Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread 13:04 - Jul 10 with 39196 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think I’ve been quite lucky so far no?

Well managed England play will defeat the Italians by the odd goal.

Here’s me putting the gauntlet down:

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:53 - Jul 12 with 1351 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:34 - Jul 12 by francisbowles

I wasn't disparaging England's achievement. In fact what was probably our best ever team were unlucky that weak refereeing allowed Yugoslavia to kick them out of the semi finals. However in qualifying, we had to rely on Scotland dropping points after beating and drawing with us. Scotland apart though, it was hardly a tough group as we beat Wales 5-1 and 3-0 and Northern Ireland 2-0 twice. As I'm sure you know we then beat Spain home and away to reach the tournament finals.

Italy had a pretty easy qualifying group, drawing in Switzerland but winning all the rest of the games against Rumania and Cyprus as well as at home to the Swiss. In the QF they lost again this time in 3-2 Bulgaria but won the return 2-0 to get to the last four. They then defeated the Soviet Union on the toss of a coin in the SF and needed a replay before winning the trophy. It was their first major trophy in over thirty years and came after the failure in the 66 World cup.

Sorry, it wasn't aimed directly at you, just got a bit fed up last week of people saying it was a micky mouse tournament!

It wasn't and we should be proud to have reached the semi that year!

Yours sincerely,

self confessed pedantic nerd.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:55 - Jul 12 with 1343 viewsBAWHoops

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:52 - Jul 12 by SheffieldHoop

At least the leftists can finally drop the false patriotism, which after a whole month I'm sure they were sick of, and go back to openly despising us

Budapest in September.

What does this even mean? 'The leftists.' Sort your head out

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:56 - Jul 12 with 1330 viewsRangersw12

At least the leftists can finally drop the false patriotism, which after a whole month I'm sure they were sick of, and go back to openly despising us

Budapest in September.

Just hope we will be able to travel by September !
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:57 - Jul 12 with 1323 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 14:01 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

Idiots on both sides sadly....

I use Twitter to keep up-to-date with a few bands and theatres but beyond that just for niche interests like the history of the Cold War and non-league football.

I tried to 'get involved' during the early stages of the pandemic to have regular 'chats' with other people than the missus and, of course, gravitated to QPR twitter.... 3 weeks was enough for me. Sheer lunacy and full of narcissistic weirdos on both sides of some debates and opinions.

Idiots on both sides is bollocks.

Before we even begin on the monkey emojis and calling players n1ggers ‘One side’ put quite few people in hospital last night on the basis they were either Italian or Black. Last week they bashed the shit out of a Danish father in front of his kids.

The both sides argument minimalises some fcking awful behaviour.

As usual, a minority fcks it for everyone else. No wonder we are globally hated.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 16:04]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:01 - Jul 12 with 1294 viewsKonk

Budapest in September.

At least the far-right can finally drop the false embrace of a multicultural England side, which after a whole month I'm sure they were sick of, and go back to openly despising everyone who's not white and English.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:02 - Jul 12 with 1287 viewskensalriser

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:49 - Jul 12 by daveB

just feel absolutely broken by it all, what a horrific way to lose.

Was it? I'd far rather lose by the finest of margins than have my team reach a Wembley final. not turn up and lose 3-0, which happened to me in a dream once.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:06 - Jul 12 with 1250 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:57 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Before we even begin on the monkey emojis and calling players n1ggers ‘One side’ put quite few people in hospital last night on the basis they were either Italian or Black. Last week they bashed the shit out of a Danish father in front of his kids.

As usual, a minority fcks it for everyone else. No wonder we are globally hated.

"Idiots on both sides is bollocks."

Sorry, but when people are posting tweets saying that Southgate purposely set out black players to fail - as the second tweeter I posted did - they are as much as an idiot as someone who posts that Southgate purposely selected black players to take the penalties as some kind of BLM gesture.

There's no issues with the moral compass of anyone who points out the idiocy of both statements and that was the 2 cheeks of the same arse comment I made.

Is anyone posting racist tweets towards players an idiot? Absolutely and I'd be more than disappointed if anyone tried to justify such moronic behavior but, on a different tangent, anyone sharing videos of England fans attacking England fans breaking into the stadium as 'England fans attack Italian fans trying to leave the stadium' is also an idiot. It doesn't matter that there's a degree of idiocy involved they are still idiots.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 16:07]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:09 - Jul 12 with 1225 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:06 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

"Idiots on both sides is bollocks."

Sorry, but when people are posting tweets saying that Southgate purposely set out black players to fail - as the second tweeter I posted did - they are as much as an idiot as someone who posts that Southgate purposely selected black players to take the penalties as some kind of BLM gesture.

There's no issues with the moral compass of anyone who points out the idiocy of both statements and that was the 2 cheeks of the same arse comment I made.

Is anyone posting racist tweets towards players an idiot? Absolutely and I'd be more than disappointed if anyone tried to justify such moronic behavior but, on a different tangent, anyone sharing videos of England fans attacking England fans breaking into the stadium as 'England fans attack Italian fans trying to leave the stadium' is also an idiot. It doesn't matter that there's a degree of idiocy involved they are still idiots.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 16:07]

Nah mate.

Absolute false equivalency. I’ve got nothing more to say.
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:11 - Jul 12 with 1206 viewsDannytheR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:02 - Jul 12 by kensalriser

Was it? I'd far rather lose by the finest of margins than have my team reach a Wembley final. not turn up and lose 3-0, which happened to me in a dream once.

Even in a dream that sounds depressing. Glad that could never happen to my team.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:14 - Jul 12 with 1185 viewsdanehoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:11 - Jul 12 by DannytheR

Even in a dream that sounds depressing. Glad that could never happen to my team.

I would have hated to be at Wembley if that happened.

Never knowingly understood

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:15 - Jul 12 with 1173 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:09 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Nah mate.

Absolute false equivalency. I’ve got nothing more to say.

That's fine and you're entitled to adopt that position.

All I will say is that my 'both sides' point was clearly about 2 posts around Southgate's use of black players during the penalty shootout and you were the one who introduced the discussion of racists on Twitter.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 16:17]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:18 - Jul 12 with 1155 viewsMrSheen

Poor old Newcastle, the myth of Supermac never recovered. Still, rather them than us, eh?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:18 - Jul 12 with 1156 viewsBostonR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:57 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

On my way home from London Bridge last night after the match with mates, son's and daughters, I witnessed the full English!

We have unleashed a fecking crazy mob mentality in this country, which was on full display last night. Out of control dickheads, drunk, drugged and vicious.

I was ashamed of this country last night. We have let something out of the "bottle" and we need to get it sorted quickly, otherwise we are creeping close to anarchy. We need to start cracking some heads and applying some heavy force. It's not a small minority anymore.

Shameless! I agree, no wonder other countries hate us.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:19 - Jul 12 with 1153 viewsdenhamhoop2

I had that same dream and is the only time I've cried over a football match where nobody died
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:20 - Jul 12 with 1150 viewsjoe90

That was really intense! I've not really had any strong feelings about this tournament or England's performance - mostly because the team's performance has been very measured, consistence and as a result predictable. However, the penalty shoot out nearly done me in! I went absolutely bananas when Pickford made his second save and Saka missed I don't think I've ever felt so sorry for a player. I wanted him to score so badly, not just for England, but because of the tournament he's had. Fair result in the end and what a journey! Very proud of the England squad and what Southgate has achieved. The only thing that has dampened my enjoyment is how political it's all become, the racism and the yobs.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:28 - Jul 12 with 1119 viewsKingstan

I covered England home and away from 1980-1998 and I became utterly dissolutioned with the morons that latched onto following the national team abroad, I am still embarrassed by the drunken mindless violence that I had to photograph and the reception I received as a member of the English press corp whilst attending overseas tournaments.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:28 - Jul 12 with 1116 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:18 - Jul 12 by BostonR

On my way home from London Bridge last night after the match with mates, son's and daughters, I witnessed the full English!

We have unleashed a fecking crazy mob mentality in this country, which was on full display last night. Out of control dickheads, drunk, drugged and vicious.

I was ashamed of this country last night. We have let something out of the "bottle" and we need to get it sorted quickly, otherwise we are creeping close to anarchy. We need to start cracking some heads and applying some heavy force. It's not a small minority anymore.

Shameless! I agree, no wonder other countries hate us.

I disagree that its something which has been let out of the bottle to be honest.

The scenes last night are not very different from those we witnessed after we lost to Germany in 96.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1996/06/27/UK-soccer-fans-riot-after-Euro-96-loss/2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Trafalgar_Square_riots

I'd even argue that although numbers of people out last night was probably more than '96, the percentage of those involved was substantially lower and most people at the various flashpoints were standing around filming. At Trafalgar Square 25 years ago it was honestly rare to find someone who wasn't involved in scuffles or attacking the Police.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 16:31]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:31 - Jul 12 with 1100 viewsManinBlack

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:42 - Jul 12 by BAWHoops

Not gonna lie.... on the fcking floor here lads.

Such a great, young, likeable side who stood up for the best of us. Heartbroken for them.
Of course our fans disgraced themselves as always before the game. The English Disease in full show.

Can look at penalty takers in whatever order all day and night, but when you are 1-0 up and on top you have to get that second goal. Been the English achilles heel forever and a day. We always lose control of a game as the whole weight of history starts to push down on us.

Sad to say I don't think they'll ever have a better chance of winning something. Draw opened up, at home, 1-0 up with 25 minutes to go.

Bereft and heartbroken

Yes I feel like you do. I have got to the point where I think I will be gone before QPR win another cup final and England win a tournament. I was only an infant in 1966/67 so recall nothing of the world cup or the league cup finals.

We have now had two Euros at home and missed out winning both. A similar pattern in both in terms of taking the lead after two minutes in the Germany semi in 96, conceding an equaliser and then losing on penalties which we replicated last night with Italy taking a second minute lead again. Even to this day I am sure we would have beaten the Czech Republic in the 96 final if we just had a bit more luck in the semi.

I hope I get proved wrong but winning a tournament overseas is more difficult than winning at home. Belgium have had a good squad in three tournaments but not won them so whilst we have a good squad now it doesn't guarantee anything.

The frustration is that we had this in our hands yesterday and lost our way. I keep telling myself that if the Czechs, Denmark, Greece and Portugal can win the Euros why can't we when we have now had two home Euros with two really good squads? There were similarities with Greece in the way we approached the games being sound defensively as it worked for them but it wasn't to be.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:32 - Jul 12 with 1097 viewsdaveB

I doubt there is a good way to lose but last night felt and still feels horrible
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:33 - Jul 12 with 1089 viewsBostonR

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:28 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

I disagree that its something which has been let out of the bottle to be honest.

The scenes last night are not very different from those we witnessed after we lost to Germany in 96.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1996/06/27/UK-soccer-fans-riot-after-Euro-96-loss/2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Trafalgar_Square_riots

I'd even argue that although numbers of people out last night was probably more than '96, the percentage of those involved was substantially lower and most people at the various flashpoints were standing around filming. At Trafalgar Square 25 years ago it was honestly rare to find someone who wasn't involved in scuffles or attacking the Police.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 16:31]

You're wrong. I travelled from London Bridge to Marylebone (a lot of it on foot) and I am talking thousands, not hundreds involved in an assortment of disorder.

I witnessed football disorder in the 70's and 80's. This was on a different scale.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:36 - Jul 12 with 1074 viewskernowhoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:14 - Jul 12 by danehoop

I would have hated to be at Wembley if that happened.

The only QPR game that I have ever left early. Oh, no, That was a dream as well.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:37 - Jul 12 with 1063 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:33 - Jul 12 by BostonR

You're wrong. I travelled from London Bridge to Marylebone (a lot of it on foot) and I am talking thousands, not hundreds involved in an assortment of disorder.

I witnessed football disorder in the 70's and 80's. This was on a different scale.

With all due respect I don't think anyone is claiming to have seen anything like this:

"England woke up with a familiar hangover yesterday after defeat in the European championships was followed by hooliganism across the nation.

In scenes that most fans had consigned to history, mobs rampaged through cities, towns and villages smashing windows, burning cars and looting shops."

"Police across the country said trouble broke out within minutes of Gareth Southgate's sudden-death penalty miss. The worst trouble flared in Trafalgar Square in London where up to 2,000 drunken yobs pelted police and passers- by with bottles. Cars were overturned and set alight and shop windows smashed as police in riot gear fought first to contain, then to disperse the hooligans. There were more than 200 arrests, 66 people were injured and 40 vehicles and seven buildings were damaged."

"In Bedford, 300 fans rampaged through the town centre, looting shops and smashing windows. Police called in reinforcements from Cambridgeshire, Thames Valley, Hertfordshire and the Metropolitan Police area. There were 33 arrests."

"A police officer suffered a head injury when he was hit by a bottle during a disturbance involving several hundred fans in Swindon, Wiltshire, where cars were wrecked and windows smashed. Similar incidents were reported in Birmingham, Bradford, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, and Newport and Much Wenlock in Shropshire. In Shirley, in the West Midlands, hooligans hurled bricks through a German-owned Aldi supermarket."

Not disputing that you saw widespread disorder but think it's unlikely to have been comparable to what happened 25 years ago.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:39 - Jul 12 with 1052 viewsPBLOCK

I’ve loved every moment of the tournament bar the end result

My little girl is 7 and has shown a bit of an interest but my little boy is 6 and has got totally hooked. He’s been walking round the house singing 3 Lions and Vindaloo and has been wearing his England kit at every opportunity. We went out to watch it a friends house with a big screen in the Garden and him and his little pals were all kitted up and loving it. He absolutely sobbed when Saka missed but he’s learning life lessons if nothing else and for me as his Dad it’s been a brilliant couple of weeks and something I hope we can do many more times

The gloss has been taken off it,by all the idiots trying to get into Wembley fighting amongst themselves and generally behaving like plebs. Also the vitriol aimed at certain England players is disgusting
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:48 - Jul 12 with 1009 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:39 - Jul 12 by PBLOCK

I’ve loved every moment of the tournament bar the end result

My little girl is 7 and has shown a bit of an interest but my little boy is 6 and has got totally hooked. He’s been walking round the house singing 3 Lions and Vindaloo and has been wearing his England kit at every opportunity. We went out to watch it a friends house with a big screen in the Garden and him and his little pals were all kitted up and loving it. He absolutely sobbed when Saka missed but he’s learning life lessons if nothing else and for me as his Dad it’s been a brilliant couple of weeks and something I hope we can do many more times

The gloss has been taken off it,by all the idiots trying to get into Wembley fighting amongst themselves and generally behaving like plebs. Also the vitriol aimed at certain England players is disgusting

Lovely post.

I’m torn on the storming of Wembley. While attacking staff is inexcusable I’m not sure what the ticketing bods were expecting when they charged £800 a ticket for ordinary fans but gave 10,000 away free to sponsors.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:55 - Jul 12 with 972 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:48 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Lovely post.

I’m torn on the storming of Wembley. While attacking staff is inexcusable I’m not sure what the ticketing bods were expecting when they charged £800 a ticket for ordinary fans but gave 10,000 away free to sponsors.

I was surprised to those who broke in being attacked to be honest. I have seen this done a few times over the years and the normal reaction is to assist them.

Like you say, it is impossible to condone the assault of people just doing their jobs, and more than likely around minimum wage despite how much money UEFA and the FA would have made yesterday, but I can understand the frustration of people who are genuine football fans being priced out by money men and, as you say, celebrity freebies like Kate Moss and Tom Cruise.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024