Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread 08:45 - Nov 26 with 7913 viewsSaintNick

I might not be able to put this up tomorrow, so I have put it up a day early

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:24 - Nov 27 with 1241 viewsElijahK

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:17 - Nov 27 by grumpy

Most of us didn't expect us to get anything today but it was the manner of the defeat that matters.
To play 3 up front was ridiculous at Liverpool.
Adams, Armstrong and Broja together was never going to work.
Adams was showing some form and scored at Norwich only to be subbed for the second half. Today he was hauled off again. Armstrong and Adams were showing some promise until all that happened.
Today Liverpool toyed with us and I do not like to see that.
Liverpool are not one of the best teams in the world.

Are you actually being serious when you say that Liverpool aren’t one of the best teams in the world right now!? I mean other than Bayern Munich, PSG and maybe Real Madrid/Barcelona the PL has easily some of the best teams in the world right now like Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool, all of which are certainly better than Real Madrid/Barcelona, so unless you only classify “one of the best teams in the world” as the top 4, then I seriously don’t get how you think that!? I mean they’re second in the league and literally won the champions league just over a year ago, and have (unfortunately) the best defender in the world right now, as well as one of the best, and probably most inform winger/forward in the world right now, Salah, as well as many other World class players.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:24 - Nov 27 with 1229 viewsSadoldgit

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 16:55 - Nov 27 by grumpy

We made them look a great team.

They are a great team. They have some of the best players in the world. Why should we be surprised if they turn us over?

(Or we’re you being sarcastic?) 😉
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:26 - Nov 27 with 1222 viewsSaintsforeverj

Four nil wasn't too bad in the end. Arsenal also lost four nil last week, but 4 nil at 55 minutes did panic us all, obviously! Liverpool away is horrible, Ralph did get it wrong today but let's get out of there and hope we get back on track Wednesday.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 17:27]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:27 - Nov 27 with 1218 viewssaint68

Oddly enough that starting line up was picked a week too late.

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:30 - Nov 27 with 1209 viewssaintwizzler

He always has to fûck about with the team.
Play 4-4-2/4-2-2 with players who favour that position.

Liverpool are one of three elite teams in the league but when we are not doing the basics of first touch and man marking no wonder we are losing to the likes of Norwich.

Hassenhüttl won’t be sacked while we are in touching distant of staying up as THE CLUB IS UP FOR SALE.
So why would we sack him and spend money to do so whilst the club stays in the league?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:36 - Nov 27 with 1196 viewsgrumpy

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:24 - Nov 27 by ElijahK

Are you actually being serious when you say that Liverpool aren’t one of the best teams in the world right now!? I mean other than Bayern Munich, PSG and maybe Real Madrid/Barcelona the PL has easily some of the best teams in the world right now like Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool, all of which are certainly better than Real Madrid/Barcelona, so unless you only classify “one of the best teams in the world” as the top 4, then I seriously don’t get how you think that!? I mean they’re second in the league and literally won the champions league just over a year ago, and have (unfortunately) the best defender in the world right now, as well as one of the best, and probably most inform winger/forward in the world right now, Salah, as well as many other World class players.

Yes I am being serious, you've just mentioned Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid,Barcelona.
RB Leipzig ,Dortmund would have the beating of Liverpool. I would imagine there are one or two clubs in Brazil and Argentina that could claim to be one of the best in the world.
I rate Man City and Chelsea above Liverpool too, so how far down the list do you want to
go?
Van Dijk marking Armstrong today was embarrassing.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 17:40]
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:45 - Nov 27 with 1156 viewsSadoldgit

I am more gutted about the Norwich result than this. At least Ralph tried something different (and who many times has he been criticised for being stubborn and inflexible?). Ok, it didn’t work but we were never likely to get a result so why not try something else? We also have a match on Wednesday where are are more likely to get something so perhaps giving KWP a rest and giving Lycano a run out wasn’t a bad idea?
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:01 - Nov 27 with 1127 viewsTripleNiemi

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:30 - Nov 27 by saintwizzler

He always has to fûck about with the team.
Play 4-4-2/4-2-2 with players who favour that position.

Liverpool are one of three elite teams in the league but when we are not doing the basics of first touch and man marking no wonder we are losing to the likes of Norwich.

Hassenhüttl won’t be sacked while we are in touching distant of staying up as THE CLUB IS UP FOR SALE.
So why would we sack him and spend money to do so whilst the club stays in the league?

Up until now i have maintained my support for Ralph as i am an advocate for stability (and also to be fair, fear who we would get if we got rid) but i tell you what, it is wearing blöody thin now.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Login to get fewer ads

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:14 - Nov 27 with 1095 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 17:36 - Nov 27 by grumpy

Yes I am being serious, you've just mentioned Bayern Munich, PSG, Real Madrid,Barcelona.
RB Leipzig ,Dortmund would have the beating of Liverpool. I would imagine there are one or two clubs in Brazil and Argentina that could claim to be one of the best in the world.
I rate Man City and Chelsea above Liverpool too, so how far down the list do you want to
go?

Bottom of the class you go!

https://footballdatabase.com/ranking/world/1

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:23 - Nov 27 with 1084 viewsgrumpy

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:14 - Nov 27 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Lets just see when these clubs play Liverpool in the future how well they do.
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:29 - Nov 27 with 1068 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:23 - Nov 27 by grumpy

Lets just see when these clubs play Liverpool in the future how well they do.

How many games do they have to lose before slipping right down?

http://www.globalfootballrankings.com/compare?first=BarclaysPremierLeague&se

Not very good at this are you?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:33 - Nov 27 with 1062 viewsgrumpy

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:29 - Nov 27 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

How many games do they have to lose before slipping right down?

Not very good at this are you?

Can you find a few more stat tables, I find it hilarious that a Pompey fan spends so much time digging them out for our board.
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:44 - Nov 27 with 1042 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:33 - Nov 27 by grumpy

Can you find a few more stat tables, I find it hilarious that a Pompey fan spends so much time digging them out for our board.

I'm just a football fan, but what you have just stated is ridiculous. I've shown you the stats that prove it ; that's all

The strongest league in the world
3 particuarly good teams
Liverpool champions 18 months ago
European champs 30 months ago

But they aren't even in the top 10 worldwide ; ridiculous

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 19:31 - Nov 27 with 999 viewshedgeend61

go?

You obviously haven't seen Real Madrid, Barcelona, Leipzig or Dortmund this season as Liverpool would have beaten all of them as easy as they beat us, and Arsenal the other week by the same score.
They'd probably be favourites to beat PSG and Bayern tbh.
No team in South America are even close.

So give your head a shake, you're not being serious, are you?
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 19:42 - Nov 27 with 979 viewsElijahK

go?

Yeah I agree that Man City and Chelsea are better than them, as well as PSG and Bayern Munich, but Barca and Real Madrid aren’t better (I only named them as they are still some of the best teams out there, but not better than any of the ones I’ve named above or Liverpool at the moment), and even if you were to add them in front then they’re 7th (whilst most people would agree they’re like 5th). But how the heck you rate South American Teams who always loose almost all their great players to European teams (hence why almost all the players in the Brazilian, Argentinian, Colombian etc teams are almost fully composed of players in Europe), RB Leipzig and Dortmund (both of which are out of the champions league (with Dortmund doing dreadful being behind the likes of Ajax and Sporting Lisbon! As well as Leipzig being 8th in the Bundesliga)) is just insane! As I’m certainly someone who’s far from loving Liverpool, but you can’t deny that they’re one of the best teams in the world right now, and in my view (and many others) there’s only 4 teams that are currently better than them across the whole world!

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 19:45 - Nov 27 with 970 viewsElijahK

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 18:14 - Nov 27 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

I dunno if that sights the most accurate but yeah Liverpool certainly are in the top 5 and certainly one of the best teams in the world right now

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 20:26 - Nov 27 with 916 viewsgrumpy

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 19:45 - Nov 27 by ElijahK

I dunno if that sights the most accurate but yeah Liverpool certainly are in the top 5 and certainly one of the best teams in the world right now

ok I concede, Liverpool are a world class team.
But to say that after playing Saints today.............
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 22:45 - Nov 27 with 807 viewsElijahK

Just watched MOTD to see the first half, and sorry but I’m even more confused as to why Ralph’s getting all this stick!? As we had 4 great opportunities to score, and if they’d been Ings’s them he’d of probably scored all 4, or certainly at least 3 of them! But that’s shows that our attacking tactics are working seeing how we’re getting past some of the best defences in the world, but as we’ve only got championship strikers we can’t score them!
And with the defence well 3 of their 4 goals (if not 4 of the 4) just came from stupid/poor mistakes (the first was Bednerak’s, 2nd was Salisu’s/Livermento’s, 3rd was just a load of the players not in position which lead to it and the 4th was Romeu’s) which in the end is down to the lack of quality in the squad, rather than issues with the mangers tactics or such.

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 23:05 - Nov 27 with 788 viewsSaintsforeverj

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 22:45 - Nov 27 by ElijahK

Just watched MOTD to see the first half, and sorry but I’m even more confused as to why Ralph’s getting all this stick!? As we had 4 great opportunities to score, and if they’d been Ings’s them he’d of probably scored all 4, or certainly at least 3 of them! But that’s shows that our attacking tactics are working seeing how we’re getting past some of the best defences in the world, but as we’ve only got championship strikers we can’t score them!
And with the defence well 3 of their 4 goals (if not 4 of the 4) just came from stupid/poor mistakes (the first was Bednerak’s, 2nd was Salisu’s/Livermento’s, 3rd was just a load of the players not in position which lead to it and the 4th was Romeu’s) which in the end is down to the lack of quality in the squad, rather than issues with the mangers tactics or such.

Ralph got it wrong today and to his credit he admitted it. We really should have kept it tight, with Diallo and Romeu as holding midfielders. Easy to say in hindsight, but that's how we played at Man City and came away with a point. It was far too open today, playing three strikers up front against one of the world's best teams.

But what you say is true that had we had top strikers up front, playing like we did, might have worked. But we don't. This is what Ralph needs to realise and did seem to realise for most of this season that our strikers arn't good enough. We can attack but we don't score. So leaving it open at the back whilst we attack doesn't work. We went gung ho, attacking from the first minute and what happened? Liverpool scored straight away. We need to keep it tight, everyone compact in their position and hope to win one nil. We just arn't good enough to do anything else. And this is where Ralph could be much more successful with a better team and better strikers. But he hasn't so needs to more clever with the dross he has to work with.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 23:09]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 23:36 - Nov 27 with 761 viewsdarthvader

Gutted .
The team changes and tactics were off .But after they beat Arsenal by 4 last week ,and we lost to the worst team in the prem , i was expecting another massacre .

So the one consolation is ...it wasnt more.

keep the faith coyr

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 23:43 - Nov 27 with 751 viewsA1079

When I saw the snow and the howling wind I kind of thought that this was not going to be the best of days and so it wasn't in just about every way.

4 hours from York to Liverpool on the train which was so full you could barely breath.

Anfield seems about as difficult a ground as there is to get to.

4-0 defeat was oddly around the type of result I was expecting. In truth my prediction was a 6-1 defeat and fellow Saints fans said I was being over optimistic to think we would score - and so they were proved right.

Another surprise selection and set up by Ralph. I could see what he was trying I just beg question why he would try it against a team like Liverpool. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but right at the start people around me were not convinced. If we had a prolific attack like Liverpool may be but we don't - in fact we are not even within touching distance.

I am struggling to find anyone that had a good game. I was going to give Romeu a pass until I saw his 2 failures to make a tackle on MOTD which played a part in 2 of the goals conceded the only person I feel I can give a free pass to is Tella who did try to make a difference. McCarthy did not actually do much wrong and he actually pulled off a good couple of saves.

Our midfield was non existent. Time and time again it was cut through to shreds. Our attack (if that is what you call it) was virtually non-existent and every time Liverpool poured forward it had a goal written all over it. It irks me to say it, Liverpool are very good, but what was disappointing is that, whilst I expected a heavy defeat I still hoped for a good performance and sadly I did not see anything like one. Too many sloppy balls, I don't think we strung 2 passes together and our corners were shocking. I have always been generally pro-JWP but so far this season he has gone missing. I_Would will say he has always been like that but he looks like someone who is all too comfortable, has no fear of not being picked and happy to take the money. He needs to buck his ideas up and fast.

Livramento who has been a revelation is starting to look a little less composed in the last few games and time may be coming for him to be rested. He is young and he is carrying the team too much with someone so new to this level. Salisu made some good interventions but then he was sloppy as well allowing the ball to run off him to the opposition. Armstrong sadly is simply not good enough at this level. He offers no real threat to anyone and is a championship player.

Many will say that this game was a free go. I never like that sort of thing and I always think we should compete (as we did against Man City) even if we end up losing. Today we did not. Ralph to be fair admits he got it wrong but it is about time he started getting it right. He has had long enough to learn. Steven Gerrard and Vierira seem to have learnt quite quickly.

I would say we have to get a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games, anything less really starts to make horrible reading. Ralph has to get it right. No excuses.

As for the Liverpool experience. No doubt they have quality all over the pitch and in abundance. But, that famous atmosphere - it was a damp squib. I have seen more atmosphere in my bathroom. Apart from a brief rendition of YNWA at the beginning their crowd offered absolutely nothing.

The Saints fans humour and ironic singing added something to what has been a disappointing day.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2021 0:02]
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 01:29 - Nov 28 with 707 viewsDorsetIan

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 23:43 - Nov 27 by A1079

When I saw the snow and the howling wind I kind of thought that this was not going to be the best of days and so it wasn't in just about every way.

4 hours from York to Liverpool on the train which was so full you could barely breath.

4-0 defeat was oddly around the type of result I was expecting. In truth my prediction was a 6-1 defeat and fellow Saints fans said I was being over optimistic to think we would score - and so they were proved right.

Another surprise selection and set up by Ralph. I could see what he was trying I just beg question why he would try it against a team like Liverpool. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but right at the start people around me were not convinced. If we had a prolific attack like Liverpool may be but we don't - in fact we are not even within touching distance.

I am struggling to find anyone that had a good game. I was going to give Romeu a pass until I saw his 2 failures to make a tackle on MOTD which played a part in 2 of the goals conceded the only person I feel I can give a free pass to is Tella who did try to make a difference. McCarthy did not actually do much wrong and he actually pulled off a good couple of saves.

Our midfield was non existent. Time and time again it was cut through to shreds. Our attack (if that is what you call it) was virtually non-existent and every time Liverpool poured forward it had a goal written all over it. It irks me to say it, Liverpool are very good, but what was disappointing is that, whilst I expected a heavy defeat I still hoped for a good performance and sadly I did not see anything like one. Too many sloppy balls, I don't think we strung 2 passes together and our corners were shocking. I have always been generally pro-JWP but so far this season he has gone missing. I_Would will say he has always been like that but he looks like someone who is all too comfortable, has no fear of not being picked and happy to take the money. He needs to buck his ideas up and fast.

Livramento who has been a revelation is starting to look a little less composed in the last few games and time may be coming for him to be rested. He is young and he is carrying the team too much with someone so new to this level. Salisu made some good interventions but then he was sloppy as well allowing the ball to run off him to the opposition. Armstrong sadly is simply not good enough at this level. He offers no real threat to anyone and is a championship player.

Many will say that this game was a free go. I never like that sort of thing and I always think we should compete (as we did against Man City) even if we end up losing. Today we did not. Ralph to be fair admits he got it wrong but it is about time he started getting it right. He has had long enough to learn. Steven Gerrard and Vierira seem to have learnt quite quickly.

I would say we have to get a minimum of 4 points from the next 2 games, anything less really starts to make horrible reading. Ralph has to get it right. No excuses.

As for the Liverpool experience. No doubt they have quality all over the pitch and in abundance. But, that famous atmosphere - it was a damp squib. I have seen more atmosphere in my bathroom. Apart from a brief rendition of YNWA at the beginning their crowd offered absolutely nothing.

The Saints fans humour and ironic singing added something to what has been a disappointing day.

Absolutely spot on summary. Informed, measured and 100% accurate.

Watching MOTD and the space Robertson had for first goal assist was ridiculous. He basically had a third of the penalty area to run into completely unchallenged. And that is all down to the set up and players, playing in an unfamiliar set up, not having a scooby doo what they should be doing.

I agree 4 points needed from next two, and Ralph needs to stop getting it so wrong so often.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 08:18 - Nov 28 with 617 viewssaint22

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 23:43 - Nov 27 by A1079

As usual a1079 spot in
I agree jwp looks poor, he seems to have become Redmond of old and turns backwards constantly and his set piece delivery seems to have vanished
Ralph got it so wrong yesterday Diallo was needed, everyone knows you need a solid midfield against Liverpool, he would have been far better playing our usual back 4 and solidifying the midfield to stop them
Why KWP was dropped who knows?
As fir Armstrong, Ings he isn’t
4 points minimum from the next two
Damn shame villa got Gerrard
Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 08:25 - Nov 28 with 603 viewsHeisenberg

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 08:18 - Nov 28 by saint22

As usual a1079 spot in
I agree jwp looks poor, he seems to have become Redmond of old and turns backwards constantly and his set piece delivery seems to have vanished
Ralph got it so wrong yesterday Diallo was needed, everyone knows you need a solid midfield against Liverpool, he would have been far better playing our usual back 4 and solidifying the midfield to stop them

There is no way Gerrard would even entertain Saints. Villa are a wealthier and much bigger club with ambitions. Do well with them and he will be nailed on for the Liverpool job once Klopp moves on.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 08:47 - Nov 28 with 583 views1teeminants

Liverpool Game Matchday Thread on 08:18 - Nov 28 by saint22

As usual a1079 spot in

Diallo twisted his ankle in training and wasn’t available. Stu Armstrong also injured.

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024