Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread 13:04 - Jul 10 with 39200 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I think I’ve been quite lucky so far no?

Well managed England play will defeat the Italians by the odd goal.

Here’s me putting the gauntlet down:

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:12 - Jul 13 with 1429 viewsTheChef

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:58 - Jul 13 by ozexile

I think you've pretty much covered everything.

Bottom line is we were 1-0 up in the game and then had the advantage in the shoot out, and still lost.

So I think there is still a bit of a mentality issue but it's a learning process - the last three tournaments we've finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd. Qatar is going to be tough with the heat, and in a tournament you often need some luck along the way to win it. And 32 teams - suffice to say I am managing my expectations!

Importantly as mentioned we have a young group of players and you hope in the next 8-10 years they can win a trophy

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:26 - Jul 13 with 1390 viewsHooparoo

Sorry about the result. All the Aussies I know were hoping for an England win as you will always be the soul of football. Great young squad so you can look forward to 2022 with confidence.

Use the hurt as a motivator 😉

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:30 - Jul 13 with 1383 viewsgazza1

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:32 - Jul 13 by SydneyRs

Ok, I'm ready to comment now. I've waited since the game and said nothing, trying to let some of the emotion subside. I'm gutted. We had a massive chance to win a tournament for the first time in my life against, despite all the gushing about them, what was a good but very beatable and not great, Italian team. I firmly believe that if France had not blown a 3-1 lead v the Swiss that they would have taken out the Italians before the final.

The game itself. We had the lead and the ascendancy. They changed tactics and took charge, especially after half time. We failed to respond until extra time when it was too late. We needed to do something to give their defence cause for worry. We needed an outlet. Instead, the second half reminded me of the bad old England days. Long balls up to Kane who won nothing in the air. Panicked clearances due to Italian pressing. No possession.

We needed an outlet. Grealish was probably that person as he showed when he did come on. We failed to test their ageing defence until it was too late and they could accumulate yellow cards at will knowing the game was nearly over. Imagine those bookings occurring 50 mins earlier and the concern that might have caused? Sako wouldn't have been pulled back for a start. There's probably a place for a 10 minute sin bin type system for something as blatant as that when it can't be red carded.

Southgate was very conservative, given the talent at his disposal, and it almost worked. One jammy goal and a couple of bad penalties from winning the comp. Rashford's miss was the turning point. Honestly think we win if he scores his pen. I'm not a fan of this poncing about stuttered run up nonsense. He's shown he can crack them in the corner like Kane and McGuire did. Keep it simple. You hit them right and no keeper saves them.

Strange to see two players sent on just to take pens with no time to adjust to the game. Even stranger that Sako was nominated to be the last taker when he's apparently never taken one at senior club level. Given Pickford saved two of theirs, it makes it even harder to take. I don't care how carefreely they crack them in at training, putting a 19 year old in that position is questionable at best.

That said, Southgate is an impressive individual and has clearly created a terrific team spirit and togetherness in the squad. We were defensively rock solid, conceding only two goals, one a free kick and a lucky Italian equaliser than came about via favourable deflections. We now need to harness all the young attacking talent coming through, as our biggest failing was an inability to create enough chances. The tools are there and Southgate and team must learn from this.

I had to laugh when the commentary here talked about Mancini "masterminding" Man City's win over QPR to win the league. He was livid and losing his sh*t more like and they got lucky at the end.

England have the players to be there or thereabouts for many years to come. However its not easy to get to a final and even less so with almost the whole squad fit. Hopefully plenty to look forward to though and often teams need to lose a final before they win one. When the dust has settled, this experience will benefit the players.

The social media stuff. It does not surprise me. I deliberately logged out of facebook and twitter the night before the game and have yet to log back in. Twitter especially is full of sad, lonely, bitter, hate filled morons, a lot of them Scottish in recent weeks. I knew there would be a deluge of hate if England lost, so will avoid for the next few days until they've emptied their ball sacks and returned to their misery filled lives. You can of course choose who you follow and mute individuals which does help. But you still see stuff if people you follow react to it.

Seen a few comments in this thread on QPR twitter. An eye opener for sure. You always assume fellow fans will be something like you, but some are quite horrible people. Again, unfollow, mute etc. Largely gets rid of them from your view.

The violence etc. To an extent this was to be expected if England lost. Alcohol, drugs and anger/disappointment are not a good mix. Add the whole covid situation and its hugely amplified. The scenes leading up to the final were some of the most hopeful I've seen coming out of the UK for years. Support for a team taking a stand against bigotry and utter joy in the stadium after the wins v Germany and Denmark. A reminder that the decent people still outnumber the hate filled types on social media.

Its depressing though to see the aggression and racism. Make no mistake, the current government has enabled this and appealed to it to suit its own agenda. The likes of Patel commenting on the knee etc add fuel to the fire. These people used to feel like they had to keep their views to themselves, but now are no longer afraid. This problem urgently needs to be fixed. Foreigners aren't going away and the dream some seem to have of a return to 1940s white England is exactly that. The stand Southgate and the team have taken is commendable and frankly embarrasses the politicians who have been happy to promote division to cling to power.

Overall I'm gutted but positive. We have one of the best squads in world football and its getting better. The young, attacking talent coming through is seriously good and with experience will surely make us a major threat at every tournament for some time. At the end of the day, only one team is ever happy at the end of a competition. Hopefully one day it will be our turn.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 0:35]

Some good chat there matey.......very well put.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:41 - Jul 13 with 1361 viewsBrianMcCarthy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 00:32 - Jul 13 by SydneyRs

Ok, I'm ready to comment now. I've waited since the game and said nothing, trying to let some of the emotion subside. I'm gutted. We had a massive chance to win a tournament for the first time in my life against, despite all the gushing about them, what was a good but very beatable and not great, Italian team. I firmly believe that if France had not blown a 3-1 lead v the Swiss that they would have taken out the Italians before the final.

The game itself. We had the lead and the ascendancy. They changed tactics and took charge, especially after half time. We failed to respond until extra time when it was too late. We needed to do something to give their defence cause for worry. We needed an outlet. Instead, the second half reminded me of the bad old England days. Long balls up to Kane who won nothing in the air. Panicked clearances due to Italian pressing. No possession.

We needed an outlet. Grealish was probably that person as he showed when he did come on. We failed to test their ageing defence until it was too late and they could accumulate yellow cards at will knowing the game was nearly over. Imagine those bookings occurring 50 mins earlier and the concern that might have caused? Sako wouldn't have been pulled back for a start. There's probably a place for a 10 minute sin bin type system for something as blatant as that when it can't be red carded.

Southgate was very conservative, given the talent at his disposal, and it almost worked. One jammy goal and a couple of bad penalties from winning the comp. Rashford's miss was the turning point. Honestly think we win if he scores his pen. I'm not a fan of this poncing about stuttered run up nonsense. He's shown he can crack them in the corner like Kane and McGuire did. Keep it simple. You hit them right and no keeper saves them.

Strange to see two players sent on just to take pens with no time to adjust to the game. Even stranger that Sako was nominated to be the last taker when he's apparently never taken one at senior club level. Given Pickford saved two of theirs, it makes it even harder to take. I don't care how carefreely they crack them in at training, putting a 19 year old in that position is questionable at best.

That said, Southgate is an impressive individual and has clearly created a terrific team spirit and togetherness in the squad. We were defensively rock solid, conceding only two goals, one a free kick and a lucky Italian equaliser than came about via favourable deflections. We now need to harness all the young attacking talent coming through, as our biggest failing was an inability to create enough chances. The tools are there and Southgate and team must learn from this.

I had to laugh when the commentary here talked about Mancini "masterminding" Man City's win over QPR to win the league. He was livid and losing his sh*t more like and they got lucky at the end.

England have the players to be there or thereabouts for many years to come. However its not easy to get to a final and even less so with almost the whole squad fit. Hopefully plenty to look forward to though and often teams need to lose a final before they win one. When the dust has settled, this experience will benefit the players.

The social media stuff. It does not surprise me. I deliberately logged out of facebook and twitter the night before the game and have yet to log back in. Twitter especially is full of sad, lonely, bitter, hate filled morons, a lot of them Scottish in recent weeks. I knew there would be a deluge of hate if England lost, so will avoid for the next few days until they've emptied their ball sacks and returned to their misery filled lives. You can of course choose who you follow and mute individuals which does help. But you still see stuff if people you follow react to it.

Seen a few comments in this thread on QPR twitter. An eye opener for sure. You always assume fellow fans will be something like you, but some are quite horrible people. Again, unfollow, mute etc. Largely gets rid of them from your view.

The violence etc. To an extent this was to be expected if England lost. Alcohol, drugs and anger/disappointment are not a good mix. Add the whole covid situation and its hugely amplified. The scenes leading up to the final were some of the most hopeful I've seen coming out of the UK for years. Support for a team taking a stand against bigotry and utter joy in the stadium after the wins v Germany and Denmark. A reminder that the decent people still outnumber the hate filled types on social media.

Its depressing though to see the aggression and racism. Make no mistake, the current government has enabled this and appealed to it to suit its own agenda. The likes of Patel commenting on the knee etc add fuel to the fire. These people used to feel like they had to keep their views to themselves, but now are no longer afraid. This problem urgently needs to be fixed. Foreigners aren't going away and the dream some seem to have of a return to 1940s white England is exactly that. The stand Southgate and the team have taken is commendable and frankly embarrasses the politicians who have been happy to promote division to cling to power.

Overall I'm gutted but positive. We have one of the best squads in world football and its getting better. The young, attacking talent coming through is seriously good and with experience will surely make us a major threat at every tournament for some time. At the end of the day, only one team is ever happy at the end of a competition. Hopefully one day it will be our turn.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 0:35]

Great post, Sydney. Very fair.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:40 - Jul 13 with 1274 viewsdaveB

Great posy Sydney, I still just feel so flat and empty about it all, we were so close. I don't think I'll ever get over this one
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:13 - Jul 13 with 1237 viewsfrancisbowles

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 08:12 - Jul 13 by TheChef

Bottom line is we were 1-0 up in the game and then had the advantage in the shoot out, and still lost.

So I think there is still a bit of a mentality issue but it's a learning process - the last three tournaments we've finished 4th, 3rd, 2nd. Qatar is going to be tough with the heat, and in a tournament you often need some luck along the way to win it. And 32 teams - suffice to say I am managing my expectations!

Importantly as mentioned we have a young group of players and you hope in the next 8-10 years they can win a trophy

Problem is going 1-0 up in the 2nd minute, you really need to add further goal(s), otherwise you will eventually come under so much pressure it will be very difficult, and you will need some luck, to hang on.

As for the penalties, when a team misses a penalty early in the shootout, it seems to ramp up the pressure on the opposition players. It is a perception of mine, which I think I have heard mentioned before, that the team that misses an early one first, more often than not, goes on to win.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:15 - Jul 13 with 1221 viewsstevec

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:40 - Jul 13 by daveB

Great posy Sydney, I still just feel so flat and empty about it all, we were so close. I don't think I'll ever get over this one

I have the antidote for your sadness..

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:20 - Jul 13 with 1212 viewsTheChef

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:13 - Jul 13 by francisbowles

Problem is going 1-0 up in the 2nd minute, you really need to add further goal(s), otherwise you will eventually come under so much pressure it will be very difficult, and you will need some luck, to hang on.

As for the penalties, when a team misses a penalty early in the shootout, it seems to ramp up the pressure on the opposition players. It is a perception of mine, which I think I have heard mentioned before, that the team that misses an early one first, more often than not, goes on to win.

Well yes absolutely we needed a second goal, and then of course Italy grew into the game and increased the pressure. Mancini made the changes and unfortunately Southgate did not - I'd have kept Rice on and brought Grealish on earlier. Always easier to say in hindsight though.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:26 - Jul 13 with 1189 viewstraininvain

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 09:40 - Jul 13 by daveB

I feel gutted too. It was such a good opportunity and I really thought we’d do it when the Italians missed first and again when Pickford saved Jorginho’s penalty. It’ll stay with us for a while yet.

But let’s try to remember the positives from this tournament. Beating Croatia to win our opening game at the Euros for the first time and a bit of revenge for 2018. The Germany win at Wembley and the release we all felt at beating them in a knockout game for the first time since 1966. Ukraine in Rome and the most professional England performance in a knockout game that most of us have ever seen. The rollercoaster of emotions against Denmark and the feeling as we won and made our first final in 55 years. The Italy game ended horribly but the first half performance was brilliant.

It’s a horrible feeling right now but a lot of positives to take from this experience once the dust settles. Even today I feel strangely optimistic. We have a brilliant young group of players and a manager who will learn from this experience and hopefully go one better next year at the World Cup or the Euros in 2024.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:26 - Jul 13 with 1193 viewswillis1980

A big part of me hopes Southgate stays on, what he has done with these young players is great. I also feel like his tactics on the whole worked pretty well, it may not have been the most exhilarating football but we have all seen England go all "blood and thunder" and tragically come unstuck in the end. As much as the team is a work in progress so is Southgate too, if he can feel comfortable enough to let his side show a little more endeavour that would hugely beneficial.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:29 - Jul 13 with 1183 viewsStanFan

Having calmed down a bit and enjoyed the reminder of Zamora day, my biggest disappointment is this. The legacy of the Euros should have been the enjoyment of a summer of football and the progress of a decent young England team with a decent manager who brought the country more together. That would of course be tinged with the disappointment of coming so close and missing out. Instead of this the legacy is one of hooliganism and racism thanks to a bunch of complete *****s.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:34 - Jul 13 with 1165 viewsdenhamhoop2

I think Southgate is a fantastic manager who could probably do with a right hand man with a slightly more attacking way of thinking. Tend to think in football you always need 2 men for the job the Ying to their Yang. From about 40 minutes the Italians had worked out how to play England and switched to 3 mobile forwards to counter the back 3/5 system. Still cannot work out some of Southgate's subs Rice was the one midfielder carrying the game to Italy yet he took him off to put on Henderson who hasn't really played in 6 months very strange. Mount was anonymous yet was left on until Extra Time. I would've brought Sancho on for Trippier and told him to run the legs off Emerson might've been tempted to get Grealish on and take off Kane because quite frankly he looked like he was running on empty in extra time. But we can all second guess in hindsight
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:43 - Jul 13 with 1151 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:26 - Jul 13 by traininvain

I feel gutted too. It was such a good opportunity and I really thought we’d do it when the Italians missed first and again when Pickford saved Jorginho’s penalty. It’ll stay with us for a while yet.

But let’s try to remember the positives from this tournament. Beating Croatia to win our opening game at the Euros for the first time and a bit of revenge for 2018. The Germany win at Wembley and the release we all felt at beating them in a knockout game for the first time since 1966. Ukraine in Rome and the most professional England performance in a knockout game that most of us have ever seen. The rollercoaster of emotions against Denmark and the feeling as we won and made our first final in 55 years. The Italy game ended horribly but the first half performance was brilliant.

It’s a horrible feeling right now but a lot of positives to take from this experience once the dust settles. Even today I feel strangely optimistic. We have a brilliant young group of players and a manager who will learn from this experience and hopefully go one better next year at the World Cup or the Euros in 2024.

Oh yeah I think we've done brilliantly and left it all on the pitch, I honestly thought we'd go out in the 2nd round and could see Wales or Scotland going further but they couldn't have done much more, didn't concede a single goal from open play, those knockout games were sensational, won more in a week than we ever have before in the Euros but it hurts so much. I usually get over things quite quickly I mean supporting QPR and England I'm used to disappointments but waking up today I feel even worse knowing how close we were.

I'm sure the day will come when I feel a bit better, the prospect of this squad a year down the line with Greenwood and possibly Eze added to it is mouth watering but to be so close and having knocked down so many things that usually kill England to be within touching distance and now have to start again feels awful.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:51 - Jul 13 with 1137 viewsSheffieldHoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 16:01 - Jul 12 by Konk

At least the far-right can finally drop the false embrace of a multicultural England side, which after a whole month I'm sure they were sick of, and go back to openly despising everyone who's not white and English.

Yeh that describes the society we live in perfectly, well done Owen Jones

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:58 - Jul 13 with 1114 viewsKonk

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:51 - Jul 13 by SheffieldHoop

Yeh that describes the society we live in perfectly, well done Owen Jones

Well, your original post was a bit silly wasn't it, Rod Liddle?

"At least the leftists can finally drop the false patriotism, which after a whole month I'm sure they were sick of, and go back to openly despising us" - I mean, that's total bol locks, isn't it?
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 11:05]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:10 - Jul 13 with 1076 viewsSheffieldHoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:58 - Jul 13 by Konk

Well, your original post was a bit silly wasn't it, Rod Liddle?

"At least the leftists can finally drop the false patriotism, which after a whole month I'm sure they were sick of, and go back to openly despising us" - I mean, that's total bol locks, isn't it?
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 11:05]

You don't know the leftists I do then do you?

"As I said to a few friends last night;
"So, they had to turn the volume down on the Italian national anthem, because of the booing. Gotta love football supporters......."
English football has always been a national disgrace and will always be a national disgrace. Having not watched an England game for something akin 30 years, due to the media and the "supporters" jingoistic attitude towards the game, I can safely say I shan't be watching another game any time soon.
Apologies, from an Englishman, who has a particular distaste for most of the people that reside in the country I was born in."

This is the sort of tired shit I see on my facebook

I'd suggest if all you can see is hard right racists, delete them.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 11:13]

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:13 - Jul 13 with 1056 viewsKonk

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:10 - Jul 13 by SheffieldHoop

"So, they had to turn the volume down on the Italian national anthem, because of the booing. Gotta love football supporters......."
English football has always been a national disgrace and will always be a national disgrace. Having not watched an England game for something akin 30 years, due to the media and the "supporters" jingoistic attitude towards the game, I can safely say I shan't be watching another game any time soon.
Apologies, from an Englishman, who has a particular distaste for most of the people that reside in the country I was born in."

And you don't know the racists I do then, do you?

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:15 - Jul 13 with 1039 viewsSheffieldHoop

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:13 - Jul 13 by Konk

And you don't know the racists I do then, do you?

Why the hell would anyone want to "know" racists ?

Delete these people Konk. Malign them. Make them feel like outcasts.

Don't come on here bitching to us about it

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:24 - Jul 13 with 1014 viewsozexile

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:34 - Jul 13 by denhamhoop2

I think Southgate is a fantastic manager who could probably do with a right hand man with a slightly more attacking way of thinking. Tend to think in football you always need 2 men for the job the Ying to their Yang. From about 40 minutes the Italians had worked out how to play England and switched to 3 mobile forwards to counter the back 3/5 system. Still cannot work out some of Southgate's subs Rice was the one midfielder carrying the game to Italy yet he took him off to put on Henderson who hasn't really played in 6 months very strange. Mount was anonymous yet was left on until Extra Time. I would've brought Sancho on for Trippier and told him to run the legs off Emerson might've been tempted to get Grealish on and take off Kane because quite frankly he looked like he was running on empty in extra time. But we can all second guess in hindsight

I really like Southgate however some of his decisions were baffling. I can only presume Rice was injured as he was having a stormer. Also IMO that team wasn't sent out for the second half with any other instruction than to sit on the lead. It didn't work in the world cup and is wasn't going to work against Italy.
Mancini was proactive the whole game and Southgate was like a deer in the headlights.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:38 - Jul 13 with 984 viewsdaveB

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:24 - Jul 13 by ozexile

I really like Southgate however some of his decisions were baffling. I can only presume Rice was injured as he was having a stormer. Also IMO that team wasn't sent out for the second half with any other instruction than to sit on the lead. It didn't work in the world cup and is wasn't going to work against Italy.
Mancini was proactive the whole game and Southgate was like a deer in the headlights.

I don't think they tried to sit on the lead they just got pushed back and over run in midfield.

Rice was having a good game but adding some experience and going 4-3-3 made sense and England did get better after the change. I thought Southgate had a very good tournament overall. No manager gets everything right but he certainly got a lot more right than wrong.
England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:45 - Jul 13 with 981 viewsKonk

In response to your edit: Well, that person sounds like a bit of a twa t. I'm not on Facebook or Twitter, precisely because there are enough idiots that I can't avoid in the real world, without inviting more into my life. The only social media I do, is a few football message boards and that, combined with real life experiences, is enough to convince me there are plenty of racist ar seholes out there.

Most of my mates would probably be viewed as 'Leftists' by people on the right, but I don't know anyone who "despises" their country. I know plenty of people who are embarrassed by some of our compatriots needlessly wan ky acting-up though. I have had plenty of mates who would no doubt be described by some as 'Leftists', who have followed England home and away when things were a lot worse with the national team, so I think it's bollocks to suggest that they can't be genuinely patriotic.

I'm proud to be English - there's nowhere else I'd sooner live - but equally I do feel embarrassed when corresponding with friends from overseas or reading international papers, and seeing them unable to comprehend the behaviour of some of our compatriots. I don't hate this country - quite the opposite - but I do hate aggressive, thoughtless cun tish behaviour, and I'm embarrassed and annoyed when it's us lot indulging in it.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 11:59]

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:52 - Jul 13 with 945 viewsKonk

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:15 - Jul 13 by SheffieldHoop

Why the hell would anyone want to "know" racists ?

Delete these people Konk. Malign them. Make them feel like outcasts.

Why the hell would anyone want to "know" people stupid enough to post that they have a particular distaste for most of the people that reside in the country they were born in?

Delete these people SheffieldHoop. Malign them. Make them feel like outcasts.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:57 - Jul 13 with 930 viewsBrianMcCarthy

To be fair, Sheffield, you started the nonsense with generalising about all leftists. You can't really complain when you get a playful dig back.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:58 - Jul 13 with 921 viewsBrianMcCarthy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 11:38 - Jul 13 by daveB

I don't think they tried to sit on the lead they just got pushed back and over run in midfield.

Rice was having a good game but adding some experience and going 4-3-3 made sense and England did get better after the change. I thought Southgate had a very good tournament overall. No manager gets everything right but he certainly got a lot more right than wrong.

Yes, I also wondered if it was something that just happened as Italy gained control rather than a conscious tactical decision.

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 12:05 - Jul 13 with 898 views80s_Boy

England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 v Italy 🇮🇹 Match Thread on 10:29 - Jul 13 by StanFan

Having calmed down a bit and enjoyed the reminder of Zamora day, my biggest disappointment is this. The legacy of the Euros should have been the enjoyment of a summer of football and the progress of a decent young England team with a decent manager who brought the country more together. That would of course be tinged with the disappointment of coming so close and missing out. Instead of this the legacy is one of hooliganism and racism thanks to a bunch of complete *****s.

Does the press not create more racist bollocks by highlighting idiots on Instagram and Twitter and, therefore, unintentionally, creating an environment where other dickheads post stuff they know will offend just because they are that way inclined?

I know there was an argument in the 70/80s that hooliganism was made worse by press coverage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024