Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Active Owners. 10:26 - Nov 10 with 2618 viewsSaintNick

On an article on the home page someone suggest that if we had had an active owner Ralph would have been sacked last season, I actually think although that is true, but it is the clubs with active owners who lurch from one manager to another, Everton, Chelsea & Spurs to name just three.

Whereas the ones where the owners sit back and let the professionals they have hired to run the club get on with it, such as Manchester City & Liverpool are the ones that have stability & prosper.

It is about looking at the bigger picture, when results are bad looking to see how much of that is the manager or how much is things outside his control.

A year ago we were all hailing Ralph for getting us to the top of the League and then it went to pot, but it went pear shaped not because of the manager, but because of a big injury crisis due to a small squad, it went wrong due to poor refereeing and VAR.

The 9-0 was bad at Old Trafford, but was it Ralph's fault, no he had a starting XI with two players with only minutes of experience in the first team between them, he had two goalkeeper and a load of academy players on the bench, when we had an early sending off he could not control that, he had to play the game with no options off the bench.

The VAR let us down especially in the last 6 minutes when at 6-0 a penalty was awarded wrongly and a player sent off (later rescinded) which turned a bad defeat into a record one.

We have worked hard in the summer to rectify the things we can change, we have built a bigger squad with more quality in it(a pity Ings didn't stay ) Ralph has learned from the experience, we are no longer gung ho, we are measured and can handle it at the back now. There are those saying that we have scraped three 1-0 wins, on paper yes, but we stuck to a game plan and saw the games out, in the past seasons we would have poured forward and got caught on the break.

Things have changed and Ralph has always been part of the solution and not the problem, of course he has done things wrong and it is a learning curve, but overall he is doing a good job in the circumstances.

If someone could name me a better manager who would firstly realistically come to Saints and secondly would be here for the long haul and not just a short term thing where he will jump ship at the first good offer then I will happily see him appointed.

Thank god we don't have active owners

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Active Owners. on 13:58 - Nov 11 with 937 viewsBison

Active Owners. on 18:17 - Nov 10 by TripleNiemi

Where is this 'Sandy Balls' you speak of? Sounds a blast and i could be missing something.......

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/holiday-parks/sandy-balls-holiday-village-saba/?clic

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Active Owners. on 06:57 - Nov 12 with 854 viewssaintwizzler

Active Owners. on 13:58 - Nov 11 by Bison

https://www.hoseasons.co.uk/holiday-parks/sandy-balls-holiday-village-saba/?clic

Balls of Sandy

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Active Owners. on 08:21 - Nov 12 with 812 viewsJaySaint

Active Owners. on 17:04 - Nov 10 by saints__fan__73

We're a much smaller club in a much smaller city? Billionaires looking to rule world football don't tend to buy provincial clubs.

the size of newcastle and southampton (as cities) are pretty similar.
The size of the grounds, are not

What is a provincial club anyway, and why is southampton one of these, but not newcastle?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Active Owners. on 08:57 - Nov 12 with 788 viewssaint901

Statistics say that the Southampton urban area population is around 270k. The equivalent value for Newcastle is over 800k. In terms of potential therefore Newcastle is bigger. They are also famed for their passion (no different from most other clubs) but it translates into paying for more than one shirt perhaps.

There is also that emphemeral thing about kudos. Do people think Newcastle are bigger than say West Brom or Coventry (similar urban populations)? Bigger than Sheffield (Weds or Utd)? Sunderland (when they were a force)? Probably yes. Do supporters of those clubs think so, probably not.

Nonetheless foreign owners in whose culture reputation, standing, personal glory and reflected sovereign glory, matter will be attracted to high profile playthings.

Do we want to be a plaything of an owner or do we want a hard nosed businessman/woman who wants profit rather than harder to measure kudos?
Active Owners. on 09:22 - Nov 12 with 769 viewssaints__fan__73

Active Owners. on 08:57 - Nov 12 by saint901

Statistics say that the Southampton urban area population is around 270k. The equivalent value for Newcastle is over 800k. In terms of potential therefore Newcastle is bigger. They are also famed for their passion (no different from most other clubs) but it translates into paying for more than one shirt perhaps.

There is also that emphemeral thing about kudos. Do people think Newcastle are bigger than say West Brom or Coventry (similar urban populations)? Bigger than Sheffield (Weds or Utd)? Sunderland (when they were a force)? Probably yes. Do supporters of those clubs think so, probably not.

Nonetheless foreign owners in whose culture reputation, standing, personal glory and reflected sovereign glory, matter will be attracted to high profile playthings.

Do we want to be a plaything of an owner or do we want a hard nosed businessman/woman who wants profit rather than harder to measure kudos?

Do we want to look good on the balance sheet or on the pitch?

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Active Owners. on 09:47 - Nov 12 with 750 viewsJaySaint

Population (2018)[2][3]
- City and unitary authority area
- Estimate (2017)
252,400 (Council area)
- Density
13,120/sq mi (5,065/km2)
- Urban

Southampton, that is

Also, Southamptons Metropolitan population is roughly the same as Newcastle's. They have the Tyne and Wear (1.6m), we have Sot'on and Ports (Solent), (1.5m)

so, why are we a provincial club and they are not?
[Post edited 12 Nov 2021 10:53]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Active Owners. on 10:28 - Nov 12 with 734 viewsgreen

I remember Nigel Adkins saying that you shouldn't get too high when you win nor too low when you lose and I think that needs to be taken into account with Hassenhutl.

He is not the best manager in the world because he took us to the top of the table or we've won the last two games nor is he the worst because he oversaw two 0-9 defeats and a terrible run of no wins last season.

I think he deserves credit for what he has achieved on a limited budget but he also should take (at least some) responsibility for what for me as a supporter were two deeply embarrassing 0-9 scorelines. To his credit though having gone down to 10 men against Leicester again last season, he must have learnt something because he shored up the defence and ultimately helped us to a creditable draw under the circumstances.

I agree with the benefit of stability and that Hassenhutl is currently the best person for the job at Southampton but that shouldn't mean that he escapes any form of scrutiny or at least some degree of pressure.
Active Owners. on 12:48 - Nov 12 with 699 viewsfranniesTache

Looks like we're well and truly screwed if these numbers are right. I'm not a particularly Gao out person as he wants to sell and can't, and having a self sufficient club is better for our future.

But looking at this we have absolutely no chance of competing and will more than likely be relegated sooner than get europe

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/How-Premier-League
Login to get fewer ads

Active Owners. on 14:28 - Nov 12 with 640 viewsBerber

Active Owners. on 12:48 - Nov 12 by franniesTache

Looks like we're well and truly screwed if these numbers are right. I'm not a particularly Gao out person as he wants to sell and can't, and having a self sufficient club is better for our future.

But looking at this we have absolutely no chance of competing and will more than likely be relegated sooner than get europe

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10108067/How-Premier-League

I agree, but that is the prognosis for most of the teams in the PL.
Active Owners. on 14:35 - Nov 12 with 625 viewsfranniesTache

Active Owners. on 14:28 - Nov 12 by Berber

I agree, but that is the prognosis for most of the teams in the PL.

Yup for all but a handful it's just a waiting game on relegation, it's why we needed the European Super League really, that was our chance to kick the money clubs out of the league.
Active Owners. on 14:42 - Nov 12 with 625 viewsButty101

Active Owners. on 12:48 - Nov 12 by franniesTache

That wiggle room table makes no sense! How can Burnley be allowed to lose 170mill and stay in the bounds of ffp. Yet we can only spend/lose 37mill. They have just had a reverse takeover we are told and massively in debt. Yet that tables totally disagrees with that.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Active Owners. on 15:24 - Nov 12 with 608 viewskingslandstand1

Active Owners. on 13:58 - Nov 11 by Bison

Christ, Hoseasons now! I remember when the Westlake family used to own it as used to work with one of the nephews who was "given" a decent share but didn't have a lot of involvement in running the place. You used to be able to go swimming down by the river as well and with your own tent!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024