Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's not just food 19:35 - Sep 1 with 3383 viewsdirk_doone

20,000 EU HGV drivers have left the UK since Brexit, never to return. All of the extra Brexit paperwork and bureaucracy have made it a less attractive job for anyone, including Brits.

Poor Tim Martin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58395401

And our garden waste is still not being collected due to staff shortages. The waste disposal teams were mostly Polish and they've left.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 19:37]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

It's not just food on 20:39 - Sep 1 with 2528 viewsDorsetIan

The EU needed us more than we needed them. I can only imagine the chaos on the other side of the channel.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

It's not just food on 20:51 - Sep 1 with 2514 viewsSadoldgit

It's not just food on 20:39 - Sep 1 by DorsetIan

The EU needed us more than we needed them. I can only imagine the chaos on the other side of the channel.

Indeed! 10 drivers for every lorry. 5 pickers for every strawberry. Etc.
It's not just food on 21:24 - Sep 1 with 2480 viewsButty101

It's not just food on 20:51 - Sep 1 by Sadoldgit

Indeed! 10 drivers for every lorry. 5 pickers for every strawberry. Etc.

I went to paultons park today and the nation needs a diet! Well done the government for starting to ration food to tackle obesity

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

It's not just food on 21:26 - Sep 1 with 2480 viewspjt50

It's not just food on 20:39 - Sep 1 by DorsetIan

I'm in The Netherlands & can't say I've noticed any chaos. I had a blood test today which wouldn't be possible in the UK due to the blood bottle shortage.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

It's not just food on 22:32 - Sep 1 with 2414 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 21:26 - Sep 1 by pjt50

I'm in The Netherlands & can't say I've noticed any chaos. I had a blood test today which wouldn't be possible in the UK due to the blood bottle shortage.

We've effectively been cast adrift from Europe and our supply chain. Welcome to Brexitworld, which is beginning to look a bit like Westworld: another potty idea which went badly wrong.

On a personal basis, I find the fact that I can no longer take the holidays in Europe that I want, which if we were still in the EU, I would still be able to , frustrating, and the fact that not all of my refuse is collected any more, bloody annoying. I notice the empty sections in the shops but I can work around them. But, why on earth did we bring this on ourselves? It appears that it was to give Pythonesque cartoon characters from the Ministry of Silly Walks, like Boris Johnson and Dominic Raab, more control. Well that worked out well.

As for the Brexit bureaucracy, only an HGV driver, if we have any of them left, could tell us how much worse all the extra paperwork and delays are driving to and from Europe. At least they can watch the increased flood of illegal immigrants, the French no longer feel any obligation to stop, pouring in across the Channel in their rubber dinghies, while they are waiting, held up in the Brexit queues in and around Dover.

As for the impact on the NHS, aside from all of the doctors and nurses who have left, you can't even have blood tests in this country any more because of the shortage of vials to put the blood in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58324108
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 22:48]

It's not just food on 23:00 - Sep 1 with 2378 viewsChesham_Saint

It's not just food on 22:32 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

We've effectively been cast adrift from Europe and our supply chain. Welcome to Brexitworld, which is beginning to look a bit like Westworld: another potty idea which went badly wrong.

On a personal basis, I find the fact that I can no longer take the holidays in Europe that I want, which if we were still in the EU, I would still be able to , frustrating, and the fact that not all of my refuse is collected any more, bloody annoying. I notice the empty sections in the shops but I can work around them. But, why on earth did we bring this on ourselves? It appears that it was to give Pythonesque cartoon characters from the Ministry of Silly Walks, like Boris Johnson and Dominic Raab, more control. Well that worked out well.

As for the Brexit bureaucracy, only an HGV driver, if we have any of them left, could tell us how much worse all the extra paperwork and delays are driving to and from Europe. At least they can watch the increased flood of illegal immigrants, the French no longer feel any obligation to stop, pouring in across the Channel in their rubber dinghies, while they are waiting, held up in the Brexit queues in and around Dover.

As for the impact on the NHS, aside from all of the doctors and nurses who have left, you can't even have blood tests in this country any more because of the shortage of vials to put the blood in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58324108
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 22:48]

You can’t take holidays in Europe? Please clarify.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

It's not just food on 23:07 - Sep 1 with 2373 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 23:00 - Sep 1 by Chesham_Saint

You can’t take holidays in Europe? Please clarify.

I've booked a short trip to Belgium but can't go because of Brexit. If we were still in the EU, I could. There are thousands of other examples but that's the one that's currently annoying me.

Brexit is just self-harming on a national level.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 23:11]

It's not just food on 23:13 - Sep 1 with 2360 viewsChesham_Saint

It's not just food on 23:07 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

I've booked a short trip to Belgium but can't go because of Brexit. If we were still in the EU, I could. There are thousands of other examples but that's the one that's currently annoying me.

Well all those people I know who’ve claimed to have had summer holidays all over Europe must have been lying to me then…

Login to get fewer ads

It's not just food on 23:15 - Sep 1 with 2359 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 23:13 - Sep 1 by Chesham_Saint

Well all those people I know who’ve claimed to have had summer holidays all over Europe must have been lying to me then…

Chesham, you have obviously had a lot of people lying to you if they claimed to have had city breaks in countries like Belgium, where if you can enter at all, quarantine periods are required for Brits but not EU citizens.

The truth is our European travel options are severely limited because of Brexit. If we hadn't left, we could go anywhere in Europe, just like we did before.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2021 12:18]

It's not just food on 23:30 - Sep 1 with 2341 views1885_SFC

Dirk, a bit of perspective;

I have two brothers - one older, one younger - and both drive HGV 1 trucks. One drives the huge Tesco trucks & the other a huge ParcelForce truck. Brexit is barely a factor when it comes to driver shortages...

Old School is Cool

It's not just food on 23:45 - Sep 1 with 2330 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 23:30 - Sep 1 by 1885_SFC

Dirk, a bit of perspective;

I have two brothers - one older, one younger - and both drive HGV 1 trucks. One drives the huge Tesco trucks & the other a huge ParcelForce truck. Brexit is barely a factor when it comes to driver shortages...

I watched the video. He said "I won't say Brexit wasn't a contributory factor". He then said that "Polish people were going home because they could earn more money" and "I've now got all of the barriers to get through: Brexit and COVID." He then ranted against the bureacracy in the UK.

Basically he wished he was in the EU in the pre-Brexit era and could earn more money.

If you are trying to praise Brexit, you really should have watched that video before you posted it.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 0:01]

It's not just food on 00:47 - Sep 2 with 2275 viewsBicester_North

It's not just food on 23:15 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

Chesham, you have obviously had a lot of people lying to you if they claimed to have had city breaks in countries like Belgium, where if you can enter at all, quarantine periods are required for Brits but not EU citizens.

The truth is our European travel options are severely limited because of Brexit. If we hadn't left, we could go anywhere in Europe, just like we did before.

What’s happened with your Belgium trip then?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

It's not just food on 01:36 - Sep 2 with 2250 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 00:47 - Sep 2 by Bicester_North

What’s happened with your Belgium trip then?

"The UK is currently classified as red zone (high risk) on the Belgian government’s travel colour code system" whereas EU citizens are free to travel there. Similar travel restrictions apply to non-EU citizens from red zone countries in much of Europe. Our rights to live, work, study and holiday in most of Europe have been taken away.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 1:53]

It's not just food on 02:58 - Sep 2 with 2220 viewsDellbert_Wilkins

Those poor lorry drivers and their 25% average earning increase.
It's not just food on 03:17 - Sep 2 with 2219 viewsDellbert_Wilkins

https://www.globalcoldchainnews.com/driver-shortage-is-pan-european/
It's not just food on 05:49 - Sep 2 with 2181 views1885_SFC

It's not just food on 03:17 - Sep 2 by Dellbert_Wilkins

Those stats can't be true. Dirk said so. Apparently, Europe is awash with drivers - tens of thousands of them - that refuse to come back here... because we left Europe.

Old School is Cool

It's not just food on 07:39 - Sep 2 with 2126 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 05:49 - Sep 2 by 1885_SFC

Those stats can't be true. Dirk said so. Apparently, Europe is awash with drivers - tens of thousands of them - that refuse to come back here... because we left Europe.

The link opens with "a combination of Covid-19, Brexit and the ongoing structural issues restricting the supply of drivers has brought us to a crisis point."

Can't you find any article that doesn't blame Brexit?

I understand that people who voted for Brexit are relectant to admit that it is even partly to blame for anything but as someone who voted against it I am prepared to admit that Covid-19 is partly to blame for the driver shortage throughout Europe.

"Those stats can't be true. Dirk said so." Whilst we clearly voted differently in the EU referendum, there is no need to resort to lying. I 've always got on well with you in the past and thought you were better than that.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 8:30]

It's not just food on 08:48 - Sep 2 with 2054 viewsBazza

It's not just food on 07:39 - Sep 2 by dirk_doone

The link opens with "a combination of Covid-19, Brexit and the ongoing structural issues restricting the supply of drivers has brought us to a crisis point."

Can't you find any article that doesn't blame Brexit?

I understand that people who voted for Brexit are relectant to admit that it is even partly to blame for anything but as someone who voted against it I am prepared to admit that Covid-19 is partly to blame for the driver shortage throughout Europe.

"Those stats can't be true. Dirk said so." Whilst we clearly voted differently in the EU referendum, there is no need to resort to lying. I 've always got on well with you in the past and thought you were better than that.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 8:30]

Dirk just take off your anti Brexit specs. I watched the video clip and you’ve been very selective, his main point is companies not paying enough.
It's not just food on 08:52 - Sep 2 with 2042 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 03:17 - Sep 2 by Dellbert_Wilkins

Thanks for the link, Dellbert. I read your article. It's fair and balanced and I agree with it.

It says: "a combination of Covid-19, Brexit and the ongoing structural issues restricting the supply of drivers has brought us to a crisis point.

The UK is in a particularly difficult position as it is not only grappling with Brexit, but it also saw many European workers leave over the course of the pandemic, as fears over lockdowns grew."

PS Bazza, I've only just seen your reply and I agree, the drivers want more money too.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 8:57]

It's not just food on 08:55 - Sep 2 with 2036 viewsButty101

It's not just food on 01:36 - Sep 2 by dirk_doone

"The UK is currently classified as red zone (high risk) on the Belgian government’s travel colour code system" whereas EU citizens are free to travel there. Similar travel restrictions apply to non-EU citizens from red zone countries in much of Europe. Our rights to live, work, study and holiday in most of Europe have been taken away.

We are a red zone, Covid is on the increase again in the UK.
You dont know that regardless of Brexit if the UK would be on Belgiums red list.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

It's not just food on 09:03 - Sep 2 with 2027 viewsBicester_North

I had to look this up. What you say about Belgium and EU countries is wrong.

https://www.info-coronavirus.be/en/colour-codes-by-country/

What’s the point of bullshitting?
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 9:04]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

It's not just food on 09:17 - Sep 2 with 2008 viewssaints__fan__73

It's not just food on 23:07 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

Aren't you getting Brexit and Covid confused?

What non-related to Covid reason has Brexit resulted in which means UK residents can't take a weekend break to Belgium?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

It's not just food on 09:20 - Sep 2 with 2006 viewssaints__fan__73

Ahh.. It was that. You meant that you can't go to Belgium for the weekend due to Covid not Brexit.

Odd things to confuse.......

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

It's not just food on 09:48 - Sep 2 with 1963 viewsChesham_Saint

It's not just food on 23:15 - Sep 1 by dirk_doone

Holy shit! Does this mean my two young kids who’ve been with their mother the whole summer in Spain really aren’t there? And that all the Friends from England who they met also really weren’t there?

Or the disabled son of some close friends really didn’t spend a week on the beach in Cyprus? Or the daughter of another friend who’s planning to come back from France (where she lives) to bring up her baby can’t get back in to the UK?

Wow. I never knew I new so many downright liars. Thanks for opening my eyes to the fact that they’re all such egregious liars. All of them. Every single one.

Hmmm, Although I admit, none took a city break in Brussels.

In short, WALOB.

It's not just food on 09:56 - Sep 2 with 1950 viewsdirk_doone

It's not just food on 09:20 - Sep 2 by saints__fan__73

Ahh.. It was that. You meant that you can't go to Belgium for the weekend due to Covid not Brexit.

Odd things to confuse.......

Not at all, my old mate. Of course Covid-19 is the basic cause of the travel restrictions. It's just that not being in the EU makes them much worse for us. If we were still in the EU, as I've been fully vaccinated, I would currently hold an EU Digital COVID Certificate (EUDCC) and would be free to enter Belgium without having to be tested and quarantined. (The quarantine period would be longer than my planned trip).

"Travellers arriving from a "red" zone, and holding a EUDCC, are exempted from further testing and quarantine requirements if their EUDCC contains a certificate of full vaccination."

Brexit is not the cause of most of the problems; it just seems to make them worse.

PS Chesham, I said Belgium not Spain. They are different countries.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2021 10:03]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024