction of Scottish fans to the English national anthem? And that’s both their football and rugby fans.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

A great occasion last night, but...... on 06:45 - Jul 1 with 733 viewsBuenosSaint

A great occasion last night, but...... on 00:39 - Jul 1 by Chesham_Saint

I agree, booing anthems is pathetic (and completely counter-productive) . However, have you ever heard the typical reaction of Scottish fans to the English national anthem? And that’s both their football and rugby fans.

After reading all the posts on this thread, I was thinking where the line (if any) is drawn between banter / intimidating atmosphere and disrespecting opposition.

I for one would not ever want sterile stadiums etc ( heck half the fun of going was the edgy humour / chants on the terraces).

And yes, the Wembley atmosphere looked truly amazing and couldn't even tell that there were any seats by the way everyone jumped about. Plus, I'm very jealous of those who got to go and will hopefully get to go till the final. (My first flat was in Wembley and I didn't miss an international for years)

Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby - for e.g I am watching American version of the office and just don't find it as funny as the Ricky Gervais original I saw years ago. Not enough to stop me watching it mind and could just be U.S. take on the deadpan comedy of course!

Poll: The Long Future

A great occasion last night, but...... on 09:33 - Jul 1 with 706 viewsDorsetIan

A great occasion last night, but...... on 06:45 - Jul 1 by BuenosSaint

After reading all the posts on this thread, I was thinking where the line (if any) is drawn between banter / intimidating atmosphere and disrespecting opposition.

I for one would not ever want sterile stadiums etc ( heck half the fun of going was the edgy humour / chants on the terraces).

And yes, the Wembley atmosphere looked truly amazing and couldn't even tell that there were any seats by the way everyone jumped about. Plus, I'm very jealous of those who got to go and will hopefully get to go till the final. (My first flat was in Wembley and I didn't miss an international for years)

Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby - for e.g I am watching American version of the office and just don't find it as funny as the Ricky Gervais original I saw years ago. Not enough to stop me watching it mind and could just be U.S. take on the deadpan comedy of course!

I haven't watched it but I've heard that US version of The Office is a slow burn. At first not as good because immediately compared with the UK version, but once you're into it, you can enjoy it on it's own terms and then (apparently) it's brilliant.

Interested to hear how far you've got and whether I should make the effort.

A great occasion last night, but...... on 13:02 - Jul 1 with 682 viewsBison

A great occasion last night, but...... on 06:45 - Jul 1 by BuenosSaint

Did you ever watch Shameless set in Manchester in the 90's ?

The yanks have done a version of that as well and the missus found it really funny but I've not got round to it yet. They have changed the gender of a few characters but she said it was good. I couldn't watch the American office as was just not the same as you said.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

A great occasion last night, but...... on 16:57 - Jul 1 with 652 viewsChesham_Saint

A great occasion last night, but...... on 13:02 - Jul 1 by Bison

Did you ever watch Shameless set in Manchester in the 90's ?

The yanks have done a version of that as well and the missus found it really funny but I've not got round to it yet. They have changed the gender of a few characters but she said it was good. I couldn't watch the American office as was just not the same as you said.

I know what you mean, not the same thing at all. That said, Modern Family and Schitts Creek are way ahead of anything the U.K. produces these days.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

A great occasion last night, but...... on 20:29 - Jul 1 with 624 viewsBuenosSaint

A great occasion last night, but...... on 09:33 - Jul 1 by DorsetIan

I haven't watched it but I've heard that US version of The Office is a slow burn. At first not as good because immediately compared with the UK version, but once you're into it, you can enjoy it on it's own terms and then (apparently) it's brilliant.

Interested to hear how far you've got and whether I should make the effort.

Almost finished season 2 Dorset. My housemate pretty much said what you did in that it gets better later.

A great occasion last night, but...... on 20:38 - Jul 1 with 622 viewsBuenosSaint

A great occasion last night, but...... on 16:57 - Jul 1 by Chesham_Saint

I know what you mean, not the same thing at all. That said, Modern Family and Schitts Creek are way ahead of anything the U.K. produces these days.

I did see it -didn't know there was an American version.

But just bringing it back to the thread. The office was funny mainly because of the politically incorrect jokes. I no longer find them as funny.
Booing a national anthem is potentially politically incorrect and I am uncomfortable with it. But, it's a free country and not illegal. It's just the negative impression it leaves on foreigners.

A great occasion last night, but...... on 21:24 - Jul 1 with 592 viewsDorsetIan

A great occasion last night, but...... on 20:29 - Jul 1 by BuenosSaint

Almost finished season 2 Dorset. My housemate pretty much said what you did in that it gets better later.

Just checked - 9 series of the US version, compared to 2 + Christmas Special for the UK. Got to assume it takes on a life of it's own. Let us know in a couple of series' time, what you think. But bloody hell, Gervais and Merchant must be minted if they've got the rights to all that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024