Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread 13:04 - Jul 10 with 39197 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think I’ve been quite lucky so far no?

Well managed England play will defeat the Italians by the odd goal.

Here’s me putting the gauntlet down:

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:08 - Jul 12 with 1479 viewsKonk

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:48 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Lovely post.

I’m torn on the storming of Wembley. While attacking staff is inexcusable I’m not sure what the ticketing bods were expecting when they charged £800 a ticket for ordinary fans but gave 10,000 away free to sponsors.

Ticket prices are no excuse whatsoever for forcing your way into a ground, putting minimum-pay stewards in a dangerous and intimidating position, and then taking seats off people who were the legitimate ticket holders. Absolutely cu ntish behaviour from a bunch of ars eholes.

I’ve looked at about 30 online newspapers from across the continent today - every single one making a big deal of the disorder around Wembley, and the racist social media abuse of England players. Plenty of journalists questioning whether England should host WC2030 when we couldn’t even manage to secure a perimeter around the stadium. It’s not going to have gone unnoticed by the UEFA and Association bigwigs at the game. For those that think the pointless booing National anthems is a harmless bit of pantomime, it was condemned in many of the articles I’ve read, and held up as an example of our lack of class.

It has been so nice watching the country get more and more into the tournament, and Wembley was a proper cauldron at times - we’re one of the great football loving countries; it’s just a pity that there are always a load of thick, pi ssed-up, coked-up kno bs who can be relied upon to act like complete cu nts.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:17 - Jul 12 with 1430 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:08 - Jul 12 by Konk

Ticket prices are no excuse whatsoever for forcing your way into a ground, putting minimum-pay stewards in a dangerous and intimidating position, and then taking seats off people who were the legitimate ticket holders. Absolutely cu ntish behaviour from a bunch of ars eholes.

I’ve looked at about 30 online newspapers from across the continent today - every single one making a big deal of the disorder around Wembley, and the racist social media abuse of England players. Plenty of journalists questioning whether England should host WC2030 when we couldn’t even manage to secure a perimeter around the stadium. It’s not going to have gone unnoticed by the UEFA and Association bigwigs at the game. For those that think the pointless booing National anthems is a harmless bit of pantomime, it was condemned in many of the articles I’ve read, and held up as an example of our lack of class.

It has been so nice watching the country get more and more into the tournament, and Wembley was a proper cauldron at times - we’re one of the great football loving countries; it’s just a pity that there are always a load of thick, pi ssed-up, coked-up kno bs who can be relied upon to act like complete cu nts.

Condemning those that stormed in and those that set ticketing policy isn’t mutually exclusive, but one provided the motivation for the other. To be clear that isn’t justification.

What I’m hearing is that offenders need to be punished, stewards need to be paid more, and ticketing for sponsors needs to be banned.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 17:18]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:18 - Jul 12 with 1427 viewsQPR_Jim

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:48 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Lovely post.

I’m torn on the storming of Wembley. While attacking staff is inexcusable I’m not sure what the ticketing bods were expecting when they charged £800 a ticket for ordinary fans but gave 10,000 away free to sponsors.

Most people would have loved to be at Wembley for the game but only a few who couldn't get tickets decided to storm in. No excuses. They could have held the whole thing behind closed doors and it still wouldn't make it right to storm into the stadium.

Incidentally how do we think this has effected our chances of getting picked as a host nation for a world cup?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:19 - Jul 12 with 1422 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:18 - Jul 12 by QPR_Jim

Most people would have loved to be at Wembley for the game but only a few who couldn't get tickets decided to storm in. No excuses. They could have held the whole thing behind closed doors and it still wouldn't make it right to storm into the stadium.

Incidentally how do we think this has effected our chances of getting picked as a host nation for a world cup?

I did say it was inexcusable right in the middle of the post there.

Not sure we deserve to host a tournament anyway. Let Scotland have it.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:24 - Jul 12 with 1401 viewsRangersw12

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:08 - Jul 12 by Konk

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gary-neville-insists-booing-nationa

I think Neville sums it up pretty well here regarding the booing of national anthems .

As for future World Cups if 6500 can be killed building stadiums in Qatar I'm sure we will be fine to host a tournament where a couple of hundred people tried to watch their team in the biggest game in 55 years
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:25 - Jul 12 with 1390 viewsKonk

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:17 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Condemning those that stormed in and those that set ticketing policy isn’t mutually exclusive, but one provided the motivation for the other. To be clear that isn’t justification.

What I’m hearing is that offenders need to be punished, stewards need to be paid more, and ticketing for sponsors needs to be banned.

Mate, if tickets had been £5 a pop, chances are those blokes still wouldn’t have got tickets owing to scarcity. Are you seriously suggesting that most/all of those storming the barriers etc wouldn’t still have tried to get in if prices were fairer?! I hate ticket prices as much as anyone, but it’s got fu ck-all to do with yesterday. If the stadium was half-empty and ££££ a ticket then more understandable, but that wasn’t the case.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:29 - Jul 12 with 1365 viewsToast_R

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:24 - Jul 12 by Rangersw12

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gary-neville-insists-booing-nationa

I think Neville sums it up pretty well here regarding the booing of national anthems .

As for future World Cups if 6500 can be killed building stadiums in Qatar I'm sure we will be fine to host a tournament where a couple of hundred people tried to watch their team in the biggest game in 55 years

True that. FIFA's criteria for hosting the tournament comes down to the greasing of palms.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:32 - Jul 12 with 1348 viewsnix

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:25 - Jul 12 by Konk

Mate, if tickets had been £5 a pop, chances are those blokes still wouldn’t have got tickets owing to scarcity. Are you seriously suggesting that most/all of those storming the barriers etc wouldn’t still have tried to get in if prices were fairer?! I hate ticket prices as much as anyone, but it’s got fu ck-all to do with yesterday. If the stadium was half-empty and ££££ a ticket then more understandable, but that wasn’t the case.

I agree. This wasn't a class issue, it was a lack of class issue. No excuse for it. There are always events we can't go to, however much we'd love to be there. It's the same for every tournament, the Olympics etc wherever you are in the world, people with power and influence will get tickets. It's no justification for yobbish behaviour.
Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:39 - Jul 12 with 1326 viewsKonk

Well, Qatar’s successful bid allegedly involved some £££/highly questionable voting motivations, so FIFA clearly couldn’t give a sh it how many poor labourers die. Whether it was a major problem or not in your eyes, failing to secure a perimeter around the stadium hosting a final, with fights breaking out in the ground, isn’t a great look, is it?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:42 - Jul 12 with 1303 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:25 - Jul 12 by Konk

Am I suggesting that those blokes wouldn’t have stormed Wembley? No
Am I suggesting the ticketing policy didn’t help? Yes
Am I absolving those blokes for their behaviour? No
Am I criticising corporate ticketing policy and the pricing out of fans? Yes

Also, the stadium was a third empty not half, but that’s by the by and Covid related obviously.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 17:43]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:49 - Jul 12 with 1263 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:53 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

Sorry, it wasn't aimed directly at you, just got a bit fed up last week of people saying it was a micky mouse tournament!

It wasn't and we should be proud to have reached the semi that year!

Yours sincerely,

self confessed pedantic nerd.

Agreed, on the second sentence.

in 68, we in fact beat the Soviet Union 2-0 in the play off to finish 3rd. Something the Euros did away with after 1980
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:51 - Jul 12 with 1255 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:42 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Also, the stadium was a third empty not half, but that’s by the by and Covid related obviously.

Are you saying that there are idiots working at UEFA and idiots among the crowd who stormed the gates so, idiots on both sides?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:57 - Jul 12 with 1229 viewsBoston

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 15:57 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Idiots on both sides is bollocks.

Before we even begin on the monkey emojis and calling players n1ggers ‘One side’ put quite few people in hospital last night on the basis they were either Italian or Black. Last week they bashed the shit out of a Danish father in front of his kids.

The both sides argument minimalises some fcking awful behaviour.

As usual, a minority fcks it for everyone else. No wonder we are globally hated.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 16:04]

You’re not globally hated.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:58 - Jul 12 with 1220 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:51 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

Are you saying that there are idiots working at UEFA and idiots among the crowd who stormed the gates so, idiots on both sides?

I think what UEFA do is extremely calculated and quite clever actually.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:00 - Jul 12 with 1212 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:58 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

I think what UEFA do is extremely calculated and quite clever actually.

We could get into a long discussion here but we'd probably be agreeing with each other the whole way through....
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:10 - Jul 12 with 1175 viewsBoston

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:37 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

With all due respect I don't think anyone is claiming to have seen anything like this:

"England woke up with a familiar hangover yesterday after defeat in the European championships was followed by hooliganism across the nation.

In scenes that most fans had consigned to history, mobs rampaged through cities, towns and villages smashing windows, burning cars and looting shops."

"Police across the country said trouble broke out within minutes of Gareth Southgate's sudden-death penalty miss. The worst trouble flared in Trafalgar Square in London where up to 2,000 drunken yobs pelted police and passers- by with bottles. Cars were overturned and set alight and shop windows smashed as police in riot gear fought first to contain, then to disperse the hooligans. There were more than 200 arrests, 66 people were injured and 40 vehicles and seven buildings were damaged."

"In Bedford, 300 fans rampaged through the town centre, looting shops and smashing windows. Police called in reinforcements from Cambridgeshire, Thames Valley, Hertfordshire and the Metropolitan Police area. There were 33 arrests."

"A police officer suffered a head injury when he was hit by a bottle during a disturbance involving several hundred fans in Swindon, Wiltshire, where cars were wrecked and windows smashed. Similar incidents were reported in Birmingham, Bradford, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, and Newport and Much Wenlock in Shropshire. In Shirley, in the West Midlands, hooligans hurled bricks through a German-owned Aldi supermarket."

Not disputing that you saw widespread disorder but think it's unlikely to have been comparable to what happened 25 years ago.

Newport…Newport,Wales?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:24 - Jul 12 with 1128 viewsR_from_afar

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 12:24 - Jul 12 by themodfather

after it all has settled down, england started well and didn't get that "killer" 2nd goal, second half italy came on us, their goal came thru the ball like a pinball in our box, 3 chances to clear and off the post too, italy unbeaten in 3 years? 33 games before last night, some record at any level. we were the FIRST team to score first against them in 2 yrs, pickford saved 2 pens and it wasn't enough. i am PROUD of the team, gutted but been there time and time again. technically unbeaten in 7 games and just 2 conceded, one in each of the semi and finals games. was there a red card in there? chiellini? pulling saka back by the neck, very naughty and the tackle on grealish, was it as bad as the welsh red? or worse! in the groups italy looked the best team and were lucky v austria , i still think the goal was good and not off but hey ho they are a good team. always hard to beat and we fell just short again but a semi, semi and final is the progression many england fans wanted and it is there to see. that's 2 semi's and a final in 3 tournaments in a row, ffs that's great.

I don’t think either of them were reds. You can’t give a red for a tug back, albeit an agricultural one, that far from the goal. With the Grealish tackle, the Italian player stood on the ball and his foot skidded off. I really don’t think he intended to stand on Grealish’s thigh.

England did phenomenally well to get to the final, the team has really come on in leaps and bounds and they should all be very proud, especially as they took the best team in the tournament all the way. That said, Italy might have won it in normal time if Chiesa — who was a real menace — had not gone off injured.

It all bodes well for England’s future.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:34 - Jul 12 with 1099 viewsKonk

I have no problem with booing the fu ck out of the opposition for 90 minutes, and trying to put them off their game, but booing national anthems just seems completely pointless, classless, and probably counter-productive. And whatever Gary Neville thinks, it is noted and condemned by other countries. It’s not like it even has to be a country we’ve had ‘issues’ with in the past; we will literally boo every fuc ker’s anthem. It’s silly for UEFA to include it in charges, especially when they constantly fail to adequately punish racism, but it does make us look like a bunch of ar seholes, and whether other countries do it or not doesn’t matter.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:42 - Jul 12 with 1074 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:10 - Jul 12 by Boston

Newport…Newport,Wales?

I can't remember to be honest. We've always, bizarrely, had decent support in Cardiff which is just down the road so maybe.

Also, in 1996 Wales hadn't qualified for a tournament for 38 years so maybe that increased the support we had there?
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:45 - Jul 12 with 1064 viewsKonk

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:42 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

I can't remember to be honest. We've always, bizarrely, had decent support in Cardiff which is just down the road so maybe.

Also, in 1996 Wales hadn't qualified for a tournament for 38 years so maybe that increased the support we had there?

I expect it’s Newport near Telford as it said, “Newport and Much Wenlock(!) in Shropshire”.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:54 - Jul 12 with 1035 viewseastside_r

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:42 - Jul 12 by 80s_Boy

There are several Newports in England and this is clearly labelled Newport (Shropshire). I suspect Boston was trying to be funny
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 18:59]
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:54 - Jul 12 with 1033 viewsdaveB

you could see it coming a mile off with fans trying to storm in, when you think how many policer you see at Championship games compared to the zero presence around Wembley Way yesterday it was crazy. I watched at lunchtime seeing so many fans there and i could tell this wouldn't end well

That should have been policed from the start needing a ticket to boxpark or the game otherwise you can't come down, leaving it open for any idiot and letting them drink and go mad from early morning was beyond stupid

What should have been a celebration of football and this exciting England team turned into a national embarrassment. No excuses at all for the people involved, i don't care how much they wanted to go to the game to behave like that was a disgrace
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:57 - Jul 12 with 1017 viewsMatch82

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:17 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Of all the negatives, picking on ticketing for sponsors is a bit weird

Ticketing for sponsors is a perk of the sponsorship and therefore part of the reason cost of sponsorship is too high. No sponsorship = lower bid price = UEFA need to offset that money somehow...= Higher ticket prices

Yes I agree that wouldn't it be nice if tickets were a tenner a piece and freely available, but that isn't the real world.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:59 - Jul 12 with 1003 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 18:54 - Jul 12 by eastside_r

There are several Newports in England and this is clearly labelled Newport (Shropshire). I suspect Boston was trying to be funny
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 18:59]

Ah, I see...
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 19:01 - Jul 12 with 985 viewsMick_S

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 17:42 - Jul 12 by BazzaInTheLoft

Baz, pardon me if I’ve misunderstood your post regarding attendance - I haven’t followed this thread properly. One of my sons was there last night and he said there were very few empty seats. Goodness only knows how many bunked in last night - it’s been going on throughout the whole tournament at Wembley, and of course, the word has gone around. A bad ending to a fantastic time for us England fans.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024