Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread 13:04 - Jul 10 with 39142 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think I’ve been quite lucky so far no?

Well managed England play will defeat the Italians by the odd goal.

Here’s me putting the gauntlet down:

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:53 - Jul 12 with 1617 viewsbosh67

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:42 - Jul 12 by traininvain

Exactly. Jordan Henderson’s one of England’s most experienced players and he missed his pen vs Colombia in 2018.

They obviously practised penalties in training and decided the order beforehand rather than picking at the end of extra time.

My only slight criticism would be whether it’s wise to have three young players in a row taking pens as they all seemed to fall apart after Rashford’s miss.

"My only slight criticism would be whether it’s wise to have three young players in a row taking pens as they all seemed to fall apart after Rashford’s miss."

Totally agree with this. Seemed very odd to burden players that hadn't played, Sancho and Rashford with penalty tasks, and ask Sako to take one. Good for them for being brave enough to try but we had other more experienced players who should have handled that.

I think we did really well overall but came up short. First half last night was about as good as I have seen an England team play. Unfortunately we handed the keys to midfield over to Italy and I guess the main thing Southgate may take from this is if you are up against two highly experienced but older CBs on yellows bring on fresh faster players earlier on to get behind them and a playmaker to make it happen. Mount found it difficult to find his way and he definitely should have been swapped early doors second half. Go for the second goal. Defend higher up the pitch.

I've seen so many Rs game go the way that one went last night over the years. You have to be brave and ruthless enough to go for teams and own midfields throughout.

However, very young team, very good manager and back room. I said before this tournament that I think this squad can win something and I also think we can make another final, and hopefully win it by learning from this, perhaps starting next year.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:54 - Jul 12 with 1610 viewsMrSheen

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:42 - Jul 12 by traininvain

Exactly. Jordan Henderson’s one of England’s most experienced players and he missed his pen vs Colombia in 2018.

They obviously practised penalties in training and decided the order beforehand rather than picking at the end of extra time.

My only slight criticism would be whether it’s wise to have three young players in a row taking pens as they all seemed to fall apart after Rashford’s miss.

Poor Saka had his worst game, seemed to freeze when he came on. Surely he should have been pulled out of the firing line. Good to see he and the others weren't Mbapped afterwards.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 9:52]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:56 - Jul 12 with 1593 viewsRanger_Things

I thought Southgate's interview afterwards was superb. I doubt any fan is hurting as much as him but he stayed measured and composed. Also the way he tried to protect his players from blame on the penalties. He really is a class act.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:02 - Jul 12 with 1544 viewsCiderwithRsie

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:58 - Jul 12 by loftboy

Unfortunately due to the next World Cup being in Qatar I reckon it will be a sigh American team that wins it, can’t see any European team being able to play consistently in that sort of heat.

Me too, I'm afraid
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:11 - Jul 12 with 1467 viewsstevec

Thing I felt from the whole tournament is the lack of great goal scorers these days.

Ronaldo wins the golden boot, an all round great player, but apart from him who is there? Thought Stones and Maguire were good but don’t think they were ever really tested throughout.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:22 - Jul 12 with 1422 viewsbosh67

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:02 - Jul 12 by CiderwithRsie

Me too, I'm afraid

I thought I'd heard that most Qatar games were being played in air conditioned roofed stadiums?

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:22 - Jul 12 with 1414 viewsonlyrinmoray

Have we signed Johansen yet .
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:25 - Jul 12 with 1394 viewstraininvain

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:02 - Jul 12 by CiderwithRsie

Me too, I'm afraid

I wouldn’t be too sure. South American football isn’t going through a great period and Germany won the World Cup in Brazil in 2014. I think it’ll be a European country again.
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:26 - Jul 12 with 1393 viewsBazzeR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:11 - Jul 12 by stevec

Thing I felt from the whole tournament is the lack of great goal scorers these days.

Ronaldo wins the golden boot, an all round great player, but apart from him who is there? Thought Stones and Maguire were good but don’t think they were ever really tested throughout.

Agree..From the last WC to present England have only beaten teams that they were expected to.

Most disappointing thing last night was England could not even pass sideways and backwards to a teammate.

Parking the Bus from 20mins onwards and keep hoofing the ball to no one upfront is not the way to progress the England team.

Southgate is certainly not the saviour he’s made out to be.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:27 - Jul 12 with 1385 viewsKonk

Absolutely gutted, but I think Italy deserved the win. We were well on top for the opening 20-25 minutes, but then began giving the ball away cheaply, and struggling to win it back. The second-half was largely played in our half and we didn't look to have any idea how to change things. We just couldn't get any control on the game. Extra-time was better for England, but on balance, I think Italy deserved the win. Not just the better side on the night, but as a neutral, they were my favourite side to watch during the tournament.

Not ideal that we had two penalty takers who'd come on with the game over, nor a 19 year old taking our decisive kick, but Southgate got so much else right during the tournament, that I can't really complain about that.

Had quite a difficult conversion around this, as my 6 year old son thought this was actually Jack Grealish's wife and kept on asking why she had 69 as his number, when Grealish was wearing No.7. Explained it wasn't his wife, so he wanted to know why she was pretending to be his wife, and why if she was so in love with him, didn't she know he wore the number 7. Went on for about five minutes. He was in tears at the end, bless.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:30 - Jul 12 with 1368 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Just reading a really good long article on England's failures since 1966 when I was struck dumb by seeing the 2010 squad. Wright-Phillips was in it!
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:35 - Jul 12 with 1346 viewsbosh67

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:27 - Jul 12 by Konk

Absolutely gutted, but I think Italy deserved the win. We were well on top for the opening 20-25 minutes, but then began giving the ball away cheaply, and struggling to win it back. The second-half was largely played in our half and we didn't look to have any idea how to change things. We just couldn't get any control on the game. Extra-time was better for England, but on balance, I think Italy deserved the win. Not just the better side on the night, but as a neutral, they were my favourite side to watch during the tournament.

Not ideal that we had two penalty takers who'd come on with the game over, nor a 19 year old taking our decisive kick, but Southgate got so much else right during the tournament, that I can't really complain about that.

Had quite a difficult conversion around this, as my 6 year old son thought this was actually Jack Grealish's wife and kept on asking why she had 69 as his number, when Grealish was wearing No.7. Explained it wasn't his wife, so he wanted to know why she was pretending to be his wife, and why if she was so in love with him, didn't she know he wore the number 7. Went on for about five minutes. He was in tears at the end, bless.

Agree Konk. They have to dust themselves down and learn from this. They've gone to a semi final to a final and the next step is to game manage on and off the pitch when it comes to the big games. For me it's about owning the midfield in these games and controlling that. We did it so well first half and fell deep second. Italy just stepped up and took control away from us but I think we can structure a way to stop that happening again. Luckily most of this team are so young that several were taking penalties well beyond their bedtimes.

Never knowingly right.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:36 - Jul 12 with 1342 viewswood_hoop

Ah well, disapointed like so many others but so many good things came out of this tournament, England at last look like a squad to be wary of to the 'big boys' in the football world, Germany Brazil Argentina, Italy Spain etc.

Lots of credit to Southgate and the squad for their actions both on and off the field.

It was great to hear and see so many people from all walks of life enjoying what I believe to be the greatest sport ever devised, whether partaking in a kickabout with your mates, or playing on the ultimate stage in front of tens on thousands.

Back to reality and my first love, only a few weeks and our beautiful club will be back to heal the wounds from this escapade, no doubt bringing tears off joy and squeals of anguish, the life of a football nut is never boring.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:58 - Jul 12 with 1238 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Back to reality.

Never thought I’d see England in a final so very grateful for that.

Can’t condone attacking Wembley staff, but when you charge normal England fans £800 but let in 10,000 on corporate junkets in for free you’re going to get some deserved kickback. Social media the usual cesspit sadly.

Otherwise hard luck England and congratulations Italy.

Looking forward to Qatar next year. It’s been emotional.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:00 - Jul 12 with 1229 views80s_Boy

I don't think I can add anything to the myriad observations and comments expressed since last night on here, Twitter or in conversations this morning at work but just some thoughts...

We should be immensely proud of this team and what they achieved. Few gave us hope of reaching the final - not even the bi-annual wave of optimism was taken seriously by many - and although it may not have been the most impressive run to a final ever, we had to overcome physiological issues to beat Germany, gave one of THE great performances of any England side in history against Ukraine (arguably one of the greatest performances in European Championships history by any side) and, of course, had to dig deep against Denmark whilst playing some of the most mature football I have ever seen England play.

Did last night hurt? Absolutely. Were there a few things we got wrong last night? Absolutely. The tactics were bizarre at times when it was obvious Italy were becoming most likely to win, as was the decision to plan subs around the possibilities of penalties.

As for the penalties, it's alright saying 'you should see the players in training to understand why they were nominated' but that's niave. It should have been the most experienced players because you can not replicate the pressures those players were under last night at St George's. Also, and it's an observation rather than an attempt to single out someone to blame, Rashford's penalty was awful and future England players should be told to cut out all nonsense when taking penalties in a shoot out.

Will we come back again? Possibly, though it was worrying how easily Italy managed to make us look very poor using simple passes and equally worrying that some were saying during the week that few, if any Italy players would get into our starting XI. We aren't on the cusp of greatness and have a lot of work to do. Having inflated opinions based on nothing about how good our team are will not help us at all. We have a good/excellent team but we're not great and we need to acknowledge that to become so.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:15 - Jul 12 with 1164 viewsTheChef

In the end Mancini got his subs spot on, and on this occasion unfortunately Southgate didn't. That's football.

As mentioned we have such a young squad and this will all be good experience for the future. The vagaries of tournament football are huge though, you always need a bit of luck, but we can be very proud of this group of players and their manager. Onwards and upwards.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:17 - Jul 12 with 1136 viewsgazza1

Penalties are a lottery.....I am sure that all the plans were in place and agreed prior to that dramatic ending of he game. I blame the players for missing the penalties, nobody else and those players will take responsibility.

We have a top, top squad and team, we now need a top, top Manager to take us to the next stage.......I would probably keep Southgate in the England set-up but not at the helm.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:18 - Jul 12 with 1136 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:17 - Jul 12 by gazza1

Penalties are a lottery.....I am sure that all the plans were in place and agreed prior to that dramatic ending of he game. I blame the players for missing the penalties, nobody else and those players will take responsibility.

We have a top, top squad and team, we now need a top, top Manager to take us to the next stage.......I would probably keep Southgate in the England set-up but not at the helm.

Southgate kept avoiding questions about Qatar 2022 and kept saying 'it's been a pleasure to work with this group of players'.

I think he's walking.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:20 - Jul 12 with 1124 viewsNortholt_Rs

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:00 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

I don't think I can add anything to the myriad observations and comments expressed since last night on here, Twitter or in conversations this morning at work but just some thoughts...

We should be immensely proud of this team and what they achieved. Few gave us hope of reaching the final - not even the bi-annual wave of optimism was taken seriously by many - and although it may not have been the most impressive run to a final ever, we had to overcome physiological issues to beat Germany, gave one of THE great performances of any England side in history against Ukraine (arguably one of the greatest performances in European Championships history by any side) and, of course, had to dig deep against Denmark whilst playing some of the most mature football I have ever seen England play.

Did last night hurt? Absolutely. Were there a few things we got wrong last night? Absolutely. The tactics were bizarre at times when it was obvious Italy were becoming most likely to win, as was the decision to plan subs around the possibilities of penalties.

As for the penalties, it's alright saying 'you should see the players in training to understand why they were nominated' but that's niave. It should have been the most experienced players because you can not replicate the pressures those players were under last night at St George's. Also, and it's an observation rather than an attempt to single out someone to blame, Rashford's penalty was awful and future England players should be told to cut out all nonsense when taking penalties in a shoot out.

Will we come back again? Possibly, though it was worrying how easily Italy managed to make us look very poor using simple passes and equally worrying that some were saying during the week that few, if any Italy players would get into our starting XI. We aren't on the cusp of greatness and have a lot of work to do. Having inflated opinions based on nothing about how good our team are will not help us at all. We have a good/excellent team but we're not great and we need to acknowledge that to become so.

Sorry but Southgate got everything wrong last night. The formation, the tactics, the starting XI, the subs…. Completely out thought by Mancini. We tried to park the bus from the 2nd minute…. We have a squad bursting with pace and never used it against the two oldest CBs in the competition. Southgate made it easy for Mancini. Despicable of the senior players to leave the final and crucial pen to a 19 year old kid.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:21 - Jul 12 with 1114 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 07:58 - Jul 12 by loftboy

Unfortunately due to the next World Cup being in Qatar I reckon it will be a sigh American team that wins it, can’t see any European team being able to play consistently in that sort of heat.

2022 WC is from the 21st November to the 18th December. So actually temperatures not too bad.

https://www.weather2travel.com/qatar/november/
https://www.weather2travel.com/qatar/december/

It will be hot ,with a bit of humidity, for the group games and should have cooled down more and the humidity disappeared by December when the knockouts, with the possibility of extra time, take place.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:22 - Jul 12 with 1110 viewsMrSheen

Coming soon...32-team Euros, from 55 members, 48 team World Cup (why not 64?).
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:22 - Jul 12 with 1111 viewsKonk

Agree about the penalties. That is a huge amount of pressure to find yourself under when you've played 1 or 2 seasons of first team football. I absolutely hate players trying to be too clever with their run-ups. Surely it just massively complicates what should be a simple process. With all the pressure already on a penalty-taker, surely it's just better to take a natural run-up and then look to smash it into either corner or down the middle. If you're concentrating on your stuttery, weird run-up, that must detract from your focus on striking the ball?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:23 - Jul 12 with 1103 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:20 - Jul 12 by Northolt_Rs

Sorry but Southgate got everything wrong last night. The formation, the tactics, the starting XI, the subs…. Completely out thought by Mancini. We tried to park the bus from the 2nd minute…. We have a squad bursting with pace and never used it against the two oldest CBs in the competition. Southgate made it easy for Mancini. Despicable of the senior players to leave the final and crucial pen to a 19 year old kid.

I can't agree that he got the tactics wrong from the start.

Up until the 35th - 40th minute there was only one team in the game and it wasn't Italy. His biggest mistake was not adjusting the tactics/formation when it was obvious that Italy were looking like the most likely team to win.

We were lucky to avoid defeat in the 90.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:24 - Jul 12 with 1092 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:18 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

Southgate kept avoiding questions about Qatar 2022 and kept saying 'it's been a pleasure to work with this group of players'.

I think he's walking.

I hope he doesn't walk.....despite him not being my favourite I still think he offers the England team something. He manages the team well but not so sure he gets things right on the pitch. IMHO, we have still not beaten any of the top teams despite getting to a semi & final ties.

Mancini showed how it should be done when the 'chips' were down and big decisons needed to be made.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:26 - Jul 12 with 1081 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:20 - Jul 12 by Northolt_Rs

As you well know I am not a Southgate fan but many your comments are very unfair and wrong indeed.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024