Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business 22:10 - Aug 7 with 5431 viewsMattFinish

Last season we started like an express train and faded badly. IMO that was due to lack of depth in the squad and when players couldn't be rotated and we picked up crucial injuries and suspensions it fell apart. Ralph identified the problem when he said he wanted 2 players for every position and by that he obviously meant that the back up would be of similar quality to the first choice.
So this transfer window has seen us sell, release or loan out 21 players including our first choice striker and right back and bring in 4 players, two of whom are 19 year olds. Diallo and Salisu are inexperienced youngsters and should be back ups but will probably be first choice.
We have two keepers who are probably the worse in the PL and the fact that Ralph doesn't fancy either says it all.
We're likely to lose Vestergaard which will leave Bednarek, Salisu and Stephens as our only CBs.
Valery and Livramento are our back up full backs. Lavrimento is a kid and we tried to get rid of Valery who is just not good enough.
JWP is likely to leave so we have Romeu and Armstrong as the only experienced midfielders unless you count Redmond who goes off the boil for 70% of the season. Otherwise you have Diallo, Smallbone and Djnepo who has not lived up to his early few games for us.
I've counted Walcott and Tella as strikers to make it look like we've got some. Tella could well be our star this season but is young and inexperienced. Walcott is inconsistent and injury prone.
The out and out strikers are Adams, Long and Obafemi. I think we'll be lucky to get 12 goals out of them.
So how the hell is this good transfer business other than for Goa and Kat?
We will be most likely missing four of our best performers last season with inferior replacements and a vastly reduced squad which was too thin last season
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:47 - Aug 9 with 1231 viewsMattFinish

We can all agree to disagree, Nick has his opinion and doesn't share mine. Who knows, he may turn out to be right.
The original message of this thread is I disagree that good transfer business has been done. Adam Armstrong may well turn out to be a decent striker but will he be better than Ings?Perraud may be a suitable replacement for Bertrand. But does that solve the lack of squad depth? No
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:48 - Aug 9 with 1229 viewsButty101

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 08:41 - Aug 9 by Sadoldgit

I know you are obsessed with targets so it is odd that you have missed ours. Stay up and try and do well in the cups. How many other club’s owner come out and make mission statements every year? You don’t like Gao far enough. But instead of going on about it constantly in Internet forums where you are preaching to the converted, why not direct your displeasure at the club or do something that might change something?

Show me a quote where the club said our target is to survive and have a cup run! You dont half make a lot of rubbish up

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:54 - Aug 9 with 1221 viewsSadoldgit

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:48 - Aug 9 by Butty101

Show me a quote where the club said our target is to survive and have a cup run! You dont half make a lot of rubbish up

Ralph said it. I believe he is employed by the club therefore it is a club statement is it not? He didn’t exactly say stay up if you are going to be pedantic but does talk about 40 points all the time and said that our aim is to finish higher than we did before.
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:59 - Aug 9 with 1216 viewsDorsetIan

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:47 - Aug 9 by MattFinish

We can all agree to disagree, Nick has his opinion and doesn't share mine. Who knows, he may turn out to be right.
The original message of this thread is I disagree that good transfer business has been done. Adam Armstrong may well turn out to be a decent striker but will he be better than Ings?Perraud may be a suitable replacement for Bertrand. But does that solve the lack of squad depth? No

It's not that Nick doesn't share the majority view on Gao (or the state of the club), it's that he is so hostile to anyone that expresses any criticism of either.

Agreeing to disagree is not so easy when Pravda is so relentlessly dismissive of dissident voices.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:00 - Aug 9 with 1208 viewsButty101

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:31 - Aug 9 by DorsetIan

And check out those few lines at the end of the article...

"Liebherr has said she will sell part of her stake only if the right investor can be found to take the Saints forward.

That does not mean injecting £500m or more.

It means providing enough money to fund the salaries and signings which would persuade Van Dijk, Ryan Bertrand and other stars to stay at St Mary’s rather than joining one of their Premier League rivals."

Straight from the horse's mouth.

Game set and Match!

Nick I’ve asked you several times how can Gao take transfer money out of the club when it will all but guarantee relegation. His 200 million will be worthless overnight. So again why would he take the 6million villa will have paid up front for Ings when it will cost him 200mill?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:04 - Aug 9 with 1201 viewsButty101

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 17:54 - Aug 9 by Sadoldgit

Ralph said it. I believe he is employed by the club therefore it is a club statement is it not? He didn’t exactly say stay up if you are going to be pedantic but does talk about 40 points all the time and said that our aim is to finish higher than we did before.

Go on then back it up and find the quote. Should be easy enough

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/readsouthampton.com/2016/12/07/saints-boss-puel-o
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 18:06]

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:09 - Aug 9 with 1189 viewsButty101

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:04 - Aug 9 by Butty101

Go on then back it up and find the quote. Should be easy enough

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/readsouthampton.com/2016/12/07/saints-boss-puel-o
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 18:06]

Here you go Sogs, I knew you were making things up yet again

Ralph himself outlining his ambition for saints
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/53507/ralph-feels-he-can

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:24 - Aug 9 with 1156 viewsSadoldgit

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:09 - Aug 9 by Butty101

Here you go Sogs, I knew you were making things up yet again

Ralph himself outlining his ambition for saints
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/53507/ralph-feels-he-can

So ambitions for the club have been outlined. What is your problem. One minute moaning that we don’t publish our ambitions and now kicking off despite proving yourself wrong. Odd chap aren’t you? For your information he has spoken about finishing higher than the previous season. Unlike you I have better things to do with my life than spend ages finding the quote.
Login to get fewer ads

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 19:15 - Aug 9 with 1086 viewsButty101

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:24 - Aug 9 by Sadoldgit

So ambitions for the club have been outlined. What is your problem. One minute moaning that we don’t publish our ambitions and now kicking off despite proving yourself wrong. Odd chap aren’t you? For your information he has spoken about finishing higher than the previous season. Unlike you I have better things to do with my life than spend ages finding the quote.

You my old chap are a 100% nailed on loon!

You said our ambition was to merely survive and hopefully a cup run. I’ve proved you wrong as Ralph talked about Europe.

I never said anything about the clubs ambition, just asked you back up what you are saying and you can’t.

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 19:54 - Aug 9 with 1044 viewsbarry_sanchez

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 18:24 - Aug 9 by Sadoldgit

I referred to Gao our owner, Hassenhutl is the one I feel sorry for. Gao has never stated the intention that made him buy the club (one suspects if history is anything to go by it wasn't pure but there we go), him wanting to sell tells you all you need to know.

He is a chancer and a charlatan who bought a wrong'un.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 19:59]

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:04 - Aug 9 with 1033 viewsSadoldgit

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 19:15 - Aug 9 by Butty101

You my old chap are a 100% nailed on loon!

You said our ambition was to merely survive and hopefully a cup run. I’ve proved you wrong as Ralph talked about Europe.

I never said anything about the clubs ambition, just asked you back up what you are saying and you can’t.

You really are a sad individual. You cherry pick a quote at a time we were flying high. Try finding some when we weren’t. It can’t be that difficult because I have read a few. The original comment which you latched onto being the WUM you are was all about our ambitions. Your own quote shows some ambitions. Quotes I have read show ambitions, ergo, the club have published ambitions.
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 21:15 - Aug 9 with 953 viewsButty101

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 20:04 - Aug 9 by Sadoldgit

You really are a sad individual. You cherry pick a quote at a time we were flying high. Try finding some when we weren’t. It can’t be that difficult because I have read a few. The original comment which you latched onto being the WUM you are was all about our ambitions. Your own quote shows some ambitions. Quotes I have read show ambitions, ergo, the club have published ambitions.

I would rather be a WUM than a sad old woke bloke. When I’m your age I hope my existence is more fulfilling than being a troll all day on a nearly dead message board.

And just to clarify Again, you said the clubs sole ambition was to survive and hopefully have a cup run. I picked you up on that as it’s incorrect. Even provided a quote from Ralph . I call that game set and match odd ball.

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 21:55 - Aug 9 with 928 viewsSadoldgit

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 21:15 - Aug 9 by Butty101

I would rather be a WUM than a sad old woke bloke. When I’m your age I hope my existence is more fulfilling than being a troll all day on a nearly dead message board.

And just to clarify Again, you said the clubs sole ambition was to survive and hopefully have a cup run. I picked you up on that as it’s incorrect. Even provided a quote from Ralph . I call that game set and match odd ball.

In which case you can rest easy as you have achieved your ambition.
As for the other nonsense, it just demonstrates that you are not very bright. Have you nothing better to do with your life that be a WUM?
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:23 - Aug 9 with 876 viewspjt50

It's great to be optimistic at the start of a season but what's realistically achievable for teams like Saints? Assuming it's still a big 6, what have the rest done in the past 5 years?

Premier League title: Leicester (2016)
Champions League qualification, exc. PL winner: None
Europa League qualification: West Ham & Saints (2016), Burnley (2018), Wolves (2019), Leicester (2020)
FA Cup: Leicester (2021)
EFL Cup: None

The Leicester City story was a once in a lifetime. Could we repeat our successes of 2015 & 2016, or of Burnley & Wolves, and qualify for the Europa? Maybe, but even if the maximum of 7 teams qualified for Europe, we'd still have to out-perform at least one of the big 6 & Leicester — not to mention the other 12 teams.

Sad, but that's the state of modern football.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:26 - Aug 9 with 864 viewsSaintNick

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:23 - Aug 9 by pjt50

It's great to be optimistic at the start of a season but what's realistically achievable for teams like Saints? Assuming it's still a big 6, what have the rest done in the past 5 years?

Premier League title: Leicester (2016)
Champions League qualification, exc. PL winner: None
Europa League qualification: West Ham & Saints (2016), Burnley (2018), Wolves (2019), Leicester (2020)
FA Cup: Leicester (2021)
EFL Cup: None

The Leicester City story was a once in a lifetime. Could we repeat our successes of 2015 & 2016, or of Burnley & Wolves, and qualify for the Europa? Maybe, but even if the maximum of 7 teams qualified for Europe, we'd still have to out-perform at least one of the big 6 & Leicester — not to mention the other 12 teams.

Sad, but that's the state of modern football.

You are dead right, when we won the so called European Super League battle earlier this year all we did was maintain the status quo which means that for all but a handful of clubs its making up the numbers.

We missed a chance we should have waved them goodbye out of the Premier League.

Villa will spend big this summer, but for what ? 9th place if they are lucky

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 07:48 - Aug 10 with 774 viewsButty101

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 21:55 - Aug 9 by Sadoldgit

In which case you can rest easy as you have achieved your ambition.
As for the other nonsense, it just demonstrates that you are not very bright. Have you nothing better to do with your life that be a WUM?

I might not be bright, but still out smart you every time. That must make you a tyre licker

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 08:35 - Aug 10 with 744 viewsSadoldgit

Transfer business wise so far so potentially good. We have cleared out some dead wood (hopefully still some to go) and Chelsea are now our feeder club which is no bad thing. JWP looks like he is staying but Vest going so another CB and midfielder and we are good to go. I have been impressed by the way have quietly gone about their business despite all the hysteria going on in the social media. Finding quality on a tight budget is never easy but it looks like they are delivering so far. I’m not expecting miracles overnight and it could take a while for the new players to gel, but I am cautiously optimistic that we could have a reasonable season.
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 10:01 - Aug 10 with 712 viewsDorsetIan

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 23:26 - Aug 9 by SaintNick

You are dead right, when we won the so called European Super League battle earlier this year all we did was maintain the status quo which means that for all but a handful of clubs its making up the numbers.

We missed a chance we should have waved them goodbye out of the Premier League.

Villa will spend big this summer, but for what ? 9th place if they are lucky

You write as if a club that aspires to a 9th place finish is the same as one that simply wants to finish 17th.

There's a world of difference.

More games won for a start. More entertainment for the fans. Not looking over your shoulder all season worrying about the drop. More chance to attract better players who will know they have a guaranteed premier league future. Much more chance that in a really good season, a European place might be on offer. Less of a differential to the top 6 that means you can go into games with them with decent hopes of a result. More enthusiastic support from the fans. Bigger gates. Greater commercial revenue. Better opportunities to attract better managers...etc, etc.

It's all connected.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 10:21 - Aug 10 with 699 viewsMattFinish

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 10:01 - Aug 10 by DorsetIan

You write as if a club that aspires to a 9th place finish is the same as one that simply wants to finish 17th.

More games won for a start. More entertainment for the fans. Not looking over your shoulder all season worrying about the drop. More chance to attract better players who will know they have a guaranteed premier league future. Much more chance that in a really good season, a European place might be on offer. Less of a differential to the top 6 that means you can go into games with them with decent hopes of a result. More enthusiastic support from the fans. Bigger gates. Greater commercial revenue. Better opportunities to attract better managers...etc, etc.

It's all connected.

I think Ralph showed what he could do with a fully fit squad and when players started tiring due to having no strength in depth to rotate and when players started to go missing due to injuries and suspensions we equally saw what happened.

I think with some added investment and I don't mean spending what we generate through sales I don't see any reason why we couldn't look at top 10 and a decent cup run rather than settling for 17th spot
Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 11:57 - Aug 10 with 650 viewsSaintNick

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 10:01 - Aug 10 by DorsetIan

It's all connected.

Saints aspire to 9th place , but they are also realistic about how they achieve it, they are looking at a long term plan.

Last October we topped the League and stayed up and around the top 6 until January, were our aspirations any different throughout the season, no but the fact was the squad was too thin.

Now it is a lot better, having jettisoned a large chunk of dead wood this summer and released a lot of cash for wages, we can start to look up the league again.

Something has to change though and that is the attitude in the supporter base, we seem to see that we have a god given right to be in the top 10, that the only thing that has stopped us being there is the fact that the owner has not invested money.

Time and time again every post that says we lack ambition will eventually come down to the fact that gao hasnt put money into the club, its as if its as that is the only thing wrong,.

Ask Everton if they are any nearer the Champions League spot promised by Moshiri when he appointed Koeman 5 years ago.

Gao will know that if he throws £100 million in for transfers that it will be no guarantee of a top 10 finish let alone higher.

This is the reality fo football these days most clubs and that includes Arsenal & Tottenham these days are just treading water, the Big Six is finished it is now a Big Four and they are getting further away from the rest of us

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 12:17 - Aug 10 with 643 viewssaints__fan__73

"Something has to change though and that is the attitude in the supporter base"

Of course! It's not the fault of the owners!! It's all the fans fault!!!!!!!!

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 12:34 - Aug 10 with 636 viewsBicester_North

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 12:17 - Aug 10 by saints__fan__73

Let’s face it though, a lot of our fans, as witnessed on here, are snivelling babies who have no guts whatsoever. The number of sad sacks and grumbling, whining saps drains the life out of the good fans who used to go regularly.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 15:03 - Aug 10 with 580 viewsBison

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 12:17 - Aug 10 by saints__fan__73

Most on here have supported Saints since they were kids , there is probably 1,000's of years and shed loads of money spent on following the team and supporting the club.

How should our attitude change and realistically how will this change of attitude change what happens on the pitch ? Will our change in attitude catapult us into the top 6 ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:04 - Aug 10 with 557 viewsBicester_North

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 15:03 - Aug 10 by Bison

Most on here have supported Saints since they were kids , there is probably 1,000's of years and shed loads of money spent on following the team and supporting the club.

How should our attitude change and realistically how will this change of attitude change what happens on the pitch ? Will our change in attitude catapult us into the top 6 ?

Saints fanbase up until last decade has been as good as anyone as far as a hardcore goes. Since we got back up in 2012 it’s been gradually taken over by dreary melts and premier league brainwashed types.
Apart from one corner and a few scattered around the ground it’s a sanitised, dreary experience and I can’t believe the players get geed up when half the crowd can’t even be arsed to stand up when we score.

We have the odd good throwback following in cup matches such as Anfield, the odd non London away game and the European games were very good, other than that it’s dominated by middle class bores, couples and embarrassing Angus Gunn/baby shark FIFA weirdos.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 16:05]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:10 - Aug 10 with 543 viewsSaintsforeverj

Sorry Nick but sh*t transfer business on 16:04 - Aug 10 by Bicester_North

Saints fanbase up until last decade has been as good as anyone as far as a hardcore goes. Since we got back up in 2012 it’s been gradually taken over by dreary melts and premier league brainwashed types.
Apart from one corner and a few scattered around the ground it’s a sanitised, dreary experience and I can’t believe the players get geed up when half the crowd can’t even be arsed to stand up when we score.

We have the odd good throwback following in cup matches such as Anfield, the odd non London away game and the European games were very good, other than that it’s dominated by middle class bores, couples and embarrassing Angus Gunn/baby shark FIFA weirdos.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 16:05]

This is somewhat true. I know a good few number of people, who can't afford it. A few Saints friends from school, (a long time ago!) only go to the 10 pounds cup games. They can't afford 40 pounds for one match. Add on the price for the rest of the family, it's just too expensive for some. So the passionate fans are being replaced by non passionate ones in the local area, who can afford it.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 16:12]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024