Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread 08:45 - Nov 26 with 7918 viewsSaintNick

I might not be able to put this up tomorrow, so I have put it up a day early

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 09:19 - Nov 28 with 686 viewsMrangry25

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 23:43 - Nov 27 by A1079

When I saw the snow and the howling wind I kind of thought that this was not going to be the best of days and so it wasn't in just about every way.

4 hours from York to Liverpool on the train which was so full you could barely breath.

Anfield seems about as difficult a ground as there is to get to.

4-0 defeat was oddly around the type of result I was expecting. In truth my prediction was a 6-1 defeat and fellow Saints fans said I was being over optimistic to think we would score - and so they were proved right.

Another surprise selection and set up by Ralph. I could see what he was trying I just beg question why he would try it against a team like Liverpool. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but right at the start people around me were not convinced. If we had a prolific attack like Liverpool may be but we don't - in fact we are not even within touching distance.

I am struggling to find anyone that had a good game. I was going to give Romeu a pass until I saw his 2 failures to make a tackle on MOTD which played a part in 2 of the goals conceded the only person I feel I can give a free pass to is Tella who did try to make a difference. McCarthy did not actually do much wrong and he actually pulled off a good couple of saves.

Our midfield was non existent. Time and time again it was cut through to shreds. Our attack (if that is what you call it) was virtually non-existent and every time Liverpool poured forward it had a goal written all over it. It irks me to say it, Liverpool are very good, but what was disappointing is that, whilst I expected a heavy defeat I still hoped for a good performance and sadly I did not see anything like one. Too many sloppy balls, I don't think we strung 2 passes together and our corners were shocking. I have always been generally pro-JWP but so far this season he has gone missing. I_Would will say he has always been like that but he looks like someone who is all too comfortable, has no fear of not being picked and happy to take the money. He needs to buck his ideas up and fast.

Livramento who has been a revelation is starting to look a little less composed in the last few games and time may be coming for him to be rested. He is young and he is carrying the team too much with someone so new to this level. Salisu made some good interventions but then he was sloppy as well allowing the ball to run off him to the opposition. Armstrong sadly is simply not good enough at this level. He offers no real threat to anyone and is a championship player.

Many will say that this game was a free go. I never like that sort of thing and I always think we should compete (as we did against Man City) even if we end up losing. Today we did not. Ralph to be fair admits he got it wrong but it is about time he started getting it right. He has had long enough to learn. Steven Gerrard and Vierira seem to have learnt quite quickly.

I would say we have to get a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games, anything less really starts to make horrible reading. Ralph has to get it right. No excuses.

As for the Liverpool experience. No doubt they have quality all over the pitch and in abundance. But, that famous atmosphere - it was a damp squib. I have seen more atmosphere in my bathroom. Apart from a brief rendition of YNWA at the beginning their crowd offered absolutely nothing.

The Saints fans humour and ironic singing added something to what has been a disappointing day.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 0:02]

Great summing up of a disappointing performance. I still believe that if RH played Tino in front of KWP on the right it would give him more chance to show his attacking abilities and take the strain of him having to defend as well. Tella should be a starter imo. Bring on Leicester and 3 points.
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 09:24 - Nov 28 with 684 viewsCity_boy

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:24 - Nov 27 by ElijahK

Are you actually being serious when you say that Liverpool aren’t one of the best teams in the world right now!? I mean other than Bayern Munich, PSG and maybe Real Madrid/Barcelona the PL has easily some of the best teams in the world right now like Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool, all of which are certainly better than Real Madrid/Barcelona, so unless you only classify “one of the best teams in the world” as the top 4, then I seriously don’t get how you think that!? I mean they’re second in the league and literally won the champions league just over a year ago, and have (unfortunately) the best defender in the world right now, as well as one of the best, and probably most inform winger/forward in the world right now, Salah, as well as many other World class players.

You are missing the point on a number of posts here today.

Nobody is denying Liverpool are an in form team cable of turning anyone over and it was always going to be difficult to get anything at Anfield. It was the manner of the defeat and the tactical naivety that set us up to fail from opening minute.

The result could have also been a lot worse. 4-0 flattered us.

I am not one of those calling for Ralf to go, but even Ralf admitted the error of this set up today. It was obvious to all watching it was not working, but he still waited until we were 3-0 down (could have been 4/5) before acknowledging it was bad idea.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 9:26]
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 10:20 - Nov 28 with 622 viewssaintwizzler

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 09:24 - Nov 28 by City_boy

Nobody is denying Liverpool are an in form team cable of turning anyone over and it was always going to be difficult to get anything at Anfield. It was the manner of the defeat and the tactical naivety that set us up to fail from opening minute.

I am not one of those calling for Ralf to go, but even Ralf admitted the error of this set up today. It was obvious to all watching it was not working, but he still waited until we were 3-0 down (could have been 4/5) before acknowledging it was bad idea.

It’s as if he wants the sack.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 11:04 - Nov 28 with 600 viewsSadoldgit

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 09:24 - Nov 28 by City_boy

He may well have realised his plan wasn’t working much earlier, but how many managers do you know make a double substituatuon before half time? I feel sorry for the bloke. He got grief last season because he was stubborn and wouldn’t change things around. This season he has been more flexible and changes things around and gets grief. We don’t have a great squad. We have an average squad and he is trying to get the best out of them. Overall this season we have played ok but our finishing let us down. Yesterday we were given a lesson in how to dismantle a yrwsm with clinical passing and finishing. Liverpool have done the same to better teams than us.
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 11:50 - Nov 28 with 555 viewsA1079

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 11:04 - Nov 28 by Sadoldgit

He may well have realised his plan wasn’t working much earlier, but how many managers do you know make a double substituatuon before half time? I feel sorry for the bloke. He got grief last season because he was stubborn and wouldn’t change things around. This season he has been more flexible and changes things around and gets grief. We don’t have a great squad. We have an average squad and he is trying to get the best out of them. Overall this season we have played ok but our finishing let us down. Yesterday we were given a lesson in how to dismantle a yrwsm with clinical passing and finishing. Liverpool have done the same to better teams than us.

You make some good points SOG and I am not calling for RH to go, far from it. Trying something different like he did yesterday would have been fine - had it been Norwich or possibly Brighton next week. But Liverpool! Knowing how free flowing they are and knowing how easily they score goals and knowing how woeful we are in front of goal it didn't make sense. The thing is, the set up he put out yesterday may well work in front of some teams and yet I bet he doesn't try it again for a while because he picked the wrong game to do it.

On the act of substitutions when something is not working, actually Koeman did use to make changes before half time if something was not working. Ironically I think he made a double one at home against Liverpool when they were all over us and we went on to win - though admittedly we had a much better squad in terms of quality and depth.

The result yesterday is not the disappointment because as you say - given all that they have beaten and by healthy margins recently then I doubt that there was any Saints fan that did not expect a heavy loss. That said, Brighton managed to get a 2-2 draw not too long ago, so it is not beyond achievable even with a limited squad.

We have played well in some games this year and I have in the main enjoyed our performances and watching them but the 2nd half of Villa, 2nd half of Norwich were poor and our performance yesterday was non-existent. Some of our experienced players did not lead the line.

Anyway, we move on and hopefully strive for getting a minimum of 4 points from our next 2 games.
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 12:55 - Nov 28 with 510 viewsSadoldgit

Ralph seems to accept that the set up and shape was wrong first half and maybe it was too complicated to change things until half time in case there were injuries? I am just guessing but yes, it was clear that we were making it easy for them and we effectively lost the game before the first half was over. I get the feeling, whereas he kept to a basic team until injuries forced changes last season, this season, with a bigger squad, he is trying out different things. As we know, it didn’t work yesterday. He seems to be trying to find a way of keeping it tight defensively whilst still have an attacking threat, hence playing Armstrong and Broja as the main strikers with Che behind them as a kind of 10. We did actually create a few good chances (which we wasted again) but we completely lost it in midfield where Liverpool ran rings round us. If he had set up differently from the start perhaps it would have been a closer game, who knows? It probably couldn’t have been much worse as it was clear as soon as the countered after our very first attack that they could carve through us at will. Perhaps this system could work against lesser teams? Perhaps he will never try it again? It will be interesting to see what he does against Leicester. Tella looked up for it and probably deserves to start. Maybe Bednarek needs a rest? Tino looks like he could do with a rest although Ralph says that it’s more to do with teams working him out than tiredness.
It was our most comprehensive battering this season so here’s hoping it’s a one off and we can find a better balance between defence and attack before the end of the year!
Sorry for the waffle, late night last night and I didn’t sleep very well and kept rerunning that horrible first half in my head!!
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:23 - Nov 28 with 432 viewsA1079

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 12:55 - Nov 28 by Sadoldgit

Ralph seems to accept that the set up and shape was wrong first half and maybe it was too complicated to change things until half time in case there were injuries? I am just guessing but yes, it was clear that we were making it easy for them and we effectively lost the game before the first half was over. I get the feeling, whereas he kept to a basic team until injuries forced changes last season, this season, with a bigger squad, he is trying out different things. As we know, it didn’t work yesterday. He seems to be trying to find a way of keeping it tight defensively whilst still have an attacking threat, hence playing Armstrong and Broja as the main strikers with Che behind them as a kind of 10. We did actually create a few good chances (which we wasted again) but we completely lost it in midfield where Liverpool ran rings round us. If he had set up differently from the start perhaps it would have been a closer game, who knows? It probably couldn’t have been much worse as it was clear as soon as the countered after our very first attack that they could carve through us at will. Perhaps this system could work against lesser teams? Perhaps he will never try it again? It will be interesting to see what he does against Leicester. Tella looked up for it and probably deserves to start. Maybe Bednarek needs a rest? Tino looks like he could do with a rest although Ralph says that it’s more to do with teams working him out than tiredness.
It was our most comprehensive battering this season so here’s hoping it’s a one off and we can find a better balance between defence and attack before the end of the year!
Sorry for the waffle, late night last night and I didn’t sleep very well and kept rerunning that horrible first half in my head!!

No waffle at all SOG. Balanced views are always welcomed.

At the end of the day, we all want the best for our team we just may all have different views and opinions on how that may be achieved though I think on the whole Saints fans are pretty realistic and genuine.
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:31 - Nov 28 with 418 viewsSaintsforeverj

At the end of the day, Saints are 15th, with 2 home games to come. We could be in the top half come Saturday evening or we could be in the bottom 3. I suspect we will get a few points. Saints wouldn't even consider sacking Ralph unless we were cut adrift in the bottom 3. People forget that 17th is good enough for Gao, so these Ralph out calls will just fall on deaf ears. We don't have ambitious owners so all the while we are out of the bottom 3, they won't care, so get used to Saints being 15th, one odd win, two defeats that's the way it is. Two big games coming up and will set the mood of the fans going forward.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 18:33]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024