Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who does Steve Cook Replace? 15:00 - Dec 29 with 32173 viewsHastings_Hoops

I would imagine that Steve Cook will be joining us on the assumption of first team football - in which case, who does he replace (style of play / positioning) - I must admit to being a bit ignorant on that one.

Also, I assume that this indicates that:

1) Dickie and / or Barbet will definitely be gone by next season.
Or
2) we’re planning ahead and assuming Cook’s experience could be a great help to Dickie and Dunne in settling into the prem.

…most likely hedging our bets each way.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:44 - Jan 3 with 5236 viewsDejR_vu

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:23 - Jan 3 by Antti_Heinola

I am genuinely sorry that our row stopped you from posting. The best thing to do is block me and carry on posting and contributing. This site is far more important than one self-important tw@t like me ruining your experience.

While I'm not for everyone, I think and hope I co-exist on more than friendly terms with 90% of this board (ok, 80% - shut up), but on that occasion I deeply disagreed with your post and said so. I do find Myke's recurring worries in a really good, entertaining season a bit much (but that is what a forum is for, of course - everyone has an opinion, and everyone can point out that they think they are profoundly wrong) but I have a new year's resolution to be kinder and less sarcastic on here to certain posters and make better judgements on what is a harmless ribbing (which I genuinely thought the one on this thread was, actually (while I meant every word of it, the Willock line, the only bit directed at Myke, was meant to be a joke... sort of. A harmless dig, anyway)) but clearly I misjudged and Myke was a bit PO'd - fair enough) and what is a bit snide. I've already been extremely well-behaved with paulparker, for instance. I haven't upset him in months, even liking and agreeing with some of his recent posts (which worries me) - I'm working on myself, I really am.

So - please: block me. I don't care, I really don't. Why should I? I've blocked a dozen people on here, some absolute nuggets who probably don't post here anymore anyway, and were only here for the wind-up, but still a couple who regularly post, and the board is a much happier place for it. Life's too short to be cross with me. Who the hell am I? Why are you upset by me? Block me. Move on. We like to say 'We're all Rangers' but that's a bit ridiculous. We (you and me) don't like each other (although, genuinely, that post you made was the only one I ever read that I ever had any proper issue with and always considered you a top, top poster on here as Jamie Redkapp would say), and that's fine. That is life. Come on and give your views on whether we should sign Kasey Palmer. Get involved. Clive deserves it. Don't punish the site for one row with me.

99 times out of 100, i’d have let it go. But I considered on that occasion, on that sensitive thread, that your insinuation was such that I couldn’t.

On the issue of punishing Clive / this site, I was that incensed I reported the posts as abusive (I think I had only ever done that once before in however many years). I messaged Clive privately, he looked at it and said he felt it was just a spat between two posters. That was absolutely fine , I have no beef with Clive, but I disagreed, again, probably because I considered the insinuation so horrible. As I said earlier I consider you to be snide. I believe you knew exactly what you were insinuating. So, it’s not an issue of simply hitting the ignore button.

On the point of you deeply disagreeing with my post, as I recall, Anton’s family ( I think his mum) made the same point as I had made.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2022 15:53]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:44 - Jan 3 with 5007 viewsPinnerPaul

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:44 - Jan 3 by DejR_vu

99 times out of 100, i’d have let it go. But I considered on that occasion, on that sensitive thread, that your insinuation was such that I couldn’t.

On the issue of punishing Clive / this site, I was that incensed I reported the posts as abusive (I think I had only ever done that once before in however many years). I messaged Clive privately, he looked at it and said he felt it was just a spat between two posters. That was absolutely fine , I have no beef with Clive, but I disagreed, again, probably because I considered the insinuation so horrible. As I said earlier I consider you to be snide. I believe you knew exactly what you were insinuating. So, it’s not an issue of simply hitting the ignore button.

On the point of you deeply disagreeing with my post, as I recall, Anton’s family ( I think his mum) made the same point as I had made.

I do have ignored posters, but lately have found ignoring threads just as beneficial to mental wellbeing!

Only so many times you can state your case, if people keep repeating what you believe to be patently untrue and/or winds you up or alternatively if I just get fed up of reading about the topic - covid an obvious one for many I would think - I just ignore the thread.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:51 - Jan 3 with 4965 viewsaston_hoop

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:44 - Jan 3 by PinnerPaul

I do have ignored posters, but lately have found ignoring threads just as beneficial to mental wellbeing!

Only so many times you can state your case, if people keep repeating what you believe to be patently untrue and/or winds you up or alternatively if I just get fed up of reading about the topic - covid an obvious one for many I would think - I just ignore the thread.

Yeah same, blocking threads is a good idea. Took a break recently because there was one too many obvious 'one-issue' posters who would pop up spouting the same nonsense and a couple of obvious people with multiple accounts. Stuck them on block and the quality of debate is much improved.

In the end, debate and multiple views are good, but it hurts nobody to be civil about it rather than arrogant and condescending (FWIW, never actually noticed Antti being one of the bad ones!)

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 16:56 - Jan 3 with 4946 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:44 - Jan 3 by DejR_vu

Really not going to get back into it, because the argument was well and truly done to death at the time, including your final point below.

As we can see from replies to our lovers tiff here, no one wants to see a re-hash of an argument of six months ago between two people who are never going to agree or back down, so to make sure this ends now, and to save Clive the dreadful bother of hauling through this nonsense if you complain again, I think I'll take my own advice in my previous post and block like Paul Collingwood trying to bat for two days to save a Test match.

Bare bones.

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:04 - Jan 3 with 4874 viewsMick_S

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:50 - Jan 3 by kensalriser

Never mind we'll find someone like him.

Adele signing?

Only kidding mate.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:52 - Jan 3 with 4660 viewsstevenagehoop

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:12 - Jan 3 by Northernr

Charlie Goode was another we thought was coming, didn't, and we just went and got Dickie instead, which worked out quite nicely.

Once you start breaking your wage structure to get a name signing over the line you're fcked. You'll get every member of the squad banging your door down asking for a better deal, there'll be resentment, people will want to know why it was one rule for them when they were negotiating but it's a different rule for somebody else. Make them an offer, if they want to go and be the latest flavour of the month at Nottingham Forest instead then let them go and move on.

Don’t disagree with any of that - but if all it is is an offer that has been accepted and they’re still being touted to others prefer the no news until they’ve signed option -

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:22 - Jan 4 with 4089 viewstkqpr

Medical at Forest, looks like we missed out on a leader!?
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:35 - Jan 4 with 4044 viewsstantheman10

Read this morning that Cook is going to Forest
Login to get fewer ads

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:44 - Jan 4 with 4004 viewsJPC

I think on balance I'm OK with this one not going through. I wasn't wholly convinced that we needed a new Centre back unless we were sure that Dickie would be sold / Jordi was out for months or Warbs had no faith in Kakay being able to move inside. To my mind getting wingback cover feels more urgent right now, but again, I think this management team has proven that it knows what it's doing.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:59 - Jan 4 with 3927 viewsstantheman10

Why don't we just recall Masterson? He's not a kid he's 23! If he's not good enough now he never will be. He'll only be there for cover and will save us a fortune
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:01 - Jan 4 with 3890 viewsgazza1

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:59 - Jan 4 by stantheman10

Why don't we just recall Masterson? He's not a kid he's 23! If he's not good enough now he never will be. He'll only be there for cover and will save us a fortune

Fair point if we can recall......
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:02 - Jan 4 with 3909 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I think he has just been recalled.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:39 - Jan 4 with 3814 viewsdmm

Masterson has returned as his loan agreement finished yesterday and Cambridge do not appear to want him to stay.

I read recently that Warburton wants him to continue to be out on loan this season but that obviously depends on a club wanting to take him.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:51 - Jan 4 with 3743 viewsGhost_on_the_Westway

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:39 - Jan 4 by dmm

Masterson has returned as his loan agreement finished yesterday and Cambridge do not appear to want him to stay.

I read recently that Warburton wants him to continue to be out on loan this season but that obviously depends on a club wanting to take him.

From what a CUFC mate has told me a couple of times during the course of the loan, it doesn’t appear to have gone very well for him there, so I doubt he’s ready to step up for us quite yet.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:18 - Jan 4 with 3436 viewsHAYESBOY

On SKY. Signed for Forest.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:19 - Jan 4 with 3433 viewsbosh67

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 17:18 - Jan 4 by HAYESBOY

On SKY. Signed for Forest.

Yup, and takes squad number 5,125 there.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:29 - Jan 4 with 3207 viewsDavieQPR

He's a kid in playing terms. Only played 37 first team games with 21 of those in a lower division.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 18:48 - Jan 4 with 3147 viewspaulhoop2

Erm…. So are you asking to be blocked ? 🤣🤣

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 19:42 - Jan 4 with 2968 viewstkqpr

In answer to the initial Post....... Joe Worrall?
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 10:36 - Jan 5 with 2469 viewsEsox_Lucius

Lee Hoos' preferred method (summary of his own words) is to wait until near the end of the window when clubs are getting desperate to offload players/ send players out on loan so that QPR can reap the best financially beneficial terms for QPR. I am fairly sure there will targets already identified in this scenario and we, as fans, won't hear about it until they are over the line.
The downside would be that the players have to hit the ground running to be of any real impact but the upside will be attracting decent players at bargain basement prices who will, hopefully slot into our style of play.

The grass is always greener.

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:11 - Jan 5 with 2324 viewsLazyFan

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:13 - Jan 3 by Stainrod

Fair comment. I suppose then I would give the example of Naki Wells (a striker I appreciate). Most of us were gutted to miss out on him, now Bristol City couldn't give him away on a free because some other mug would have to match his vast wages. Or that Scottish defender (McKenna?) who Forest also "beat" us to. For all I know he is having a great season but you don't hear of Premier League clubs chasing him the way we do Dickie, who we went out and got instead.

Sometimes there is a player who can transform your team - Buzacky when he arrived (the first really decent player in ages) or Adel. Or you are crying out for a particular position to be filled. But not sure Cook is worth breaking the wage structure/ upsetting the camaraderie for. The very fact we had a thread of several pages trying to work out who Cook would replace suggests he wasn't that special. Yes we need a fit centre half to compete with the existing three but how many of us, hand on heart, could even picture Cook when we were first connected with him? Fair play to Forest, we wanted him, they got him, he sounds an excellent signing for them, but with the organisation we now have in place would be surprised if we didn't already have a plan b in place.

And if we don't, we just keep buggering on. Look at Brum yesterday, had to field not merely kids but players who were virtually children. I keep reading we desperately need wing backs but we have Uncle, Odubaju and Osman on the right, Wallace, Sam and Nico on the left. Yes we all know several of them have injury issues, AFCON, concerns about how good Kakay/ Nico are etc - but we are not a Champs League club, we are a Championship outfit with a smaller than average budget. If we can't get people we just have to muddle through somehow.

The position we need is LB.

Wallace is great, but only available some of the time. Thus we need backup. Sam was that but is injured and not ours. Nico was thought to be great but has not progressed defensively. Therefore when Sam goes back we only have Wallace who will be out for some time as past evidence shows us and Nico who it seems is not good enough.

This would mean next season as we have already experienced this season we have no established LB to play and others have had to fill in. We have had Kakay, Willock, Barbet, Field and others all have a go and it has not worked. We need a LB to cover Wallace.

Now we could wait until the summer or we could bring one in now that's has their contract expiring and get them cheap, which is what we did with Freeman so, we have done it before. This way we get them to bed in for next season, see if we have not made a mistake with them (ala Wheeler) and hopefully young so we have resale value.

However, if we wait until the summer, while they may be more options, there are also agents who know we need a LB. Also, we don't know how good they will be. Best we find out early if we can.

I suspect Ozzy and Nico will be sold in the summer if not before with Nico. Probably to newly-promoted Champ clubs or League One clubs with a little money (I know fantasy).

I would be surprised if we start next season without signing a LB.

zzzzzzzzzz

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 12:04 - Jan 5 with 2179 viewsLowerloftLad

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 11:11 - Jan 5 by LazyFan

The position we need is LB.

Wallace is great, but only available some of the time. Thus we need backup. Sam was that but is injured and not ours. Nico was thought to be great but has not progressed defensively. Therefore when Sam goes back we only have Wallace who will be out for some time as past evidence shows us and Nico who it seems is not good enough.

This would mean next season as we have already experienced this season we have no established LB to play and others have had to fill in. We have had Kakay, Willock, Barbet, Field and others all have a go and it has not worked. We need a LB to cover Wallace.

Now we could wait until the summer or we could bring one in now that's has their contract expiring and get them cheap, which is what we did with Freeman so, we have done it before. This way we get them to bed in for next season, see if we have not made a mistake with them (ala Wheeler) and hopefully young so we have resale value.

However, if we wait until the summer, while they may be more options, there are also agents who know we need a LB. Also, we don't know how good they will be. Best we find out early if we can.

I suspect Ozzy and Nico will be sold in the summer if not before with Nico. Probably to newly-promoted Champ clubs or League One clubs with a little money (I know fantasy).

I would be surprised if we start next season without signing a LB.

30 almost 31.

Deemed not good enough for Bournemouth plans next season so not prem quality.

No value In terms of buying low and selling high.

So it all points to a forest signing.

It's interesting that hoos says to wait for better value as forest have already made a couple of signings.

I get that not every player through the door will be signed will be to make a profit but there was something about this signing that didn't make much sense Bournemouth seemed eager to get him off the books.
[Post edited 5 Jan 2022 12:05]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:38 - Jan 5 with 1939 viewsNorthernr

On the mentalness of January and the Championship in general, Middlesbrough have agreed to foot Balogun's £40k a week wage and pay a large agent fee to borrow him until May.

We cannot, and absolutely should not, be playing stupid games like that.
Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 14:56 - Jan 5 with 1784 viewsLazyFan

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:38 - Jan 5 by Northernr

On the mentalness of January and the Championship in general, Middlesbrough have agreed to foot Balogun's £40k a week wage and pay a large agent fee to borrow him until May.

I wonder what happens when Dunne flattens him in the first 5 mins and he comes off nursing a sore toe!

zzzzzzzzzz

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 15:03 - Jan 5 with 1769 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Who does Steve Cook Replace? on 13:38 - Jan 5 by Northernr

How on earth is someone who has played twice for Arsenal on 40k a week?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024