Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO 09:45 - Oct 12 with 3114 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/55967/southampton-owners

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:07 - Oct 14 with 909 viewsSaintNick

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 11:48 - Oct 14 by DorsetIan

Of course I know little of what goes on behind the scenes, but I know that he says very little to the fans and is never seen at games. The ordinary fan doesn't get the impression that he is doing much or offering much in the way of leadership, but you are clearly closer to the 'behind the scenes' position than I am.

I have no real interest in what Semmens says. He's only ever going to say one thing.

I also have no interest in what plans Gao had or why his 'hands are tied'. As I've said on here many times, it's not personal. It's not about Gao the man, it's about Gao's period of ownership.

You say that 'Gao can also underpin the club if so needed', but at the same time you say his hands are tied. His period of ownership has been characterised by serious parsimony.

Everton have been in the top flight since 1954. They are no longer in any danger of relegation.

Everyone agrees we need a new owner, so why keep defending him - is it just to wind up my and Butty?

As for the team. I've posted elsewhere that we do now have a good crop of exciting youngsters, but we've had to buy them in because the academy doesn't seem to be producing much. And there may not be enough of them to make a team good enough to stay up. The jury is still out, we will know a lot more after the next few game and we can all have hope but, for me, there are usually 2-3 players in every starting line up that are probably not good enough for this league. Particularly, McCarthy, Redmond, Djeneppo and Walcott. This is where Gao's lack of ambition shows. Not the young good ones; the ones that we can't afford to and haven't replaced.

This is starting to go around in circles now, if you have no interest in what any of them say then why bother, as you said they all say the same thing whether they are top or bottom of the league.

Everyone may say we need a new owner, but no one agrees on what a new owner should look like, for most including you Gao's only real crime is that he doesn't turn up at the games with a scarf around his neck and he doesn't bung the club £100 million each year for new signings.

That makes him a bad owner whereas if he did those things he would be seen as an ambitious owner, despite the fact he would still only be getting the club to 10th as per Everton & Aston Villa who are ambitious clubs.

Football changes in a matter of weeks, Broja comes in on Saturday and blows away Leeds, we beat Burnley and Watford with Adam Armstrong and Broja scoring freely and suddenly we are in the top 10, and a well run club until the next time we have a bad run.

We have spent the last 3 years trying to get salaries off the wage bill we are now starting to do that and can move forward

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:52 - Oct 14 with 885 viewsButty101

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:07 - Oct 14 by SaintNick

This is starting to go around in circles now, if you have no interest in what any of them say then why bother, as you said they all say the same thing whether they are top or bottom of the league.

Everyone may say we need a new owner, but no one agrees on what a new owner should look like, for most including you Gao's only real crime is that he doesn't turn up at the games with a scarf around his neck and he doesn't bung the club £100 million each year for new signings.

That makes him a bad owner whereas if he did those things he would be seen as an ambitious owner, despite the fact he would still only be getting the club to 10th as per Everton & Aston Villa who are ambitious clubs.

Football changes in a matter of weeks, Broja comes in on Saturday and blows away Leeds, we beat Burnley and Watford with Adam Armstrong and Broja scoring freely and suddenly we are in the top 10, and a well run club until the next time we have a bad run.

We have spent the last 3 years trying to get salaries off the wage bill we are now starting to do that and can move forward

Nick - As other people have said how can Gao underpin the club when he is unable to to currently invest in the club?

Nick Im still waiting for you to explain how Gao can take money from transfer fees. I noticed you side stepped answering that after I explained why I don’t think he can load more debt on to the club to get his money back.

If he’s done a similar job to Marcus, why isn’t he revered by the fans

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 13:53 - Oct 14 with 873 viewssaints__fan__73

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:52 - Oct 14 by Butty101

Nick - As other people have said how can Gao underpin the club when he is unable to to currently invest in the club?

Nick Im still waiting for you to explain how Gao can take money from transfer fees. I noticed you side stepped answering that after I explained why I don’t think he can load more debt on to the club to get his money back.

If he’s done a similar job to Marcus, why isn’t he revered by the fans

Gao has no money to put into the club. Semmens has stated this time and time again.

For official club apologist Illingsworth to say he would 'underpin' the club is not only laughable but actually directly contradicts what the board itself has been saying.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 14:22 - Oct 14 with 842 viewsDorsetIan

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:07 - Oct 14 by SaintNick

Your first three paras aren't worth responding to. You've obviously not been paying attention if you think I am only concerned about his attendance at games.

I think we all agree why we need a new owner. I just don't share your need to keep giving this one credit for stuff he hasn't done.

And I agree with you too about the team. The young players give us some reason for optimism and I hope they will all come good. And, yes, that could happen quickly.

So I hope you are right about Gao, and that time will prove that all his work behind the scenes has laid the foundations for a great future.

But unless and until that happens, I think it's fair to say that we've been in decline since Gao took over and very obviously so in 2021.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 16:16 - Oct 14 with 793 viewsKennington

Ideal scenario is Gao cuts his losses and sells to anyone half decent. If he bought us as an investment he should realise investments go up and down. It’s not our problem he could end up bankrupt. It’s the only upside of us getting relegated that our anonymous owner who has only brought huge debt on the club will be financially screwed, that and the championship is a lot of fun.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 22:45 - Oct 14 with 725 viewsBazza

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 16:16 - Oct 14 by Kennington

Ideal scenario is Gao cuts his losses and sells to anyone half decent. If he bought us as an investment he should realise investments go up and down. It’s not our problem he could end up bankrupt. It’s the only upside of us getting relegated that our anonymous owner who has only brought huge debt on the club will be financially screwed, that and the championship is a lot of fun.

Why do you say ‘owner only brought huge debt on the club?
Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 07:30 - Oct 15 with 687 viewsKennington

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 22:45 - Oct 14 by Bazza

Why do you say ‘owner only brought huge debt on the club?

Fair point, he’s also brought back Ollie Lancashire.

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 08:53 - Oct 15 with 654 viewsChesham_Saint

I don’t know if this has been covered elsewhere, but if we assumed for a moment that Gao wanted to sell, how is it that Newcastle can attract a cash rich buyer but Saints can’t?

Ok, Newcastle have won more than us (in the dim distant past) and are a somewhat bigger club. BUT, let’s face it, they’re in a remote part of the country with, compared to Hampshire, shit weather. It seems to me that with its proximity to London (and the Solent for mooring billionaire stylee mega yachts) a good ground with great infrastructure, SFC should be an attractive proposition.

Or am I missing something ? And don’t say shit fans as the reality is ours are no worse than most and better than many. So what’s not to like?

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Login to get fewer ads

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 09:42 - Oct 15 with 642 viewsDorsetIan

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 08:53 - Oct 15 by Chesham_Saint

I don’t know if this has been covered elsewhere, but if we assumed for a moment that Gao wanted to sell, how is it that Newcastle can attract a cash rich buyer but Saints can’t?

Ok, Newcastle have won more than us (in the dim distant past) and are a somewhat bigger club. BUT, let’s face it, they’re in a remote part of the country with, compared to Hampshire, shit weather. It seems to me that with its proximity to London (and the Solent for mooring billionaire stylee mega yachts) a good ground with great infrastructure, SFC should be an attractive proposition.

Or am I missing something ? And don’t say shit fans as the reality is ours are no worse than most and better than many. So what’s not to like?

It's a good point. And it's surely all about perception. Everyone connected with them sees them as 'bigger' and more important than they are; whereas probably the opposite is true for Saints. People buy an idea rather than a reality these days.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 10:11 - Oct 15 with 621 viewsMessysaints

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 16:16 - Oct 14 by Kennington

this is silly, the only debt on the club is a loan that the club needed to pay its bills during lockdown period when no fans was attending and tv revenues shrunk as not all games was played at the correct time. its a debt that should be fairly easy to clear and is noting on spurs 1 billion loans..........
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 10:19]
Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 10:26 - Oct 15 with 609 viewsSadoldgit

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 08:53 - Oct 15 by Chesham_Saint

You have got the nail on the head Chesham. They are a “bigger” club. They have a much bigger fan base and have a much greater potential for financial growth. The NE has been and will always be a “hot bed” of football. You can’t really say that of the south coast. Lawrie Mac used to say back home if they won they danced in the streets, down south they dance in their kitchens. Southampton FC has never been a big club in terms of crowd attendance or financial pull. No one invests in a football club to make money but if you are going to buy a football club it makes more sense to pour your money into something that is a sleeping giant with huge potential than something that is a semi comatose dwarf.
Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 10:28 - Oct 15 with 607 viewssaints__fan__73

That's the issue. he can't cut his losses without personally bankrupting himself.....

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 11:09 - Oct 15 with 590 viewsSaintNick

You are right this is the ideal scenario, I don't think his financial situation is perilous, if it was he could have sold the club for around £125 million earlier in the year.

He has not brought huge debt on the club or at least in terms of how much debt the rest of the premier League clubs have it is not huge nor different from most.

Yes we have borrowed but having a stable owner means we can borrow, if Gao just left us to it as Gaydamak did to Pompey then we would struggle to borrow money when we needed to as we had to last year because of Covid.

Gao won't end up bankrupt and by not selling to the first shyster who offers him some of his money back he has shown that at least he has some loyalty to the club.

As Semmens as said there have been plenty of interest in buying the club, probably Burnley's new owners were sniffing around, now if we were in their position with £200 million debt leveraged against us we would have something to moan about

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 11:50 - Oct 15 with 560 viewsdirk_doone

You have a lot of faith in Gao's finances. Most other people think he's heavily in debt and in real financial trouble. Did you hear what Simon Jordan had to say on Talksport? Try doing a bit of research online and you should come to the same conclusion. Of course, on top of that, the Club itself is also heavily in debt. Meanwhile Kat has cleaned up with another £200 mill in her bank account.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 11:53]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:00 - Oct 15 with 546 viewsSaintNick

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 11:50 - Oct 15 by dirk_doone

You have a lot of faith in Gao's finances. Most other people think he's heavily in debt and in real financial trouble. Did you hear what Simon Jordan had to say on Talksport? Try doing a bit of research online and you should come to the same conclusion. Of course, on top of that, the Club itself is also heavily in debt. Meanwhile Kat has cleaned up with another £200 mill in her bank account.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 11:53]

Ive just looked online and according to most of the stories i have read Gao is worth between £2.4 -3 billion, ranking him the 10th richest owner in UK football clubs.

There are many things unclear about Gao due to his being in China and more difficult to find accurate information on, but instead of claiming he is heavily in debt, why not provide a link to the story

Likewise what do you call heavy debt, Spurs with £1.2 billion have heavy debt , the issue with debt is not how much but that it is servicable.

Saying he lost his controlling interest in Lander and is struggling for money is also misleading, he sold a stake in it almost 3 years ago as was covered by an article on this site back then

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/49726/

This post has been edited by an administrator

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:04 - Oct 15 with 541 viewsdirk_doone

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:00 - Oct 15 by SaintNick

Ive just looked online and according to most of the stories i have read Gao is worth between £2.4 -3 billion, ranking him the 10th richest owner in UK football clubs.

There are many things unclear about Gao due to his being in China and more difficult to find accurate information on, but instead of claiming he is heavily in debt, why not provide a link to the story

Likewise what do you call heavy debt, Spurs with £1.2 billion have heavy debt , the issue with debt is not how much but that it is servicable.

Saying he lost his controlling interest in Lander and is struggling for money is also misleading, he sold a stake in it almost 3 years ago as was covered by an article on this site back then

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/49726/

This post has been edited by an administrator

Those 'stories' are old and they were just bullsh!t in the first place. Look at some reliable sources like Forbes. I've also heard 'stories' that he hasn't paid back any of the money he borrowed to pay Kat but has just kept up the interest payments.

You won't find Gao Jisheng anywhere near this list as he is not at all rich but you will find several of Wolves' owners here:

https://www.forbes.com/china-billionaires/list/7/#tab:overall
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 12:09]

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:06 - Oct 15 with 538 viewsSaintNick

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:04 - Oct 15 by dirk_doone

Those 'stories' are old and they were just bullsh!t in the first place. Look at some reliable sources like Forbes. I've also heard 'stories' that he hasn't paid back any of the money he borrowed to pay Kat but has just kept up the interest payments.

You won't find Gao Jisheng anywhere near this list as he is not at all rich but you will find several of Wolves' owners here:

https://www.forbes.com/china-billionaires/list/7/#tab:overall
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 12:09]

Why not put the link up then so we can all see.

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:07 - Oct 15 with 536 viewsclunk76

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 10:28 - Oct 15 by saints__fan__73

That's the issue. he can't cut his losses without personally bankrupting himself.....

If (when) we go down, i would imagine, like the sponsorship money that seems to have all been forgotten about, i'd imagine the parachute payments would also be mysteriously hoovered up....
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 12:08]
Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:22 - Oct 15 with 517 viewsSaintNick

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:07 - Oct 15 by clunk76

If (when) we go down, i would imagine, like the sponsorship money that seems to have all been forgotten about, i'd imagine the parachute payments would also be mysteriously hoovered up....
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 12:08]

A fair suggestion, but if his issue was about debt and money then given that he has been trying to sell up for the past 18 months or so, why hasn't he hoovered up transfer fees received and thus speeded up relegation and the parachute payments rather than re invest it and keep us hanging on in there.

As I keep saying Gao isn't putting money in but so far he isn't selling us down the river

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:36 - Oct 15 with 494 viewsdirk_doone

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:22 - Oct 15 by SaintNick

A fair suggestion, but if his issue was about debt and money then given that he has been trying to sell up for the past 18 months or so, why hasn't he hoovered up transfer fees received and thus speeded up relegation and the parachute payments rather than re invest it and keep us hanging on in there.

As I keep saying Gao isn't putting money in but so far he isn't selling us down the river

Unlike most fans, I feel a little bit of sympathy for Gao, as he was lured into this by Kat and her advisers over a period of more than a year, who convinced him that ownership of SFC would be a licence to print money, with hundreds of millions of Premier League income plus a fortune to be made from producing players in our academy or buying them for next to nothing and then selling them for massive profits. He was just too naive, as if he'd done a bit of research he'd have found that the cupboard was almost bare. The only sensible thing he did was force Kat and Les to delay the sale of van Dijk until after he'd taken over; otherwise he wasn't going to pay her.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 12:39]

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:36 - Oct 15 with 493 viewsKennington

Southampton Ownership Structure Could Change Says Saints CEO on 12:22 - Oct 15 by SaintNick

The sales of Vestegard and Ings would suggest otherwise. Those two are not top players like Mane or Van Djik. These are players a tier or two below, and Gao was content (tacitly or otherwise) for them to be sold and not to build around that level of player. Instead they were replaced with gambles.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024